GS/EB Promos 3/26-4/15 -> Trade 2 360 games, $10 extra; trade 2 Wii/PS3 games, get 1

allout1986

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Before you say anything about these being posted again, I wanted to have a thread that has all of the promotions in one place instead of them scattered throughout the forum. I posted prior deals last year for Gamestop/EB and just opened the new marketing kit today for this. All of the following deals start 3/26 and will end on 4/15. There is a possibility that I missed something from the marketing kit. If so, please PM me and post the deal in the thread for others. I will update the OP according to the details of the deal that you give me.

[EDGE/Gamestop Card owners] - You will get the bonus 10% on all trades of games/accessories/DVDs. It will NOT work with systems. It will stack with all trade in promos unless otherwise noted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trade Deals

Trade 2 Xbox 360 games, get an extra $10 in credit. Exclusions are the burger king games.

Trade in a PS2 (any model w/Sony controller and hookups... must be in working order), an extra Sony controller, and any PS2 memory card to get $100 in credit when applied towards a PS3.

Trade 2 PS3 games and get a free PS3 game priced at $59.99 or less.

Trade 2 Wii games and get a free Wii game priced at $49.99 or less. Wii Sports is not accepted in trade. Far Cry: Instints, Open Season, and Wii Play do not qualify for this promo.

POWER TRADE: Any trades of games towards either new Pokemon game (Diamond/Pearl) or Halo 3, get 20% extra in credit on the trade. *Reservation customers will receive a free stylus when picking up this game. If you have both reserved, you will get a Pokemon themed holder for the 2 different styli (styluses).

All trades towards reservations get 10% extra in credit. This does not stack on top of the Power Trade offer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Deals

1 GB Sandisk PSP memory card for $29.99 - Down from $44.99

2 GB Sandisk PSP memory card for $49.99 - Down from $79.99

Buy Arena Football: Road to Glory (NEW) for the PS2 and get a free* RAZOR phone. *phone is free with 2 yr. activation of plan through Verizon.

Buy 2 get 1 free on used DVDs will continue for stores that carry them.

Stores that are not carrying DVDs anymore (or taking trades) will be offering a Buy 2 get 2 free on them.

Buy Destroy All Humans 2, Spongebob: Creature from the Krusty Krab, Bratz Diamondz, Cars, Nicktoons: Volcano Island, or Avatar and receive $5 off of the purchase price.

75% off all PSX/N64 games if your local store carries them.

Buy Making History: The Calm and the Storm and get Space Empires V or Brigade E5 for $9.99

My local store has six copies of Persona 2, almost brand new, for $30. With this discount, they're $7.

WOOHOO! :D

Also, does anyone knwo if they'll limit the amount of items you can purchase? I mean, I want to buy those six copies and trade or sell a few of those P2... ;)

I traded in a couple Xbox 360 games - Ridge Racer 6 ($7) and Major League Baseball 2K6 ($4) and received the $10 bonus. Quite a deal. :cool:

Sadly...no PS1 games at the Game Stop I visited (Ridgedale Sq. in Minnetonka, MN). I just got an Edge card with the balance. I'll probably pre-order Super Paper Mario with it or something. Was gonna pre-order MLB 07: The Show for PS3 but I guess you can't "stack" the 10% add'l for pre-orders when you trade with the $10 bonus.

Also...FYI...MLB 07: The Show for PS3 is now delayed until mid-May! I thought it was still a late April release. Yargh.

Updated the Wiki to this point - keep those values coming in.

I left off some of the ones people weren't sure about as I only want to put 100% accurate values in.

PGR 3: 8
Saints Row: 17
Test drive unlimited: 11 (I inquired but didn't trade it in since price dropped too low for trade-in. It was 15 or 17 up until a few days ago.

Ended up trading in 2 PS2 games as well and w/ the $10 extra for the 2 xbox360 games and 10% extra if credit is applied toward a pre-order, I ended up with $41 in credit toward preorder of Forza 2.

I sort of feel bad trading in games knowing the dev companies are losing profit and GS/EB are making even more.

Maybe games being downloadable in the future won't be such a bad thing.

[quote name='Ketsui']i just called EB and it says u have to trade 3 360 games for extra 10 dollar credit.fucken bullshit[/quote]
if you go in and just trade 2 the registers automatically do it for 2.. so you can just prove him wrong there.

Also if all games were downloadable i fear we would never see discounted games or sales ever again..

[quote name='rmb']yes you can use the credit for something else, however I recommend going to another location if planning on doing this relatively shortly after trade.
I actually traded games in and put credit towards crackdown, when I picked it up and paid rest in cash, I then decided didn't want and when I took it back to another gamestop I recieved all cash back![/quote]

i also did this for tmnt wii

They must be lowering trade values to compensate for these "deals" because the values people have been posting are an absolute joke.

Godfather $12? Isn't it still a $60 game? Saints Row, $17, Oblivion, $23? That's such a joke..

Why don't people see that if gamestop can sell a game for X amount, they can too, or for just slightly less. Why bend over for their trade prices? Ugh.

[quote name='jer7583']They must be lowering trade values to compensate for these "deals" because the values people have been posting are an absolute joke.

Godfather $12? Isn't it still a $60 game? Saints Row, $17, Oblivion, $23? That's such a joke..
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately (though I wouldn't rule it out), they probably haven't messed with the values. In fact, when I went through and updated the wiki, some of the values were HIGHER than they were before. From what I understand they have a base price dependent on what they sell it for, and then it varies from there based on their company-wide inventory. Thus, such games as Lego Star Wars (last year before the new one came out) which sell really well might trade for $10 when sold for $17.99, but other stuff at the same used price point may only get $3 or $4 in trade.

Having said that, EB/GS has, across the board, the worst trade-in values of any of the used game places (Gamecrazy and Gamerush are generally much better).

I haven't traded a single game into EB/GS since the trade 3 get an extra $10 deal ended last Fall (which worked on PS2/Xbox/GC/DS/PSP games). I've still got a few $100 in precious credit left that I am saving for such games as Super Paper Mario and other big Wii (and possibly 360) releases. But I doubt I'll be building up any more credit unless I find some incredibly cheap trade-in fodder somewhere (and even then, it is more likely ot go to Gamecrazy).

[quote name='schuerm26']In the latest add, it says the PSP value bundle is now $199. Is this the exact same thing that is normally $249? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]
Yes and no. It was $249, but Sony discontinued the Value Pack so GS is probably just clearing it out. Whether this presages a universal price drop is anyone's guess.

[quote name='jer7583']They must be lowering trade values to compensate for these "deals" because the values people have been posting are an absolute joke.

Why don't people see that if gamestop can sell a game for X amount, they can too, or for just slightly less. Why bend over for their trade prices? Ugh.[/quote]

As an individual, you can't sell a used game for "slightly less" than gamestop sells it for - you end up selling it for a lot less. Check completed listings for eBay games, or even deals on the trading forum here. I'm trying to sell CoD3 and Lost Planet for $35 each but no one is interested. That's significantly less than the $50-$55 used price that Gamestop sells them for. It takes a lot more work sometimes to sell games for yourself rather than just trade them in at your nearest Gamestop.

I agree that the normal trade in prices at Gamestop are not good (I never trade in games when there isn't a trade-in promotion going), but when they run a promotion like +$5 for every 360 game trade in, that brings the prices of the trade-ins to quite a respectable amount and it is sometimes easier to just trade them into the store with no hassle instead of trying to sell it off online for maybe a couple of dollars more. Gamestop will now give me $30 something each for CoD3 and Lost Planet, so I'll take that deal rather than having to put in a lot of effort to sell them online for $35 each. Not only do they take the game in pretty much any condition (since the clerks RARELY ever check the quality of the disc, let alone open the box), but you can just unload everything at once and be done with it instead of worrying about going to the post office to sell a game here and a game there over a span of several weeks.

And to prove my point, I'll go over your examples:

1. Godfather is $40 retail now. $12 is not a great deal for trade in by itself, but with the current promotion, plus stacking your Edge card and putting it towards a pre-order, that's another +$5 + 10% + 10%.

That means: $12 + $1.20 + $1.20 + $5 = $19.20. If you don't have an Edge card or don't want to put it towards a pre-order, that's $17.

Compare this with completed listings on eBay in the last 7 days, which average about $20 for the game sold and subtract whatever price you have to pay for seller fees and it's pretty much a wash.

2. Saint's Row is $50 retail now with a $17 trade in credit.
Apply the current promotions of +$5 + 10% + 10% and you get: $17 + $1.40 + $1.40 + $5 = $25.80. If you don't have an Edge card or don't want to put it towards a pre-order, that's $23.

i was only able to find one Saint's Row sold on eBay in the last week, and it sold for $31. So, your choice would be $23-$25.80 versus $31 - eBay fees. (Not to mention, good luck selling it on CAG now that everyone bought it on new at Amazon for $29.99 during the DotD sale).

3. Oblivion is still $60 retail. Trade in credit is $23. Stacking the current promotions gives you: $23 + $2.30 + $2.30 + $5 = $32.60 (or just $28 flat).

Recent Oblivion sales on eBay average $40, so you have $28-$32.60 versus $40 - eBay fees. The gap here is actual significant enough that yes, you may want to sell this for yourself for $40.

But my point is to not be ignorant to the fact that during these special trade-in promotions at Gamestop, the trade-in deals are not bad - especially if they're taking any year's sport titles. Try to sell your copy of Madden 2006 for more than what than what Gamestop will give you for it now with the +$5 bonus.

Why don't people see that if gamestop can sell a game for X amount, they can too, or for just slightly less. Why bend over for their trade prices? Ugh.[/quote]

i'm not pissed... i got some of these games for $10-$15 on average, so after the extra $10, i more than get my money back. i mean, i bought gun on sale for $10 at one point, then w/ the value being 7.70 after edge, trading it in w/ other fodder ain't bad. i mean, if you managed to get oblivion from the bb sale, you make a profit by trading it in.

thing that counters your argument is this: saint's row was on sale for $25 recently. godfather can be found for less than $30. now i admit that's used, but you're generally getting half in trade in for what it could be bought used

just my opinion, tho'

[quote name='espionage']As an individual, you can't sell a used game for "slightly less" than gamestop sells it for - you end up selling it for a lot less. Check completed listings for eBay games, or even deals on the trading forum here. I'm trying to sell CoD3 and Lost Planet for $35 each but no one is interested. That's significantly less than the $50-$55 used price that Gamestop sells them for. It takes a lot more work sometimes to sell games for yourself rather than just trade them in at your nearest Gamestop.

I agree that the normal trade in prices at Gamestop are not good (I never trade in games when there isn't a trade-in promotion going), but when they run a promotion like +$5 for every 360 game trade in, that brings the prices of the trade-ins to quite a respectable amount and it is sometimes easier to just trade them into the store with no hassle instead of trying to sell it off online for maybe a couple of dollars more. Gamestop will now give me $30 something each for CoD3 and Lost Planet, so I'll take that deal rather than having to put in a lot of effort to sell them online for $35 each. Not only do they take the game in pretty much any condition (since the clerks RARELY ever check the quality of the disc, let alone open the box), but you can just unload everything at once and be done with it instead of worrying about going to the post office to sell a game here and a game there over a span of several weeks.

And to prove my point, I'll go over your examples:

1. Godfather is $40 retail now. $12 is not a great deal for trade in by itself, but with the current promotion, plus stacking your Edge card and putting it towards a pre-order, that's another +$5 + 10% + 10%.

That means: $12 + $1.20 + $1.20 + $5 = $19.20. If you don't have an Edge card or don't want to put it towards a pre-order, that's $17.

Compare this with completed listings on eBay in the last 7 days, which average about $20 for the game sold and subtract whatever price you have to pay for seller fees and it's pretty much a wash.

2. Saint's Row is $50 retail now with a $17 trade in credit.
Apply the current promotions of +$5 + 10% + 10% and you get: $17 + $1.40 + $1.40 + $5 = $25.80. If you don't have an Edge card or don't want to put it towards a pre-order, that's $23.

i was only able to find one Saint's Row sold on eBay in the last week, and it sold for $31. So, your choice would be $23-$25.80 versus $31 - eBay fees. (Not to mention, good luck selling it on CAG now that everyone bought it on new at Amazon for $29.99 during the DotD sale).

3. Oblivion is still $60 retail. Trade in credit is $23. Stacking the current promotions gives you: $23 + $2.30 + $2.30 + $5 = $32.60 (or just $28 flat).

Recent Oblivion sales on eBay average $40, so you have $28-$32.60 versus $40 - eBay fees. The gap here is actual significant enough that yes, you may want to sell this for yourself for $40.

But my point is to not be ignorant to the fact that during these special trade-in promotions at Gamestop, the trade-in deals are not bad - especially if they're taking any year's sport titles. Try to sell your copy of Madden 2006 for more than what than what Gamestop will give you for it now with the +$5 bonus.[/quote]

beat me to the punch!!

Ebay may be almost comparable or just slightly more than EB sometimes, but don't forget that you're getting cash, that you can use anywhere. EB credit stays at EB.

Don't forget trading on CAG either. I'm sure there's people who'd want a cheap saints row or Oblivion and could give you something you'd want.

That said, I'll be bringing in some garbage games that didn't sell on ebay for this, hoping to get EDF 2017 or TMNT on GBA.

Resident Evil 2 was labelled as $14.99, rang up as $5.24 standard price and $1.75 sale price.

Everything else was at the standard 75% off at the Mount Laurel location. Thanks OP.

[quote name='jer7583']Ebay may be almost comparable or just slightly more than EB sometimes, but don't forget that you're getting cash, that you can use anywhere. EB credit stays at EB.

Don't forget trading on CAG either. I'm sure there's people who'd want a cheap saints row or Oblivion and could give you something you'd want.

That said, I'll be bringing in some garbage games that didn't sell on ebay for this, hoping to get EDF 2017 or TMNT on GBA.[/quote]

true on both cases. however, no one's gonna trade me guitar hero 2 any time soon after release for the games i had, even if it was 5 360 games... the way i see it, trading 2 old games for one's not bad, and guitar hero's gonna cost 4 by that logic, so yeah, i lost one. but maybe that's enough to save me from paying postage, dealing w/ lowballers, and not getting money quickly (no paypal)... how many times i got offered dead rising for oblivion... i'm good just goin' down the street to get what games i want

eb credit may stay at eb, but around here, it's either eb, or wally world for guitar hero 2, so my cash would go there too

Here are a bunch of ps2 game trade in prices. I would update the wiki myself, but donno how to.

Ps2:
50 cent bullet proof $4
ace combat 5 $7
burnout 3 takedown $6
call of duty 2 $5
castlevania curse of darkness $8
devil may cry 3 $4
dragon ball z ten. 2 $14
ed, edd n eddy $6
fifa soccer 06 $6
final fantasy vii dirge $9
final fantasy x $8
ford bold moves $5
gran turismo 4 $4
gta liberty city stories $6
jak 3 $4
la rush $5
marvel ultimate alliance $10
ms saga $6
sonic mega collection $7
the godfather $6
the warriors $7

I just tried this deal. I called ahead of time and asked about it. They said two games for the extra $10. I get there a couple hours after I call. The one guy in the whole store says that I need a coupon from the website (??). I get him to call someone else. The guy on the phone tells him I don't need a coupon but that its THREE games for the extra $10. Is there some sort of link to the ad or somewhere where it says the deal? Mostly so I can go back there and shove it in his face.

[quote name='DesertBox']I just tried this deal. I called ahead of time and asked about it. They said two games for the extra $10. I get there a couple hours after I call. The one guy in the whole store says that I need a coupon from the website (??). I get him to call someone else. The guy on the phone tells him I don't need a coupon but that its THREE games for the extra $10. Is there some sort of link to the ad or somewhere where it says the deal? Mostly so I can go back there and shove it in his face.[/quote]

The register should do it automatically. The employee didn't believe me either until he tried it and it worked! Why do I know more about EB than their employees do?

Btw, here are my trade in values
Prey - $5
GRAW - $8

I can't wait to get Super Paper Mario for free!

Question: Can I bring in my 2 Wii Games and pre-order Super Paper Mario and have it be free when I pick it up..?

I dunno how to update the wiki either, but here's what I got for my stuff. All are 360 games. Prices are pre-bonuses:

Dead Rising - $17
Gears of War - $25
GRAW - $8
NBA 2K7 - $15
Saints Row - $16
Splinter Cell DA - $8 (!)

Ah, thanks for posting those prices, I'm planning to trade in Dead Rising, 2K7, and GRAW.

So that'll be. . . $40 + $12 (Edge Card 10% + Preorder for Halo 3 20%) + $10

$62, not bad.

I should probably find another 360 game to trade in so I can get that trade-in value and another $10. Probably bringing it up to $80.

[quote name='doubledown']Hmmmm, should I trade in my Dead Rising and Saint's Row for around $40ish credit.....it is only CREDIT there, correct?[/quote]

yes

[quote name='lilboo']I can't wait to get Super Paper Mario for free!

Question: Can I bring in my 2 Wii Games and pre-order Super Paper Mario and have it be free when I pick it up..?[/QUOTE]

Should be able to, since in effect you're just paying for the game right then.

NOTE: I'm not sure if this is common knowledge and I've been living under a rock, but I tried tonight to trade in two copies of Far Cry and they wouldn't allow it. The manager said it's a rule set by corporate to prevent people from stealing a bunch of copies of a game elsewhere and trading them all in, so they can't accept two copies of the same game. It sounded like a load of crap at the time, but he was nice enough about it and let me exchange a Far Cry for Open Season.

[quote name='CyrixD']Should be able to, since in effect you're just paying for the game right then.

NOTE: I'm not sure if this is common knowledge and I've been living under a rock, but I tried tonight to trade in two copies of Far Cry and they wouldn't allow it. The manager said it's a rule set by corporate to prevent people from stealing a bunch of copies of a game elsewhere and trading them all in, so they can't accept two copies of the same game. It sounded like a load of crap at the time, but he was nice enough about it and let me exchange a Far Cry for Open Season.[/quote]

i highly doubt you can get a reserve game for free using the ps3/wii deal. if so, extreme ymmv.

and yeah, there is a rule (somewhere...) that eb/gs employees won't accept multiple copies of the same game being traded in at the same time

I have to tell my story of the morons who are at my local stores.

I get to the first store around 11 and I browse the gamecube games first. I pick up Battalion wars, which was tagged at $34.99 and I ask for a price check. He rings it up at $8.99 and I hand him that $5 off coupon. As he's ringing that through I ask him about the trade 2 and he says he thinks it ended last month. I ask him to please make sure. After he finishes with the transaction he looks through the computer and says that he can't find anything. I shrug and say that I'll go to another store to nail down the details.

At the second store I immediately go in and ask him about it. He says he doesn't know. He then mentions that all the managers got together and threw out all the signage. Right after he says that, I look behind him and there's a giant sign that says trade 2 get one free. I try to read the details but it doesn't say when it ends which is what I was really trying to find.

I go to the third store where there is ton of signage posted everywhere and I look at one of the signs and it states when it ends. As I want to guarentee that I'll be getting Super Paper Mario right when it comes out, I ask them what would happen if I put money down to preorder it and then use the trade 2. They said they didn't know. They then said that they didn't think that the trade 2 was still going on. I point out one of the signs and one of them goes over to it to read it. The other one asks me what games I wanna trade in and I mention that it'll be 2 licensed games (from target). He then mentions that I should do the trade now "for a better game, to guarentee I can do it".

[quote name='aniousjoe']i highly doubt you can get a reserve game for free using the ps3/wii deal. if so, extreme ymmv.
[/QUOTE]

From the Far Cry and Open Season thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132793&page=3

[quote name='TomCloud9']I went into Eb and bought both used 17.99. Got back in line and traded both in for a paid in full paper mario pre order.[/QUOTE]

There's atleast an example of it working, don't know of any other similar success stories.

OK, I updated the wiki with the PS2 and 360 games posted here. You'd be surprised at how many went UP. E.g., Burnout 3 for PS2 from $3 to $6. Even a few 360 games went up a dollar or two. Of course more of them dropped in value than not ;).

Edit - If they are letting people use the trade 2 deal to preorder Super Paper Mario, what's to stop you from using it to preorder games that come out later like Metroid or Mario Party 8? Once the preorder is put in at $49.99 the means of obtaining the credit does not matter - so I suppose it is just a matter of getting the clerk to do it for you. Are they only letting people preorder SPM with the deal because it comes out before the end of the promo, or do they not really care?

As far as I was told, we couldn't use the trade-2-get-1 deal to reserve new games, however, we called another store, and that's what they've been doing, so it really is YMMV.

Trading to reserve is YMMV and if stores don't know that the deal is going on, well, they're just dumbasses then. All management should know the deals going on for the store. If you want to walk them through the process of looking for the deals, have them do this:

I'm not sure that it's displayed here, but its worth a shot at looking. At the home screen, press F3 to bring up the old format window for emails. Next, have them press the promotions button (F4 I believe). When they get to that screen, they'll have a list of sections to choose from. They'll want to choose trade in promos and then look through the deals for the Wii/PS3 trade deal.

Update on the Playstation 2 Trade-in deal. The store may say they don't offer it anymore, but I called Customer Service and they said its still in the system, just not advertised. I took my PS2 in today and got the deal. Keep in mind you needa Playstation 2 system with all the cables, an extra *Sony Brand* playstation 2 controller, and PS2 memory card (also probably Sony brand).

Well Tommorow Ill be taking my old ass PDZ and PGR3 to get the extra $!0 then use it to preorder GH2 and get the extra 10%. I doubt it will work but Im gonna try.

[quote name='nharmon91']Well Tommorow Ill be taking my old ass PDZ and PGR3 to get the extra $!0 then use it to preorder GH2 and get the extra 10%. I doubt it will work but Im gonna try.[/quote]

You can't preorder GH2 anymore. The SKU's been turned off for weeks.

[quote name='reibeatall']You can't preorder GH2 anymore. The SKU's been turned off for weeks.[/quote]

'tis true... gh2 pre-orders stopped a long time ago 'cause they filled up on orders, and don't really know how many each store will get... luckily for me, the manager already said if one of the pre-orders doesn't get taken up, i get mine from this deal...

[quote name='nharmon91']Wow that sucks ass.[/quote]

i'm sorry... they should've picked it up... lol... i kid
actually, i think it's understandable... look at how gh1 for ps2 was... some ppl couldn't find it b&m for weeks

[quote name='Alacrity']Update on the Playstation 2 Trade-in deal. The store may say they don't offer it anymore, but I called Customer Service and they said its still in the system, just not advertised. I took my PS2 in today and got the deal. Keep in mind you needa Playstation 2 system with all the cables, an extra *Sony Brand* playstation 2 controller, and PS2 memory card (also probably Sony brand).[/QUOTE]

For the PS2 -> PS3 trade in deal is it correct to assume that you're forced to buy a PS3 on the spot? No way of getting $100 credit on a card and walking out.

Traded in some more 360 games at gamestop today. Actually surprised how low in trade-in value CoD3 dropped to, but that may be because of the recent release of the Gold Edition.

Here are the prices without the bonus:

Call of Duty 2 $7
Call of Duty 3 $16
Samurai Warriors 2 $10
Bullet Witch $20

Total = $53

With promotion + Edge card, total came to = $78.30.

I actually tried to apply the credit towards pre-orders (Blue Dragon & VF5) to get another 10% trade in credit, but the employee couldn't get it to work. It seemed like you had to enter in a coupon code for the extra 10% trade-in on pre-orders, and since it already took the +$10 for 2 360 games, it wouldn't stack the two. I just kept the credit on the card.

bread's done
Back