GS TIV: Trade 2/4/7 get extra $10/25/50 on 360/PS3/Wii games, $30 HW bonus on new HW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6866412

[quote name='CheapyD']I'd like to encourage you guys to submit your GameStop trade-in values to our database directly. You can access it from the main navigation bar under Retailers -> GameStop or here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/retailer.php?do=view&retailerid=13[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

Upcoming Promos:

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I didn't see this posted here.

I work at GS and we just got the info on this in today's store informer. Basically 50% trade in credit on ALL games. Yes, every game and no minimum value. As usual it stacks with Edge card.

I know I have some crap to unload come Monday![/QUOTE]

flagg1216 also noted that this promo only goes for a week.

[quote name='flagg1216']wii/ps3/360 trade 2 for 20% bonus 4 for 30%bonus or 6+ for 40%

no other info.no pics.[/QUOTE]
This one will probably start after the week long Extra 50% on all games promo.

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Trade more, get more! (2/21/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 2 Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games and get an extra $10 trade-in credit, trade 4 get $25 or trade 7 get $50.

Expires: 2/21/2010. Games with a trade value of $5.00 or less are excluded from offer. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. Offer not good on cash trades.[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (2/21/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 2/21/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID (thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Arkansas, California, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I can personally say that I hate ebay right now. With the exception of selling certain types of items on ebay & w/ the shady way they make sellers out to be the villains, it's difficult to make any profit/money off of items that you are selling.

Wow, $35 for ME2? I may have to trade mine in for $47.25 credit towards FF13. That's about $10 more than I paid for it with BB pm'ing the TRU ad & using a rewards cert.

Of course ebay is also gonna want more people to buy stuff on ebay thinking they are getting oh so awesome deals, because that means more profit from seller fees & paypal.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']I think this is one of the people I blasted a few pages back for wasting people's time in this thread just playing a joke. No way this is serious but I'll answer for some reason beyond my understanding.

GS/EB might not have the best base TiVs, but if you factor in Edge and trade in during the best promos you are usually in the same boat if you trading in via Amazon or sold it on ebay.

With GS/EB, you bring a game in, and walk out with credit instantly. With Amazon you risk being rejected and you have to wait for your credit. With ebay, its even more of a crapshoot, you have to pay fees and shipping plus risk someone trying to chargeback/scam you. In the end you probably make less than a few bucks more per game, if that. Is that worth the hassle? There is a value to walking in and walking out with credit with no questions asked.[/QUOTE]

i think u've got the wrong guy..lol
ok i see ur point but i dont have edge card..

but u know some people bought a game for $40-60 and they get what? 1-25$ at most? its ridiculous, because for me money isnt unlimited resource

but what i mean is that u better off selling ur stuff on forum or ebay or even craigslist. so that u can help ur fellow CAG friend too u know.. rather than feeding some big company for more money

im not a GS hater but look at these videos
h**p://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/9/Zero-Originality-Episode-1-570285.html

and please im not trolling
i am too a CAG and i just want to know WHY GS is a better alternative if u think marginal benefit > marginal cost if u selling at GS

[quote name='tengikboy']i think u've got the wrong guy..lol

but u know some people bought a game for $40-60 and they get what? 1-25$ at most? its ridiculous, because for me money isnt unlimited resource

but what i mean is that u better off selling ur stuff on forum or ebay or even craigslist. so that u can help ur fellow CAG friend too u know.. rather than feeding some big company for more money

i am too a CAG and i just want to know WHY GS is a better alternative if u think marginal benefit > marginal cost if u selling at GS[/QUOTE]

Please, just stop.

This isn't the thread for this... go make a thread on the General Gaming forum about your issues with Gamestop.

[quote name='tengikboy']i think u've got the wrong guy..lol

i am too a CAG and i just want to know WHY GS is a better alternative if u think marginal benefit > marginal cost if u selling at GS[/QUOTE]

You forget this is CAG and we hardly ever buy anything at MSRP. That being said, most of us also shop at clearance prices, buy games at $10-$20, and sell at GS during promos + EDGE and actually PROFIT.

For example, Gamefly right now has a few games on sale at $10 free shipping. I picked up X-Men Origins Wolverine and Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood today. Assuming I don't even play them (I plan to), and trade them into GS right away, I would get $8 for Wolverine, plus $10 for CoJ:BiB plus the BONUS $10, plus 10% Edge which would net me about $28.xx which is a PROFIT. I'm actually combining into some others for the TRADE 7 deal which will net me even better returns.

If you still don't get it then just keep your confusion to yourself. This goes for other whiners as well.

Base TiV:

:ps3:
Guitar Hero Van Halen $7.25

:360:
BCFX: Doug Williams Edition $5.75
King of Fighters XII $7.25
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 $5.25
Legends of Wrestlemania $7.25
Far Cry 2 $7.00

:wii:
Toy Story Mania $15.00

$110 total after promo - $4 refurb :bomb: (damn friends).

Also took some more shit in today but the receipt is in my car. Will post those later.

[quote name='thebytewasbit']I can personally say that I hate ebay right now. With the exception of selling certain types of items on ebay & w/ the shady way they make sellers out to be the villains, it's difficult to make any profit/money off of items that you are selling.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. You have to be beyond anal to sell stuff on eBay, because if you screw up the smallest, possible thing, the buyer will automatically win any dispute. Sometimes, you don't even have to screw anything up. There are just people out there looking to scam, and they know exactly how to work the system.

I have a GS question and figured this would be a good place to ask.

If you buy something full with credit, do you pay have to pay tax (I'm in NJ btw)?

I ask b/c I'm considering this 7/$50 promo. If I trade in the 7 games I don't want, I'd get $97. I could get $58 of Amazon credit through Gazelle. While the difference is $39, take into account Amazon takes off $3-5 from MSRP, sometimes offers the $10 credit, the difference, and I buy from them far more often, it may be better to go that route.

[quote name='icedrake523']If you buy something full with credit, do you pay have to pay tax (I'm in NJ btw)?[/QUOTE]

not in select states. i believe the first post of this thread has that as a FAQ with the specific states listed

[quote name='jp0213']According to the information provided in this thread, New Jersey is listed as a no tax when using credit.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Didn't think to check the first post #-o

I may just go with Gazelle anyway. Amazon credit is more valuable since I use it so often as well as other benefits and there are some games I'd like to keep and would only trade to get to the 7.

Just jumped on the "Trade 7 Get $50" deal... and pruned my past-gen collection while I was at it.

:360: Halo 3 6.00
:360: Orange Box 7.00
:360: Assassin's Creed 2 10.00 (harsh!)
:360: Star Ocean: The Last Hope 14.25
:360: Bullet Witch 1.00

:ps3: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 9.50

:ps2: The Red Star 0.55
:ps2: La Pucelle: Tactics 0.75
:ps2: Wild ARMs Alter Code: F 4.75
:ps2: Persona 3 FES 5.25
:ps2: Persona 4 9.00
:ps2: Xenosaga Episode I 0.70
:ps2: Xenosaga Episode II 0.85
:ps2: Xenosaga Episode III 7.25
:ps2: Rygar 0.90
:ps2: Jak II 1.25

:psp: Daxter 0.66

:wii: Zelda: Twilight Princess 9.25
:wii: Mario Kart Wii (game only) 18.25

:gc: Super Mario Sunshine 2.75
:gc: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1.50
:gc: Viewtiful Joe 0.65
:gc: Super Monkey Ball 2 2.00

:ds: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 1.25

Not a problem. I realized after, lord knows how many revisions of this thread, that we should really just make a list of ones that do and don't and put it in the FAQ. It always turned into a 2-3 page debate. You always pay tax, you don't always pay tax. Well I do, well I don't. We are slowly getting states down. I try to use the conversations in this thread to determine what else might be needed in the first post as general knowledge. I've been debating adding a couple other items but haven't seen their full necessity yet.

[quote name='Aesprinto']
:360: Assassin's Creed 2 10.00 (harsh!)
[/QUOTE]

Whoa. Is that the biggest meteoric drop in one week ever? i ordered mine online for 26 bucks, but maybe I'll just return it and wait for a bigger drop.

*Evil Laugh*

Accidentally scammed my local Gamestop after an argument

I traded in....
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 (360) for 11
Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast for (360) for 15
Phantasy Star Universe (360) for 5.50
and Lord of the Rings Conquest (360) for 5

The failure of the guy at the register kept telling me that the system was telling him the 10 dollar trade in deal would give me more than the 25 dollar for 4 deal (No idea, i was laughing right in his face when he said that). Finally when the manager came (Thank god i knew her), she overrided the deal, and not only did i end up getting the 4 for 25 deal, i also ended up getting the 2 for 10 deal. So i ended up with an extra 10 dollars in TIV :D.

Today (2/03/10) I took in some Xbox 360 games, here are the values:

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince 3.00
Leisure Suit Larry 1.75
Wet 6.25
Tiger Woods 2010 15.00
X-Men Origins: Wolverine 7.75
Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader 5.75
WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2009 5.75

Thanks for this awesome thread everyone. Thought I'd chip in. :)

[quote name='dgwillia006']*Evil Laugh*

Accidentally scammed my local Gamestop after an argument

I traded in....
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 (360) for 11
Dragon Ball Z Raging Blast for (360) for 15
Phantasy Star Universe (360) for 5.50
and Lord of the Rings Conquest (360) for 5

The failure of the guy at the register kept telling me that the system was telling him the 10 dollar trade in deal would give me more than the 25 dollar for 4 deal (No idea, i was laughing right in his face when he said that). Finally when the manager came (Thank god i knew her), she overrided the deal, and not only did i end up getting the 4 for 25 deal, i also ended up getting the 2 for 10 deal. So i ended up with an extra 10 dollars in TIV :D.[/QUOTE]

Well you got even luckier than you think because you weren't eligible for the 4/$25 deal. The offending item has been highlighted. Has to have a value of MORE than $5.

today's TIV
viva pinata: trouble 5.75
infinite undiscovery 5.75
ps3
gran turismo prologue 9.50
far cry 2 6.25
wii
mario super sluggers 15.00
house of the dead 2&3 8.25
carnival games 6.75

jp thanks again, just a heads up about my las trade in.....I got 11 TIV for mario sonic olympics, not winter olympics

Ah okay, Sorry. I've been having trouble of people not adding in the winter on the olympics. I mean, there was no way the original was getting a large number right after the release of Winter. I'm working on updating the list and database right now. Star Trek Online has been taking some of my time however.

[quote name='shiftomnimega']Whoa. Is that the biggest meteoric drop in one week ever? i ordered mine online for 26 bucks, but maybe I'll just return it and wait for a bigger drop.[/QUOTE]

GS and Amazon are both selling it for 39.99 at the moment. A lot of places still have it for $60, but the low TIV suggests this may be the new status quo, at least for Gamestop. Maybe they're trying to capitalize on the release of the new DLC to drum up sales... whatever the reason, I got about $15 less than I expected!

Anyway, looks like this pricing just went into effect recently, so I wouldn't expect any more price drops for a while yet. Still, ACII is definitely worth $26.

Regarding Assassin's Creed 2. I was able to sell my PS3 copy on Ebay today for $38.55 plus $3 for shipping.

I meant to stop by GS today at lunch, but didnt get to leave work today. Will do tomorrow to see what the updated TIV is and see how it compares to the 360 TIV you all are reporting. Since the database for PS3 still shows $25.

[quote name='icedrake523']I have a GS question and figured this would be a good place to ask.

If you buy something full with credit, do you pay have to pay tax (I'm in NJ btw)?

I ask b/c I'm considering this 7/$50 promo. If I trade in the 7 games I don't want, I'd get $97. I could get $58 of Amazon credit through Gazelle. While the difference is $39, take into account Amazon takes off $3-5 from MSRP, sometimes offers the $10 credit, the difference, and I buy from them far more often, it may be better to go that route.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']According to the information provided in this thread, New Jersey is listed as a no tax when using credit.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this.

TIV 2/3

Wii Fit Plus - $6.00
NPC! Pikmin - $6.25
Ghost Squad - $5.25
Burnout Paradise (360) - $6.75
The Simpsons Game (360) - $7.00
Scene It: Bright Lights Big Screen (360) - $7.00
Bully: Scholarship Edition (360) - $8.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Guitar controllers, any system - $0

Gamestop no longer accepts ANY guitar controller for trade-in, whether it's used or new, wired or wireless. Not sure if it's just my area, but 5 Gamestop's have told me the company has stopped accepting trade-in's on these.

If it's nationwide, might be a good idea to add it to the values, that they are untradeable?

[quote name='jp0213']What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: California, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Maryland
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Colorado, Wisconsin, Oregon, Kansas, Texas, Virginia, Missouri, Illinois[/QUOTE]

You can add Oklahoma to the "Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases" list.

I bought Spiderman: Web of Shadows and did not have to pay tax.

[quote name='Cindaddy']2/3 - Halo Wars - $4.40.

It was $7 two days ago.[/QUOTE]

Is that with edge? because 4.40 is a odd trade in value. but makes sense if it was just 4 and came out to 4.40 with the 10% edge.

[quote name='Denbo32']Is that with edge? because 4.40 is a odd trade in value. but makes sense if it was just 4 and came out to 4.40 with the 10% edge.[/QUOTE]

Good catch. I had just got back and baby was crying. Just wanted to give a quick update and screwed up. $4.00 value. $.40 additional was EDGE.

[quote name='animalspinners']Guitar controllers, any system - $0

Gamestop no longer accepts ANY guitar controller for trade-in, whether it's used or new, wired or wireless. Not sure if it's just my area, but 5 Gamestop's have told me the company has stopped accepting trade-in's on these.

If it's nationwide, might be a good idea to add it to the values, that they are untradeable?[/QUOTE]
I have put a note next to all of the guitar values about not taking the guitars, but I want to wait until I get further confirmation. Updated lists and database.

I'm glad I just caught the note about the trade 7 deal requiring values of $5 or more. That kills the deal for me.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Oklahoma
Wait, what? News to me. I have always had to pay sales tax on credit purchases in Oklahoma.

I'm just going by information posted in the thread. A post about 8 up from yours said Oklahoma does not charge. Were all your credit purchases paid in full with credit or just partially?

KS does not charge tax on credit purchases. I have been charged tax in AR for credit purchases. All of my purchases are 100% credit. If I spent real money at a gamestop, I would just feel dirty...

[quote name='jp0213']I'm just going by information posted in the thread. A post about 8 up from yours said Oklahoma does not charge. Were all your credit purchases paid in full with credit or just partially?[/QUOTE]Purchases were paid in full with credit, sales tax was charged. Only time I've never been charged sales tax is when buying gift cards.

Also, we do not get sales tax back in addition to TIVs.

Having said that...it's been about a month since I bought anything at GS, so maybe things have changed in the last month...

It might also depend on which area of OK. I'm NE. HydroX, where (generally) in OK are you located? Different city sales tax laws, maybe?

Updates from today. All 360

Darksiders - $24
Guitar Hero Metallica - $11
Guitar Hero Smash Hits - $9.50
Halo 3 - $6
Infinite Undiscovery - $5.75
Left 4 Dead 2 - $17
Lost Odyssey - $8.75
Mass Effect 2 - $35 (even tho on the wall behind the counter it said $25)
Midnight Club LA - $7.50

I used ME3 & Darksiders on preorders of FF13 & Bioshock to get the bonus 35% rather than the $7.14 that the 7/50 deal would give me. I just realized Darksiders would've gotten me an extra buck or so but then I would've missed out on the bonus for one of the other 7 games.

Some trades today, mostly drops
:360:
Beautiful Katamari- 9.25
Eternal Sonata- 7.50
Mass Effect- 6.50
Sonic's Genesis Collection- 8
:ps3:
Midnight Club LA- 7.50
Mirror's Edge- 6.75
Blazblue- 8 ---> freakin 5 dollar drop

360-
Bayonetta-24
Lost Odyssey- 8.75

Wii-
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles-15
Muramasa-8

All base TIV

:gc:
Soul Calibur II - 2.50
The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition - 10.00
(no i did not trade it just wanted to know the value)

All base values as of today 2/4/10

trade ins in the San Diego area

360:
Saints Row 2- $5 (not eligible)
Infinite Undiscovery- $5.75
COD: World at War- $5.25

PS2:
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando- $1.50
" ": Up Your Arsenal- $1.75
Jak 3- $3.00
Devil May Cry- $0.75
GOW 2- $4.50
Soul Calibur 3- $2.50

I didnt trade in the ps2 games yet because that extra 30% coupon doesnt work until tomorrow.

Base TIV as of 2/4/10

All PS3
Fallout 3 - $5.75
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - $8.00
Dead Space - $6.00
Assassin's Creed - $8.25
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - $9.50
Resistance 2 - $6.25
Bioshock - $6.75

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done