Guitar Hero II - General Disscusion - Indie Pack #2 - 3 Songs Up Now

[quote name='flybrione']This is my main question. Do these new songs have all the co-op feautures of Guitar Hero 2 or are they just ports from Guitar Hero 1.

There was not as many co-op features for these songs in Guitar Hero 1. Basically each person would take turns playing parts of the songs.[/quote]

I am curious too - can I practice each of these songs? Can I play bass? What's the deal?

[quote name='daroga']I don't know that it's thier "fault." They hardly would've suspected in 2005 that in 07 they'd have a run away hit with a sequel on a console supporting downloadable songs. To get a sufficently open-ended contract on those songs to do whatever they wanted with in the future would've made the cost insane.

In the end, however, I have a feeling this is Microsoft's doing and not the song agreements. We've read too much recently about MS forcing companies to charge a set amount for things (Geomoetry Wars, Gears DLC, etc.) for me not to believe this isn't some MS big-wig calling the shots.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. However, as someone has said, these aren't originals. Or at least they all aren't, I didn't play GHI or II for PS2. Also, it's not as if you can just copy the music on to a CD or iPod, which is the big worry that record companies (that sounds weird to say these days) have. You'd have to nail all the notes perfectly, and figure out a way to bypass the copy-protection...which is illegal in the first place.

It is a valid point: you can get the song itself for only a $1. Did the remap/bass/co-play add another buck? It may well have, and more. But is it equal value to the consumer? I'd wager no.

I'll hold out for a complete GHI pack if it ever comes, or a la carte pricing. There's not one song so far that I'd be willing to pay for, much less three.

guitar_hero_2.jpg

[quote name='javeryh']I am curious too - can I practice each of these songs? Can I play bass? What's the deal?[/QUOTE]

From what I've read from the xbox.com forums yes to both.

i went looking for the bundle today. everywhere i am is sold out :(

should have preordered, or decided to buy this last week.

So how long did the out cry against the EA thing or the Lumines songs take to see an effect on the marketplace? This seems pretty severe and universtal across the nerdy intrawebs.

In addition to my Lumines-theory in post #1000, here's something else to consider:

Maybe MS/Activision/Red Octane already have an online play update ready to go, and they're going to use that as their supposed make good on this situation. "Here you go, something that should have been in the game to begin with...but instead, we'll give it to you now and make you think getting ripped off was worth it! ....and stay tuned for our next set of 500 point forced-packs."

as for lumines it was at least a month if not 2 before they lowered the pricing...as for EA, I think they still sell them well...EA is targeting other types of gamers, the ones that play very little, and want to buy in game cheats I guess you would describe it.

On all games interactive last monday or tuesday, the 2nd or 3rd of april several of the hosts had gone to a red octane sponsored gh2 party. One of the members of the crew mentioned the DLC being in pack of 3 songs, and that later on they would sell them all together bundle of 9 songs.

[quote name='deadite76']From what I've read from the xbox.com forums yes to both.[/QUOTE]

That kind of makes me want to buy pack 1 but I will wait it out and see what happens with all the complaints going on the internets.

They definetly did not just port these over from the first game then but I still think the price is high for just three songs.

[quote name='ryanbph']as for lumines it was at least a month if not 2 before they lowered the pricing...as for EA, I think they still sell them well...EA is targeting other types of gamers, the ones that play very little, and want to buy in game cheats I guess you would describe it.[/QUOTE]

Lumines never lowered the prices, IIRC.

They just offered a discount on the future packs for a limited time.

I'm really starting to believe that MS see the Marketplace as a good place to rip people off and make them pay for stuff that blatantly should have been included in games in the first place.

They are sadly mistaken, I have boycotted any DLC that has to be paid for and will continue to do so until it's presented at a reasonable price point.

[quote name='tiredfornow']I really dont give a shit, Im gonna fuck Bark at the Moon up tonight![/QUOTE]

...that's exactly the response they like to hear.
Online petitions and diggs are nice - but they don't care. That's why I'm voting with my wallet. Until the price is more in line with the value, they get none of my $. I'd like to be able to play some of the GH1 songs, even some new ones - but not at any price.

[quote name='benjamouth']I'm really starting to believe that MS see the Marketplace as a good place to rip people off and make them pay for stuff that blatantly should have been included in games in the first place.

They are sadly mistaken, I have boycotted any DLC that has to be paid for and will continue to do so until it's presented at a reasonable price point.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not everyone has the same mentality (look at the post below yours).

I've been saying this since day one: DLC is DEATH to CAGs.

Speaking of Lumines:

Did the Q? say "fuck it!" in the DLC content they promised? All we got was one skin.

[quote name='FrankieFiero']...that's exactly the response they like to hear.
Online petitions and diggs are nice - but they don't care. That's why I'm voting with my wallet. Until the price is more in line with the value, they get none of my $. I'd like to be able to play some of the GH1 songs, even some new ones - but not at any price.[/QUOTE]

If product doesn't sell, new product doesn't get produced.

If product doesn't sell, and they know it's too expensive/poorly made, then we will get the changes we so desire.

Not only should you voice your opinion to RO, but to MS as well. If you could somehow get 2 mil of the subscribers to let MS know they won't be purchasing any marketplace content, we might be on to something. Unfortunately, that will never happen.

[quote name='Brak']Speaking of Lumines:

Did the Q? say "fuck it!" in the DLC content they promised? All we got was one skin.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly, the artist download pack (The one with Warner Brothers Artists) was scheduled for "early 2007"

I imagine with the backlash against the game and the arcade in general around that time, it was scrapped till further notice.

I just did the math for getting GH1 as DLC with the current pricing:

Guitar Hero 1 = 30 songs + 17 unlockables = 47 songs

GH II Song packs = 3 songs @ 500pts = $6.25 ($2.08 per song)

Complete GH1 library at this pricing: $2.08 x 47 songs = $97.76 :hot:

And my hopes and dreams for these songs was shattered today by Activision...looks like Frets on Fire is getting all my attention for those songs.

weren't these songs already in GHII on the PS2?

This is the exact definition of fucked up DLC-- making you pay for stuff that should've been in in the first place.

Well, I bought song pack 1, on a friend's recommendation. I just see it as being nearly free, after getting the 400 free points from the discovery channel thing.

And I also FC'ed my first song on medium, Billion Dollar Babies :D

[quote name='Roufuss']Lumines never lowered the prices, IIRC.

They just offered a discount on the future packs for a limited time.[/QUOTE]

That's correct.

If they are going to gauge us a $2+ per song, at least have the decency to let us pick and choose the songs individually.

Very disappointed.

EDIT: A shit-ton of disappointed people posting on Major Nelson's Blog.

[quote name='CheapyD']If they are going to gauge us a $2+ per song, at least have the decency to let us pick and choose the songs individually.

Very disappointed.

EDIT: A shit-ton of disappointed people posting on Major Nelson's Blog.[/QUOTE]

Cheapy, I think you need to use your all star status and front page an intelligent critique of marketplace to highlight this stuff. Let's be honest, bitching on forums and signing on line petitions has very little impact on anything. Between this, Lumines, and the Gears DLC fiasco, I'm horribly disappointed with MS and Marketplace right now. And I've been an advocate on board with Live since launch.

If PS3 starts rolling out the good games and keeps all their on line stuff free, I can see Sony rising very quickly in the console race. I really think it's a terrible time for MS to start alienating their followers.

Damn...I'll still probably grab all 3 packs though :)

Doubt I will have a chance to get them until Summer though. I'll wait for a gaming drought or when I'm near finished with GH2.

[quote name='AshesofWake']This price doesn't surprise me that much. Royalty fees + MS forcing them to charge more ala the example with the Gears maps

blah...[/quote]
I'm sure Activision set the price on these, not Microsoft.
The Gears example isn't great as Epic wanted to release the maps for free.

Has anyone had red octane actually respond on replacing a defective guitar? I mean with instructions, a shipping label, cross-shipping a new one, etc.?

Well there's some acknowledgement on the Guitar Hero forums from a moderator. Let's see if this is getting through...

http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=18409

Hey all,

I assure you that RedOctane and Activision are aware of your frustrations. I don't know if this backlash was expected to them or not, but we don't need all of these topics. Please keep concerns here please, in a single thread. Thank you

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm sure Activision set the price on these, not Microsoft.
The Gears example isn't great as Epic wanted to release the maps for free.[/QUOTE]

ah true, forgot about that

[quote name='Ronin317']Has anyone had red octane actually respond on replacing a defective guitar? I mean with instructions, a shipping label, cross-shipping a new one, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Ha. Red Octane's customer support is awful. I spent three weeks trying to update my credit card information for the pre-order. I eventually just canceled the entire order and re-ordered. I'm still waiting for a refund on some busted Xbox cases they sent me three years ago.

Its the only customer support line I've dealt with that only has one phone line that hangs up after five minutes of waiting.

Guess I will fire GH1 for the PS2 to play some of these. I can understand costs and profit, but this is fucking stupid.

It seems the more micro-transactions out there, the less money would be spent on new games or new product. Just seems to narrow the field that gamers would spend their money in. Really did not have a problem with micro-transactions. Now I'm not to sure if it is healthy for the industry as a whole.

I see everyones point but, they aren't forcing you to buy them... if you don't want them don't buy them. Also this is CAG everyone can think of ways to get MS points, for example don't buy them online by them at best buy that way you get 400 points for free (GGC = $5 off which equals out to 400 ms points) so really you are only paying 100 points for 3 songs, then buy some arcade games you don't need all the songs at once next time you need points do the same thing.

but the major point is if you don't want it don't buy it either they will get the point and sell them individually or you will finally find enough songs to justify your purcahse, I have already bought two because I did the free 1600 point card from with the eharmony or who ever that was. I still haven't found a 7'6" african american Jew that speaks sign Language, but thats besides the point.

[quote name='terribledeli']Ha. Red Octane's customer support is awful. I spent three weeks trying to update my credit card information for the pre-order. I eventually just canceled the entire order and re-ordered. I'm still waiting for a refund on some busted Xbox cases they sent me three years ago.

Its the only customer support line I've dealt with that only has one phone line that hangs up after five minutes of waiting.[/quote]
Figures...this is what I get for being a true CAG and trying to save a few $ worth of tax and get a free bag by ordering from them directly...no recourse when the fucking thing doesn't work.

If they don't respond in the next day or so, I'm disputing the charge with my card co. In the meantime, I'll go buy one at retail. This is some bullshit...

Now would be a great time to get some free points..say from this site known as gaming lagoon.. ::coughs::CHECK SIG ::spits::

=)

But seriously, that is some expensive shit.

[quote name='lilboo']Now would be a great time to get some free points..say from this site known as gaming lagoon.. ::coughs::CHECK SIG ::spits::

=)

But seriously, that is some expensive shit.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I just did the math for getting GH1 as DLC with the current pricing:

Guitar Hero 1 = 30 songs + 17 unlockables = 47 songs

GH II Song packs = 3 songs @ 500pts = $6.25 ($2.08 per song)

Complete GH1 library at this pricing: $2.08 x 47 songs = $97.76 :hot:[/QUOTE]

We get any lube with that?

Added my 2 cents. I wasn't planning on paying full price for this anyways, but at those prices I will be waiting even longer.

bread's done
Back