GS Case-Switching

Survivalism

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

I've mentioned this in the past, but my Gamestop has recently taken to switching out the display cases you pick out to buy with ones in the back, usually ones that are beaten to hell and nowhere near as nice as the one picked out, and missing any codes or what have you that may have been in them. For the most part, I haven't felt the need to complain but I'm completely aware that it's happening. I know all I have to do is ask, but that's not the point.

I just saw someone in another thread mention it happening to them as well, which, to my knowledge, I hadn't heard anyone else complain of yet. A few days ago I e-mailed customer service, not even to complain (because, again, and before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm fully aware I'm allowing it to happen), but really just to ask what the reasoning behind it was. I argued that it was counterproductive for the employees to walk all the way to the back, climb ladders and dig through shelves every time someone buys a used game, and it's unfair to the people who aren't noticing this happen. I asked if this was company policy or if it only took place in my store, or if it was to get rid of the junk in the back while keeping their shelves attractive. I didn't ask for any kind of compensation, I didn't name names, just that it was deceptive to switch an item someone was willing to pay for with one they might not and hope they don't notice.

To, frankly, my surprise, they replied and asked that I give them a detailed account of what happened, the store details, the employee's name (ouch), my name and number and my receipts, and that they'd relay it to the district manager. I'm interested to see what will happen. I'm also interested to see if this is happening to anyone else yet and if it has, fire them a (POLITE) letter and see what they do.

If you do write to them, though, please don't throw any employees under the bus unless they truly deserve it, as I have no idea what they're going to do with that information. Maybe nothing at all, but it's a pretty serious thing to complain about an employee to the DM, and I don't want any good people in trouble. If they're a dick, though, totally get them in trouble.

My friend had this happen, and he just outright asked "Is there any reason I can't have the case that I picked out?" They didn't argue or anything and said sure. I think it's because they want to keep the games on their shelves looking nice.

[quote name='Jut']My friend had this happen, and he just outright asked "Is there any reason I can't have the case that I picked out?" They didn't argue or anything and said sure. I think it's because they want to keep the games on their shelves looking nice.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree, and that's the answer I was expecting which is why I was so surprised they wanted all the details. Admittedly, I tend to be a bit non-confrontational, especially with this particular employee there who's pretty sketchy, which is why I don't want to complain. I just think it's lame that they do this to people who don't know any better.

I picked up a copy of Blue Dragon used at a local GameStop a few weeks ago. I wasn't going to buy it, but the case was in good shape, and when I opened it up, it had a whole bunch of inserts/maps that I didn't realize existed.

After I paid, the cashier dipped under the counter for a second before handing me my games. After I got home, I checked the bag and saw that all the inserts had been removed.

No, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']I picked up a copy of Blue Dragon used at a local GameStop a few weeks ago. I wasn't going to buy it, but the case was in good shape, and when I opened it up, it had a whole bunch of inserts/maps that I didn't realize existed.

After I paid, the cashier dipped under the counter for a second before handing me my games. After I got home, I checked the bag and saw that all the inserts had been removed.

No, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.[/QUOTE]

that would've pissed me off so damn much.

This happened to me about a week ago... I picked out nice looking cases w/ manuals+ coverart for Soul Calibur IV and Skate, brought them up, and he switched them out for generic GameStop cases w/ no manuals/coverart. I was confused and just paid and left (I get extremely aggitated around people and hate dealing with shit like this so I always just walk away to get away from it, and I also hate calling people out on their bullshit, I just try to be as nice and polite as I can)....

anyways, I get out and my friend could tell I was pissed about it so she went back in with my receipt and the games, and they straight up lied to her and said they had no other cases (even though there were 3+ of each game in the bins, not to mention some on the walls)... she was able to get me my 25 percent bonus though, (which the guy also didnt give me even though I mentioned it to him several times. (i also had done a trade in of a bunch of games towards Battlefield BC2 and Splinter Cell Conviction.) )

I just found it funny that they told her they had no cases w/ coverart +manuals, when I specifically handed him the items I wanted to purchase, and he switched them with generic beat up black GameStop coverart cases, which also by the way, had the little circular stickers on the back of the cases (just noticed this now), which I think means these were from the online warehouse, the discs are in shitty shape too, my guess is someone bought these online and had to return them, and then they switched my games out for this crap lol.....

I guess I just always have bad luck shopping with GameStop.

Apparently the guy did tell her that the games could be taken to any other GameStop and switched for other cases... I just don't see why he wouldn't just give us the cases he hid under the counter.

edit:

oh and me, my brother and his friend all went back to this gamestop a few days ago and his friend bought copies of Soul Calibur IV and Lost Odyssey and the guy gave him the real cases (I think the Soul Calibur IV was my copy that I had previously picked out lol)

I had this happen yesterday on a game, but I actually benefited because the only game box they had on the shelf was pretty rough and I got a near mint box on a pretty old game in the behind the counter swap so I didn't complain. But I did just notice it yesterday myself. North Carolina in case it matters.

Never had this happen, personally, but I'd defintely be speaking up if it did. I understand the why- it looks better. And when the games look better, they sell faster. Think about it- you go to buy, say, an action figure. There's 3 one the shelf- one minty-fresh new, one with banged up dog-eared edges, and one that's been opened and taped back together. Which one do you buy? What if you needed one for a friend- would you just get it, or tell him 'sorry, the others were crap'? People do care about condition, they want the best they can get for their dollar.

That's why I'd be speaking up, too- if the employee knows why he wants the good case on the shelf, then he knows why I want to take it with me. If they tried to give me some reason why I have to take the bad one, then I won't buy. It's not like it's going to be a screaming deal if I buy it from GS anyway, so why bother?

I bought some games that were on sale Friday night. I took my time picking out the cases I wanted and also told the guy that I want those specific cases. He was very polite and said no problem. I wanted to inspect the disks, but the line behind me was too long and I didn't want to be "that guy" so I figured I would just check them out in the car. When I got in the car, I checked out the disks and they were scratched to hell, so I went back in, waited for the line to shrink, and had him hand me a shitload of copies for me to pick the ones I wanted.

I quit buying used games at Gamestop a long long time ago. I always inspected the cases which 95% of the time look like shit including the discs. I would put the employees thru hell by having them busting out every disc to see which ones didn't look like a cat clawed it.

Then I would say no thanks do you have a new sealed copy? And when the answer was no i'd just walk out. :applause:

This happened to me two B2G1 sales back, I had a copy of SNK vs. Capcom 2 for PS2 that was mint and they swapped it for one with grimy sticker residue all over the case. I had no idea this was something they were doing at the time, so I didn't bother checking my purchases until I got home. Just gives me another reason to not shop at Gamestop for majority of the year (I'll only ever go for B2G1).

They don't mean to do this on purpose, they have back logs of games in the back, they recently changed the system where they used to have the games stored in those yellow envelops but now they store the games case and all.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']This happened to me about a week ago... I picked out nice looking cases w/ manuals+ coverart for Soul Calibur IV and Skate, brought them up, and he switched them out for generic GameStop cases w/ no manuals/coverart. I was confused and just paid and left (I get extremely aggitated around people and hate dealing with shit like this so I always just walk away to get away from it, and I also hate calling people out on their bullshit, I just try to be as nice and polite as I can)....

anyways, I get out and my friend could tell I was pissed about it so she went back in with my receipt and the games, and they straight up lied to her and said they had no other cases (even though there were 3+ of each game in the bins, not to mention some on the walls)... she was able to get me my 25 percent bonus though, (which the guy also didnt give me even though I mentioned it to him several times. (i also had done a trade in of a bunch of games towards Battlefield BC2 and Splinter Cell Conviction.) )

I just found it funny that they told her they had no cases w/ coverart +manuals, when I specifically handed him the items I wanted to purchase, and he switched them with generic beat up black GameStop coverart cases, which also by the way, had the little circular stickers on the back of the cases (just noticed this now), which I think means these were from the online warehouse, the discs are in shitty shape too, my guess is someone bought these online and had to return them, and then they switched my games out for this crap lol.....

I guess I just always have bad luck shopping with GameStop.[/QUOTE]
Regardless of how long of a line may be forming behind me I'll stand there and nitpick until I get a complete game that doesn't look like someone used it as a teething ring for their kid.

I've had the typical GS customers(impatient soccer mom type)behind me mumbling under their breath and I've told them off before when they mumbled bout 'just pick one and get the hell out'.

Just because those idiots are willing to take whatever garbage the GS employees hand them doesn't mean everyone is so frivilous with their money and will willingly accept some beat up shit just to get in and out of there within half a nanosecond.

This is an apparent new system that has been happening in the last month or so, it's supposed to be called "GA on the Sales Floor". It's supposed to make the GA's spend more time on the floor and less time gutting the used games, etc. Let's say for each used section, there is suppose to be 1 copy of whatever game they have in stock.

In the drawer, they have 1 gut copy and 2 copies already filled with game, instructions or whatever it was traded in as. So when you bring that case up to the counter, depending on what they have in the drawer, you may get that case you brought up if it is their last copy and it is the 1 gut in the yellow sleeve or they'll put out a copy that has a case (generic or original) and the game inside (w/instructions or not), depending on how it was traded in.

When they sell out of all of the particular game, they have an extra white bookmark titled "Backstock" and the GA is supposed to look in the backroom for any more "backstock" and fill the drawer with 1 or 2 copies or gut another one. That's pretty much how the whole thing works now. That's how I was told it by one of the guys I know works there. It really seems like an actual pain for the associates because if they get alot of something traded in, they spend more time having to continually bring them back to the backroom instead of just going to the drawer and putting them in as they used to since they want 1 gut/2 copies system for all of the used. It's supposed to be company wide and store wide, so that's probably why alot of you are now seeing it happening on a more regular basis.

They've done it to me a couple of times and maybe it's because I wasn't paying attention, but they sneaked those cases in all the time. All I did was go back and exchange cases. A minor inconvenience, but oh well.

When I went in for the super sale I grabbed a generic case for motorstorm and reluctantly took it to the counter. To my surprise the clerk pulled out a complete copy from the drawer. I saw there were tons of cases for GHWT in there; so that seems like they are only keeping one case on the floor for each game.

LOL...I went into GS and picked up two Army of Two games during their sale...the guy actually picked out the two best cases and discs and gave to me without me even asking. Then he proceeded to throw away one of the Platinum Hits cases...no clue why lol.

Got a call today from the manager out there, he wants to talk to me. What do you think, is it worth seeing him about? I was kind of hoping I would remain anonymous, in all honesty. I'm morbidly curious as to whether or not he'd try to slide me something under the table, but I said all I needed to say to them and really don't feel compelled to see him at all.

If the manager is wanting to talk to you, then perhaps they want to make everything right and apologize for their employees behavior or at least explain why they swapped out the cases like they did.

I say go talk to him/her and see what they say.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If the manager is wanting to talk to you, then perhaps they want to make everything right and apologize for their employees behavior or at least explain why they swapped out the cases like they did.

I say go talk to him/her and see what they say.[/QUOTE]

I'd be fine with that. I never asked for any kind of compensation or anything and I don't want any favors (
probably wouldn't hate it
). If anything, I don't want him to think it's a bigger deal than what it is, and I'd feel better if he thought I was cool about it.

Went and saw the guy. He said "nice to meet you" until he realized we've met countless times before, not the least of which was when I asked him for a job. He basically thanked me for writing in and told me not to be afraid to speak up next time, which means it's not going to change any time soon; told him I never wanted to be "that guy," he said to do it anyway. He said games stay in the back purely for storage, still a bit hazy on why they try to keep the nice ones. I did cite one employee by name for reasons I've not mentioned here and he apologized for his actions. Because he apologized, I tried to downplay it a bit as conflicting personalities. He laughed. Interestingly enough, that employee was there in his street clothes, saw me, and went and sat in his car until I left. He asked if I needed anything else, probably should have brought some cases to switch out, but I'm an idiot. He listened to what I had to say, but the overall theme of the meeting was "it is what it is." I'm interested to see if he remembers next time I buy something from him.

Also, the girl in front of me was trying to trade an an Atari 2600 Pac-Man which made my day.

You know the number of times I've wanted to kick myself in the ass when someone brings a bunch of older games into Gamestop and I don't have enough $$$ to offer them some cash for those old games?

So far I've missed out on both Medievels, both Tombas, Intelligent Qube, Silent Hill and a number of other 'better' PS1 titles because I either had just made a deposit and I only had my debit card on me or I had like $5 on me and figured they'd be insulted if I offered that.

Hell. I missed out on a fat PSP because of not having another $5-10 on me. It was probably hotter than hell, since the guy went from wanting $50 in trade from a local shop to $10-15 in less than 5 minutes, but the point of the matter was I missed getting a fuckin' PSP.#-o#-o

My relative I was with at the time wouldn't lend me the $5-10, which stung even more, since I had more than enough money to pay them back.

bread's done
Back