Guitar Hero II - General Disscusion - Indie Pack #2 - 3 Songs Up Now

[quote name='Underfoot']Im I the only one that sees the walls "moving" when I look away from the screen? I have played my fair amount of FPS or just sitting in front of the PC on some MMO for hours straight and have never seen my walls "move" before....[/quote]

I used to have that happen to me all the time when I played on my PS2. You play for a little while and then when you look away from the screen it looks like everything is still moving down just like it was on the fretboard. If you're like me you'll probably get the same fucked up sensation if you try running on a treadmill for 30 min then step off and start walking normally on the ground also.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So can a noob like me really practice enought to eventually play and beat expert with 5 stars?

I jumped from Easy to Medium, Hard, and Expert and when I got to hard I sucked but when I got to expert I sucked ass.[/quote]

It's not impossible. I started out worse on this than I did first playing DDR and now I've just recieved my second Guitar Hero game. I am a fan of rocking out. Cock-out is optional, and depends on if I'm at home or not...

[quote name='Kendro']Wow I'm looking at the song list from Guitar Hero 1 (never played GH before) and a lot of them kick all kinds of ass. I hope the DLC isn't too expensive because I'd definitely pick up a few from the original like Killer Queen and Smoke on the Water.[/quote]

Killer Queen was a really fun one. Symphony of Destruction, Stellar and Ziggy Stardust were also awesome.

[quote name='Kendro']Wow I'm looking at the song list from Guitar Hero 1 (never played GH before) and a lot of them kick all kinds of ass. I hope the DLC isn't too expensive because I'd definitely pick up a few from the original like Killer Queen and Smoke on the Water.[/quote]

I couldn't stand Smoke. The hook from the song is INCREDIBLY repetitive to play, and the challenge starts to become playing that 100 times in a row, then soloing, then doing it some more. I liked Take Me Out especially from the first one, but Killer Queen, Ziggy, Cowboys, and Spanish Castle Magic are all awesome and very welcome on my 360 when they go up as DLC.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']I used to have that happen to me all the time when I played on my PS2. You play for a little while and then when you look away from the screen it looks like everything is still moving down just like it was on the fretboard. If you're like me you'll probably get the same fucked up sensation if you try running on a treadmill for 30 min then step off and start walking normally on the ground also.[/quote]
So will the "moving" stop after playing the game for a few weeks?

[quote name='jakescape53']awesome. My UPS truck driver usually comes through anytime within the next 2 hours or so. This day is pretty much dedicated to hoping and waiting for me[/QUOTE]

Yep. I'm sitting here hoping and waiting for the UPS guy. Been "in transit" for delivery since 5:01am....should be here any minute!

[quote name='Underfoot']So will the "moving" stop after playing the game for a few weeks?[/quote]I first noticed this when I got a message on the 360 at the end of a song and pushed the guide button. The blade that came out looked like it was moving and I thought my TV was going to pot. Then I looked at my Wii and it was doing the same thing, and figured I was just dying. ;)

I've been playing pretty constantly since Saturday and I think the effect, while still there, is less noticable. Or at least I know what it is and can ignore it more.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just stopped by Circuit City to get my 1600pts adjustment and realized that Entourage S3.Pt.1 came out, so I got that the card and another Guitar Hero II and I was able to use the $15 off of $100 coupon. So I'll just return the Guitar Hero II I just bought with Saturday's receipt at a later time. :D[/quote]Just be careful, don't use that 2nd points card cause you'll need to return that with the game. :)

[quote name='daroga']Just be careful, don't use that 2nd points card cause you'll need to return that with the game. :)[/quote]

Oh I know...the game I bought on Saturday I got without the points card. I just repurchased it along with the extras, never did the adjustment, will just be returning the game alone.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Oh I know...the game I bought on Saturday I got without the points card. I just repurchased it along with the extras, never did the adjustment, will just be returning the game alone.[/quote]gotchya!

The thing I really like about games like this is the introduction to music you perhaps never listed to. GH seems espeacially good at this because it doesn't just ofcus on one type of guitar music but has a pretty broad sweep. I've had "Woman" going through my head all day; I can't say that I had ever heard it before I started playing the game. It's also so much fun to have a song going through your head and not just listen to it, but play it. ;)

GH2 stands as my first, certain permanent-collection game for the 360.

went to circuit city this morning, picked it up and got my points card. im in florida visiting relatives. the one near my house has no points card from which my friends tol me. im going to use the points to buy the new rainbow six content that supposedly was coming out in march.

[quote name='specialk']color me impressed with the bag[/quote]

Really?

I passed up on it so I could use a $15 off coupon and get the 1600pts at Circuit City. Wondering if the bag would have been better. :whistle2:k

[quote name='specialk']color me impressed with the bag[/quote]Yeah, it is of much better quality than I figured it would be. It's a nice clean place to store the guitar and the USB extender I got for it. I've only got one, but it can hold two, so that's cool.

It just for storage, not for travel, for me. But it was a nice freebie on top of free shipping and no tax.

Well I'm through my first few songs on Easy as my first GH experience, and I'm having a blast. Oh, and that failed a song on easy acheivement was my 5 year old son trying it.
:)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Someone on the Team Xbox forums posted this pic. The controller with the mic jack and the ethernet is supposedly the one without whammy problems. The bottom one is to reported to have a crappy or non-functioning whammy. Fortunately I have the top one and am having no problems at all.

1182782L.jpg

^^^^^^^^^I have the bottom guitar and it works great

BTW, can you unlock all the songs in the game by playing the carrer mode on easy?

[quote name='anomynous']^^^^^^^^^I have the bottom guitar and it works great

BTW, can you unlock all the songs in the game by playing the carrer mode on easy?[/quote]

Nope.

Man what a hard game! Do y'all suggest playing all the way through on easy first? I got to the third venue on medium having never played before an my fingers feel like spaghetti. I just can't get the hammer stuff down.

[quote name='Kendal']Nope.[/QUOTE]
that sucks, looks like I'll wait for a code to come out for all the songs, or beat it on easy & practice, then play it on medium

[quote name='thrustbucket']Man what a hard game! Do y'all suggest playing all the way through on easy first? I got to the third venue on medium having never played before an my fingers feel like spaghetti. I just can't get the hammer stuff down.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I have the top one and my whammy bar is f'ed up it works like half the time. When I was trying to do the tutorial it wouldn't even work right when they tell you to use it.. I never really noticed when I was playing the game earlier as I didn't read the book or watch videos I just went into quick play or whatever it's called and assumed I was doing something wrong. :cry:

I am so glad I am seeing improvement with my "playing". I have improved every score I try usually, unless I make a few dumb mistakes. I amprobably more than half-way through easy on getting 5 stars and have loved every minute of it. I keep getting interrupted and my hands get hurt from playing. Bad joints make it hard to play for hours at a time. I am getting there and lovei t so much. I am off for a week from school, thank god, and am going to be cleaning and playing a buttload of GHII!

[quote name='Underfoot']So will the "moving" stop after playing the game for a few weeks?[/quote]

Nope. I still get this everytime I play for an extended period of time. Doesn't really bother me that much though.

I think i'm on the fourth setlist on medium.. five stars on every song so far, nabbed the 500 note streak and 100% notes hit achievements.. lovin' every second.

I mentioned this in the deal forum thread, but I have the top guitar and the whammy bar is screwed. That's pretty fucked up for the third iteration of a $60 peripheral.

So, if anyone is thinking of buying this game, be sure to get it B&M so you can exchange the damn thing.

Since someone earlier posted the controller is functional with your PC, are there games like this on PC (preferrably free) that I can utilize the guitar with?

"Killer Queen" better be a downloadable song, I swear. That's the only thing that's making me sad about selling GH1 on PS2.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Since someone earlier posted the controller is functional with your PC, are there games like this on PC (preferrably free) that I can utilize the guitar with?[/quote]
Frets on Fire (site is currently down due to massive traffic)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frets_on_Fire

You can download it here.

Is anyone else not liking the X-Plorer guitar? I'm having a rough time getting used to it. I started playing on hard but I think I'm going to go back to medium just to get used to the feel a little easier.

I'd have to say I greatly prefer the SG at this point.

[quote name='GF_Eric']Is anyone else not liking the X-Plorer guitar? I'm having a rough time getting used to it. I started playing on hard but I think I'm going to go back to medium just to get used to the feel a little easier.

I'd have to say I greatly prefer the SG at this point.[/quote]

My initial impressions were the same, but after playing six or seven songs, the xplorer grew on me.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Man what a hard game! Do y'all suggest playing all the way through on easy first? I got to the third venue on medium having never played before an my fingers feel like spaghetti. I just can't get the hammer stuff down.[/quote]

Guess it's all in play style, I haven't picked up the 360 version yet, but I've gone about 2/3'rds of the way through the hardest (Hard I think, it's been a few months) difficulty and I absolutely suck at the HO/PO stuff.

It's sad when playing the song on a real guitar is easier. This game was kicking my butt at first (on the harder medium songs) but I'm getting better.

Ack! My wife is sleeping on the couch and I want to play!!! Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping...

DAMN!!!

I got a doinked up guitar so I'm hatin' the game now. My star power launcher is busted. I have to hold the guitar upright and shake it for about 5 seconds before it kicks in. redoctane better not try to pull any shanagans and make me pay for the return shipping....or I'm gonna request a refund and there gonna find a turd in there gig bag!

[quote name='$hady']I have the top one and my whammy bar is f'ed up it works like half the time. When I was trying to do the tutorial it wouldn't even work right when they tell you to use it.. I never really noticed when I was playing the game earlier as I didn't read the book or watch videos I just went into quick play or whatever it's called and assumed I was doing something wrong. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my whammy bar is totally f'ed up too. Tutorial told me to use it but wouldn't even register half the time.

Guess I gotta request a RMA tomorrow. This'll be 3 of 4 RO products I had to return. :roll: (others were a Ignition and Afterburner dance pads...amazingly my SG controller didn't have any problems.)

Well, just had a coupole over from church, two firends of ours. AFter supper we booted up guitar hero and took turns playing songs. To humor them, after kinda sucking on The Trooper on Medium I booted it up on Expert. Sweet merciful crap. But we all had a good time and even my wife got down to some tunes :)

I'm getting close to "beating" Medium career though. Probably about 2/3 through. This game is just great. :)

[quote name='javeryh']Ack! My wife is sleeping on the couch and I want to play!!! Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping... Never disturb a pregnant woman while sleeping...

DAMN!!![/QUOTE]

Make her wear ear plugs.

People with whammy bar problems....I don't think it matters which version of the guitar you have. I've got the one that's supposed to work fine (top one in pic) and it's still messed up.

[quote name='DugFreez']I got a doinked up guitar so I'm hatin' the game now. My star power launcher is busted. I have to hold the guitar upright and shake it for about 5 seconds before it kicks in. redoctane better not try to pull any shanagans and make me pay for the return shipping....or I'm gonna request a refund and there gonna find a turd in there gig bag![/quote]

Yeah, its hard for me to activate the star power with the guitar tilt as well. The sensor seems really crappy in the explorer compared to the SG. I just press the select button to activate it instead.

^same here. Everything works but it all seems a little slow. Star power takes a second or so after tilting to activate and I have to press hard on my whammy bar to get it to work.

Just beat the game on expert but talk about total bummer that the achievements don't stack... going back to easy is painful

Man I suck at this...Starting at easy and I average about 60k a song. Never played a GH before. Getting starpower is a pain...

well... my day sucked. Checked the UPS tracking today and it a state away as of this morning. Ah well at least I know it will be here tomorrow. Something to look forward to i guess. Have fun everyone else. and watch out tomorrow when jakescape joins the ranks

bread's done
Back