Guild Wars: Eye of North $5.99 Newegg

What do you all think about Guild Wars in general? I've never been into MMOs for the most part (tired WoW and Eve, although Eve was cooler because of the space travel but WoW was more fun. Still didn't really liked either).

I haven't tried the GW trial but I'm not sure it's even worth it.

Guild Wars is fun, but very limited compared to most MMOs (imo). I have only played up to the first expansion, but I was able to get my character to the top tier of gear within a few months of play. Can't say the same for games like WoW, LotR, Champions, etc...

I loved the PvP random arena aspect when I played years ago. You can jump in as a level 20 character with all the best gear, you have a bunch of skills, and you build a character from them. Find what works, find what doesn't, and refine your character. Make a brutal PvP monster, and then start refining another concept! (And occasionally take your PvP monster out for a spin.)

I think you can buy just the PvP content for all the games for like $10.

I used to play this back on release and quit before 1st expansion came out. I quit because I liked PvE but once that is over it's just a PvP game and I don't find that fun. Since this "MMO" has no monthly fee I could jump back in with any of the expansions, has the PvE evolved any over the years so that the game is fun again? And not just a grind to get best rare armor sets, rare skills, or PvP nonstop

I ask because Guild Wars 2 looks very disappointing, don't think I'll be getting that one

Edit: For those new to Guild Wars, you can hit level 20 (max) in a few days or weeks. This game isn't about leveling, it's about choosing your skills wisely (can only pick 8 of your skills at a time) and teaming up

[quote name='Darknuke']Guild Wars is fun, but very limited compared to most MMOs (imo). I have only played up to the first expansion, but I was able to get my character to the top tier of gear within a few months of play. Can't say the same for games like WoW, LotR, Champions, etc...[/QUOTE]

I got my character in wow from 1-80 and all T9 before my free month ended. I dunno about LOTR or Champions online but WoW does not take longer to gear out than GW, if anything it is much shorter.

[quote name='fastitocalon']I got my character in wow from 1-80 and all T9 before my free month ended. I dunno about LOTR or Champions online but WoW does not take longer to gear out than GW, if anything it is much shorter.[/QUOTE]

You must play ALOT.

Each expansion added quite a bit of new features to the game. I don't recall exactly what was released when, but if you've only played the original then you're missing out on the hero aspects. You're able to utilize 3 heroes who are special characters you get through the campaign who you can customize to whatever class you want to supplement your own. This is on top of the basic henchmen that are also available. The reason heroes are better is that you can customize their gear for more specific abilities, you can customize their ability set based upon the abilities you've found and they can dual class just like your own hero (they all have a base class that cannot be changed). On top of that, while in a mission you can give them some basic commands for each of them, such as move here, attack this, stay here,etc.

A few of the expansions also added stronger PvE skills that focus on the enemy types specific to the campaign. Some of the skills can be "leveled" up by ranking up some sort of faction.

They also implemented a larger stash with more tabs.

Also most people end up getting the trilogy with GW:EN since the trilogy comes with guildwars, factions expansion, and nightfall expansion.

[quote name='fastitocalon']I got my character in wow from 1-80 and all T9 before my free month ended. I dunno about LOTR or Champions online but WoW does not take longer to gear out than GW, if anything it is much shorter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah seriously you must play a LOTTTT... I'm talking about someone who plays only semi-hardcore... Christ dude. T9 in one month. I almost don't believe you... There's no way you did that with a fresh account. You either had an alt to twink your char, a lot of help from friends, dual-screened it, or botted it.

[quote name='Darknuke']Yeah seriously you must play a LOTTTT... I'm talking about someone who plays only semi-hardcore... Christ dude. T9 in one month. I almost don't believe you... There's no way you did that with a fresh account. You either had an alt to twink your char, a lot of help from friends, dual-screened it, or botted it.[/QUOTE]

Practically impossible without experience boosts, or having your friends run constant dungeons for you. Regardless, Full T9 would likely have taken a month especially with the daily-cap on tokens...Or whatever those damn things were that Blizzard used to keep you addicted until the next day.

Anyways, back to subject. $5 for Guild War's last expansion...Great price.

I want all the chapters and the expansion, AND all the bonus items (imp, mox, etc.). Is the best way to get it:

1. Purchase Trilogy
2. Purchase expansion

?

This seems like a good price for the expansion so I can grab this and look for a good trilogy deal.

Thanks OP I used to really like the game, never finished factions or nightfall (got them both late and could never find groups)

Heroes are good, but I played mainly as a healer, so it was too hard to keep everyone up and control who they fight. But... for 6 bucks I am in, now I will have access to all the skills, so my outdated builds can finally get updated.

If anyone wants to play pm me (would be up for any campaign really, except maybe prophecies I have multiple playthroughs of that one.)

[quote name='ZimbuTheMonkey']I want all the chapters and the expansion, AND all the bonus items (imp, mox, etc.). Is the best way to get it:

1. Purchase Trilogy
2. Purchase expansion

?

This seems like a good price for the expansion so I can grab this and look for a good trilogy deal.[/QUOTE]

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guil..._Wars_Collector.27s_Edition_.28box_content.29

details all the different boxes and what's in them.

Just to note, mox can be recruited normally if you have the three campaigns (prophecies, factions, nightfalls)
The fire imp summons is only usable under level 20, but since you spend the majority of the time at level 20 esp if you don't play the first campaign...

Bought this from Newegg for my wife this June and it added fine to her Trilogy Steam version. I don't think it was $6 at the time, but it wasn't more than $7.99, so its been pretty cheap with free ship on Newegg for quite some time now. Steam's prices for Guild Wars stuff sucks big time, glad I got the Trilogy for cheap during their 50 percent off sale last April/May.

When your wife says she NEEDS a game (meaning RIGHT NOW), especially to play with a friend, consider yourself lucky getting any sort of deal on it at all. Yes, this poor bastard paid nearly full retail for SPORE about a week after release.

Good find OP.

Guild Wars is awesome, it's got depth of strategy and is great to play with friends, and there's no subscription fees!

Even after you get tired of all the item hunting, the PvP is really nicely designed, and even if you can't or don't want to be bothered with joining a guild for large scale PvP, you can still play small scaled PvP that are more casual.

I LOVED Guild Wars back in the day, and never even delved into PvP. I do wonder though if anyone still plays the game? Trading things and doing transactions with other players was 30% of the fun!

The fact that there is virtually no gear grind in this game is one of the things i loved about it. Everyone's gear is essentially equal, the only thing rarity offers is skins.

And yes, there are still lots of people playing. Especially since they released the Hall of Monument calculator which shows your GW2 account will get based on your GW achievements.

I purchased the Guild Wars Complete Collection from mymemory.co.uk for about 30$ CAD.

I didn't have any of the GW chapters and that was the best way to get everything.

bread's done
Back