GT5 Controller Concept

retroNutZ

CAGiversary!
So now that the game is out and the company I designed this for no longer exists, I thought it would be interesting to see what people think of this concept I created a couple of years ago.

This design was based all on my experience with the past GT games and never even went past this initial concept. The idea around the steering knob was that it would have force feedback built inside. The gauges are obviously a stretch and would have most likely been removed in the actual production phase. For the right shifter looking button, I figured this could be remapped for throttle, shifting, or even braking.

I haven't had a chance to play the new GT game but for those that have, what are your thought on this?

vice-gt.jpg

That looks cool, but I'm not sure how practical a flat 'wheel' would work with regards to precision. I've been using the HKS controller since I got GT5 and have been quite impressed;

My biggest complaint with the HKS is the LED display. It's not necessary. I'm looking at the TV, not my controller, when I'm racing. I would have preferred a bluetooth sensor/battery pack instead, or perhaps an adjuster to tighten/loosen the sensitivity of the wheel/pedals...

[quote name='camoor']Why would you buy that when you can get a steering wheel and pedal.[/QUOTE]

$40 sure as hell beats $150-300. Not to mention I live in a small apartment therefore space is limited.

[quote name='camoor']Why would you buy that when you can get a steering wheel and pedal.[/QUOTE]

Do you have an extra 130 bucks lying around I can have so I can buy one?

[quote name='SynGamer']That looks cool, but I'm not sure how practical a flat 'wheel' would work with regards to precision. I've been using the HKS controller since I got GT5 and have been quite impressed;

My biggest complaint with the HKS is the LED display. It's not necessary. I'm looking at the TV, not my controller, when I'm racing. I would have preferred a bluetooth sensor/battery pack instead, or perhaps an adjuster to tighten/loosen the sensitivity of the wheel/pedals...[/QUOTE]

Thats a cool looking controller, never seen it before. I like how they the trigger/pedal like buttons on the right side.

I like the design overall, I'd personally shrink and swap the dial and the left analog stick positions, possibly with some kind of throw adjustment on the left analog since third party sticks tend to be loose and the DS3 stick could be tightened up some more. The gauges don't really serve a purpose but I'd definitely take a bluetooth and rumble feature in their place. The sliding gas/brake looks like it'll work very nicely too, since my thumb sometimes slips off the gas a little, maybe a little silicone on it for grip stability.

bread's done
Back