H.264 compatibility for the PS3 soon?

gamerpro4000

CAGiversary!
Sorry for starting this thread for the ones who don't care. But i hope this article is a step closer to where ps3s can play MKV directly to the television on its own. If so, I'll be watching anime on my 52 inch LCD tv screen and the PS3 will be the perfect console for me because im a big fan of video games and anime.
cebollita_animated_onion-20.gif
MUAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Here is the article.

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/04/17/h-246-encoder-coming-to-ps3/

H.264 and mkv compatibility are two separate things. The PS3 can play h.264 video right now - that's what I have most of my videos in...

Yeah MKV is just the container

PS3 can already decode H264. Just change the container of your MKV animes to MPEG with MKV2VOB.

It takes like 2 seconds. The problem is the seperate audio and video. MKV2VOB will mux 'em into an MPEG (without transcoding, so no loss of quality) and even split them at the 4gb mark if you need.

to dream the impossible dream. i still hope they fix it where the ps3 can play all video formats. like you i have anime in various formats and i want to be able to watch them on tv. still you can find alot of anime up on megavideo and it plays on the ps3.

[quote name='HowStern']Yeah MKV is just the container

PS3 can already decode H264. Just change the container of your MKV animes to MPEG with MKV2VOB.

It takes like 2 seconds. The problem is the seperate audio and video. MKV2VOB will mux 'em into an MPEG (without transcoding, so no loss of quality) and even split them at the 4gb mark if you need.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. If i use the program and convert the MKV to a VOB file, do i have to stream the video file directly to my ps3 through internet connection (my wireless internet connection is pretty weak) or can i just copy the VOB file on a flash drive and play it directly on my ps3 through USB?

^just copy to flash drive

go to the configuration tab on MKV2VOB and leave everything as it is except "File Splitting" switch that to whatever size your flash drive is so it will fit on your drive.

don't go bigger than 4gbfat32 though if you have like a 8 or 16gb flash drive since PS3 is FAT32

bread's done
Back