Guitar?

naes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
I'm looking for a good deal on an electric guitar. I don't want to spend a lot, seeing as I'm a beginner, but I would like a decent guitar. I've found a few good deals on Fender Squires, but I'm open to all options. I'd prefer it to come with everything I need to start playing.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='luan87us']I'm trying to sell my guitar/amp set. CML to see them. Price can be negotiable.[/quote]
A bit too much for me, sorry.

[quote name='naes']A bit too much for me, sorry.[/quote]
as I said price can be negotiable. Make me a reasonable offer.

[quote name='luan87us']as I said price can be negotiable. Make me a reasonable offer.[/quote]
I was hoping to spend $300 max, which I don't think you'll take.

check into yamaha guitars... i've been playing them for over 17yrs and love them the only thing i'd play over a yamaha would be a made in usa fender strat... btw it depends also on which you'd prefer.. acoustic or electric.. take a peek at www.musiciansfriend.com and look through their scratch and dent and bstock items.. like it or not you're eventually going to scratch and or dent your guitar.. as long as it doesn't affect the tone/playing you'll be fine.. just don't don't get it cracked.. a scratch or dent is fine...

It's a good pack yes.. note that the number of frets will make a difference depending on what you're wanting to play.. alot of metal makes use of the 24 fret setup.. (Look at a Ibanez or ESP neck to see what i mean) the fret package on that neck is normally used in rock, country, blues.. most fenders have either the 21 or 22 fret setup depending on the model.. but at any rate a simple yes will do for your answer ;-)

btw have you tried looking at local stores or pawn shops?.. you'll sometimes find really good deals in your local mom 'n' pop shops on packaged deals

naes I wouldn't buy those starter packs unless you're going to do some adjustment after buying it (Buy new pick up, better string, etc...) I used to think those starter pack will do but they really made it harder to play. Pay some decent and get guitar/amp separately. You can buy a cheap amp for starting but I would buy a decent guitar. With $300 you can get something really good. Check out Guitarcenter.com or go to their local store if they have one where you live you might find really good deal on some of their clearance guitars. Try to find good deals on Ibanez, Epiphone, Fender (not usa ones), Gibsons (may be will be too much).

squiers is like really low quality line of guitars. They're crap. A decent guitar around 250-300 would be good for beginner and it will still be alright after you get advanced. amp really doesn't matter much since you're a beginer you prolly won't need all that fancy things $500 would do so just buy an amp with enough feature for a beginer. I personally don't like amp with built in distortion they wont' give you give distortion unless you really crank it up. but if you're looking to save try like small 10watt amps for starting they shoudn't be more than $150. there are some good GE amps out there for cheap.

This is a good guitar for a generous price.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar-100001870-i1149986.gc
The best part is that if you decide you don't like guitar after a few weeks/months, you won't have spent a lot. And if you do like playing, you've still got a quality guitar in your hands. Besides, you can always upgrade to regular Epiphone LP Standard or the Gibson LP later on, but this should last you a good long while and give you a chance to decide if you want to stick with playing.

Oh yeah, the strings that come with it do not do the guitar justice, I recommend switching them out as soon as you pull the guitar out.

[quote name='grndoom']This is a good guitar for a generous price.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar-100001870-i1149986.gc
The best part is that if you decide you don't like guitar after a few weeks/months, you won't have spent a lot. And if you do like playing, you've still got a quality guitar in your hands. Besides, you can always upgrade to regular Epiphone LP Standard or the Gibson LP later on, but this should last you a good long while and give you a chance to decide if you want to stick with playing.

Oh yeah, the strings that come with it do not do the guitar justice, I recommend switching them out as soon as you pull the guitar out.[/quote]
yeah man that guitar isn't bad for that price. It has 2 humbuckers pickup which is better for punk/rock music i think. ANd it has rosewood neck not bad o.o.

[quote name='grndoom']This is a good guitar for a generous price.http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar-100001870-i1149986.gc

Oh yeah, the strings that come with it do not do the guitar justice, I recommend switching them out as soon as you pull the guitar out.[/quote]

GET THIS. I've been playing around with this thing for a few months and it's awesome. My cable stopped working and the strings suck, but you're only looking at around $20 to replace those, so no biggie.

Don't listen to other people. a squier is an excellent beginner guitar. They are perfect for beginners and no they do not suck. At the begginer level you don't really need a great guitar and you won't be able to tell the difference in performance unless it's a really shitty guitar compared to a godly one. I'm not a big fan of Sg's but they are also good for beginners (look around sam ash stores because they sell SG packs for around $240ish (somewhere around there).

Also the humbuckers on the Epiphone SG aren't even that good so I wouldn't consider the sound quality much above the Squier.

If you can play it and you fiddle around with your amp setting then sure why not. Same thing goes for every guitar unless it involves a special affect like a wah wah pedal or alot of distortion

Best quality guitars at an entry-level price? Those would be Xaviere, SX, and Agile.

www.guitarfetish.com
www.rondomusic.com

Check out what people have to say at Harmony Central. I've personally dealt with both companies and give them my highest possible recommendation. Customer service from both both head guys--Jay at GF and Kurt at Rondo--are top notch; expect personal replies if you email with any questions.

As for Squier and Epiphone, they've both come a long, long way over the last ten years. Both have not yet shed their reputation as the plywood crap they were throughout the 80's and 90's. I bought a Squier Telecaster in '05 and an Epiphone Dot last month, and they're both excellent, quality guitars for the money. Remember, you're not gonna get handmade in the USA quality with any sub-$500 guitar, but for what you pay, Squier, Epi, Xaviere, SX, and Agile are quality instruments.

I started on an epiphone sg special and never had a problem with it. But for metal, nothing is gonna beat an Ibanez with some EMGs in it.

If you like to play metal, look for guitars equipped with emg humbuckers they have some bite, at your beginner level do not look for active humbuckers, look for the passive ones, they sound just as good and will give you alot less of a headache as you learn how to play. Ibanez/esp are definently great in this category!

If your a classic rock/blues kinda guy look for guitars equipped with humbuckers of the classic nature 57classic is my fav /alnico V is a cheaper one and found on cheaper guitars but you can always upgrade later. SG's are wonderfull guitars and your hands and shoulders will benefit with it's easier playability and light weight and dirty cutthrough tones that make classic rock what it is, it is probably one of the best to learn on, and one you will keep as you get better. Epiphone makes good guitars for this SG's & lespauls, solid construction, proven tones and reliability just a little cheaper inlays and volume pots, but at your beginner level those things don't really matter, it just needs to be a REAL guitar, and epiphones are, those fender squiers are beginner guitars at best and you will quickly outgrow or get frustrated with it.

Although I am not a fender fan, there are many many who are, and I respect the guitar and those who play it, if it's good enough for Jimmi, it's good enough for everyone else.

No matter which guitar you get, play, practice and practice some more, it's not easy or everyone would do it!

bread's done
Back