Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 8/21 Dragonforce Track Pack

The Mosh1 part in the Slayer song is actually harder than playing the part on an actual guitar, in my opinion.
Assuming you can already play guitar of course.

[quote name='porieux']The Mosh1 part in the Slayer song is actually harder than playing the part on an actual guitar, in my opinion.
Assuming you can already play guitar of course.[/quote]

I can't play quitar but It doesn't sound nearly as hard as it is. I'm about 40 tries in and no luck beating it yet. Only song to give me trouble. I did get a bit closer today though.

[quote name='porieux']The Mosh1 part in the Slayer song is actually harder than playing the part on an actual guitar, in my opinion.
Assuming you can already play guitar of course.[/quote]

My blue button just voluntarily stops working during Mosh 1. I'd hit the orange button and doing the whole motion of hitting the prior notes, but somehow the entire string of pull-offs is untouched because my blue button hates me. I'm blaming the guitar.

[quote name='lebowsky']I was reading a strategy on Scorehero.com on how to beat him. It basically said that if you get the whammy power-up, wait until Lou hits a stream of green notes and then hit him with it. He will fail almost instantly because there are so many notes.

It was saying that if you don't get the whammy power up, just restart the song and do it again until you do get it. I have yet to make it that far (damn these tier 8 songs!) so I can't describe to you exactly where those notes are, but apparently it is towards the beginning of the actual meat of the song.

EDIT: From watching the YouTube video of the song, the power up comes at almost 2 minutes into the song. If you get the whammy power up there, hit him with it and immediately. He has a stretch of a shitload of green notes and will die right there.[/QUOTE]
I just beat expert a few hours ago, and the whammy power-up RARELY comes up. I maybe had it show up four times out of literally 70 times.
But I finally did it, hooray. :(

Also, HO/PO's are your friends for "Raining Blood" for Mosh 1. That's how I beat it. Star power helps, but if you can do the HO/PO's fine or average, then you really don't need it (lulz i'm captain obvious :().

Man, it bugs the crap out of me that Slither from Velvet Revolver is on the Soundtrack CD, but it's not in the game at all. I was hoping it was a Co-op encore, but no dice.

Maybe it'll be DLC, but it's still annoying. =\

ive beat gh1, 2, 80s on expert, lots of 5 stars. went over to a friends tonight who just got gh3, and got up to tom morello and he beat me like 5 times in a row! i feel demoralized. i will blame it on the small tv.

[quote name='eastx']Nobody buy RedOctane's charger. We all know they could have supported the Play and Charge kit but didn't so that they could sell their BS charger. If you need rechargeables, go with this one:

Eneloop Charger

Or the 4 Battery version, which is $25. Eneloop batteries are the best you can get and will last much longer than other kinds.[/quote]

In for one...thanks!

After completing this and playing through it for a while....I've come to the conclusion that this might be my last GH game. The best soundtrack in the fucking world is useless when the HOPO system is broken/makes no sense. I'm sick of the pick-and-choose approach to what can and can't be HO/PO'd. Its pretty ridiculous when the EXACT same fucking riff can be hammered on at point A, but not at point B 2 minutes later in a song.

And don't get me started on bullshit like the last 40ish seconds of My Curse. A Half minute of nonstop rapid-succession notes that I have to strum individually?

Eat me, Neversoft.

[quote name='infamyRISE']After completing this and playing through it for a while....I've come to the conclusion that this might be my last GH game. The best soundtrack in the fucking world is useless when the HOPO system is broken/makes no sense. I'm sick of the pick-and-choose approach to what can and can't be HO/PO'd. Its pretty ridiculous when the EXACT same fucking riff can be hammered on at point A, but not at point B 2 minutes later in a song.

And don't get me started on bullshit like the last 40ish seconds of My Curse. A Half minute of nonstop rapid-succession notes that I have to strum individually?

Eat me, Neversoft.[/quote]

My favorite is the beginning of through the fire and flames, in training it's called they're hammer ons. But apparently it only applies to expert, sucks ass for me trying to strum all those notes individually on hard.

[quote name='infamyRISE']After completing this and playing through it for a while....I've come to the conclusion that this might be my last GH game. The best soundtrack in the fucking world is useless when the HOPO system is broken/makes no sense. I'm sick of the pick-and-choose approach to what can and can't be HO/PO'd. Its pretty ridiculous when the EXACT same fucking riff can be hammered on at point A, but not at point B 2 minutes later in a song.

Eat me, Neversoft.[/quote]

You know, I didn't notice it until I started hitting the harder tiers but you are right. Since HO/POs are so much easier to do in GH3, it would be nice if they were actually consistent.

I never played GH2 so I don't know how Harmonix did it, and they were useless in GH1 so I just ignored them and strummed like a madman.

Roffle.

The HOPOs are now put in by a person instead of he game engine. That means that notes that aren't actually HOPOable, usually aren't. GH2 was chock full of HOPOs in places where there weren't any.

[quote name='evanft']Roffle.

The HOPOs are now put in by a person instead of he game engine. That means that notes that aren't actually HOPOable, usually aren't. GH2 was chock full of HOPOs in places where there weren't any.[/quote]Can you explain this a little more? :)

[quote name='daroga']Can you explain this a little more? :)[/QUOTE]

HOPOs in GH2 were just based on an algorithm that put them in when notes were close enough together, regardless of whether the real song was using them.

In GH3 the developers put HOPOs in manually where the actual guitar players used them (even if the notes weren't super close together). In some cases, even notes close together are strummed independently in the real songs.

[quote name='Backlash']HOPOs in GH2 were just based on an algorithm that put them in when notes were close enough together, regardless of whether the real song was using them.

In GH3 the developers put HOPOs in manually where the actual guitar players used them (even if the notes weren't super close together). In some cases, even notes close together are strummed independently in the real songs.[/quote]

Well that makes much more sense. I assumed that HO/POs were just for notes grouped closely together. I guess I find it funny that Harmonix, a company known for music games, would use a less precise method for coding HO/POs than Activision.

just went to score hero to get some tips for beating lou... wow those guys are fuckin nuts, they take the game waaaaay to seriously and are asses to anyone who doesnt 5* every song on expert. i think id rather read a thread here about 360 vs ps3 from fanboys than read a thread over there about a song being too hard.

[quote name='Backlash']In GH3 the developers put HOPOs in manually where the actual guitar players used them (even if the notes weren't super close together). In some cases, even notes close together are strummed independently in the real songs.[/QUOTE]

They can't be. There's tons of unrealistic HOPO's in this game, I don't know what you guys are talking about.. GH2 seemed a lot more accurate. A guitar string won't vibrate long enough to do most of the shit you can do in GH3 when you keep adding/removing fingers.. Not to mention, the sound usually gets quieter as you go. A lot of these are long as hell, makes no sense.

[quote name='red flare graf']They can't be. There's tons of unrealistic HOPO's in this game, I don't know what you guys are talking about.. GH2 seemed a lot more accurate. A guitar string won't vibrate long enough to do most of the shit you can do in GH3 when you keep adding/removing fingers.. Not to mention, the sound usually gets quieter as you go. A lot of these are long as hell, makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

Well, they are definitely manually inserted instead of automatically via algorithm. The Neversoft guys claim they are more realisitic; I can't speak to that.

[quote name='Backlash']Well, they are definitely manually inserted instead of automatically via algorithm. The Neversoft guys claim they are more realisitic; I can't speak to that.[/QUOTE]

I always just figured they were manually inserted, anyway.. That's weird that they weren't in GH2.

Anyway, there's a bunch of realistic ones, but there's still a ton that aren't. Which, I don't really need realism in this game, I'm just saying that they're wrong. Not really a complaint.

fuck being more realistic, if I want realistic, I'll pull out the REAL GUITAR. I want to have FUN. This is not fun.

I also agree with red flare: GH2 HOPOs felt way more natural to me. The several-measure-long HOPOs in this game is what is unrealistic.

[quote name='infamyRISE']fuck being more realistic, if I want realistic, I'll pull out the REAL GUITAR. I want to have FUN. This is not fun.[/quote]

When GHII got too hard, that shit got sold with a quickness. I have a feeling it won't be too much longer before the same thing happens with my copy of GHIII. Of course, I prolly didn't put too much effort in the higher difficulties with the previous game. I'll give this one more attention.

I kinda enjoyed the HO/PO in "My Name is Jonas," but if they're going to include that and try to tell me it's more "realistic," I'll laugh in their face.

[quote name='mykevermin']I kinda enjoyed the HO/PO in "My Name is Jonas," but if they're going to include that and try to tell me it's more "realistic," I'll laugh in their face.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, exactly. It is fun, but they left realism way behind on that one.

[quote name='mykevermin']I kinda enjoyed the HO/PO in "My Name is Jonas," but if they're going to include that and try to tell me it's more "realistic," I'll laugh in their face.[/QUOTE]

I think that has more to do with the fact that it's on acoustic guitar, and replicating that part without making it absolutely ridiculous would be very difficult, so they threw us a bone and made it a set of easy HOPOs. Sae thing with the opening to TTFAF. There's strumming there, but the fact that it's an acoustic guitar makes it somewhat of a different animal.

[quote name='red flare graf']They can't be. There's tons of unrealistic HOPO's in this game, I don't know what you guys are talking about.. GH2 seemed a lot more accurate. A guitar string won't vibrate long enough to do most of the shit you can do in GH3 when you keep adding/removing fingers.. Not to mention, the sound usually gets quieter as you go. A lot of these are long as hell, makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

If you're gonna sit here and tell me that the long-ass sections of HOPOs present in many of the songs in GH2 are realistic and "more natural", then I'm gonna have to buy you a ticket for a cruise on the fail boat. I mean seriously, have you ever played Free Bird? Yeah, I'm sure most of the beginning notes really are HOPOs on guitar. I'm also sure that all the notes in CoD that aren't HOPOs are really just long-ass sections of HOPOs on real guitar.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']just went to score hero to get some tips for beating lou... wow those guys are fuckin nuts, they take the game waaaaay to seriously and are asses to anyone who doesnt 5* every song on expert. i think id rather read a thread here about 360 vs ps3 from fanboys than read a thread over there about a song being too hard.[/QUOTE]

I know, it's almost like they're the top 1% of GH players and they don't have time for players that suck ass.

This thread needs more bragging about individual song scores. Maybe in the OP? Or maybe a separate thread? I'm curious to see how everyone is doing in the career mode.

Why is this game $100? Guitar Hero II wasn't $100.

I'm fucking pissed. I want this game so bad, but it's coming down between Guitar Hero III and having enough food to survive.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Why is this game $100? Guitar Hero II wasn't $100.

I'm fucking pissed. I want this game so bad, but it's coming down between Guitar Hero III and having enough food to survive.[/quote]

$10 extra for wireless. Go get the X-plorer version from Wal-Mart for $90 with the wired controller.

[quote name='evanft']If you're gonna sit here and tell me that the long-ass sections of HOPOs present in many of the songs in GH2 are realistic and "more natural", then I'm gonna have to buy you a ticket for a cruise on the fail boat. I mean seriously, have you ever played Free Bird? Yeah, I'm sure most of the beginning notes really are HOPOs on guitar. I'm also sure that all the notes in CoD that aren't HOPOs are really just long-ass sections of HOPOs on real guitar.[/QUOTE]

Free Bird's intro uses a lot of slides, which would have to equate to HOPOs in Guitar Hero. You can keep your ticket.

lol @ the "realism" debate here. You people obviously have never played the guitar before. Here's a clue: there aren't five big plastic buttons on a real guitar, and you don't push down a bar to strum/pick.

But thanks, this seriously made me laugh.

[quote name='PyroGamer']lol @ the "realism" debate here. You people obviously have never played the guitar before. Here's a clue: there aren't five big plastic buttons on a real guitar, and you don't push down a bar to strum/pick.

But thanks, this seriously made me laugh.[/QUOTE]

If that's what you think, then you're a blind dumbass who hasn't been reading my posts.

Hammer-ons/Pull-offs basically work the same way in Guitar Hero as they do on a real guitar. They're all done on the same string, and a Guitar Hero controller only has one row of buttons. But the way the notes are mapped in the game is what's screwed up.

Like I said, I don't need realism in this game, but everyone wants to argue and I will, too.

[quote name='red flare graf']If that's what you think, then you're a blind dumbass who hasn't been reading my posts.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='red flare graf']A guitar string won't vibrate long enough to do most of the shit you can do in GH3 when you keep adding/removing fingers.. Not to mention, the sound usually gets quieter as you go. A lot of these are long as hell, makes no sense.[/QUOTE]
I've seen people play entire songs with hammer-ons and pulls. If you hammer on hard enough, you can go for a very long time, especially on a good guitar.

You can even increase volume when hammering on, though it's easier on pulls.

Though I will admit some parts I have played just don't follow what you'd do with an actual guitar, as far as HO/POs go.

[quote name='red flare graf']Hammer-ons/Pull-offs basically work the same way in Guitar Hero as they do on a real guitar. They're all done on the same string, and a Guitar Hero controller only has one row of buttons.[/QUOTE]
GH doesn't even differentiate between frets and strings. Not even going into what actual strings you'd play what with pinch harmonics, you'll regularly go up to the orange fret on a note that's actually played with a pinch harmonic in the recording. And even if you want to count frets as strings: it's missing one.

I think hammer-ons should just be done in GH where they fit in, like on trills and such where they are obvious.

[quote name='red flare graf']Free Bird's intro uses a lot of slides, which would have to equate to HOPOs in Guitar Hero. You can keep your ticket.[/QUOTE]

Clearly, but some of the more complex sections, which audibly sound like picked notes, are HOPOable.

[quote name='PyroGamer']lol @ the "realism" debate here. You people obviously have never played the guitar before. Here's a clue: there aren't five big plastic buttons on a real guitar, and you don't push down a bar to strum/pick.

But thanks, this seriously made me laugh.[/QUOTE]

Awful post.

[quote name='evanft']Awful post.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I totallly agree with this sentiment. I think I'll just shut up now. :lol: :whistle2:#

[quote name='PyroGamer']GH doesn't even differentiate between frets and strings. Not even going into what actual strings you'd play what with pinch harmonics, you'll regularly go up to the orange fret on a note that's actually played with a pinch harmonic in the recording. And even if you want to count frets as strings: it's missing one.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was talking about all of the buttons together being like one guitar string, not each button being a string. I'm just saying, the HOPO's in this game are a semi-realistic technique being that they're performed on the same string, and this guitar only has one string.. Obviously different, but I think you know what I mean.

And I've personally never seen/heard, or even been able to play myself, a hammer on/pull off that gets louder. Maybe with a distortion pedal or something, which I've never used. I could be wrong, just speaking from my own experience. I've always had pitch from a string die out really quickly when doing them.

well, this thread got terrible in a hurry.

i always find it hilarious when people bitch about difficulty in gh games. there's a reason they made 4 difficulty levels. if you can't beat a song on expert, either practice or move down to hard. it's simple really.

and the new HO/PO manual placement is fine once you get used to the songs. at first it throws you off, since you're expecting certain notes to be HO/PO and they're not, but the more you play a song, the more you memorize it, and it's not a problem.

I cant believe this actually happened... but I read on the scorehero forums that some guys were using their feet to hold green on the intro to Dragonforce on expert. Tried it, it works - f'ing unbelievable. Use your right heel to press down on green and use your other fingers to tap. Almost failed the song at like 4 different points but I passed with 86% 310k. I tried using my thumb Richie Havens style, I tried using my chin and my mouth, and it turns out I just need more appendages.

[quote name='buttasuperb']well, this thread got terrible in a hurry.

i always find it hilarious when people bitch about difficulty in gh games. there's a reason they made 4 difficulty levels. if you can't beat a song on expert, either practice or move down to hard. it's simple really.

and the new HO/PO manual placement is fine once you get used to the songs. at first it throws you off, since you're expecting certain notes to be HO/PO and they're not, but the more you play a song, the more you memorize it, and it's not a problem.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, it's not the song difficulty that is throwing people off.

I'm stuck on Lou on Hard. As I said before if I fail a song I want it to be because I suck and I need to practice more. If I fail because some weird power-up is thrown my way and I can't play left-handed, well that's just dumb.

Guitar Hero ain't Mario Kart.

[quote name='asianxcore']From what I've seen, it's not the song difficulty that is throwing people off.

I'm stuck on Lou on Hard. As I said before if I fail a song I want it to be because I suck and I need to practice more. If I fail because some weird power-up is thrown my way and I can't play left-handed, well that's just dumb.

Guitar Hero ain't Mario Kart.[/QUOTE]

exactly, i dont care if theres really hard songs. i just go into practice mode until i have the solos down and then i can pass them. but my brain doesnt work lefty, i hate losing because lou gets can lefty flip me and double note me during a solo, its very irritating. its even more irritating when you use a power up against lou and he just powers through it, amp overloads and broken strings are useless against him.

[quote name='buttasuperb']well, this thread got terrible in a hurry.

and the new HO/PO manual placement is fine once you get used to the songs. at first it throws you off, since you're expecting certain notes to be HO/PO and they're not, but the more you play a song, the more you memorize it, and it's not a problem.[/QUOTE]

Since i sorta-kinda-maybe sparked the latest HOPO debate, which I assume is what you're talking about with your post, I'll chime in. This isn't about difficulty, I can finish the majority of songs (even the likes of [One], etc) on expert. Its not about "difficulty". Its about inconsistency.

As has been pointed out -- why the HELL can I HOPO [Jonas] intro and NOT [My Curse] outro? This intrinsically isn't about realism and its not about difficulty, its about some douche at Neversoft putting in random, arbitrary HOPO patterns.

[quote name='shieryda']Do you guys recalibrate the lag on each difficulty?[/QUOTE]

ive played through easy, medium, hard (up to lou) and im working my way through expert now, i havent messed with the calibration at all. some people earlier said 34 was a good number, so i tried that and it screwed me up big time.

i just got this game last night, it's my very first guitar hero experience, i beat easy and started on medium, i know for sure i definitely need to practice, my pinky is extremely uncoordinated so the blue button kicks my ass now, gonna go home after work and get some practice in, this game is a lot of fun, wanna pick up 2 now and play that one also.

does anybody know of a good achievement guide or want to make one. I need some clarification on some the the acievements and the one at 360achievements.org sucks.

[quote name='Mrbaseball2710']does anybody know of a good achievement guide or want to make one. I need some clarification on some the the acievements and the one at 360achievements.org sucks.[/quote]

Wel...which ones do you need clarification on?

Personally the calibration lag does shit for me. I tried doing the test with whenever I play the HDTV, but I can't help but feel it's still off (scratch that, I know I'm off if something like Lacuna Coil is giving me 3 stars when on my PS2 to my TV i can get 5 stars on it on expert). If I go to a normal non-HDTV I can play just fine, but for me I just can't find a right setting on something with high def graphics...

[quote name='Mattte']Wel...which ones do you need clarification on?[/quote]

1) On coop carreer achievements what level is it when the two people play expert and easy. For beat easy do both people have to be on easy?

2) Are there any songs other than TTFAF that you can score 750k on? 500k?

3) For the buy stuff from the shop achievements do you have to unlock everything or is it like GHII where it means buy everything that is available to you?

4) Can you do the 5 star coop songs online or does it have to be coop carreer?

Thanks

TTFAF, Expert, Hyperspeed 3:

Trounced! (Though it wasnt the prettiest)

Edit: ospjkdopasjd after all that it doesn't give me the achievement? AAARGH. It did the same thing with the "Unlock all tracks" achievement the other day though that finally unlocked when I went back into the store....this however, I'm much more pissed about.

bread's done
Back