Gamespot.com..... 6/10
-http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/guitarhero/review.html?tag=topslot;title;1

Gamer20.com..... 8/10
-http://www.gamer20.com/gamehub/guitar-hero-on-tour-ds/review/1307

Gamechronicles.com..... positive review
-http://www.gamechronicles.com/reviews/nds/guitarhero/ontour.htm

Cheatcc.com..... 4.2/5
-http://cheatcc.com/ds/rev/guitarheroontourreview2.html

EDIT: the other CAGS have made me realize how much of a rip of this is....

EDIT 2: i bought it.... its pretty fun, but very very painful espcially for my wrist. Some good songs, but some bad songs. To me, it was an okay buy. Good enough. But still painful .... its like this :joystick:+ :fridge:=pain.

Hopefully it will sell well and encourage other developers to think outside the box more instead of releasing platformers based on movies & TV shows.

With that said, I can't see myself paying $50 for this.

The absolutely atrocious songlist is keeping me from disgracing my ds with this.

And $40 is too much for a handheld game, $50 is completely out of the question.

It's innovative but really annoying to play. Combined with a crummy songlist this game doesn't deserve a 9.

[quote name='SL4IN']The absolutely atrocious songlist is keeping me from disgracing my ds with this.

And $40 is too much for a handheld game, $50 is completely out of the question.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. With the songlist not being that great I will wait for a price drop/sale.

I agree with the review, the game is good. It impressed me anyway, I didn't think the game would play well at all, but it does.
The worst part about this game is the track list, but even then only about 5 of them are really terrible.

$50 is too much, but then again, it does mean that you will be able to buy all the future DS Guitar Hero games without spending $50 to buy that guitar grip again. I paid $50 for each of the Ouendan games and they were worth it, though I won't try to pretend this game is as good as Ouendan.

Assuming standard DS game price of $35, $15 for the guitar grip and pick stylus just isn't a ton of extra money. If they charged $80, sure, but it's not. Did you expect them to throw in the controller for free?

The game is actually fun, and the control system is beyond innovative.

-HM

[quote name='Kerig']It should be a mandatory part of the review to play On Tour on a crowded public bus.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Or the train. That's where this game will be good (I think). Perhaps you mean the opposite, but for me that's the key selling point. I take the train and bus to work, and this seems like it would be (another) a fun way to pass the time. I'm definitely going to pick it up at some point. Probably once I can get a good deal on it. I was going to buy 3 copies at toys r us and sell two of them (keeping the one free), but that deal doesn't seem to apply to On Tour in spite of the claim that it applies to all DS games. Hmm.

He meant the opposite. Most people would feel like an idiot playing this in public. And what the fuck's the point at home when you could be playing a real GH game on a console?

[quote name='crunchewy']Absolutely. Or the train. That's where this game will be good (I think). Perhaps you mean the opposite, but for me that's the key selling point. I take the train and bus to work, and this seems like it would be (another) a fun way to pass the time. I'm definitely going to pick it up at some point. Probably once I can get a good deal on it. I was going to buy 3 copies at toys r us and sell two of them (keeping the one free), but that deal doesn't seem to apply to On Tour in spite of the claim that it applies to all DS games. Hmm.[/quote]

i think that sale does work for gh: on tour becuz i saw it in the actual ad.

[quote name='dmaul1114']He meant the opposite. Most people would feel like an idiot playing this in public. And what the fuck's the point at home when you could be playing a real GH game on a console?[/QUOTE]

Great point - Anyone could probably find a game/guitar combo for that much

IGN could have at least tried to make us think they were neutral and put the Flash ad for Guitar Hero DS on a different page instead of right there on every page of the "review".

[quote name='dmaul1114']He meant the opposite. Most people would feel like an idiot playing this in public. And what the fuck's the point at home when you could be playing a real GH game on a console?[/QUOTE]

I think what you mean to say is that *you* would feel like an idiot playing it in public. Too bad if so. Yeah, yelling into the mic would be embarrassing. Good thing, then, that the game doesn't require you to do that. It's an option, but you can also press any button.

Why not play your DS at home? The DS isn't tied to a TV screen, and if, like in my house, you have only one TV, you don't always have the opportunity to play a console game. Also it's a lot easier to play with headphones on the DS than on a console. That allows me to play after the kids are in bed, and with enough volume to make it fun.

Of course I don't yet have the game and maybe it does suck, but so far I don't have any reason to believe that it does.

[quote name='crunchewy']I think what you mean to say is that *you* would feel like an idiot playing it in public. Too bad if so. Yeah, yelling into the mic would be embarrassing. Good thing, then, that the game doesn't require you to do that. It's an option, but you can also press any button.

Why not play your DS at home? The DS isn't tied to a TV screen, and if, like in my house, you have only one TV, you don't always have the opportunity to play a console game. Also it's a lot easier to play with headphones on the DS than on a console. That allows me to play after the kids are in bed, and with enough volume to make it fun.

Of course I don't yet have the game and maybe it does suck, but so far I don't have any reason to believe that it does.[/quote]
good point... now i want it again8-[

crunchewy,

I have the game, and I can safely say you hit the nail on the head. Having it on the DS just makes it easier to play if you have less time than you used to. No more commandeering the TV, making sure everything is hooked up, and then go. Last night, before sleeping, I just climbed into bed, put the headphones on, and rocked out. Very convenient, and more importantly, lots of fun. Oh, and the game itself and songs take much less time to load and save than my PS2 (GH3 takes forever on that; drives me batty).

Don't let the naysayers bother you. Of course the regular game is cool and lots of fun, but what is so wrong with having this option for those times when using the TV is a pain? The answer: nothing. It's a well done game, and worth your money if you want the advantages of a portable GH.

The sorts of arguments I see here are of the same ilk that I see from guitarists who say, "Why do this game when you can play a real guitar?" It's a silly argument, and I feel fine saying it, considering I play regular guitar. Real guitar, GH TV version, GH for PC, and GH for DS all have their own point and purpose. Collect 'em all!

-HM

[quote name='crunchewy']
[/quote]

Fair points. I play my DS at home, but just to play the types of games I can't play many of on the 360. 2D games, Suduko, stuff like Space Invaders Extreme etc. Otherwise I'd rather be playing something in HD on my 50" TV.

Good point about 1 TV/kids. Not a problem for me as I have no kids and my Roomate has her own TV in her room, and I have no guilt about hogging the HDTV since I've the one that bought it!

Even when I have kids, they'll have their own TV room/one to share with the Wife. :D

Of course I don't yet have the game and maybe it does suck, but so far I don't have any reason to believe that it does.

Too me, Guitar Hero is ONLY fun because you feel like you're playing the guitar due to using a guitar controller. I just can't see the fun in playing with the goofy DS attachment. How's that supposed to feel like a guitar? At best it will be a a slightly souped up random rhythm game, and I never liked those kidn of games (Elite Beat Agents etc.).

So I just don't see the appeal of that, much less to play it at home when I could just play the real guitar hero games on the 360--easy to hook up head phones to the stereo/TV as well if you have that need.

But to each their own.

This is a good barometer game for me, in terms of what CAGs I would tend to get along with (all five of you), or at least agree with most of the time. For the record, I'm firmly in the 'This game is for thirteen-year-old, shaggy-haired tools to play when they're not able to harass others on Live' camp.

There are a lot of great ideas and genres for portable gaming, just not this one.

[quote name='jollydwarf']This is a good barometer game for me, in terms of what CAGs I would tend to get along with (all five of you), or at least agree with most of the time. For the record, I'm firmly in the 'This game is for thirteen-year-old, shaggy-haired tools to play when they're not able to harass others on Live' camp.

There are a lot of great ideas and genres for portable gaming, just not this one.[/QUOTE]

And apparently 40/41 year old, perhaps a bit shaggy-haired, Dad's who don't have an Xbox 360 (or PS3 or Wii). Anyway, I'm surprised your Mom lets you chat with older kids on Live. ;^)

So, one average review (6 out of 10 isn't bad, just not particularly good either), and several quite positive reviews. I'm going to pick up a copy regardless at some point and see for myself. FYI, I couldn't get to gamespot to read the review - their server seems to be down - but gamerankings shows that they gave it 6 out of 10.

ehhh it's ok. i can't say it's worth $50. maybe $40. everything in the box is nice and all....but yeah the songlist are pretty bad.

and it's hard to play this in public. well ok i only tried at the honda dealership as i waited for my car to get fixed up. didn't strike a chord w/ the ppl there. pressing the fret buttons made enough noise...not as much as your regular plastic guitar. but enough for ppl to turn away from a TV (at normal volume) just to give me a WTF kinda look.

i'd recommend using headphones...or hook it up to your pc speakers. and don't make it super loud. the audio quality is pretty good for a DS game, but the fact that they're songs you hear on the radio makes you want better quality. i don't know why, but i kinda compare it to a 112 kbps MP3.

[quote name='typeRJ']and it's hard to play this in public. well ok i only tried at the honda dealership as i waited for my car to get fixed up. didn't strike a chord w/ the ppl there. pressing the fret buttons made enough noise...not as much as your regular plastic guitar. but enough for ppl to turn away from a TV (at normal volume) just to give me a WTF kinda look.[/QUOTE]

Which is funny, because they were no doubt watching some painfully obnoxious TV show. I won't have any problem with button noise as the train makes enough noise of it's own. I mean, unless they are really freaking loud. I guess I'll find out.

If the price is holding you back, SD reports that the game is available as part of TRU's online promo B2G1 free. Split the cost between two other CAGs and get it for $33.33 plus tax and shipping :)

Here is what they posted:

1. Add 3 Items to cart
  2. In cart, remove Guitar Hero On Tour Guitar Pick Stylus from your cart
  3. Checkout, your total will be $100 + $5 shipping = $105
The shipping was free earlier in the day, but it seems like they're charging $5 now.

[quote name='crunchewy']Which is funny, because they were no doubt watching some painfully obnoxious TV show. I won't have any problem with button noise as the train makes enough noise of it's own. I mean, unless they are really freaking loud. I guess I'll find out.[/quote]

the most noise comes from the constant tapping and slidding, i just got it by the way:D..... u will be in pain!

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']The shipping was free earlier in the day, but it seems like they're charging $5 now.[/QUOTE]

Actually the shipping is still free, but only if you buy only one copy of the game. Adding 2 or more results in being charged for shipping.

[quote name='cheapassVigilante']this thread goes in the GAME REVIEWS section of the forum.[/QUOTE]

Nope. That is for members to write their own, full-fledged reviews.

Discussions of professional reviews, and general talk of impressions of games etc. goes in the specific system forums. Or general gaming.

[quote name='crunchewy']Which is funny, because they were no doubt watching some painfully obnoxious TV show.[/quote]

God, I hate people who say things like this.

Go go gadget pretentious!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Does anyone else have a problem with their guitar grip attachment being really loose in the GBA slot?[/quote]

i do... but for me it only wiggles a bit, it doesnt actually come out unles i pull it out.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']God, I hate people who say things like this.

Go go gadget pretentious![/QUOTE]

Uh, so I'm suppose to enjoy daytime TV shows, especially the ones that tend to be on at car dealership waiting rooms? Sorry if that makes me "pretentious". If so, I don't know what I can do about it, because it's unlikely that I'll become a fan of Judge Joe Smithers or the latest "She slept with her husband's uncle's friends lesbian dog!" talk show. Oh well.

[quote name='n25philly']Does anyone play real games anymore, or just garbage like this[/QUOTE]

Look at how well the Wii is selling....there's your answer. :D

In all seriousness, there are plenty of "real" games selling like gangbusters on the 360 and PS3 (and even the Wii), so there's plenty of room for casual "games" and "real" games.

Is Guitar Hero a casual game? If so, then I'm all for casual games. Actually, I think part of the genius of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games is that they are simultaneously casual and not. Great for parties, but also solo play. Of course the DS version of Guitar Hero is, by it's very nature, less party-friendly then the console versions, will most often be played solo, and therefore I suppose it would have to qualify as *less* casual then the console versions. :)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Look at how well the Wii is selling....there's your answer. :D
[/QUOTE]

Did you beat Puzzle Quest yet?

[quote name='Strell']Did you beat Puzzle Quest yet?[/QUOTE]

Yep, beat and passed on to the girlfriend.

Good game, gets a little stale after a while since the story is so lame, but it made bejeweled fun and I'd never liked bejeweled! Preferred Tetris Attack--a lot more interesting with scrolling screen and being able to move everything around.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is Guitar Hero a casual game? If so, then I'm all for casual games. Actually, I think part of the genius of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games is that they are simultaneously casual and not. Great for parties, but also solo play.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. The console GH games (and rock band) are the perfect way to make a game that is fun for casual gamer/non-gamers and us more regular gamers alike. Anyone can play on easy and have a blast, and the 3 higher levels give a good challege for more serious gamers.

Compared to stuff like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play etc. which I have a hard time getting into. But my girlfriends family (brother, sister in law and 3 year old nephew) who aren't gamers have had a blast with the Wii and such games since I pretty much gave it to them. So there's nothing wrong with targeting that market, casual games and "real" games can co-exist.

I'm liking the game so far, yeah your wrists hurt after a while, but so what, big deal, then stop playin' for a bit. Also yeah the Grip is kinda loose in the GBA slot.

But I'm fairly pleased with it for what they did for GH and adapt it for the DS is pretty amazing if you think about it.

So I got the hidden track when you beat the Guitar Duels. Pretty funny song, nice touch they put that in there.

But has anyone heard of the new "hidden feature" that they (Activision i presume) are suppose to be announcing?

bread's done
Back