Guitar Hero: World Tour - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='bardockkun']Whoa! Whoa! Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here! I know I've been the most critical of GH:WT, but Rock Band 2 dreams are far from perfect. There are still issues of wrong notes registering and or not registering at all. It's just the lesser of two evils in this case (since there are fix it yourself solutions and it's not as widespread as GH:WT's drums), so I can say on the whole drums issue you can wait a bit more.

Plus reading is far from experiencing it first hand.[/quote]

Heh Freudian much?
I think we all dream of a flawless plastic drumset, but both companies are still cutting corners. My biggest beef remains that double-bass hits are impossible, and neither has addressed this with either a higher quality bass pedal or superior solution: double-bass.

I expect GHWT drums should go through a few revisions, if they care at all for their customers.

[quote name='mav451']Heh Freudian much?
I think we all dream of a flawless plastic drumset, but both companies are still cutting corners. My biggest beef remains that double-bass hits are impossible, and neither has addressed this with either a higher quality bass pedal or superior solution: double-bass.

I expect GHWT drums should go through a few revisions, if they care at all for their customers.[/quote]
Hey, just get off work dammit and I'm tired. Besides that I HOPE Activision does release newer better versions of the drums and don't pull a Les Paul (let the people who already bought it worry about it). Other then that, the Ion Drums have a spot for two bass pedals if I remember hearing right and in anycase more for Rock Band 3 to strive for.

I think what annoys me, even more so than the interface, is the song selection screen. Give me some idea how difficult a song is, please.

Sad to hear reports coming in about the drums. I got the complete band kit pre-ordered and should be here on Tues. I'm really hoping it
goes well for me.

I have to say some of the small details about the gameplay/interface has me almost regretting my purchase. I will save my
final judgement till after it's in my hands and I get to try it myself.

[quote name='seanr1221']Oops, I forgot to post my simple mod to prevent the cymbals from moving downward.

[/quote]

Shit looks hot, I'll definitely be doing this when my kit comes in.

[quote name='seanr1221']Oops, I forgot to post my simple mod to prevent the cymbals from moving downward.

[/quote]
Nice and curious, how hard and where do you hit your cymbals then? Since for those few hours that they "worked," me and my friend had to hit them dead center at about same velocity it would take to register a Rock Band drum hit.

Before the mod, I could hit them anywhere with a little more force.

After I can hit them anywhere with little to no force.

I can make a video if you guys want...just not till tomorrow night because I'm really tired.

God I love the Ion drum kit so much. Guys, if you love playing these games, just do yourself a favor and buy the damn Ion drum kit.

[quote name='seanr1221']I think what annoys me, even more so than the interface, is the song selection screen. Give me some idea how difficult a song is, please.[/quote]
None of the other GH games did this as you probably are already aware, just went by tier numbers. Doesn't rock band show difficulty? And if you're playing on expert, the songs don't really get tough until you reach the venue with BYOB, Motorhead, etc.

Glad I rented this though...way too many chords in this game for me. They recaptured the gameplay mechanics of GH2, but somehow forgot about the solos.

[quote name='wcraigw']I really hate the menus.[/quote]

I echo this sentiment. I think GH has gone way beyond "artsy" and has passed into "chincy". I've heard people call RB2's menu structure boring, but I think they totally went for the "music catalogue" feel, and nailed it. Really, I bought GH:WT for the songs. The recording studio mode is ok...not anywhere near as great as they made it out to be. Creating cheap ass midi songs with horrible sounding electric guitars might be "neat", but I can't see it having a lasting appeal.

In all honesty, the two coolest things this game did was having the celebrity guest performers (I really just got a cool feeling "performing" with Billy Corgan) and letting you completely design and customize your instruments. I spent over an hour just screwing around with guitar designs. You can really make some bad ass looking axes! Other than that, Rock Band beats the pants off this game.

I'm still angry over the Red Octane/Harmonix breakup. As many have said, one makes incredible instruments (well, guitars anyway...but with better R&D, the drums could be great too) and the other, an amazing gameplay experience. But they had to go through a messy divorce, and the fans are the children stuck in the middle.

[quote name='grndoom']None of the other GH games did this as you probably are already aware, just went by tier numbers. Doesn't rock band show difficulty? And if you're playing on expert, the songs don't really get tough until you reach the venue with BYOB, Motorhead, etc.

Glad I rented this though...way too many chords in this game for me. They recaptured the gameplay mechanics of GH2, but somehow forgot about the solos.[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm missing something, they don't even do the tier thing anymore, songs are just listed in a row from least to most difficult.

Well, after just a single day and not playing the drums as much as the guitar, my yellow pad hit the crapper. I contacted Activision after many run arounds all over the technical support site. "Hit the pads harder" was my favorite line of theirs. How about having to hit the yellow pad like a madman with both sticks and it still barely registers?

I wonder how this whole process will be and how long it will take. My other drum pads are fine and even passed my little tap test. I barely tap them and they register, so good stuff. Except this yellow pad.

[quote name='seanr1221']My GH drums work perfect. I don't have to hit the cymbals dead on, extremely hard or any of that nonsense. There's no cross registering between the pads either. My only complaint is the cymbals drop lower while playing (from hitting on them) but a small piece of plastic tube can fix that.

The drums work great in RB (The main reason I got them). I mostly got the pack for the instruments, but GH:WT will be a nice little add on to play when Im bored of RB.

I hope most of the negative talk this is getting on message boards isn't from biased RB fanboys :| I'm a huge RB fan myself, but I have no complaints about my instruments.[/quote]

I agree. I haven't had a chance to play much but so far no problem with the drums for me. I don't think I'm a fanboy of either product but I definitely prefer RB but I'm still very happy with my GH purchase.

It does take a little while to get the hang of all the layout of the notes on the highway and how they compare to the 2 levels of drum pads, but I think that's half the fun.

All I can say is I was afraid my friends would hate the new drums on RB and GH, but my friend's wife played drums on RB with the new kit and got the hang of it after 1 song.

I do think it would be cool to see a patch so we could use the cymbals on RB.

[quote name='seanr1221']Keep us updated with how they handle it. Have you ever had to send in an instrument with RB?[/quote]

Holy :censored: It has already been a nightmare. First when you click on their warranty links, Activition sends you to Red Octane site. Then if you have a problem with the yellow pad, like I have, it comes to a dead end with a message stating to email Activition.

All right... So I do that. I get a fast response. Then they ask for the serial number underneath one of my batteries. Done. Now after I do that, I get this message -

"Please refer to Red Octane's site for hardware replacement/exchange information. Activision cannot provide any replacement equipment or software for this product.

Red Octane's Support page
http://www.redoctanegames.com/Warranty/
Once there please click on the appropriate warranty link based on where you purchased the game.

Please note that Red Octane will not do replacements for items that are out of warranty or that do not have a copy of the sales receipt."

I tell them about the loop and how it tells me to email them. I get a reply stating - "Oh, we apologize for that, please try again in a day or two. Red Octane is most likely doing some updates to their site. Sorry for the inconvenience."

And yes, to Rock Band instruments. I have had to exchange 2 Strats that were broken. The one that came with my bundle strum bar died a few months in, then the one they sent me had a broken red fret which was always on. I sent that one back for another. I wish it was like EA's because at least I got real answers and quick.

Now the waiting game begins...

Edit - I just sent an offline message to their liveperson thingy on their website stating my problem. Have to go to work now and hopefully everything will be resolved by then?

Ugh, what a disappointment. I'm not even an RB guy and I'm just turned off by this game. First, the interface is atrocious. It's ugly, cluttered and confusing. Way too much loading and options with sub options with sub sub options with.....just yeah. Just going to what they call "quick play" isn't even quick. The song selection is okay.

Plus, my guitar is all jacked up. It doesn't recognize when I strum down, only when I strum up. So, obviously, this is annoying when playing and makes goign through menus nearly impossible.

Oh, and the slide bar isn't anywhere near as interesting as I thought it would be.

The only saving graces are Tool (I'ma die hard fan) and the guest appearances by Jimi, Ozzy, Zakk and Ted. But even these don't save the game. It's going back. I might get RB2.

[quote name='mykevermin']Wow.

You know what, though? This'll still outsell Rock Band 2 before mid-November.[/quote]

That's the sad part. I went into GameStop to buy some PS3 cables the other day and some guy was picking up the full set. The 2 GameStop clerks were both already on GH:WT's cock heavy, saying that it was going to be better than Rock Band 2 (and they hadn't even played it).

While we're all griping about the game's interface, one thing that aggravated the shit out of me in my first sitdown with the game: pushing the Y button to "add a letter" when entering text. This is the most unnatural and counterintuitive thing I've ever seen! In almost every other game in the history of life, you press A to enter a letter, and when you're done typing, you press START.

How freaking difficult is that Neversoft??? I don't know how many times I would press A out of habit/instinct/common sense, and it would "lock in" my text. This is a minor thing, but entering text just took way longer than it should have (not to mention using an NES era scrolly wheel to select your letter), which in turn, became annoying as hell.

[quote name='lolwut?']That's the sad part. I went into GameStop to buy some PS3 cables the other day and some guy was picking up the full set. The 2 GameStop clerks were both already on GH:WT's cock heavy, saying that it was going to be better than Rock Band 2 (and they hadn't even played it).[/quote]

Strange, as at my gamestop they chant Rock Band 2 the whole time.

[quote name='Se7en69']Holy :censored: It has already been a nightmare. First when you click on their warranty links, Activition sends you to Red Octane site. Then if you have a problem with the yellow pad, like I have, it comes to a dead end with a message stating to email Activition.

All right... So I do that. I get a fast response. Then they ask for the serial number underneath one of my batteries. Done. Now after I do that, I get this message -

"Please refer to Red Octane's site for hardware replacement/exchange information. Activision cannot provide any replacement equipment or software for this product.

Red Octane's Support page
http://www.redoctanegames.com/Warranty/
Once there please click on the appropriate warranty link based on where you purchased the game.

Please note that Red Octane will not do replacements for items that are out of warranty or that do not have a copy of the sales receipt."

I tell them about the loop and how it tells me to email them. I get a reply stating - "Oh, we apologize for that, please try again in a day or two. Red Octane is most likely doing some updates to their site. Sorry for the inconvenience."

And yes, to Rock Band instruments. I have had to exchange 2 Strats that were broken. The one that came with my bundle strum bar died a few months in, then the one they sent me had a broken red fret which was always on. I sent that one back for another. I wish it was like EA's because at least I got real answers and quick.

Now the waiting game begins...

Edit - I just sent an offline message to their liveperson thingy on their website stating my problem. Have to go to work now and hopefully everything will be resolved by then?[/quote]

I just went and filed for a warranty repair... still waiting to hear back though.

Played some WT last night at a friend's place. The on-disc songs shit on RB2's on-disc songs from such a great height that it approaches infinity. Interface definitely sucks, though. But the songs are really the key, and like I said, they are much, much better. Charting is good, too.

well i may have spoke too soon, looks like there might be something wrong with my red drum pad. doesnt seem to register all hits, its very apparant when youre playing fast songs. i know im not going to want to deal with this...

[quote name='evanft']Played some WT last night at a friend's place. The on-disc songs shit on RB2's on-disc songs from such a great height that it approaches infinity. Interface definitely sucks, though. But the songs are really the key, and like I said, they are much, much better. Charting is good, too.[/quote]

A bunch of the songs from RB2 are on WT. I can only think of like 10 other good songs besides those ones. I really don't know what you're talking about.

[quote name='mykevermin']Wow.

You know what, though? This'll still outsell Rock Band 2 before mid-November.[/QUOTE]

to hell it will. i'll keep buying more copies of rock band 2 because it's a far superior product. guitar hero went to hell with this game. i was a guitar hero fanboy but i just can't hold any excitement for a series that has been murdered

:lol:

I'm not making this remark from any 'fanboy' standpoint. I'm making a prediction based on brand recognition - and the fact that GH:WT is selling guitar/software packs unlike RB, so there's a lower pricepoint to enter for those mindless masses who aren't aware that GH:WT lets you play drums and sing, and they'll just buy the new one like they did the old ones.

Put your passions aside, and you'll see that there's no way RB2 outsells World Tour.

You know what? I'll make an even bolder prediction: Guitar Hero: World Tour will outsell Rock Band 2 (LTD) in its first week of release.

It's bolder in several ways, even!

Everyone should check the touchpad on their guitars. I decided to see if all the notes register, and my yellow is completely dead :whistle2:| Not sure if it's worth going out and exchanging for a new one.

My red pad has to be hit a little harder than the others to register. And my right cymbal just plain misses hits unless you hit it very hard dead center - which completely ruins the illusion of playing a cymbal. Even then, I miss a hit every now and then. From the sound of the forums, this is going to turn into a mess for Activision. They need to release a statement and solution soon.

[quote name='seanr1221']Everyone should check the touchpad on their guitars. I decided to see if all the notes register, and my yellow is completely dead :whistle2:| Not sure if it's worth going out and exchanging for a new one.[/QUOTE]

my touchpad is fine, but its awkward to switch back and forth, so i just hit the normal buttons during those parts. maybe ill get used to it with some practice.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I spent over an hour just screwing around with guitar designs. You can really make some bad ass looking axes![/QUOTE]
Are instruments more customizable than in RB? Like can you do more besides add art?

Yeah, Courageous.
First you choose the guitar body, add a finish and some graphics (if you'd like).
After that you can choose the neck, knobs, head, and even strings.

The customization in the game is alot broader than Rock Band's.

Dumb question, but how the hell do I activate starpower using the RB drums? I thought it was the 2 middle pads (yellow & blue), but either that's not right or I'm doing it wrong. I've only been able to successfully activate it during the solo sections (and usually then I have no idea what triggered it). I'd really appreciate the info!

Wow...

I had no idea GHWT would go down like this...

Glad I chose the RB route. Is the game alone worth getting? Hearing about load times scares me.

[quote name='Trakan']A bunch of the songs from RB2 are on WT. I can only think of like 10 other good songs besides those ones. I really don't know what you're talking about.[/quote]

A lot of the shared songs suck ass. Everlong, Feel the Pain, Float On, Lazy Eye, and One Way or Another are all dog-shit in either game. Ramblin' Man is actually better in GHWT.

I'm talking about the songs that people with vaginas full of sand wouldn't like. Tool, Ozzy, Satch, Hendrix, Ted Nugent, ATDI, Michael Jackson, The Mars Volta, Van Halen, Bob Seger, and Muse are all pretty fantastic. That's 15 off the top of my head, and most of those I would switch out with many of the songs in Rock Band 2. I mean, at least like 25 of the non-crossover songs in RB2 could go and I would never miss them. The amount of suck wasn't nearly as high in the songs I played in GHWT.

[quote name='evanft']A lot of the shared songs suck ass. Everlong, Feel the Pain, Float On, Lazy Eye, and One Way or Another are all dog-shit in either game. Ramblin' Man is actually better in GHWT.

I'm talking about the songs that people with vaginas full of sand wouldn't like. Tool, Ozzy, Satch, Hendrix, Ted Nugent, ATDI, Michael Jackson, The Mars Volta, Van Halen, Bob Seger, and Muse are all pretty fantastic. That's 15 off the top of my head, and most of those I would switch out with many of the songs in Rock Band 2. I mean, at least like 25 of the non-crossover songs in RB2 could go and I would never miss them. The amount of suck wasn't nearly as high in the songs I played in GHWT.[/quote]

One Armed Scissor is the main reason it's going to be a bitch for me not to open the game. Both tracklists are great though.

EDIT: And Santeria. I may have to open it to make sure my Guitar works though.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Is there a way to see if your touchpad is functioning in Rock Band? I'm not opening the game, just want the guitar.[/quote]
Nope, doesn't work with Rock Band.

[quote name='evanft']A lot of the shared songs suck ass. Everlong, Feel the Pain, Float On, Lazy Eye, and One Way or Another are all dog-shit in either game. Ramblin' Man is actually better in GHWT.[/quote]

Blasphemy! How dare you talk about Everlong that way!

bread's done
Back