Guitar Hero 2 @ BB!!!

UNTwolverine

CAGiversary!
I am not sure if was just my Best Buy here in Humble, Tx, but they had an entire display a week early of tons of Guitar Hero 2. I picked up a bundle (game and guitar) this evening for $79.99, and it is awesome. Hopefully this is happening everywhere and not just here. Let me know, I'm curious. The employees at BB were as shocked as I was.

I had my copy w/guitar in hand at Cicuit City. It wouldnt let them complete the transaction and then they realized the street date was 11/7. Oh well for me.

Check your TRUs. I just went up to the one I work at to pick up some stuff and the manager put the GH2 Bundle out for sale... apparently thursday night, right after I left. He obviously doesn't care about street dates when it's something he wants to buy himself, which he did on thursday.

I just called my BB and they've got them out. I wish I saw this earlier, I could've been rocking out all weekend long. Good news - my last day at my old job was saturday and half of my school days this week are half days. Looks like I'll be parked in my room for quite some time!

Has anyone in the Orlando area found it out early yet? I know it's only 2 days away, but if I could get it one day earlier, I'd be a very happy rocker.

Just called my BB and the guy who answered said "Uh...we haven't gotten them in yet." I don't understand why most people in retail are so stupid. I asked him a very simple question, one he could have easily just answered "No, I'm sorry, we're not yet." My question was (verbatim): "Hi, I was just wondering if you guys were selling Guitar Hero II yet?" Considering that several other retailers are selling the game already, I find it highly unlikely that my BB wouldn't even have them in the back. Why must people lie to me? *sigh* Godspeed Tuesday.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Just called my BB and the guy who answered said "Uh...we haven't gotten them in yet." I don't understand why most people in retail are so stupid. I asked him a very simple question, one he could have easily just answered "No, I'm sorry, we're not yet." My question was (verbatim): "Hi, I was just wondering if you guys were selling Guitar Hero II yet?" Considering that several other retailers are selling the game already, I find it highly unlikely that my BB wouldn't even have them in the back. Why must people lie to me? *sigh* Godspeed Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

uhh he may not have been lying. i've gone to my local best buy every day for the past 3 days, and i had them check the computer every time, and no best buys in the area had any in their inventory yet.

[quote name='Jimbo504']uhh he may not have been lying. i've gone to my local best buy every day for the past 3 days, and i had them check the computer every time, and no best buys in the area had any in their inventory yet.[/quote]

But would it show up in their inventory if it wasn't available for sale? If so, how is that even possible? I don't get how a major retailer like BB could be so disorganized. I mean for some stores to have been selling it for almost a week now, and other to not even have it in stock ready to go on the floor on Tuesday? Crazy. Only in America! lol

[quote name='Mr.FoodMonster']I just called my BB and they've got them out. I wish I saw this earlier, I could've been rocking out all weekend long. Good news - my last day at my old job was saturday and half of my school days this week are half days. Looks like I'll be parked in my room for quite some time![/QUOTE]
Alright, I'm going to clearify my exact conversation over the phone..
"Hi, I was wondering if you have Guitar Hero 2?"
"What?"
"Go you have Guitar Hero 2?"
"Um... yeah"
"You have it just sitting out?"
"..... yes."
"OK, thanks"

So, I get there, and what do I find? NO GUITAR HERO! YAY! I see 3 people gathered around the 10 song demo, and then I find the guy (who I would imagine was on the phone) and I asked him. He said they've got a lot of them in back (a "Big open box full of them in back"), but he has to check the computer to see if it's out yet so he dosn't get in trouble. I tell him not to bother because I know it's not out yet, but that other Best Buy stores have already sold it, and he told me sorry, to wait until when it comes out (I actually had to tell him what day it came out)

What a good waste of 30 minutes and a gallon of gas!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']But would it show up in their inventory if it wasn't available for sale? If so, how is that even possible? I don't get how a major retailer like BB could be so disorganized. I mean for some stores to have been selling it for almost a week now, and other to not even have it in stock ready to go on the floor on Tuesday? Crazy. Only in America! lol[/QUOTE]

Just because Walmart gets them in at the warehouse and immediately ships the games to their stores doesn't mean that every other retailer does the same thing. They want to keep true to the street dated movies, games, etc because their is a hefty fine for breaking street date.

Target could get them in and let them sit in their main warehouse for a week before they ship them directly to the store. Sometimes they come directly from the vendor or distributor *Ditan*. In which case, they don't get stuff early, they get it on release date via UPS or FEDEX or DHL.

And how is not selling a street dated title before the street date unorganized? If anything they are properly doing their job to insure what the developers and publishers expect. All Best Buys will have GH2 in stock on the 7th.

Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='Hellacious']Just because Walmart gets them in at the warehouse and immediately ships the games to their stores doesn't mean that every other retailer does the same thing. They want to keep true to the street dated movies, games, etc because their is a hefty fine for breaking street date.

Target could get them in and let them sit in their main warehouse for a week before they ship them directly to the store. Sometimes they come directly from the vendor or distributor *Ditan*. In which case, they don't get stuff early, they get it on release date via UPS or FEDEX or DHL.

And how is not selling a street dated title before the street date unorganized? If anything they are properly doing their job to insure what the developers and publishers expect. All Best Buys will have GH2 in stock on the 7th.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Well, it wouldn't be disorganized if all BB's were holding firm on the "street date". Anyone paying the slightest modicum of attention to these boards as of late would have noticed that a few people have purchased the game already from certain BB's throughout the country. Thank you for playing, but you missed my point completely. It just seems unusual that SOME BB's are already selling the game, while others don't even have it yet? How does that happen? (I realize Wal-Mart, FYE, and other retailers have put the game on their shelves early as well, but I was speaking mainly in terms of Best Buy.)

Judging by your apparent sensitivity to the subject though, it sounds like you work at a Best Buy. I meant no offense toward the store. I was merely surprised at how ignorant some employees can be (not that that's a characteristic exclusive to Best Buy...as I've witnessed many times).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, it wouldn't be disorganized if all BB's were holding firm on the "street date". Anyone paying the slightest modicum of attention to these boards as of late would have noticed that a few people have purchased the game already from certain BB's throughout the country. Thank you for playing, but you missed my point completely. It just seems unusual that SOME BB's are already selling the game, while others don't even have it yet? How does that happen? (I realize Wal-Mart, FYE, and other retailers have put the game on their shelves early as well, but I was speaking mainly in terms of Best Buy.)
[/quote]

As I'm sure many people have noticed, not all BB's (or any other retailer, for that matter) employ as high quality employees as some other BB's. The games getting put out could have been as simple as an oversight, or just complete ignorance on either an employee's part or department manager. It's not like a single person comes from corporate and puts out merchandise at every store.

Like at my TRU, the Rzone manager has put out numerous street-dated titles, because she is a bloody moron who could care less. But the next TRU could have someone in charge of their games that actually cares and pays attention to details, such as street dates.

My point is, there is no reason to berade an entire company because the people employed at certain locations are clownshoes.

[quote name='sp00ge']Check your TRUs. I just went up to the one I work at to pick up some stuff and the manager put the GH2 Bundle out for sale... apparently thursday night, right after I left. He obviously doesn't care about street dates when it's something he wants to buy himself, which he did on thursday.[/QUOTE]

I wish the TRU I work at did that.

I got 102 copies of the GH 2 bundle delivered to me in R-Zone late last week, and I still can't get a copy until Tuesday :)

[quote name='Shagrath']Has anyone in the Orlando area found it out early yet? I know it's only 2 days away, but if I could get it one day earlier, I'd be a very happy rocker.[/QUOTE]
It was out last week at the Waterford Lakes location. Looked like there was already one box taken from the big display box ("shipper") when I looked at it. I didn't have my preorder receipt with me, and before I went home to get it, I asked one of my Media guys to double check to make sure it didn't have a hard street date. Of course it did. So it was returned to the warehouse.

They really need me back working games in Media. All the occasions they didn't put out new release games on time, and now they're putting out a game too early...

Cross-posting to a few forums, but:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but check out CircuitCity.com for in-store availability in your area. I went in today after checking and they still can't ring it up on their registers but if you guys use in-store pick-up you can bypass that and get your copy.

They hadn't unboxed the promo items for their ad yet, so I missed out on the beanie, but at least I've got the game!

[quote name='isaac']Cross-posting to a few forums, but:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but check out CircuitCity.com for in-store availability in your area. I went in today after checking and they still can't ring it up on their registers but if you guys use in-store pick-up you can bypass that and get your copy.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. The closest CC to me has it, but it won't let me do in-store pickup.

I know my closest CC had it Saturday and I checked store availability earlier and it showed that same store. Now it seems to be gone and says not available in stores. They must have taken it down.

Guitar Hero 2
icon_x_gy.gif

Not available for in-store pickup

If you just can't wait until tomorrow, I just picked up the Guitar Hero 2 bundle @ Gamerush (Blockbuster). The guy said the street date was tomorrow, but he was able to ring it through the system. He said the boxes were taking up too much space in the back and had about 5 of them out on the counter. Obviously YMMV. Good Luck!

I think you guys are forgetting the purpose of the street dates -- to iron out the randomness and unfairness in shipping. Depending on how the goods get to the US, distribution slowly spreads outwards. Probably most games come in by boat on the Western Seaboard and are shipped east by truck. Two day's difference might not seem that bad to you, but consider that some purchases may be made with ebaying and overnight shipping as an intent. Suddenly those closer to the distribution hub have an advantage to those on the other side of this large country.

However, I don't understand why street dates further out than a week after recieving the goods exist.

bread's done
Back