Guild Wars $20 @ Amazon.com, Factions $20/Nightfall $25 @ ZipZoomfly w/free shipping.

whitereflection

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
I dunno how long it's been at this price, but it seems to be at least $30 everywhere else, so it's not a bad deal. If you're looking to getting into MMORPGs, why not start with one without monthly fees?

You'll need a $5 filler for free shipping, but I'm pretty sure this is the Game of the Year edition, as Amazon isn't likely to carry old stock.

http://www.amazon.com/NCsoft-FG-XP-...13?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1174102733&sr=8-1

ZipZoomfly also has Factions and Nightfall in-stock for $20 and $25 with free shipping (thanks to JGouldie!)

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=610756
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=610758

I've been watching the prices on the guild war series and I can say they are rarely this cheap. I've been looking for an excuse to pickup nightfall for awhile now, and $25 is a pretty good excuse.

As for the game type GW tends to focus much more on planning and strategy than leveling (like other rpgs). Your character will be maxed out fairly early in the game, and most of your focus will be on figuring out a playing style for your character. My favorite thing is you're only allowed to carry with you 8 skills (1 elite skill) and so many points to put into your stats. So balancing your group and understanding what you're going to be facing is vital to the game.

I don't actually own nightfall, but I've clocked countless hours on the other games
Nightfall is supposed to have a better pve campaign overall, but it's main addition is player-controlled heroes. While all missions allow you to bring npc henchmen, heroes can be customized with skills and equipment, and can be issued more specific commands. As most of the playerbase is incompetent, and henchmen, although better than most of the playerbase, have a limited degree of control, heroes can save a lot of frustration as you go through pve.
Nightfall skills seem to be used more often than factions skills in pvp, although that's probably just my observation

From my experience, I would avoid zipzoomfly...HORRIBLE customer service. They were actually one of the first online sites I tried to buy stuff from....I then went to newegg, and haven't looked back since.

Wow, nice prices on the games.
I can vouch for zipzoom, I have used it several times for PC parts without incident, though I have had to deal with customer service.

well i did buy nightfall today earlier from zipzoom cause like jrhwak said for 25 i couldn't pass it up hope i get it soon..i can't wait for 2 or the experison already

Buy Factions if you're into PvP, get Nightfall if you like PvE (Player v. Environment).

I have the original game and Nightfall and have been playing on and off for 2 years. It's a really fun game if you have at least one other person to play with. Some people might be turned off by the level 20 cap, but that's really what gives the game its charm.

WoW is about you get what you put into it. A one-armed monkey with a level 60 will almost always beat a level 40 gaming guru. Guild Wars allows you to try so many different skill builds so that you actually have to think when you fight. It's also a very beautiful game from an aesthetic standpoint.

Before I get flamed, I do play both WoW and GW on and off and enjoy them the same.

[quote name='dalaamprince']Buy Factions if you're into PvP, get Nightfall if you like PvE (Player v. Environment).

I have the original game and Nightfall and have been playing on and off for 2 years. It's a really fun game if you have at least one other person to play with. Some people might be turned off by the level 20 cap, but that's really what gives the game its charm.

WoW is about you get what you put into it. A one-armed monkey with a level 60 will almost always beat a level 40 gaming guru. Guild Wars allows you to try so many different skill builds so that you actually have to think when you fight. It's also a very beautiful game from an aesthetic standpoint.

Before I get flamed, I do play both WoW and GW on and off and enjoy them the same.[/quote]
See, I never understood that. Take my W/E for instance(hwo do u atak. And that's Ms. Atak to you all. :p). She was a BEAST, but mostly because she stole from the W/E shocker template. The problem is that to get any new skills to play with, you have to spend AGES grinding for the cash to do so. I wanted to make a good Necro... or ANYTHING else. But I couldn't. Because to gain SkillBux, you have to win at PvP matches. And to win at PvP matches, you can't experiment with a half-purchased build. Those skills took AGES to buy, so you couldn't "try them out." You had to know what you wanted in advance, and I just realized that, WoW or not, this still required the time committment of WoW to get down. Only instead the time spent grinding in WoW, you plot out your GW builds with research and a bit of prayer.

So do all characters start at level 20 for Factions and 40 for Nightfall? I'm not exactly clear how the characters are supposed to carry over from previous games.

The reason I love GW is also because of the 8-skill limit when you fight. In my opinion it makes for much more interesting battles. It's too bad my friends are all going to be playing LOTR:O instead.

Hey thanks CAG for the info! I picked up Factions for $20.00 at ZipZoomFly with free shipping! Can't beat that with a stick! I have had guild wars for awhile now great game! Can't wait to play Factions! Thanks Again To You All!! /Unjust:applause::bouncy:

[quote name='Skexis']So do all characters start at level 20 for Factions and 40 for Nightfall? I'm not exactly clear how the characters are supposed to carry over from previous games.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you're talking about starting a new character, you start at lvl 1 in each campaign, with a maximum level of 20. If you want to transfer characters between campaigns, your level doesn't change.

[quote name='whitereflection']I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you're talking about starting a new character, you start at lvl 1 in each campaign, with a maximum level of 20. If you want to transfer characters between campaigns, your level doesn't change.[/QUOTE]

So, then, when you transfer a Prophecies character to Factions, it's easy to breeze through the new sections of the game.

Or do quests change based on your level?

Each version has a tutorial area for when you start out. If you've transfered your character to a different version, you'll be starting out on the main island where the real campaign begins. None of the missions are a breeze as in you'll be able to finish them by yourself. This is a team-oriented game. Almost all missions consist of 8 man teams or more. Sure you'll be able to breeze through the tutorial areas of each campaign, but there's no point to because you will already have hit lvl 20 and the game's not really about soloing quests. It's about how you condition your character to be an asset to the team and that's where the fun is at.

While you play missions, you'll gain new skills to toy with. With so many different skills to acquire and maintain, you'll have such a powerful arsenal to mold and quickly change your character to fit many personal as well as team-playing styles.

[quote name='RollingSkull']See, I never understood that.[/quote]If all you care about is PvP, you can buy PvP Editions of all three campaigns. I don't agree with the price if you already own the full campaign (they want $40 for each), but it may make sense for someone who only plays PvP. Basically, you're paying to unlock all the skills for each campaign for use in PvP only. It's only available through the GW online store, I believe. Here's what you get:

Guild Wars PvP Editions
The Guild Wars PvP Editions give players instant access to all the PvP action that a campaign has to offer. Available through the online Official Guild Wars store, the PvP editions allow you to create PvP characters from that campaign, and give you access to the full skill list for each profession.
* Jump right into the competitive side of Guild Wars! No other Guild Wars purchase necessary. Everything you need for PvP play is included.
* Immediately unlock the power and fury of all skills from Guild Wars Prophecies or Guild Wars Factions. No adventuring through the game to unlock the skills!
* Create and play PvP-Only characters from the campaign you choose, with full access to all their skills—even elite skills! (Access to Roleplaying characters requires purchase of the Prophecies or Factions campaign.)
* Even if you already own Prophecies or Factions, you can add the PvP Edition to unlock that campaign's skills onto your account for PvP play.

Guild Wars Nightfall PvP Edition
Create a PvP character with either of the two Nightfall-specific professions:
* Dervish
* Paragon
Create a PvP character with any of the six core professions:
* Elementalist
* Mesmer
* Monk
* Necromancer
* Ranger
* Warrior
Acquire instant access to every skill for all eight professions:
350 Nightfall skills
110 Elite Nightfall Skills
241 Core Profession Skills
591 Total Skills

Guild Wars Factions PvP Edition:
Create a PvP character with any of the two Factions-specific professions:
* Assassin
* Ritualist
Create a PvP character with any of the six core professions:
* Elementalist
* Mesmer
* Monk
* Necromancer
* Ranger
* Warrior
Acquire instant access to all skills for the eight professions:
240 Factions skills
90 Elite Factions Skills
240 Core Profession Skills
570 Total Skills

Guild Wars Prophecies PvP Edition:
Create a PvP character with any of the six professions:
* Elementalist
* Mesmer
* Monk
* Necromancer
* Ranger
* Warrior
Acquire instant access to all skills for the six professions:
394 Prophecies Skills
60 Elite Prophecies Skills
454 Total Skills
From my point of view as a PvE player, if I wanted to get into PvP, I've already unlocked tons of skills just playing through the PvE portion of the game. It never felt like grind because I was having fun. I'm more a cooperative than competitive player, though, so I've never ventured into PvP territory, except for some Fort Aspenwood...but I kinda consider that PvP-lite.

[quote name='strdr4']If you've transfered your character to a different version, you'll be starting out on the main island where the real campaign begins. None of the missions are a breeze as in you'll be able to finish them by yourself. This is a team-oriented game.[/quote] QFT. It's by no means easy for transfered characters. First time I tried transfering my characters, I thought the same thing, they're level 20, no sweat. So I decided to cross-over solo. And while I had a good solo build...lets just say it didn't work out. I quickly decided to start over with a full party.

[quote name='eugaet']If all you care about is PvP, you can buy PvP Editions of all three campaigns. I don't agree with the price if you already own the full campaign (they want $40 for each), but it may make sense for someone who only plays PvP. Basically, you're paying to unlock all the skills for each campaign for use in PvP only. [/quote]
No way. The PvE campaign is where all the sexy art design is. I don't see how you can NOT adventure through... say, pre-searing Ascalon and not at least be speechless at SOME point. The wizards tower up in the ice area being a big one. Everything in the game's art design puts EVERY other fantasy game to shame, creativity-wise, and to buy GW without that is to not buy GW at all.

I had no fun with PvE though. It was a Diablo clickfest, and I don't like Diablo. You don't get enough skills to play around with at a decent rate...

[quote name='cmello4life']thanks very much has anyone ever used this company before never heard of them[/QUOTE]

I ordered Factions from them about 2 weeks ago when I first saw it. I received it very quickly, considering it had to travel cross-country. I ordered Nightfall on Tuesday (w/ 2-day shipping), and got it Thursday afternoon. Some guys at work even ordered memory from them, and we have had no problems with shipping. Like anyone else, errors will occur, but in my recent experience, ZZF is reliable.

[quote name='RollingSkull']No way. The PvE campaign is where all the sexy art design is. I don't see how you can NOT adventure through... say, pre-searing Ascalon and not at least be speechless at SOME point. The wizards tower up in the ice area being a big one. Everything in the game's art design puts EVERY other fantasy game to shame, creativity-wise, and to buy GW without that is to not buy GW at all.[/quote]QF-absolute-T. ;)[quote name='RollingSkull'] I had no fun with PvE though. It was a Diablo clickfest, and I don't like Diablo. You don't get enough skills to play around with at a decent rate...[/quote]I never had a problem with skill acquisition or just having fun and adapting with only the skills I had. Guess I saw it as a challenge...I have so many skills now, though, the challenge is in picking only 8 to take into the field. I'd probably view things differently if I was more into PvP.

[quote name='dalaamprince']Buy Factions if you're into PvP, get Nightfall if you like PvE (Player v. Environment). [/QUOTE]
So Factions isn't very good for PvE?

[quote name='whoknows']So Factions isn't very good for PvE?[/quote] I enjoy PvE pretty much equally in all three campaigns. I actually like the whole PvE storyline and gameplay in Factions a lot.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Anet just annouced a new expansion "Eye of the North" and Guild Wars 2 Beta which is coming out next year in '08.[/quote] Yep, here's a link to the press release for those who missed it earlier.
[quote name='eugaet']As an aside, they've just released info on GW Eye of the North, a true expansion for GW, and GW2, which should go into open beta in the second half of 2008. You can read the press release here.[/quote] Eye of the North should hit for the end-of-year holidays.

[quote name='eugaet']If all you care about is PvP, you can buy PvP Editions of all three campaigns.[/QUOTE]
Do the PvP editions allow access to alliance battles or heroes/hero battles? From my understanding, they only unlock skills, in which case they would be lacking a lot of value to many players.

As for the reliability of ZipZoomFly, I've ordered Flash memory from them in the past and had no problems.

I just ordered Factions, since I've been playing Prophecies and Nightfall pretty regularly lately. I'd highly recommend the series, especially to people who have friends to play and form a guild with.

[quote name='rohlfinator']Do the PvP editions allow access to alliance battles or heroes/hero battles? From my understanding, they only unlock skills, in which case they would be lacking a lot of value to many players.[/quote] According to GuildWiki.org, the PvP Editions allow "access to all arenas where PvP action takes place as well as access to the Battle Isles". I can't find anything official, though.

I'd assume the PvP Edition would give you access to everything you have access to with a PvP character in 'standard' GW. I've never created a PvP character, though, so I don't know what access that entails.

Im not quite sure why people say you have to party with other people to suceed, I have factions and IMO its harder and takes longer to party with actual people, instead I pretty much hench every mission, except some of the more major ones. Its definitely funner with real people and you get better healing but if you dont feel like it you never have to. One thing is for sure though, I used to play wow and it sometimes felt like a chore to play just because I felt like I had to to get somewhere or a higher level. Whatever. In this game its pure gameplay, no grinding, no rep grinding. No class imbalance and the pvp is alot of fun too. Definitely a game you can jump right into and not feel obligated to play long hours. In fact it give you funny little reminders when you play IE: You have played 2 hours. dont forget to take a break! I recommend it to everyone.

bread's done
Back