guitar hero vs rockband

dchen5

CAGiversary!
which one is everyone going to get? also ....will the guitars on rockband work on guitar hero and vice versa? sorry if this has been answered in another thread. i tried the search and didnt get much.

I believe the GH guitars won't work on RB as they don't have the 5 lower buttons for the solos.

Not sure about the other way around.

Question doesn't apply to me as I don't have a 360 or PS3 yet, but I'd even if I did I'd probably still just pick up the PS2 version of GHIII as I already have 2 controllers and the first 2 games for it--so it's cheaper to just get the game only version.

Don't really care about better graphics, online play or overpriced DLC anyway. Rock Band I'd just skip as I don't want a third guitar controller cluttering up the room.

I could have sworn I heard GH controllers would work with RB. Obviously there will be some features you can't use, but it will get the job done, I'd think.

Could be, maybe the solo stuff is just optional? I thought I'd read it was required--i.e. some notes had to be played on those buttons.

Seems like it would be a pretty pointless feature otherwise.

I think that I'm going to stick with Guitar Hero... however... i wonder if the guitars from both GH and RB are interchangable... with RB, I don't want all that extra stuff.. plus GH can be just as fun.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Could be, maybe the solo stuff is just optional? I thought I'd read it was required--i.e. some notes had to be played on those buttons.

Seems like it would be a pretty pointless feature otherwise.[/QUOTE]

They are just duplicate buttons, and I do think they are optional. I don't see why a GH controller wouldn't work.

[quote name='Corvin']They are just duplicate buttons, and I do think they are optional. I don't see why a GH controller wouldn't work.[/QUOTE]

Guess just throw them in for the nerds on score hero that don't get enough challenge with just the 5 normal buttons then. :D

Pretty pointless IMO, as I'd never use them as the games are hard enough just using the top 5 buttons.

going to get rock band...soley because of the way red octane fucked me over on 2 guitars i ordered for the 360 thru there website.

[quote name='chodax']Kinda OT but does any one know if the PS3 guitar will be compatible with GH1 and 2?[/QUOTE]

There's a thread here (do an advance search for "guitar hero" under the PS3 forum) that addresses this.

Not sure of the last posting but it said it is fully compatable with II and only partially compatable with I and 80's. Sounds odd to have a partially compatable controller.

Because of that, I'm waiting it out for a conclusive verdict on the final release. If the PS3 guitar works with I, II, 80's and Rock Band, then the PS3 version is a no brainer, IMO. If there are partial issues with any of them, I'll opt for the 360 version for achievements and online play.

[quote name='chodax']Kinda OT but does any one know if the PS3 guitar will be compatible with GH1 and 2?[/quote]

http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=28298

1. Will the PS3 Les Paul controller work for the older Guitar Hero games (released on PS2)?

We suggest that you keep your PS2 console around as the new Les Paul controller will not have 100% functionality with older GH titles. (ie. star power and hammer on won't work properly). Below is the breakdown for the PS3 Les Paul tested with older PS2 GH titles. Note that the PS3 Les Paul wireless controller will only work on the PS3. The PS2 Kramer Striker wireless guitar will only work on the PS2.

GH1 (PS2) - 100% functionality
GH2 (PS2) - partial functionality
GH Encore (PS2) - partial functionality

I haven't seen anything on Rock Band's forums about compatibility, but if the GH controller can't pull it off, Harmonix probably can't do much better.

Rock Band's song list > Guitar Hero's

GH has good songs but it also has a lot of crap. Rock Band doesn't have one bad song yet, and plus the entire album downloads? Made of win.

They should re release GH I, II, and Encore on the 360, and ps3. Or.. they could make all the previous songs from Guitar Hero games, downloable - each song downloable, not by packs.

[quote name='red flare graf']Yeah, I really wish the 80's was on 360, at the least.[/quote]

For those that have modded 360's you can download modded versions of Guitar Hero that include all the songs from I, 80's, and other custom songs. Not sure the quality though until I play it tomorrow.

[quote name='guyver2077']why is everyone jumping on rock band instead of going for the veteran gh?[/quote]

Because, technically, it's old hat, and they're not going to do anything to further improve on the game. All that's been done has been done essentially, and now it's just new songs. Rock Band is actually offering new elements, and some very exciting ones at that. Not to mention a songlist packed full of songs people want badly to play.

My view has been that Harmonix created Guitar Hero and if I wanted more of that I would go with Rock Band seeing how Neversoft is doing GH. Honestly I will probably end up getting both as the difficulty for the guitar in Rock Band doesn't seem to be there but I will enjoy playing the drums, singing, and letting 3 other friends play along. Then when everyone leaves and I have a craving for some sweet solo action, I'll pop in GH3.

I'm sure I'll end up getting both, but I'm going with Rock Band first for a couple reasons: I don't want "boss battles" in my guitar game, Rock Band seems to have a better DLC future than GH3, and my friends seem more interested to play cooperatively with me using a different instrument.

I wonder if you can buy extra guitars with Guitar Hero... from day one.. cause I know I'm going to need one extra from the top.

[quote name='Yumemiru Hito']I'll be picking up both. But since GHIII has Bloc Party & Slayer I must admit I'm pretty excited for it.[/quote]

QFT

damn.. I need an extra guitar for PS3... I don't wanna rock by myself..
I like rockband, but I worry that perhaps its trying to do too much, and I know that I don't want to do any singing, and I'm not too sure about drums.. most people want to play the guitar anyway... but whose to say... I may pick it up, if the rockband guitar works with guitar hero and vice versa.

I want to get Rock Band but I don't want to buy the whole bundle, I already have 2 guitars. Any word on a drum/game bundle or just drum price?

I'll get both eventually, but I haven't decided which one to get first (probably won't get both this year). I like Rock Band in principle, but GHIII's soundtrack wins (3's and 7's :drool:).

I've yet to buy a Guitar Hero game, and plan on making my entrance with GH3. If they fix the backwards compatability issues, I might buy the originals.

$170 for Rock Band is more enticing than $200, but it's still $170 fuckin' dollars. That shouldn't be so bad by itself, but only 40 songs in the game? I can wait to see what people's opinions are, and also to see how horribly priced the DLC is (only because, knowing "Who's Next" and "Nevermind" are the first DLC albums, I won't be able to resist buying them if I own RB).

Almost twice as many songs on GHIII, plus 100% compatibility with Guitar Hero I (though not GHII or 80's, dangit) means I'll be picking up the PS3 version at launch. Then I can finally get rid of my "official PS3 Guitar Hero adapter" PS2.

Does anyone know if these guitars will use dongles? I have serious issues with dongles, as they are redundant. Sh it should just work with the bluetooth, otherwise wtf is the point of having it.
~S

just saw pics over at ps3fanboy.com. Looks like GH will use a dongle, much as I feared. If rockband doesn't use it, that will be teh deciding factor for me.
~S

I've heard a weird rumor that Rock Band and Guitar Hero only supports 2 players per system, for more, you need to have multiple systems or play online?

Can anyone confirm or deny?

[quote name='Vanigan']I've heard a weird rumor that Rock Band and Guitar Hero only supports 2 players per system, for more, you need to have multiple systems or play online?

Can anyone confirm or deny?[/quote]
Sounds fake from the get-go. Why would Rock Band only allow two people on one system?

[quote name='Vanigan']I've heard a weird rumor that Rock Band and Guitar Hero only supports 2 players per system, for more, you need to have multiple systems or play online?

Can anyone confirm or deny?[/quote]

False. I've played an offline 3 player session of Rock Band myself.

How do the RB peripherals hook up to the system? I'm wondering how that works w/ the 360 only having 2 USB ports, as well as the new 40GB PS3 only having 2 USB ports as well.

[quote name='mykevermin']How do the RB peripherals hook up to the system? I'm wondering how that works w/ the 360 only having 2 USB ports, as well as the new 40GB PS3 only having 2 USB ports as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it's going to have a hub for the controllers. I can't remember where I read that though.. Probably this thread somewhere.

EDIT: Joystiq says the 360 gets a hub. Doesn't really say about the PS3 though. And it doesn't say dongles or no dongles.. Sounds like no dongles, though.

[quote name='Joystiq']In the latest OXM Podcast, Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos confirms that the Xbox 360 guitars for Rock Band are wired in the bundles. There will be wired and wireless versions available for the Xbox 360, but once again, the retail bundles will come with a wired guitar. The PS3 guitars are all wireless. The Xbox 360 bundle will also come with a USB hub for all the peripherals to plug into. On both the Xbox 360 and PS3 version the microphone and drum kit will be wired. Rigopulos says, "The cost of wireless technology on the Microsoft side is higher and to be able to offer those bundles at a price point that would be reasonable for consumers it was necessary ... on the 360 side we are also bundling a hub."[/quote]

In the box, I hope. Never underestimate the power of getting you to buy additional things, of course.

EDIT: According to wiki, the PS3 version has no hub included in the box, while the 360 version does. Makes sense, of course, since until yesterday's 40GB PS3 announcement, all of the consoles had 4 USB ports. Way to go, Sony! :roll: I hope that console doesn't see the light of day in the United States.

does anyone know the ps3 wireless guitar will be powered? Is it through batteries or the same method that the ps3 controllers use?

bread's done
Back