GS/EB: trade 2 select wii games, get smash bros for 9.99 [full list included]

this is not a gs/eb bashing thread! please go cry me a river somewhere else!!!!

i saw the sign in store today, another store confirmed it starts monday feb 25

trade 2 of the following games on the list and you will get a new copy of smash for 9.99

ymmv: trading in 2 of the same title
ymmv: paying the tax on the game

for better results, rebuy with chronis's (chroni?) 10% coupon after picking up the game. see http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172953

big brain wii degree
brunswick pro bowling
carnival games
cooking mama cock off
dragon ball z tenkaichi 3
dragon quest masked queer
excite truck
fifa soccer 2008
fire emblem RD
heetseexer
zelda TP
lego star wars comlete saga
madden 08
mario sonic olympic games
mario party 8
mario strikers charged
medal of honor heroes 2
metroid corruption
mlb power pros
my sims
naruto ninja revolution
nba live 2008
need 4 speed pro street
nights journey of dreams
no more heroes
pokermon battle revolution
raymand raving rabbids 1
raymand raving rabbids 2
re4 wii
re umbrella chronicles
scarface
simpsons game
sims 2 castaway
supra mario galaxy
thrillvill off the rails
tiger woods 2008
TH proving ground
warioware smooth moves
svr 2008

That's not bad, considering the games are only 25-28 used through amazon and they only usually give 10-15$ TIV.

On the SSBB note: Show up to the release early if you live in a high volume area. The local store here told me that I need to show up early because... although nintendo is pretty good with meeting their pre-orders... they've ordered a lot and, like galaxies, expect to be a few copies shy.

The only Wii game I have that I'd consider trading in is Super Paper Mario. I honestly can't see myself ever playing that again, while my other 5 games are worth playing.

I'm sticking with the Circuit City deal.

This doesn't seem as good as the 20% power trade toward SSB:B. Super Mario Galaxy alone gets you SSB:B for $14. Depends on what you are willing to trade, I suppose.

I used the 20% towards the game when that was going on (not sure if it stoped or not)

So I am completly paid off and waiting for it to come in...

Damn the wait.

Thats an ass deal, don't go for it. You can sell any decent Wii game on ebay for at least 30. Thats 60 total, leaving u 10 left over for smash.

[quote name='daverage']Thats an ass deal, don't go for it. You can sell any decent Wii game on ebay for at least 30. Thats 60 total, leaving u 10 left over for smash.[/quote]
Agreed. It's a horrible deal, especially given that in the past they have had flat trade 2 for 1, and even that is bordering on criminal. If you want cash, try craigslist or ebay.
If you are patient, you could easily get 1000-1600 points on goozex for any 2 wii games which more than covers a copy of the game. There will be so many copies floating around that if you get on the list early on goozex and have points available you could get it within a few months.
I hate seeing people go directly through gamestop for trades; it inflates prices for everyone. This is only worth it if you have games you got in clearance sales, and even then you're still probably better off selling the games for cash and using the cash.

I've been preaching from DAY 1 that Gamestop is SUCH a ripoff. They never do any really good deals (except for their possible B2G4 on used DVDs/BluRays/HDDVDs, but that's cuz they're gonna stop selling them), and while every big box store around them has great prices on some really good games at any given time, they always pretty much remain expensive. Hell, even their used games are only like $5 off (i.e. Super Paper Mario used = $44.99 + tax).

I honestly don't know how they stay in business. Are there really THAT many people out there that are so loyal to Gamestop that they would pay extra money to shop there rather than travel a few miles (or less) to any other store and save money?

Really confuses me. Oh well...

My local Gamestop is great.... love the people in there and I know the manager pretty well. I agree though, the corporation rips people off with trade in values. I only trade stuff In if I have a coupon that bumps it up to 20%, or I know my game trades in for more than $30.

When they had the 30% coupon I traded in Halo 3 for $49 dollars which was pretty good. So the prices aren't great, but if you have patience and wait for specials then you can not get ripped off.

[quote name='jeagle82']

I honestly don't know how they stay in business. Are there really THAT many people out there that are so loyal to Gamestop that they would pay extra money to shop there rather than travel a few miles (or less) to any other store and save money?

Really confuses me. Oh well...[/quote]

it's consumer ignorance and laziness/impatience if anything. not everybody knows that there is a blockbuster, gamerush, and blockbuster where you can get at least half value, for the most part, on pricey games. then theres the other avenues (craiglist, ebay, trading, etc) that people wont take the time to pursue.

Do be aware that unless there's some loophole, GameStop is effectively giving you $40 towards purchasing something in their store and their store alone for $100 worth of product. (Since it's almost guaranteed they will not allow any games that cost less than $50 new)

You are losing $60 in this exchange.

Losing.

Remember this.

[quote name='jer7583']Do be aware that unless there's some loophole, GameStop is effectively giving you $40 towards purchasing something in their store and their store alone for $100 worth of product. (Since it's almost guaranteed they will not allow any games that cost less than $50 new)

You are losing $60 in this exchange.

Losing.

Remember this.[/quote]

Am I the only one that seems to recall a period on this site when deals could get posted and people wouldn't incessantly bitch about the company or store offering them? The simple fact is that GS/EB offer a service and you can just as easily choose to not use them. For many of us, though, we understand how to take advantage of various deals and coupons and mor eor less break even with them.

I would think anyone on this site would be old enough and intelligent enough to figure out the math on what they're trading in. By no means do you need to give up $100 worth of merchandise for $40. The very reason this site exists is so you don't spend $100 on $100 worth of merchandise, so presumably people got those trade-in titles far cheaper. This is also assuming they bought the games when they were brand new. A lot of Wii titles have not only dropped in price, but many good ones never even were full price. The post above you says RE4 is good, and it can be bought for $20 now. You'd get $20 for $20 of merchandise. Yea, bad deal!

[quote name='Ilario7886']Am I the only one that seems to recall a period on this site when deals could get posted and people wouldn't incessantly bitch about the company or store offering them? The simple fact is that GS/EB offer a service and you can just as easily choose to not use them. For many of us, though, we understand how to take advantage of various deals and coupons and mor eor less break even with them.

I would think anyone on this site would be old enough and intelligent enough to figure out the math on what they're trading in. By no means do you need to give up $100 worth of merchandise for $40. The very reason this site exists is so you don't spend $100 on $100 worth of merchandise, so presumably people got those trade-in titles far cheaper. This is also assuming they bought the games when they were brand new. A lot of Wii titles have not only dropped in price, but many good ones never even were full price. The post above you says RE4 is good, and it can be bought for $20 now. You'd get $20 for $20 of merchandise. Yea, bad deal![/quote]

true that

I don't think he is talking about $100 in value because someone paid that much for them, but rather $100 in value because they could be sold on eBay for that much. But yes, I think people can decide for themselves...

[quote name='zedarkness']If it allows me to trade my Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 and my Mario and Sonic at the olypic games, im all for it[/quote]

AAGH! This is what everyone is ranting about. Those games are basically new. Even if you only paid $20 each for them (which is unlikely), why not turn a profit for cash that you can spend anywhere and not just at gamestop.

Here, I did the work for you:
http://product.half.ebay.com/Mario-Sonic-at-the-Olympic-Games_W0QQprZ59366726QQtgZinfo - lowest price is $41
http://product.half.ebay.com/Rayman-Raving-Rabbids-2_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ60534489 - lowest price is $39.98

Now all you have to do is click the "Sell your stuff" link on each page, list your games for $1 less than the lowest price, and wait a few days. You have about $80, which means you still have $25 (if you have sales tax) in cash. To spend anywhere. On My Horse and Me:
http://product.half.ebay.com/My-Horse-and-Me_W0QQprZ61677760QQtgZinfo

And despite Ilario7886's lament of the long-lost days of CAG milk and honey where everyone hugged and no one was ever sad, I appreciate as many perspectives as possible on a "deal". Isn't that the whole point of the thread system? And look through any thread and you will see your statement about all users being old and intelligent blown to hell. Rant over. Touch me.

want a great example of how this is a rip off? HERE!

2h5lmvc.jpg

^

this was actually on the ads on CAG Forums

Not that I condone flipping, but Heatseeker is currently $14.99 at Circuit City. And I think Tony Hawk is on clearance at Target.

[quote name='Josef']Not that I condone flipping, but Heatseeker is currently $14.99 at Circuit City. And I think Tony Hawk is on clearance at Target.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i'm gonna try and snatch up Heatseeker tomorrow. I already have one of the games needed to trade. And Tony Hawk is still 24.XX at most targets. But its worth it since i already have trade in credit to pay off the 9.99

If you looking in the right spots you should be able to get two of those games for less than $25. So you are looking at getting Brawl for $35+tax. Not bad.

Any idea when the trade-in deal ends? I'm at least a week from finishing one of the games on the list.

[quote name='mephitical'] you could get it within a few months.
[/quote]

WTF! Myself and fellow SSB nerds cannot accept this as a possiblity :D

[quote name='monkeydeew']
cooking mama cock off
dragon quest masked queer

[/quote]

What has happened to our innocent gamestop?!

sounds like a pissed off fanboy graphic designer at gamestop. Nobody makes that many mistakes in one ad.

And perspectives are never bad. Just want people to clearly understand that they are only getting $20 per game and this isn't really a deal unless you go for the cheaper games. Seems that there are a few cheaper ones they're taking, though.

[quote name='plasmabeam']The only Wii game I have that I'd consider trading in is Super Paper Mario. I honestly can't see myself ever playing that again, while my other 5 games are worth playing.

I'm sticking with the Circuit City deal.[/quote]

Will Circuit City have a midnight launch?
Will any store have a midnight launch for that matter.

How would it work if I already had SSBB reserved at GS with the $5 deposit. Would trading in 2 games give me $5 credit or would they refund the credit and start over?

[quote name='jeagle82']I've been preaching from DAY 1 that Gamestop is SUCH a ripoff. They never do any really good deals (except for their possible B2G4 on used DVDs/BluRays/HDDVDs, but that's cuz they're gonna stop selling them), and while every big box store around them has great prices on some really good games at any given time, they always pretty much remain expensive. Hell, even their used games are only like $5 off (i.e. Super Paper Mario used = $44.99 + tax).

Really confuses me. Oh well...[/quote]

True, some of the specials may be bad, but those coupon books from the holidays made me thousands of dollars! Not to mention the B2G1 sales they have! Got to love ebay!

Sad fact is, many fools complain about the $5 off games (from the new prices) yet they still buy them. You would be surprised at how well this works. And lastly, GameStop will always be in business, no matter how people hate the company. They own the video game industry for sales (even beating out Wal-Mart). All these people complain about the company, yet they still turn hundreds of millions of dollars in profit.

Hey it could be worse. You could go to a Buybacks or some local Mom & Pop shop where they base all their damn prices on Amazon! Yes! Lets go spend $105 for SMT: Nocturne when I could get it at GameStop for $60 (if you can find it).

Those places are the real rip-offs, at least for all the good rare stuff.

[quote name='jer7583']sounds like a pissed off fanboy graphic designer at gamestop. Nobody makes that many mistakes in one ad.[/quote]

The pic got removed but the names are right on the in store ad. It's the OP monkeydeew making these name changes.

There are some games on that list, like RE4 and Power Pros, that are $30 new, so GS would only give you like $10-$15 for those. For the most part, though, this is an awful deal.

don't forget the ebay and paypal fees...you are about breaking even

][quote name='daverage']Thats an ass deal, don't go for it. You can sell any decent Wii game on ebay for at least 30. Thats 60 total, leaving u 10 left over for smash.[/quote]

bread's done
Back