GS Trade-in Values: Old Thread, Check First/Last Post for new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
THIS THREAD LOCKED, NEW ONE HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6952150

[quote name='CheapyD']Also, the CAG Trade-In Value Tracker is now live and accessible from the main navigation.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

Current Promos:
GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

50% Bonus On All Games Traded (3/17/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games and receive an extra 50% trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Offer good towards games normally accepted in trade only. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 3/14/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III (4/4/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Save $40 on Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III when trade 2 select Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games.

Click Here for details.

Offer valid toward a new copy of Final Fantasy XIII or God of War III only. Final Fantasy XIII releases 3/11/10, God of War III releases 3/16/10. Release date subject to change. Customer may be responsible for sales tax on full retail price in some states. Price shown is net after trades. God of War III's and Final Fantasy XIII's regular retail price is $59.99. Net retail will differ for special editions. Offer and qualifying titles for trade subject to change without notice. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. No rainchecks.Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Offer valid 02/22/10 - 04/04/10..[/QUOTE]

Power Trades 25% (3/14/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any games towards the pre-order or purchase of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell: Conviction: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption or Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver and receive an extra 25% Trade-in Credit!

Expires: 3/14/2010. Full trade value amount must be applied toward pre-order/purchase of a new copy of God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII, Splinter Cell Conviction, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, Pokemon Heart Gold or Pokemon Soul Silver. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer valid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only..[/QUOTE]

Nintendo DSi XL Promo (Unsure End Date)
[quote name='vze21gwa']Gamestop is having a trade up offer for the Nintendo DSi XL, where you can get one for $99.99 if you trade in your DSi or $129.99 if you trade in your ds lite. Just thought to let you know cause it's not posted.
[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID(thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arkansas, California, Florida, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases:Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='barom']I traded in MW2 (PS3) and got 25$ (37.5$ after 50% bonus) and Tekken 6 (360) at $16 (24$ after 50% bonus).

They wanted my right thumb fingerprint... wtshaqfu? weird stuff... Gamestop just gets more and more annoying everyday.[/QUOTE]

that's because of your states laws on pawn shops/trade in places.

[quote name='bobewreckem69']okay so i just called my gamestop asked if i could trade my 360 and get the $30 promo and put it towards a dsi xl , he said no =/ only on systems they currently have in stock , could i like buy a regular dsi and return it for full price and not get deducted the $30???or how would i go about ripping off these a holes?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps put it toward a DSi purchase, don't open it, and then return it for an XL in a month?

[quote name='Dendaman']Perhaps put it toward a DSi purchase, don't open it, and then return it for an XL in a month?[/QUOTE]

you think that will work?sorry if i sound dumb

[quote name='Dendaman']It's not really a decision we can make for you; it all depends on how much (if at all) you'll miss the system after it's gone. If you won't, probably best to trade it in now, as the TIV will continue to decline as time passes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, It's just sitting in my living room and there's no game that really exciting right now. I'm trying to sell at craigslist and no one seems to be interested on my system.:cry: Thanks anyway on your opinion, I'll trade it in tomorrow for wii;)

[quote name='bobewreckem69']you think that will work?sorry if i sound dumb[/QUOTE]

I don't see why not. You'll fall just within the 30 day return window if you get it the day it launches.

To all of the people with MASSIVE amounts of credit, would you guys consider selling some of it to other people? I could use some good credit, but I don't want to pay dollar for dollar. PM me if you're interested!!!

[quote name='bobewreckem69']okay so i just called my gamestop asked if i could trade my 360 and get the $30 promo and put it towards a dsi xl , he said no =/ only on systems they currently have in stock , could i like buy a regular dsi and return it for full price and not get deducted the $30???or how would i go about ripping off these a holes?[/QUOTE]

They actually can do it. Had you not referred to them as assholes and that you wanted to rip them off, I could of very easily told you how to go about getting them to do it. Would have been quick and easy. But....you'll have to figure it out on your own.

[quote name='flagg1216']They actually can do it. Had you not referred to them as assholes and that you wanted to rip them off, I could of very easily told you how to go about getting them to do it. Would have been quick and easy. But....you'll have to figure it out on your own.[/QUOTE]

hehehe.

FYI, it might be a good time to trade in The Force Unleashed toward a copy of The Ultimate Sith Edition Used, if you planned on getting the DLC. It saves you some money.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']I'm surprised L4D2 is still keeping its $29.75 base.

Now I'm looking for cheap L4D2s for trade in. :)[/QUOTE]
Amazon has them for 34.99. That's where I got mine.

Just buy a regular dsi get a gift receipt and then return the dsi with the gift receipt get all the credit on a gift card.

Traded in a copy of L4D2 for $47.61 shortly after buying it off craigslist for $20. :D

Going to buy another copy off CL For $25 tomorrow so hopefully it'll at least hold the same through tomorrow.

This is how I'm paying for my SCC LE. :D

Can anybody check if X men origins wolverine : $20 and Beatles Rock Band :$20 are current? because both of these are around the $40 price range already.

Yes. I was told they charge a $.50 fee for printing a new label, but I have never been charged it when trading in disc/manual only games.(from CEs)

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']So i need some advice guys. I really dont have much interest in my 360 right now. I mean it was fun at first, but now, its my PS3 that seems REALLY fun. Most games that i find interest in are on PS3 as well as 360. I only have about 3 games right now, which by my calculations would net me about 89 alone with this promo applied. So along with the 107 i'd get, with hardrive and unit, along with my accessories, im looking at about 215+220 i have credit in, so i have about 435 in total credit if i go through, which could get me PLENTY of PS3 games. What do you guys think i should do...

On a side note im asking this here, not the advice forum because i know i can get more answers here. Thanks![/QUOTE]

well my advice in the nicest way possible is your a moron. yes 09 was weak for xbox 360 but how come you didn't trade in your ps3 when there exclusives have been awful unitl last year. as for this year it is a good year for both systems ps3 has gow3 360 has mass effect 2 halo reach. if you trade in your 360 you miss out on gears 3 in 2011 enough said

I know this is unrelated to a deal but I went into gamestop today to purchase a used copy of Demon's Souls and the box and the manual looked like shit when I found it on display so before purchasing I asked to see the disc and the employee goes "blu-rays are impossible to scratch." So I told him no, while they are very hard to scratch they can be scratched and judging by the condition of the case and manual I wanted to make sure so he told me that I don't need to see it because they will refund it if it doesn't work. I told him, no then I'm out of gas money because I couldn't see the disc beforehand and he continued to argue with me so just to get him to get the disc out I told him ok and as he was ringing it up I opened the case and looked at the disc, sure enough it was tore to shreds so I told him "blu rays never get scratched eh?" and he told me it it was just smudges and to clean it when I get home. At this point this asshole was just kind of starting to piss me off so I told him I wasn't going to pay only $5 less than a new copy for a game that looks like it was dragged behind a car.

Point of the story, even though I built up massive credit during this promo I now remember why I normally steer clear of gamestop. Once I burn this credit I'm done with them regardless of the trade in promos.

[quote name='nbalive2005']Can anybody check if X men origins wolverine : $20 and Beatles Rock Band :$20 are current? because both of these are around the $40 price range already.[/QUOTE]

thumbnail.aspx

CALL THEM and ask yourself!!

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I know this is unrelated to a deal but I went into gamestop today to purchase a used copy of Demon's Souls and the box and the manual looked like shit when I found it on display so before purchasing I asked to see the disc and the employee goes "blu-rays are impossible to scratch." So I told him no, while they are very hard to scratch they can be scratched and judging by the condition of the case and manual I wanted to make sure so he told me that I don't need to see it because they will refund it if it doesn't work. I told him, no then I'm out of gas money because I couldn't see the disc beforehand and he continued to argue with me so just to get him to get the disc out I told him ok and as he was ringing it up I opened the case and looked at the disc, sure enough it was tore to shreds so I told him "blu rays never get scratched eh?" and he told me it it was just smudges and to clean it when I get home. At this point this asshole was just kind of starting to piss me off so I told him I wasn't going to pay only $5 less than a new copy for a game that looks like it was dragged behind a car.

Point of the story, even though I built up massive credit during this promo I now remember why I normally steer clear of gamestop. Once I burn this credit I'm done with them regardless of the trade in promos.[/QUOTE]

You couldn't see the disc till AFTER buying it? What kinda shit is that? I gotta wonder what kinda dumb fuck owned that game before trading it in though to beat it all to hell like that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
thumbnail.aspx

CALL THEM and ask yourself!![/QUOTE]

But that would require effort. And we all know that the unofficial tagline of this thread is lazy ass gamer!

[quote name='dabamus']Yes. I was told they charge a $.50 fee for printing a new label, but I have never been charged it when trading in disc/manual only games.(from CEs)[/QUOTE]

Can you just used a beat up ps2 or xbox case and stick a game in it? I've seen blu ray cases with the game cover at a local gamestop recently.

At this point this asshole was just kind of starting to piss me off so I told him I wasn't going to pay only $5 less than a new copy for a game that looks like it was dragged behind a car.

Point of the story, even though I built up massive credit during this promo I now remember why I normally steer clear of gamestop. Once I burn this credit I'm done with them regardless of the trade in promos.

Don't let some register monkey dictate how you're going to spend your money, is the moral.

I always check the discs -- doesn't matter to me (and it's kind of satisfying, actually) if they want to whine or put up a fight. I'll be checking that disc, thanks.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']I'm surprised L4D2 is still keeping its $29.75 base.

Now I'm looking for cheap L4D2s for trade in. :)[/QUOTE]

I lucked into L4D2 at my local Blockbuster for 19.99. They also had 2 copies of MUA2 for 9.99 each. They also happen to do a B2G1 free deal all year round. So, for 30 bucks, I was able to flip them at Gamestop earlier this week and profit ~56 dollars.

[quote name='Trix']Can you just used a beat up ps2 or xbox case and stick a game in it? I've seen blu ray cases with the game cover at a local gamestop recently.[/QUOTE]
I guess. They may still charge you if it doesn't have the cover art.

[quote name='dabamus']But that would require effort. And we all know that the unofficial tagline of this thread is lazy ass gamer![/QUOTE]

:applause: That's every damn thread though nowadays it seems.

Traded in my psp collection on (2/28/2010) here are the base trade in values:

Games:
Brave Story: New Traveler - $2.00
Daxter - $0.75
Death Jr. - $1.25
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core - $4.75
Gangs of London - $1.25
Gradius Collection - $1.00
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories - $5.00
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - $5.50
Killzone Liberation - $3.50
Medal of Honor Heros - $3.50
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops -6.25
Monster Hunter Freedom - $1.75
Patapon - $2.50
Pursuit Force - $1.50
Resistance: Retribution - $7.00
Sega Genesis Collection - $4.50
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology - $3.50

UMD Movies:
Black Hawk Down - $1.50
Family Guy: Freakin' Sweet Collection - $0.50
Fifth Element, The - $1.50
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - $1.00
Pulp Fiction - $1.50
Serenity - $1.00
Sin City - $1.25

System:
PSP 2000 - $65

Accessories:
4GB Memory Stick Duo - 8.00

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I know this is unrelated to a deal but I went into gamestop today to purchase a used copy of Demon's Souls and the box and the manual looked like shit when I found it on display so before purchasing I asked to see the disc and the employee goes "blu-rays are impossible to scratch." So I told him no, while they are very hard to scratch they can be scratched and judging by the condition of the case and manual I wanted to make sure so he told me that I don't need to see it because they will refund it if it doesn't work. I told him, no then I'm out of gas money because I couldn't see the disc beforehand and he continued to argue with me so just to get him to get the disc out I told him ok and as he was ringing it up I opened the case and looked at the disc, sure enough it was tore to shreds so I told him "blu rays never get scratched eh?" and he told me it it was just smudges and to clean it when I get home. At this point this asshole was just kind of starting to piss me off so I told him I wasn't going to pay only $5 less than a new copy for a game that looks like it was dragged behind a car.

Point of the story, even though I built up massive credit during this promo I now remember why I normally steer clear of gamestop. Once I burn this credit I'm done with them regardless of the trade in promos.[/QUOTE]

You need to report that. Venting on here just gets us rilled up but wont change the sh*tty service that store.

[quote name='kaydigi']You need to report that. Venting on here just gets us rilled up but wont change the sh*tty service that store.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Just because some stores have shitty employees doesn't mean they all do.

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']$25 (+ $2.50 Edge Card) for Bioshock 2, especially in light of this 50% deal, is a fucking joke.[/QUOTE]
did you keep it?

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']$25 (+ $2.50 Edge Card) for Bioshock 2, especially in light of this 50% deal, is a fucking joke.[/QUOTE]

Or, they could put it at the normal $30-$35 range and have no 50% deal, resulting in less credit for trading in anything else. I'm sure it's that low due to the fact that they got raped with ME2.

I feel your pain brutha, but this could happen anywhere, you cant single out gamestop.. Hell i know its more like that at my local Gamecrazies than gamestops!

In a recent experience, i asked a gc employee to kindly show me the GBA Micro behind the counter (during the 9.99 old gen system sale). His response.... no lie.....
"phft... why you want a GBA Micro man?"

My response... "Gee I donno.. to play?? This is one of the reasons your whole company is going under pal. See ya"

Thanks for your valuable input to the thread. We all appreciate it.:roll:

god you people are so terribly ungrateful. with then deal you get 40 bucks back for it. so if you paid fullprice you pretty much get 70 percent back for the game that you played for about 3 weeks. cry me a river. be happy you got that much cause with out the deal you get shit back.

[quote name='heatdolphins45']Hmm, $95 for a PSP 2000 towards any system is pretty nice..now to choose between a $170 PSP or a $190 DSI XL.[/QUOTE]

why would you trade a slim for another slim? thats ridiculous.

also, you couldnt put it towards a DSI XL, since its not out yet

[quote name='Dendaman']Or, they could put it at the normal $30-$35 range and have no 50% deal, resulting in less credit for trading in anything else. I'm sure it's that low due to the fact that they got raped with ME2.[/QUOTE]
True, Bioware kinda ended up hurting the wrong people with that one. I mean, I'm sure that GameStop is feeling it too, but there are some people that rely on their trade ins to be able to get new merchandise.

I think the Cerberus Network is such a bad idea for that reason. If you don't want people to ever trade your game in, then make your game so awesome that the majority wouldn't think of doing so. Which brings me to my last point, that ME2 is so awesome with so much replay value (and the perk of being able to influence how ME3 will play out) that it just seems odd that they are showcasing this whole "You're gonna keep our game because we are going to make sure you get next to nothing for it" thing.

How so?

[quote name='Foxtrot0245']I think the Cerberus Network is such a bad idea for that reason. If you don't want people to ever trade your game in, then make your game so awesome that the majority wouldn't think of doing so.[/QUOTE]

That sounds pretty silly. No game, no matter how good, is going to be kept by everyone. ME2 has gotten rave reviews (96 on Metacritic). And I'm sure BioWare, and just about any developer worth it's salt, goes into a game's development saying, "We're going to develop the game everyone wants to buy and keep forever." That's an obviously unrealistic goal, though. Not every game is everyone's cup of tea. Not everyone is going to buy it, and not everyone who buys it is going to keep it. Even if you love a game, you might eventually get bored with it or see a good opportunity to make money off of it.

I know I have absolutely no problem with a company trying to make it far more enticing to buy a new copy of their game. Used sales do nothing for them. The money doesn't go into their pocket, and they aren't reflected in how many copies of their game gets sold.

How would they hurt people with the Cerberus Network? Bioware gets dick-50 for you buying a game used from a store, but they do get money from you buying a game new. To motivate people to buy new, they give you free DLC known as the Cerberus Network.

Also, the TiV for a game and the game's developer have absolutely nothing to do with the other.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']why would you trade a slim for another slim? thats ridiculous.

also, you couldnt put it towards a DSI XL, since its not out yet[/QUOTE]

actually you can absolutely put it toward a dsi xl.

EDIT- bioware doesn't get anything from the used sale but they get a shitload more new sales from people who trade in crap to get it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kurrptsenate']you could reserve it, but you wouldn't get the extra $30[/QUOTE]

yes you do if the employee is doing their job. your just wrong left and right tonight!!

[quote name='kurrptsenate']How would they hurt people with the Cerberus Network? Bioware gets dick-50 for you buying a game used from a store, but they do get money from you buying a game new. To motivate people to buy new, they give you free DLC known as the Cerberus Network.

Also, the TiV for a game and the game's developer have absolutely nothing to do with the other.[/QUOTE]
Ok, so if you walked into a GameStop, you would pay the regular "used" price for a game when you knew the code inside that gives you access to new DLC and the ability to download more DLC in the future was not in there?

Well, GS knows that the same percentage of people that buy a game at "$xx.xx" used price won't buy it at the same price without the missing content. So they have to lower the price they sell it at; thus, lowering the TIV that people who may need the credit for new merchandise can get.

QED

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back