H&R block tax services fees are insane

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
went over there tonight and almost shit myself when they go

Your taxes are done. That will be 325 bucks

325 bucks to do taxes WTF

did you not ask how much it would be before hand?...and it really is just alot easier to do it yourself with turbo tax

[quote name='slidecage']went over there tonight and almost shit myself when they go

325 bucks to do taxes WTF[/quote]

Well, how complex are your taxes, and are you getting a nice refund? Do you have alot to itemize? Do they offer audit protection? If you have a refund coming, do they do one of those advance loans?

I have always done my taxes myself (I have been using Taxcut for ten years now). But $325 is still a lot of money.

[quote name='slidecage']went over there tonight and almost shit myself when they go

325 bucks to do taxes WTF[/QUOTE]

They saw your desperate, gullible ass coming, that's WTF.

My wife and I had both our taxes done, with much more than just a standard 1040, and it was $245, if I remember right.

Which was less than the last time I had H&R Block do my taxes a number of years ago.

Did they make you sign anything? I'd walk out without paying and just request replacement W-2s from my jobs and what not...Hey, it could work

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']yea i often buy goods and services at stores without asking prices. Its always a neat surprise at the register.[/quote]

:rofl:

but seriously use software next time. taxcut, turbotax, taxact..

[quote name='shrike4242']When hasn't he pwned himself, anyway? :whistle2:s[/quote]

True enough. It's just astounding that he chooses to tell us about it.

I've been using H&R Block for the past 5 years. It is now double the amount I originally paid (about $30) filing online (it cost me $79). Now thats alot less than the numbers most ppl have been quoting but when you're only getting a $215 refund thats friggin alot. Next year I might just do it myself via snail mail.

325 bucks to do taxes WTF[/quote]

325 BUCKS!!! WTF?!!?!?

What a fucking rip off. The highest I paid once was 80 bucks. After that it's turbo tax software for me!. It usually goes on sale around this time with some cool deals like free memory sticks, CD's and so on. Check your sales paper from time to time.

[quote name='ITDEFX']325 BUCKS!!! WTF?!!?!?

What a fucking rip off. The highest I paid once was 80 bucks. After that it's turbo tax software for me!. It usually goes on sale around this time with some cool deals like free memory sticks, CD's and so on. Check your sales paper from time to time.[/quote]

I spent $70 on the full-super version of TaxCut for the free e-filing. ($20 for fed, $20 for state, so that is $40 of the price right there.)

It comes with H&R advice and contacts if I have questions. Plus, I save the receipt and claim it on next year's taxes when I itemize.

I really hope Slide wasn't doing the 1040ez, or whatever they call it these days...

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']yea i often buy goods and services at stores without asking prices. Its always a neat surprise at the register.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Good Stuff.

Old guy with a cardigan sweater (probably a pipe in the pocket) - $75 total. Just drop the W2 off at his office & a couple weeks later I have refunds twice as much as they were when I used to do it myself with Telefile.

Old guys rule.

If you find a good accountant ,they can usually find thing you never would have found.Can be worth their fee for the extra money back, though even they don't usually charge $325.:roll:

[quote name='PlumeNoir']I spent $70 on the full-super version of TaxCut for the free e-filing. ($20 for fed, $20 for state, so that is $40 of the price right there.)

It comes with H&R advice and contacts if I have questions. Plus, I save the receipt and claim it on next year's taxes when I itemize.

I really hope Slide wasn't doing the 1040ez, or whatever they call it these days...[/quote]

ack I didn't know you could claim the software on next years taxes :wall:

I wish i could find the article, but i had read something that talked about places like H & R Block. The people they hire aren't necessarily even accountants. They may be "tax preparers," which essentially means they have little to no training. Plus, since H & R block does franchise stores, some of them outsource tax preparing to other accountants, sometimes even over seas. So you may go to them to have your taxes done, but they may be prepared by someone in India.

Computers are the wave of the future!

However my mom uses some survive and it cost $100-$150 but he gets her a few hundred more dollars than normal so it's worth it.

[quote name='crushtopher']Did they make you sign anything? I'd walk out without paying and just request replacement W-2s from my jobs and what not...Hey, it could work[/quote]You sign a client service agreement before you start but that just tells you about the services H & R offers. You are free to pick up your shit and leave at any time.

[quote name='JolietJake']I wish i could find the article, but i had read something that talked about places like H & R Block. The people they hire aren't necessarily even accountants. They may be "tax preparers," which essentially means they have little to no training. Plus, since H & R block does franchise stores, some of them outsource tax preparing to other accountants, sometimes even over seas. So you may go to them to have your taxes done, but they may be prepared by someone in India.[/quote]Of course they are not accountants. You have to be a shitty accountant to be working at HR. I don't know how it is in other states but in California they have to have over 90 hours of training to get your CTEC license. Only a small amount of H & R blocks are franchised out, and those that are are in very small market areas like El Centro, CA also there is no way that those places outsource tax preparing.

[quote name='DT778']You sign a client service agreement before you start but that just tells you about the services H & R offers. You are free to pick up your shit and leave at any time.

Of course they are not accountants. You have to be a shitty accountant to be working at HR. I don't know how it is in other states but in California they have to have over 90 hours of training to get your CTEC license. Only a small amount of H & R blocks are franchised out, and those that are are in very small market areas like El Centro, CA also there is no way that those places outsource tax preparing.[/quote]I don't know personally, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I also remember it saying that they did not have to inform the customer that they didn't personally prepare the forms, so you'd never know without asking.

[quote name='JolietJake']I don't know personally, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I also remember it saying that they did not have to inform the customer that they didn't personally prepare the forms, so you'd never know without asking.[/quote]You're sitting at the same desk as the tax preparer as they do your taxes.

Two years ago, a friend of mine worked at H&R Block as a "tax preparer". They let her prepare some of her friends and families' taxes free of charge. When I went in to have my taxes done, I noticed that she was just punching in numbers into the computer. She was essentially using H&R's version of Taxcut, Turbo Tax, etc.

She told me that she wasn't going to be allowed to return the next year. It seems that a customer had problems with their tax return and they went in to complain. The office couldn't find their return. It turns out that the manager and a senior employee were doing tax returns on their own and pocketing the money. They didn't know if any of the other employees were involved, so they weren't going to ask anybody back.

H&R Block is a RIPOFF! I know for a fact anyone can go to their Tax preparers school that usually starts in early September, complete their course, and be doing your taxes by the next tax season...that's kind of scary!

I have a complicated tax return every year because of income from investment property etc. and I've been using the same CPA for 10 plus years and he only charges me $185 for mine. I would try to find a CPA who knows the tax codes, and would get to know your financial situation on a personal basis, while handling your taxes year after year for around the same fee with no big surprises. Having a CPA also has the added benefit of personal tax advice all year long if you need it.

i used Tax Act last year - and will probably do the same this year.

I went through the motions with TaxCut/TurboTax and made sure the numbers matched for each one (since you dont pay until you submit to Fed on either one), then used TaxAct. Think it was like $15 or $20 total for both Fed/State efiling.

Are you running a business or something? (I hope not)

Taxes aren't that hard to do, especially when they have computer programs to do it all for you.

You could've bought like 10 years worth of TurboTax for that money.

[quote name='PlumeNoir']I spent $70 on the full-super version of TaxCut for the free e-filing. ($20 for fed, $20 for state, so that is $40 of the price right there.)
[/quote]

Same here, plus I got the added bonus of a free DVD to the value of $20 from BB (I got Sunshine) when I bought my tax software.

Much better than the $90 H&R Block charged me last year, considering my tax return is about as simple as it can get.

Damn it Slidecage, you're not suppose to pay for being beat up by H&R Block. And I bought games from you b4. You could have used that $$$$$ for a PS3.

[quote name='Jedi1979']did you not ask how much it would be before hand?...and it really is just alot easier to do it yourself with turbo tax[/QUOTE]

I have been using turbo tax for 4 years now.

I had a coupon for H&R block nd figured with the audit "protection" maybe I would give H&R another shot. If it ran $200 and I got it done rather quickly then it might be worth it.

The thing is they don't quote before you go in, they simply will not quote you a price as it "depends on what all you have done".

They do give you the option of not filing with them once they have worked it up though.

The thing about H&R is they use the taxcut software I assume so there is no real advantage. If I was to have someone do them it would be a local accounting office, not H&R unless it was strictly for the audit protection, now Taxcut offers that as well.

So again a no brainer.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']They saw your desperate, gullible ass coming, that's WTF.[/quote]

LOL!

slidecage, you should try out turbotax or taxcut because they really are user friendly.

slide is on here all the time. it has been more than a day since he posted this with no reply. Either he is embarresed or it never happened and he just got all us to read this and is sitting back and laughing at us.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']yea i often buy goods and services at stores without asking prices. Its always a neat surprise at the register.[/QUOTE]

go to any tax place and they will tell you ,

THEY can not give you a price until the taxes are figured

I figured around 200 to 250 since my grandfather does the same it and it cost them that

my mother had the basic forms and it cost here 180

I owe Feds 254 bucks and state 18 bucks

not bad figuring i made around 33 k on a parttime job and not payin taxes out of that cash

nice thing is next year i do get to write it off.... Funny thing the person doing the taxes had no clue how to do the entire stock loss carry over or the business papers and they had to get another person to finish up my taxes

I will probally try a home pc program next year. this year i just have an older pc and i wasnt sure how i would handle carring over stock losses and other write offs

i got like a basic forms but then i got stock stuff, cd stuff and business stuff i need to file. I think all of the business forms jacked up the price.

bread's done
Back