gs/eb getting rid of n64 and ps1 on 4/12

bluekeith75

CAGiversary!
I was talking to the manager at gamestop in parma yesterday and he said as of wednesday the 12th gamestop and eb will no longer be carrying n64 or ps1 games. I asked if there would be a sale and he said no that they were told to box them up and send them to the wharhouse. I stopped in at the eb on the way home and they confirmed it.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. I wanted to let everyone know in case your eb/gs has any games that you have had your eye on.

My stores told me they will no longer accept the, past around that date but they will still carry them for one year after that, and then what is left will be mailed out to the top 10 best sellers of those systems.

My GS has a bunch of N64 games. I wish they would have a sale so I could pick up all the mario parties.

and this needs to be in deal discussions, or maybe general gaming.

I wonder what's going to happen to them? Maybe GS is working on a new brand that will specialize in only selling older used games.

You'd think that if old games were profitable they would keep carrying them. I'm guessing they want to clear shelf space for stuff that makes a bigger profit per square foot. I suppose to them It seems reasonable to carry the 2 most recent generations of video games otherwise they'd have piles of E.T. for the Atari 2600 lying around.

Who told you this? I highly doubt that is true. Look at how long they have carried N64 games. They might stop carrying those but i really doubt they are going to stop carrying PS1 games already. They are still a pretty popular item AND work on a current system. You really think they are going to stop accepting them in only 3 days and there has been no annoucement about it? I highly doubt it. Could be wrong though.

The smaller stores have sent the PS1 and N64 games out to larger stores in my area, so maybe that is what is happening to that manager's store.

Ask any of the gamestops or EB stores near you, they will be stop taking them within the next two months in trade and they will stop selling them one year from that point. The stores told me that they do not make a profit on PS1 games at all any more. Other than the few desirable games, they just sit there and never sell. Same thing with N64. Makes sense, every gamestop or EB I go to always has the same crappy games, the good ones are sold quickly and the rest just sit there.

[quote name='raregamergirl']Ask any of the gamestops or EB stores near you, they will be stop taking them within the next two months in trade and they will stop selling them one year from that point. The stores told me that they do not make a profit on PS1 games at all any more. Other than the few desirable games, they just sit there and never sell. Same thing with N64. Makes sense, every gamestop or EB I go to always has the same crappy games, the good ones are sold quickly and the rest just sit there.[/QUOTE]

Agreed... other then the rare stuff that floats in, stores have stacks upon stacks of shitty scratched up disc only games.

With DS / PSP pickup up major steam, and the Rev / PS3 coming out soon, it makes sense they'd dump N64 / PS1... I wonder when they are going to dump Gameboy / Gameboy Color as well?

In other news, I can just see alot of the rarer ps one games going up in price now on ebay, since there really wouldn't be any other alternative to finding them.

I believe the N64 stuff. I'll believe it when i see it on PS1 games. I heard this same thing from managers months and months ago. You mean to tell me that if someone brings in PS1 rpg's or non sport related titles to trade in (which still happens fairly often) Gamestop is going to turn them down. No way. They still sell most PS1 games for $5.00 and above while giving nothing for them. Ill believe it when i actually see them post they aren't taking PS1 games anymore.

I was upset about them getting rid of SNES/NES games, but most prices in the N64 and PS1 sections of GS have always been too high anyway. I don't think I have ever bought an N64 game at GS, I always found what I was looking for cheaper on the old EBgames.com. However, the fact that they usually had a decent selection of PS1 games was the last excuse I had to stop at GS. If this report is true I can't think of a reason to shop there anymore.

The problem is they want outrageous prices for their N64 games. $10-$15 for lots of only halfway decent cart games? If they would make the average cart $2-3, like they do with ps1 discs, they would sell. Or at least I would buy a bunch.

I used to work at an EB. (before GS bought them)
When something stops selling well, like NES or Genesis, or Neo Geo Pocket, they don't want to dedicate shelf space to it, when they can be moving used PS2 or Xbox or Gamecube. Those games get sold, traded back in, and every time the store makes a little more profit. Old system games sell for less, so they generate less profit, and they usually don' t come back on trade to be sold again.

Eventually they stop taking the trades, or offer very low credit to discourage it. Often these games are flagged so that once they go in your store inventory, they're added to a report of items you have to send back into the warehouse with any other trades you have too much stock on. (They weed your inventory down...so if you suddenly have 30 copies of last year's Madden, they have you send half back to corperate)

These games either get shipped to a store that sells a lot of that system / genre / title, or they get put on the webstore as one of the classics deals. They used to do bundles like "pick 15 classics for $35" on Dreamcast, NES, Saturn, N64. If you look at the site now, you'll notice the only classics they seem to show now are Playstation 1.

I'd say the website is lending credibility to this rumor.

I also heard from my old manager as part of the merge between GS & EB, they're dropping all used PC titles, as GS didn't take PC trades. If you look, most stores have dumped the used PC stock in with the PS1 and N64 titles on the discount rack.

[quote name='arbiter']
I also heard from my old manager as part of the merge between GS & EB, they're dropping all used PC titles, as GS didn't take PC trades. [/QUOTE]

This happened a long time ago, if by dropping you mean stopped accepting them.

well, its a stretch for good news, but at least no one will be around to bulk buy retro GQD reprints after a year following the next two months.

I've worked for GS for the past 2+ years and through the loss of the NES/SNES/Genesis, there were signs posted in the store that we would stop accepting trades on them one month prior to it. They won't stop this overnight. There will be a warning. There hasn't been a nationwide email sent out telling us this information either. In fact, my store has seen a significant increase in the n64 games getting sent to us from corporate. I am going to say that the OP heard the from a manager talking out of their ass. Seems to happen on a regular basis from what I have gathered being a member here for quite a while.

Yeah. Im willing to bet that wherever this person heard this, it was a store that was shipping games out to another store. There are a lot of mall stores and smaller ones in my area that shipped there N64 and PS1 to other g-stops and eb games that were bigger. But tons in the area still have PS1 games and will continue to have them for the forseeable future.

[quote name='Roufuss']Agreed... other then the rare stuff that floats in, stores have stacks upon stacks of shitty scratched up disc only games.

With DS / PSP pickup up major steam, and the Rev / PS3 coming out soon, it makes sense they'd dump N64 / PS1... I wonder when they are going to dump Gameboy / Gameboy Color as well?

In other news, I can just see alot of the rarer ps one games going up in price now on ebay, since there really wouldn't be any other alternative to finding them.[/QUOTE]

I think it'll take a lot longer to dump the GB and GBC stuff since it doesn't take up nearly the same amount of space that the PS1 and N64 stuff does.

My Gamestop already doesnt have PS1 games anymore. I checked on the store locator for a certain PS1 game that was apparently in stock at my local Gamestop. I go over there to get it and they tell me they dont have PS1 games anymore...weird.

No!!! Now I'll never get those N64 and PsOne games, since I can't buy on-line. :( Why couldn't they do like a 30% discount on them like they did for me on the Dreamcast games?

People are way overreacting to a lone poster regurgitating what he heard from a dumb manager. I'd be willing to bet cold hard cash this isn't happening nationwide. Yes, some stores are moving their PS1 and N64 stock to larger stores, this has been happening slowly for months.

One store near me just got rid of the N64 and the PsOne games, does this mean the rest of them in a 10 or 20 mile radius of me will do the same?

One store near me just got rid of the N64 and the PsOne games, does this mean the rest of them in a 10 or 20 mile radius of me will do the same?
Yes. No. Maybe. Only Gamestop Corporate seems to know where they are consolidating these platforms right now.

Its weird if they are getting rid of those platforms at those stores and I wonder when they will do so at mine. We have one of the smallest stores in the district, and don't even have the room to display all of our n64 games. It's really starting to suck. And there also wasn't a update through email about this. There is no marketing in the new kit either about this ending.

Several major gamestop in NYC still receive very large shipments of ps1 and n64 from there wherehouse.They sell very well here.It seem these shipments are only to gamestop only.All the ebgames are slowly dimishing n64 and ps1 games

Yes, we are stopping taking them in trade, now I don't know what is going to happen with what we have in stock, but I can CONFIRM that N64 and PS1 will NOT be taken in trade any more.

Now, with almost 0 alternative to finding alot of the rarer ps1 games, expect them to shoot up even further in price.

No more chance of finding that Suikoden 2 at an EB / GS... time to either pay Ebay for it or go without it.

It dosen't stop me that EB / GS are going to stop selling them... I don't remember the last time a rare game wasn't a bitch and a half to get at one of these stores anyways.

Yep, I talked to several different managers yesterday and June 1st is confirmed to be the day they stop taking PS1 and N64 for trades.

What a crock of shit. Yet another reason to visit these stores goes out the window. It's all going downhill for this chain.

[quote name='secretvampire']Yep, I talked to several different managers yesterday and June 1st is confirmed to be the day they stop taking PS1 and N64 for trades.

What a crock of shit. Yet another reason to visit these stores goes out the window. It's all going downhill for this chain.[/QUOTE]

Did you honestly visit EB / GS for their PS1 / N64 games though? At every single EB / GS here, all 12 or 13 of them, their PS1 selection consists of stacks of empty cd cases... some have writing of what the game is, some don't, they are just blank. The ones that ARE complete are either really old, shitty games or Persona 2 / Rhapsody.

Every rare game that goes into the store is either a) grabbed by an employee or b) sold that very same day by someone using the inventory locator. I've never just walked into an EB / GS, and been like "Oh, wow, Suikoden 2 complete on the shelf, lucky find!" in years (it did happen though, about 3 years ago).

When I go to EB / GS I just ignore the ps1 section, its a huge waste of time, unless you really want Rhapsody / Persona 2. And the n64 section is very overpriced for messed up cart only games.

It just seems like people are going to use this as another reason to hate on EB / GS, when most people don't even care about their ps1 games to begin with.

I was much more distraught about NES and SNES, since they always had great prices and good selection before cutting back. I've bought a whole 1 N64 game from EB/GS, and that was Ogre Battle 64 during the morning update.

I just dont understand why people are getting pissed at EB/GS for stopping taking them in. It is happenning, without any doubt, as of June 1st, I called several gamestop stores to make sure. People that do not want to believe it, that is their choice. I was told they will still sell them for 1 year afterwards until they are gone. After that one year is up, only the top 10 selling N64 and PS1 stores in the nation will carry them. It makes a ton of sense from a business standpoint for them to stop taking them in. Think of the percent of the PS1 or N64 games they get in that they sell quickly. What is it, maybe 2-6 percent? Even if they are giving 1/5th or so of what they are selling it for, that still does not work out in their favor. Yes, this decision sucks for cheapassgamers and anyone who still does buy the old school games but it is also an intelligent decision on their behalf. I agree with the poster who says PS1 and N64 games will go up in value, especially complete N64 games. Look at the prices of complete SNES games right now, its crazy. Get those complete N64 games while you can. Farewell PS1 games, you will be missed.

the N64 games I can understand, but PS1 games, which in most of my EB's and GS's take up very little room, should be continued given PS3's backwards compatibility

Not that it matters to me, I keep dedicated systems for each lineup of games... wouldnt want to put extra wear and tear on my PS3 when I get it by playing PS1 games

[quote name='secretvampire']Yep, I talked to several different managers yesterday and June 1st is confirmed to be the day they stop taking PS1 and N64 for trades.[/QUOTE]

Yep,it confirm an employee told me they will stop receiving anymore ps1 games from wherehouse or tradins.They just going to sale out until its all gone

[quote name='Roufuss']Did you honestly visit EB / GS for their PS1 / N64 games though? At every single EB / GS here, all 12 or 13 of them, their PS1 selection consists of stacks of empty cd cases... some have writing of what the game is, some don't, they are just blank. The ones that ARE complete are either really old, shitty games or Persona 2 / Rhapsody.

Every rare game that goes into the store is either a) grabbed by an employee or b) sold that very same day by someone using the inventory locator. I've never just walked into an EB / GS, and been like "Oh, wow, Suikoden 2 complete on the shelf, lucky find!" in years (it did happen though, about 3 years ago).

When I go to EB / GS I just ignore the ps1 section, its a huge waste of time, unless you really want Rhapsody / Persona 2. And the n64 section is very overpriced for messed up cart only games.

It just seems like people are going to use this as another reason to hate on EB / GS, when most people don't even care about their ps1 games to begin with.[/QUOTE]

I guess NYC is the only place that really carry some good ps1 games.Sometime they have ps1 games in the backroom due to lack of space.The manager relized I was buying so much ps1 he brought out a huge box.One of the newly open gamestop keep receiving more ps1 games every week.It pays to know several employee tat will employee stash for u.

I picked up during the buy 2 get 1 free.
x3 parasite eve non gh
x1 parasite eve 2
x1 alundra
x2 final fantasy 7
x1 wild arms 1
x2 wild arms 2
x1 alpha 3
x1 capcom vs snk
x1 lunar silver story
x1 silent hill non gh
x3 metal gear non gh
x1 striker 1945
x1 legend of mana
x1 koudelke

[quote name='Roufuss']Did you honestly visit EB / GS for their PS1 / N64 games though?[/QUOTE]

What kind of question is that? I just got a PS1 game at Gamestop yesterday. I used to get NES/SNES/Genesis games regularly. Of course I go to EB/GS/Funcoland for their older games!

[quote name='Chuplayer']What kind of question is that? I just got a PS1 game at Gamestop yesterday. I used to get NES/SNES/Genesis games regularly. Of course I go to EB/GS/Funcoland for their older games![/QUOTE]

I will glance through the oldies when I visit, you never know when you will find that gem in the rough, i found about 7 or 8 boxed complete NES and SNES games there last year

[quote name='zman73']I will glance through the oldies when I visit, you never know when you will find that gem in the rough, i found about 7 or 8 boxed complete NES and SNES games there last year[/QUOTE]

Apparently then Tampa Bay just has a garbage stock on used games.

I only know of 1 or 2 stores that still has nes / snes games, they are all garbage, and the ps one section of all these stores is shit and overpriced, except for the rarities, which never seem to be there.

Unless its a disk only refurb.

Maybe they'll use the space now for something better, rather then a stack of blank cd cases for whatever garbage sports game they have.

Maybe like, 2 years ago this would have hit me hard, since I found a ton of the rarest games for ps1 at the local EB / GS's... but since then, the ps 1 section has turned into crap.

Well it looks this is going to be my ultimate challenge with only about a year left to find all those PsOne and N64 games I want since online is out of the question and rising gas prices. :)

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Well it looks this is going to be my ultimate challenge with only about a year left to find all those PsOne and N64 games I want since online is out of the question and rising gas prices. :)[/QUOTE]

You actually have until June 1st... once they stop taking in trades, stores are just going to have what they have now, and they'll be trying to liquidate that in the next year.

I guess it's time to finally go to Ebay for Tales of Destiny.

Did you honestly visit EB / GS for their PS1 / N64 games though? At every single EB / GS here, all 12 or 13 of them, their PS1 selection consists of stacks of empty cd cases... some have writing of what the game is, some don't, they are just blank. The ones that ARE complete are either really old, shitty games or Persona 2 / Rhapsody.

Yes, I certainly do. Look at my PS1 collection, I got about 95% of it from EB or GS over the last couple of years. I certainly haven't had any of the problems you've described while hunting in Houston (where I'm from) or Austin/Dallas/San Antonio.

In the past I've found these complete for PS1 (I kept the best condition one, the extras were traded or sold to finance other game purchases):
DDR Disney Mix x 3
Valkyrie Profile x 3
Suikoden x 4
Suikoden II
Tactics Ogre
Intelligent Qube x 2
Ogre Battle x 3
Persona x 3
Brigandine x 2
Castlevania Chronicles x 4
Lunar Silver Star box set x 2
Lunar 2 box set x 4
Arc the Lad Collection box set x 3
Arc the Lad Collection NEW box set x 3
TONS of complete Capcom fighters
Dragon Warrior VII x a BUNCH

That's just off the top of my head and the rarer stuff. I was able to get pretty much every PS1 game I wanted plus trade for a HELL of a lot of other stuff for other platforms. So yeah, I'm sad to see it go...it's always nice to discover a lost gem that you wanted to try out, or a rare title that you can use to trade for another platform.

2 EB/Gamestop stores nearby stopped selling N64/PS1 games. one of the stores stopped a long time ago, which was surprising because they had an entire glass case filled with N64 games. had to be at least 6-7 shelves worth. the other I think stopped recently because I didn't see them anywhere in the store, nothing behind the registers either.

From a collector/cheapass standpoint there is a sweet spot in the timeline of a console where the games meet the right availability/price point ratio. This point is where the game can be readily found in the desired condition for the cheapest price. For most systems this appears to be 2-5 years after the newest generation has been released. For example the PS2 came out in 2000 so the best time to load up on cheap PS1 games would be about 2002-2005. They are now reaching the point where the availability has dried up. Some prices may increase as a result. Personally I say the best thing to do is pick up a few classics you really want to play now (on PS2, Gamecube, Xbox) and load up on everything else you may want for your collection in a couple of years from now. If you missed out on the PS1 and N64 you may already be too late to get the lowest prices and be guaranteed to find what you are looking for.

DOES ANYBODY ACTUALLY READ THE POSTS!! They aren't stopping taking these in! Whoever posted this first didn't have any clue what they were talking about.

IF YOUR LOCAL STORE DOESN"T HAVE PS1 or N64 games, it is because the store is to small. THEY HAVE BEEN SHIPPED TO ANOTHER LARGER STORE IN THE AREA!!!! It's not that G-Stop is getting rid of PS1 games. READ THE POSTS!!!

bread's done
Back