Guitar Hero a no-go on PS3

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Via Kotaku

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745329p1.html
We assumed that Guitar Hero and its sequel would work perfectly well on the PlayStation 3. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. When you pop in a PS2 or PSone game, you're prompted to tap the PlayStation button on the controller. For what reason, we're not sure, but as Guitar Hero's SG controller doesn't have this button, you can't actually activate it. You also can't quick-swap from one controller to another as the second part of the problem lies in that you need to turn on analog control, but again, the SG guitar doesn't have an on/off button for analog play.

I'm guessing this can be fixed via an update at some point.

problem is red octane are being real anal about 3rd party controllers, so they've written in all these features to stifle general compatibility.

If Konami had any sense, they would make a Guitar Freaks (in the US) for PS3 just to caputre the sales of people who just got a PS3 and can't play Guitar Hero. I'm surprised they haven't sued Red Octane yet since they went after the ITG.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']If Konami had any sense, they would make a Guitar Freaks (in the US) for PS3 just to caputre the sales of people who just got a PS3 and can't play Guitar Hero. I'm surprised they haven't sued Red Octane yet since they went after the ITG.[/quote]

Because Guitar Hero has 5 frets and a whammy? It's changed enough to not get them sued. Also, Harmonix is VERY aware of GuitarFreaks and they say it's too hard and GF only has THREE frets if you can believe that.

Also, Konami is already working on a guitar game called Guitar Revolution.

So... call me stupid, but why don't you just start the game with the PS3 controller and then switch after its up and running?

Or was it saying that analog mode has to be on on the controller the whole time?

Why are they 'blaming' Red Octane for not putting on a PS button on the guitar?

This issue occurs b/c the PS3 only has USB ports for its controllers. With no PS2 ports, you can't plug in an SG Controller or any PS1 or PS2 controller for that matter.

It looks like you could use one of the PS2->USB adapters that were previously used for PCs.

Sounds like the easy fix, is a PS3 compatible controller. It probably wouldn't be too hard to add a PS button, or toggle switch--then they would make more sales and the inevitable GH3 sequel would already have its controller. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

bread's done
Back