GS/EB Trade In Profit Thread

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey well I wanted to make a thread for people in here (to keep it all condensed) to show off ways of purchising games at other stores (regular, or using coupons) and then trading them in at gamestop/ebgames and actully making money (aka: store credit)

I'll keep this top post updated as much as I can with the most recent deals.

(ps: moderators.. if this isn't the right forum, feel free to move it)

I would find it a bit unusual if someone actually made a profit from Gamestop/EBgames. I mean from what I have had seen from other posters in the current deal thread for GS/EB is that they're barely breaking even from what they had originally paid.

Granted, I mean by actually finding a game that sells for really cheap and trading it in for more than paid for and not by using Gamerush credit to transfer games to GS/EB.

I remember hearing lots of stories of people making a profit at Gamerush though.

I bought the last two halo triple packs at a circuit city near me when they were $10. I kept one, and traded in the other when gamestop was having the trade 3, get an extra $10 and when Halo 2 was worth $20. I made 10 from Halo 1, 5 from the multiplayer pack, 20 from halo 2, 10 from the bonus promotion, and an extra 5 from the 10% extra card. I spent $10 and came out with $50.

[quote name='garfep']Just FYI, this is also known as "flipping."[/quote]

or hoarding...

The problem is that the deals are pretty widespread now (FW/SD/etc), so there is not as much of a chance to make cash. EB/GS give you a pittance anyway, and eBay is not very profitable when you have the aforementioned FW/SD/etc people who don't understand simple economic concepts (like supply and demand), so they list every copy of the game they just hoarded from a good sale and flood the market.

EDIT: There is sometimes a chance to make money from EB/GS when they have the promos where they offer extra cash (e.g., $10 for trading in 3 as the poster above mentioned), but you benefit from that simply by buying the cheapest games you can find so a separate thread really isn't needed.

haha I'm still clinging onto my beautiful memories of 90% games at TRU with the trade 3 extra $10 or trade 3 for a psp game deals

I remember when I bought 6 of the cheapest used 360 games Gamestop had at the time last october. The total came out to about $75. Because they had the buy 2 get 1 free so 6 games for the price of 4, plus I got 10% off with the edge card and 10% off with the gameinformer coupon.

I proceeded to FYE down the street who had a trade 2 360 games in get a brand new one. Picked up NBA 2k7(pretty new at the time and very awesome game), Splinter Cell Double Agent(came out that week), and Saint's Row(really wanted it and sort of new).

I'm guessing the OP is more interested in making money for himself rather than make a thread to help us CAGers.

[quote name='garfep']Just FYI, this is also known as "flipping."[/quote]
Yeah but that is only if you are buying from one GS and "flipping" it to another GS in a different location. The OP is talking about buying cheap games from other stores and selling them to GS. He was probably inspired to create this thread from reading the Open Season, Far Cry, and Super Paper Mario thread but like someone stated before, there aren't many ways to "make money" without some sort of promotion like a "trade 3 games and get $10 extra."

[quote name='Vinny']I'm guessing the OP is more interested in making money for himself rather than make a thread to help us CAGers.[/quote]

Well how would you want me to put it haha?
I created this thread to help as many peopel that wanted to know as possible

[quote name='CrossFireXT17']Well how would you want me to put it haha?
I created this thread to help as many peopel that wanted to know as possible[/quote]

Well if thats your goal you typically say something to help people. Instead your waiting for others to do your thread for you?

Can't say that I have anything to contribute myself as I've never profited from buying and then trading in games. But, being a poor college student who'd love to save/make some extra money, I'm interested in learning about this as well.

I don't see hows it morally 'wrong' to buy a game from one store and then trade it in at another.

I remeber when during the trade 3 get an extra $10 on non sports, I literally bought JSRF, Max Payne 1, and Max Payne 2. Every copy GS had. Traded them into another GS, then rebought with the credit. Traded them back in. Combined that with a bunch copies of Suikoden Tactics, Half Life 2, and Pirates from the CC clearance. Ended up getting myself a 360 premuim and Saints Row for about $100.

Well, right now Target has Tony Hawk's Proving Ground at 75% off for $14.99. I'm assuming EB/GS still give $20 for it, but I could be wrong. If it drops to 85% off I'll definately flip it.

Considering there's still a bunch left I won't feel guilty considering if I don't do it, somebody else will, or worse yet, somebody will have to suffer through that game.

Do EB/GS and other stores that accept trade ins allow you to keep the store credit and use it later or do you have to use it at the same time that you trade in the games? Or do any of them pay you cash?

If its store credit you can use it later. It'll pretty much sit on that card forever. One benefit of credit is that if you buy something with it, there is no tax.

Cash is 20% less

Try telling that 'no tax' thing to a couple Gamestop people I dealt with in the past couple years. When I was flipping games to amass credit during their 'trade 3, get $10 extra' deal, I went to buy some games with the credit and at least 3-4 times I was charged tax. I tried explaining to them that I thought when you buy something with credit, there's no tax, but they seemed adamant about their belief that there was and that I was wrong and they were right.

So, I simply left, since I was only buying copies of a game to flip to FYE anyway and I was guaranteed to make 300 or more percent over what I was paying anyway, so I wasn't too worried about .30-.40.

Blockbuster gives $35.00 credit each for Tony Hawks Proving Ground. BUT they have to override and enter it in as the regular version as the one at Target is the Limited Edition and won't show up in there system. So far none of the 3 BBs have given me a problelm. GS only gives around 18.00 trade credit for it. I've personally bought about 10 of the THPG from Target and traded them to BB, and then sold the giftcard on eBay for a big cash profit.

[quote name='contej85']I remeber when during the trade 3 get an extra $10 on non sports, I literally bought JSRF, Max Payne 1, and Max Payne 2. Every copy GS had. Traded them into another GS, then rebought with the credit. Traded them back in. Combined that with a bunch copies of Suikoden Tactics, Half Life 2, and Pirates from the CC clearance. Ended up getting myself a 360 premuim and Saints Row for about $100.[/quote]

I had it even better. They also ran a B2G1 in my area....I turned $40 of credit into $660 of credit in 2 weeks by doing the same thing you mentioned. By the end of it I was flipping 30-40 games per visit.

Why tell people to get a real job when you don't necessarily know what their job is? Seriously, I just did this in my off time and had a good time doing it. No need for stupid comments like that.

One time sears was having a clearance sale and i picked up nfsu2 for ten dollars. I was surprised to see that eb gave the same amount for trading it.

[quote name='mofo1115']haha I'm still clinging onto my beautiful memories of 90% games at TRU with the trade 3 extra $10 or trade 3 for a psp game deals[/QUOTE]

That was pretty damn crazy!

In order to come out ahead on a deal at gs/eb they have to have a promo running. If you do fing cheap current gen games the trade 2 get extra $10 ussually is ok. Many were buying the clearance wii and 360 games at cc when they had the trade 2 get a new game. Other than that the e-mail coupons they send out can be pretty good at times. The best coupon they had in the last 2 months was the buy a game cube get a cube game free. You paid 42ish after tax and could pick up some of the games like TP, mario party, or ddr mario if you found 1 and it was a great deal. Then you just had to sell the cube and keep the games or sell. I did this and got 3 free games. These situations are quite rare. Your best bet may be to check the best buy price drops tomorrow and if they are anywhere near last years you may actually be able to build some decent credit. Honestly gs RAPES you most of the time.

Do they all offer cash as well? Honestly I'm trying to save up extra money to get a PS3 down the road, but I'm not sure which store I will buy it at...probably Wal Mart since I work there and can get 10% off...

Cash is usually ALOT less than taking credit, so you're better off just trading in stuff if you plan on using the credit AT Gamestop. Otherwise, you're screwing yourself in the end.

This thread deserves my:

flipper.jpg

I agree with many of the other posters, this is not easy to do at EB/GS. Their trade in values generally suck for anything that wasn't released that week.

This is do able if you have a local gamestore (not a chain) and they have a new game ridiculously low priced, which you can then trade in at GS.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Get a real job people. Your time is worth more than the couple hundred you can make in the huge waste of time this is.[/quote]

Really? At my real job I make $25 or so an hour. When I was flipping, I made $450 in 2 hours. Waste of time? Not a bit.

[quote name='contej85']Really? At my real job I make $25 or so an hour. When I was flipping, I made $450 in 2 hours. Waste of time? Not a bit.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, nice. How'd you pull that off?

I bought several 360 games at the Kmart clearance and turned around and traded them in at GS when they had trade in 2 360 games get a extra $10. I spent $35 on the games but I ended up with $60 credit :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Cash is usually ALOT less than taking credit, so you're better off just trading in stuff if you plan on using the credit AT Gamestop. Otherwise, you're screwing yourself in the end.[/quote]yeah totally agree especially after taxes.

[quote name='necrojustice']I bought a used halo 2 for $6.99 at a blockbuster one time and traded it in months later to another for $26.99[/quote]lol now thats rare.

[quote name='mofo1115']haha I'm still clinging onto my beautiful memories of 90% games at TRU with the trade 3 extra $10 or trade 3 for a psp game deals[/QUOTE]

It was trade 2 get $10 extra. I got my PSP for a net cost of $75 from that deal and got 2 games for under $10 each net cost.

The 3 I remember were Turok for GCN was $1.00, traded in for $5.75 after the bonus. R Racing Evolution was $1.50, traded in for $7.00 after the bonus, MGS 2 on XBox was $1.50, traded in for $7.00 after the bonus.

[quote name='necrojustice']I bought a used halo 2 for $6.99 at a blockbuster one time and traded it in months later to another for $26.99[/quote]lol now thats funny.

[quote name='rmb']In order to come out ahead on a deal at gs/eb they have to have a promo running. If you do fing cheap current gen games the trade 2 get extra $10 ussually is ok. Many were buying the clearance wii and 360 games at cc when they had the trade 2 get a new game. Other than that the e-mail coupons they send out can be pretty good at times. The best coupon they had in the last 2 months was the buy a game cube get a cube game free. You paid 42ish after tax and could pick up some of the games like TP, mario party, or ddr mario if you found 1 and it was a great deal. Then you just had to sell the cube and keep the games or sell. I did this and got 3 free games. These situations are quite rare. Your best bet may be to check the best buy price drops tomorrow and if they are anywhere near last years you may actually be able to build some decent credit. Honestly gs RAPES you most of the time.[/quote] didn't you lose money when you traded in the cubes?

flipping games is getting harder and harder. Gs doesn't even give the 40% for trade ins like they used to. andb there tiv vary from store to store. before they merged it was alot easier to do.

bread's done
Back