GS/EB Canada: Play Haze and get a full refund if returned within one week promo

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
hazefreeus_news.jpg

http://darkzero.co.uk/v4/games/news/13651/ps3-haze-been-offered-for-free-in-the-uscanada

Don't know if this is news or a deal, but I was going to get it anyway, but this makes it easier to plan on getting now...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it's such a weird promo though.[/QUOTE]

Not too weird. You are basically paying 60.00 cash/credit/whatever of your own money. Get the Game. Play it and within 7 days take it back. Get 60.00 of in store credit. Basically anyway you look at it you have to spend that 60.00 at GS/EB. They secured you spending atleast 60.00 at there store.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Not too weird. You are basically paying 60.00 cash/credit/whatever of your own money. Get the Game. Play it and within 7 days take it back. Get 60.00 of in store credit. Basically anyway you look at it you have to spend that 60.00 at GS/EB. They secured you spending atleast 60.00 at there store.[/QUOTE]

if it hits before MGS4, I'm just going to get haze and then put all that credit onto MGS4.

[quote name='pimpinc333']They secured you spending atleast 60.00 at there store.[/quote]

Versus the $120 they'd get when buying Haze and something like GTA4. It's a very odd promo

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']if it hits before MGS4, I'm just going to get haze and then put all that credit onto MGS4.[/QUOTE]

That's probably what I'll do.

I bet EVERYONE here that all of these games traded back within a week are still considered "new" and are re-shrink wrapped and sold as new

GS wont lose a cent, and they lost their morals and conscious years ago....

death to gamestop!

Well this is a no-brainer if it drops before MGS4. Especially since I wouldn't pay tax purchasing it with the credit.

This is a REOCCURRING deal EB GAMES CANADA puts on.

There are NO GAMESTOP stores in CANADA.

They've done it before with the Godfather, God of war 2, Halo3.....HAZE is just the most recent game....

This IS NOT VALID AT GAMESTOP IN THE US.

EB GAMES CANADA ROCKS.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I bet EVERYONE here that all of these games traded back within a week are still considered "new" and are re-shrink wrapped and sold as new

GS wont lose a cent, and they lost their morals and conscious years ago....

death to gamestop![/QUOTE]

That's a possibility. Or if the game sucks, they just might end up with a lot of inventory which would be hilarious.

[quote name='gamer602']This is a REOCCURRING deal EB GAMES CANADA puts on.

They've done it before with the Godfather, God of war 2, Halo3.....HAZE is just the most recent game....

EB GAMES CANADA ROCKS.[/QUOTE]

Did you even read the link in the OP?

It says:
Gamestops in the US and Canada have been sending out flyers to inform those interested in Haze that they can basically get the game free upon release.

EB GAMES CANADA ROCKS.[/quote]

the US is mentioned in the article though

[quote name='Scorch']Versus the $120 they'd get when buying Haze and something like GTA4. It's a very odd promo[/QUOTE]

Its not that odd. If you think about it, they get the game back AND they get to sell it as used.

They'll have a bunch of used copies of a "new" (potentially) hit game, and they can sell just below the new price and make lots of profit.

The publisher will be happy because the promo will push sales of their game in the first week, but it will suck for them in the long run.

GS will be happy because they get to keep all of the profit on their used game sales without splitting with the publisher.

[quote name='cleaver']Remember when Babbages and EB let you do this with every game?[/quote]

hell yea, i would ALWAYS take the 14 days and then return games lol.

buy a new game, beat it, and get one with great replay value forever afterwards

ahh...the good old days, when gaming stores' policies were about gaming

[quote name='barom']the US is mentioned in the article though[/QUOTE] yes , but if you read the flyer it will tell you guys that it is only valid in Canada.

EB GAMES CANADA ROCKS.[/quote]

The article linked in the OP specifically states it is valid in the US. It actually states that flyers have been sent to notify folks of the upcoming promo, so... maybe there was a different flyer for each country?

I'd love to see this succeed. It's a great chance to check out games with little worry that you won't like it - just trade it back and get something else.

Granted, they're only going to do this with high profile titles.

EDIT: After looking around a bit, I believe it is correct this is Canada only. The flyer states this offer is available for preordering at EB Games Canada. Additionally, ebgames.ca has the offer on the website. ebgames.com does not.

As a side note, someone on another forum suggesting buying the game, returning it, buying your now used copy back at the used price, and getting $5 for it.

[quote name='gamer602']yes , but if you read the flyer it will tell you guys that it is only valid in Canada.[/QUOTE]

then post a better link to the flyer. once done then we'll accept.

ahh...the good old days, when gaming stores' policies were about gaming
To play devil's advocate, the good old days were always when gaming stores weren't very profitable businesses. This, coupled with the rise of so many big boxes carrying games, is why so many franchises and independent dealers shut down or were eaten up by other franchises. Unfortunately, it's hard to have it both ways. Cater too much to the wands and needs (especially the wants) of the gamer, and your bottom line suffers.

Yes, You already paid $65 in cash and get back $65 in store credit. Didn't matter how is go .. soon or later GS/EB get your $65 in credit. I rather keep my $65 in my bank account ;)

I LOL'd. Should have done this for:

- Mass Effect
- Assassin's Creed

Hell, Kane & Lynch was more fun & worth the $38 new I spent than both of these flops combined.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Yes, You already paid $65 in cash and get back $65 in store credit. Didn't matter how is go .. soon or later GS/EB get your $65 in credit. I rather keep my $65 in my bank account ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes but if you have $65 credit, buy it and return it. It is FREE 100%

[quote name='h3llbring3r']So is this valid in the US? I was going to rent it anyways (not worth buying).[/QUOTE]
Www.ebgames.ca/fsi.asp www.ebgames.ca/fsi.asp

The question is going to be asked again, so here is the fine print from the bottom of the flyer:

Pre-purchase Haze at any EB Games Canada location and receive full in-store credit back when you trade Haze in within one week of the product's pickup date. Haze must be picked up within one week of release date. In-store credit is a trade in credit valued at the pre-tax purchase price at the time of pick-up of Haze. The receipt from the pick-up transaction must accompany the game when traded in to receive the full in-store credit. The game will trade in at its' regular trade value if traded in after 7 days from the date of pick up. Game must be returned in good condition with instruction manual and case. Refurb charges may apply. Offer may be discontinued at any time. Ask sales associate for full details.

Sorry to say, this is not valid in the US.

[quote name='Jgel']Yes but if you have $65 credit, buy it and return it. It is FREE 100%[/quote]

Its not free. You just made a deposit. You don't keep your money. So either way. EB/GS has your cash. How is that free? If you return it you will use that credit towards another game. Therefore its kinda like 2 for 1.

[quote name='yesokyesok']Its not free. You just made a deposit. You don't keep your money. So either way. EB/GS has your cash. How is that free? If you return it you will use that credit towards another game. Therefore its kinda like 2 for 1.[/quote]

Let's say you already have $65 in credit at EB/GS. You use that credit to reserve Haze. Within one week you take Haze back and take advantage of the promotion, thereby gaining the $65 in return. What started as credit returned as credit, so basically free.

The deal does not include a return on tax, however, so you may be out a bit there.

What is people's issue with this deal? If this was any good in US (it appears it isn't), I would take advantage of It. I have been thinking about getting Haze, but it looks like more of a rental. I could buy it, though, and play for it for few days. If it is good, I'll keep it. If it stinks, I'll get most of my money back in credit, which will obviously be used for another game. What is the big issue here? The deal itself? Or that it is a GS/EB deal?

If you REALLY want this game, wait a week. They will probably get a large amount of retuns, so theoretically, used should be cheap...

I can't believe some of you are bitching about this deal. It's a free play on a brand new game. USUALLY if you buy a new game from GS you are just giving GS your money and never seeing it again, not even in a store credit value.

I think some of you are just finding reasons to hate GS. No one's saying you have to take advantage of this deal. Personally, I think it is a great deal and will be taking advantage of it if it is true.

[quote name='moojuice']If you REALLY want this game, wait a week. They will probably get a large amount of retuns, so theoretically, used should be cheap...[/quote]

Doubt it. The quantity won't deter GS/EB from charging $55 for a used copy. At best, they might drop it to $50. Even then, once when you spend the $50 ($45 with the Edge), you're stuck with the game.

I thought this was the deal with all games??? I know I have had the GS/EB guys tell me I can return it within a week if I don't like it or 30 days if it doesn't work. Am I mistaken?

[quote name='aea414']I thought this was the deal with all games??? I know I have had the GS/EB guys tell me I can return it within a week if I don't like it or 30 days if it doesn't work. Am I mistaken?[/QUOTE]

yep, you can do that when ever you want (and they also give a cash refund as well)

[quote name='CaoPi']Not me but, worthed if gas is so high, and you live in the middle of nowhere? Don't really think so[/quote]

Congratulations, you just single-handedly pooh-poohed almost every B&M deal on this site.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']hell yea, i would ALWAYS take the 14 days and then return games lol.

buy a new game, beat it, and get one with great replay value forever afterwards

ahh...the good old days, when gaming stores' policies were about gaming[/quote]

Yes... how surprising that those stores and those policies are no longer around. It is almost as if what you did contributed to their demise.

bread's done
Back