GS: Ikaruga used $19.99 now ($17.99 w/ EDGE) - also other GC rarities

karkyco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
icongamecube.gif
icongs_r1.gif

Looks like the awesome and somewhat difficult to find shooter, Ikaruga, is now $19.99 used at Gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=25761

Not available online, of course, but if you've had this on your want list and have it at a local store, it's no longer $44.99/$39.99/$27.99...quite a bit more palatable at $19.99 + 10% off w/ EDGE = $17.99

And of course, while you're looking for other Gamecube rarities, the two Phantasy Star Onlines that are worth something, PSO 1+2 and PSO 1+2 PLUS, are $4.99 each, as they have been for years now (good luck finding a copy of either):

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=35651

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=16482

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is now $22.99:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=27755

And don't forget NCAA 2K3, also $4.99 (again, good luck finding it!):

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=22366

anyone else ever find NBA 2K3 with Iverson on the cover, freak out, snatch it really fast, then get home to realize it's NCAA that's the rare one? I've done this more times than I care to admit. It usually only costs like a dollar or two anyway.

I'm gonna track down Twin Snakes and Ikaruga (even though I have the 360 version) at those prices.

[quote name='ninja dog']anyone else ever find NBA 2K3 with Iverson on the cover, freak out, snatch it really fast, then get home to realize it's NCAA that's the rare one? I've done this more times than I care to admit. It usually only costs like a dollar or two anyway.

I'm gonna track down Twin Snakes and Ikaruga (even though I have the 360 version) at those prices.[/QUOTE]

FLOL one location in LA actually had it last year...at least the case for it. I buy it, take it home, then look closely at the disc and realize it's NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3. mother fucker I was so pissed. Wasted my damn time having to return it.

[quote name='karkyco']FLOL one location in LA actually had it last year...at least the case for it. I buy it, take it home, then look closely at the disc and realize it's NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3. mother fucker I was so pissed. Wasted my damn time having to return it.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing and right after transaction I opened the box to find out they gave me the football game. Ugh.

how is a college BB game rare? there are only 3 stores that have it, so I could hunt it, but I gotta know why!?! none of the PSO games around..I can maybe pick up Ikaruga today, but I have it on XBLA and can't get past the second level..so it would only be for collecting.

[quote name='token2k6']how is a college BB game rare? there are only 3 stores that have it, so I could hunt it, but I gotta know why!?! none of the PSO games around..I can maybe pick up Ikaruga today, but I have it on XBLA and can't get past the second level..so it would only be for collecting.[/QUOTE]

I think sega lost the rights or something and only a few copies were printed.

[quote name='token2k6']how is a college BB game rare? there are only 3 stores that have it, so I could hunt it, but I gotta know why!?! none of the PSO games around..I can maybe pick up Ikaruga today, but I have it on XBLA and can't get past the second level..so it would only be for collecting.[/QUOTE]

Dude, GET ALL 3 COPIES OF NCAA 2K3 College Basketball for the Gamecube ASAP (but remember to check the disc to verify it actually is NCAA 2K3 college BASKETBALL)!

It's one of the rarest Gamecube games because the print run was so low, as stated I also believe it was because Sega lost the rights. Either that, or demand was estimated to be extremely low so made a very small print run of it.

Believe me, I would never pay the money collectors do for it, but I would gladly sell it to them at those prices! It's substantially more than the $4.99 Gamestop is asking for it.

Wow... glad I sold both Ikaruga and NCAA Basketball 2k3 while they were $70+ Reminds me of the days when Phoenix Wright were going for $60+ and I had gotten like 4 copies for $5 each from gamestop...

I swear I've made more money flipping gamecube games than anything.

On more than one occasion I've seen Gamestop be the cocktease and list a copy of NCAA Football 2003 as the basketball title. After seeing it was available on the website I go to the store and see a copy of the football game with a price sticker for NCAA Basketball 2K3 on it :bomb:

well no dice guys! called all three stores in Houston area, confirmed to have the game, but none of them had the case and manual, so I don't think I'll get it..inquired to one store about an MG:TS and he snickered, "oh no case for that, I know that for a fact!" I replied, "yeah you would.." OH well, thanks for the enlightenment OP, I'll add these to my list to check out for..

[quote name='Josef']On more than one occasion I've seen Gamestop be the cocktease and list a copy of NCAA Football 2003 as the basketball title. After seeing it was available on the website I go to the store and see a copy of the football game with a price sticker for NCAA Basketball 2K3 on it :bomb:[/QUOTE]

YUP. And the funniest part is, they charge $.99 for NCAA College Football 2K3, but $4.99 for the BBall 2K3. Quintuple rip-off FTL!

BTW, one store had a copy of 2K3 college football for GC with the FOOTBALL scratched off the disc itself, and was selling it as BBall 2K3. Be VERY careful in your search for this, as I said!

EDIT: Token, I'd get the disc only copies of 2K3 College BBall anyway for resale purposes. Get the stores to at least give you an empty Gamecube case to go with the game, and then print out case inserts from www.thecoverproject.net . You can then list them for sale as "complete with case/insert, missing manual only". Worth more than disc only.

[quote name='karkyco']YUP. And the funniest part is, they charge $.99 for NCAA College Football 2K3, but $4.99 for the BBall 2K3. Quintuple rip-off FTL!

BTW, one store had a copy of 2K3 college football for GC with the FOOTBALL scratched off the disc itself, and was selling it as BBall 2K3. Be VERY careful in your search for this, as I said!

EDIT: Token, I'd get the disc only copies of 2K3 College BBall anyway for resale purposes. Get the stores to at least give you an empty Gamecube case to go with the game, and then print out case inserts from www.thecoverproject.net . You can then list them for sale as "complete with case/insert, missing manual only". Worth more than disc only.[/QUOTE]

true, but most collector's aren't going to want the printed off cover.. theyre going to want the real one. and the way people want something for free on ebay these days people will be complaining and filing disputes about your listing of "missing manual only"

[quote name='groundskeeper']Wow, Twin snakes is rare? There are three stores near in the Burlington VT area that have this in stock.[/QUOTE]

It's not THAT rare. On eBay complete, used copies go for about the price Gamestop is charging.

my gamestop has a copy of ikaruga, but it was $25 last time so i passed. maybe this time?
unfortunately no case nor manual. well there is a case with no insert.

Has anyone ever seen either PSO Ep I&II for GC game in-stock at a GS store using the store locator within the past couple of years? Because I haven't. I remember they didn't have product pages online for the longest time, then they both show up with 4.99 prices listed. Seems kinda weird. Makes me wonder if they take it in trade.

[quote name='jaybird']It's not THAT rare. On eBay complete, used copies go for about the price Gamestop is charging.[/QUOTE]

It's not that rare, but it is a great game and if you play it and hold onto it until right before the next MGS game comes out you will get a pretty penny for it. I sold mine right before MGS4 came out for 74.99 buy it now on ebay, then put it in my goozex cue and got another one about 6 months later for 350 points. Definitely worth getting and holding onto.

I didn't even think Gamestop allowed you to trade in the PSOs, because it had an activation code that you needed to input to go online with it and once you put that code in you couldn't use it on another gamecube. (Besides the Xbox version, which didn't need a code but an XBL account to even PLAY it).

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']true, but most collector's aren't going to want the printed off cover.. theyre going to want the real one. and the way people want something for free on ebay these days people will be complaining and filing disputes about your listing of "missing manual only"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those bastards, complaining about getting an inkjet printed copy of an insert instead of an original.

I think I'll print off some scans of $20 bills to pay for that copy, then we'd be even.

[quote name='BrandonJ33']Has anyone ever seen either PSO Ep I&II for GC game in-stock at a GS store using the store locator within the past couple of years? Because I haven't. I remember they didn't have product pages online for the longest time, then they both show up with 4.99 prices listed. Seems kinda weird. Makes me wonder if they take it in trade.[/QUOTE]
For the first time, I'm seeing Plus listed after not being in stock for ages.

Now if only I could find a dirt cheap copy of Episode III.

[quote name='CaoPi']people still play PSO?[/QUOTE]
You better believe it.

Thank you OP! I hooked my GC back up, and had been playing some games, I think I'll be picking up Ikaruga as there are several locations near me that have a copy.

[quote name='icedrake523']I still need to play Twin Snakes. Bought it 4 years ago because I knew it was rare.[/QUOTE]
Hell, I preordered it... Still haven't played it. :lol:

(Sadly, I did open it.)

[quote name='Tsukento']For the first time, I'm seeing Plus listed after not being in stock for ages.

Now if only I could find a dirt cheap copy of Episode III.

You better believe it.[/QUOTE]

Episode 3 (isn't some sort of Card game?) is also $4.99 at Gamestop, and there are tons of copies available, at least in L.A.

[quote name='CaoPi']people still play PSO?[/QUOTE]

I hear rumors of people playing it online through private servers.

I found it a couple months ago at a local gamestore for $10. My roommate and I play it sometimes. It's still fun.

[quote name='whoknows']I hear rumors of people playing it online through private servers.

I found it a couple months ago at a local gamestore for $10. My roommate and I play it sometimes. It's still fun.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, plus the Gamecube version is 4 players offline multiplayer. I think the XBox version is too, but you need an XBox Live account just to play the game at all (not a big deal), but also I'm not sure it's backwards compatible and can be played on the 360. It's still a very fun multiplayer game.

It is said that only Blockbuster carried College Basketball 2K3 for the GC in its rental section, so any used copies are supposed to be ex-rentals from there. That makes it even harder to track down, especially a complete copy.

Still, even if only a few copies were made, you have to wonder why anyone would want to collect this. It's an old, outdated sports game.

[quote name='Rozz']It is said that only Blockbuster carried College Basketball 2K3 for the GC in its rental section, so any used copies are supposed to be ex-rentals from there. That makes it even harder to track down, especially a complete copy.

Still, even if only a few copies were made, you have to wonder why anyone would want to collect this. It's an old, outdated sports game.[/QUOTE]

While I agree 100%...these are collectors we are talking about.

Old, outdated sports games? Can't get much more old and outdated that Bandai's Family Fun Fitness Stadium Events, and we've all seen the damn eBay auction story on that one. $13K!!!

[quote name='UjnHunter']LOLcat I still have Twin Snakes in shrinkwrap that I bought new for $10 at TRU or something...[/QUOTE]

me too! that's when I first joined CAG I was going crazy at TRU for all the price dropped games!

[quote name='Tsukento']Wouldn't it make more sense to just get it on Xbox Live instead? It's cheaper and has online multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that but the one thing that made me want to get the GC version was that I thought the game was in fullscreen on the GC. BUt I've been looking at videos and noticed that its not fullscreen, and no matter what (asidefrom turning my tv sideways) i'm not going to get away from having those black bars on the side of the screen. I'm going to try out the Ikaruga Xbox live demo. If its cheaper then I guess it would be better to buy the game via Xbox live. I was pissed because when the game was on sale I couldn't get it for the onsale price cause I wasn't a gold member.

I keep secretly hoping that the game will get released on PSN.

[quote name='Thomas96']me too! that's when I first joined CAG I was going crazy at TRU for all the price dropped games![/QUOTE]

Kmart had a glut of $10 copies of Twin Snakes around that time too

[quote name='karkyco']Yeah, plus the Gamecube version is 4 players offline multiplayer. I think the XBox version is too, but you need an XBox Live account just to play the game at all (not a big deal), but also I'm not sure it's backwards compatible and can be played on the 360. It's still a very fun multiplayer game.[/QUOTE]
Xbox version is completely offline and the private servers have no intention on hosting it because it requires Xbox Live to access it.

bread's done
Back