img2448k.jpg

img2451.jpg

img2453u.jpg

img2458o.jpg

img2463y.jpg

img2465l.jpg

img2466uw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey you can now do some of what I have always been able to do on a PC. Congratulations! Also enjoy not playing 90% of the games I have on steam without running boot camp.

And feel free to join in the troll feeding with me. It's kind of fun. But not really.

I gotta be honest, what possible reason could you have to run OSX? My sister and an old roommate of mine both used it, and anytime either of them want to do half the stuff I routinely do (like play most games :D) they have to boot into Windows. Seems to me you could remove and step there and just use Windows. I've yet to see any software that's Mac only that gives me any real reason to want to use it.

EDIT: Also, for the record, I'd like to state I have nothing against Macs and Mac users. It's your choice. I just see no reason to use a Mac. Steve Jobs on the other hand, I'd love to see him go dunk his head in a vat of acid, the pretentious jerkoff.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I gotta be honest, what possible reason could you have to run OSX? My sister and an old roommate of mine both used it, and anytime either of them want to do half the stuff I routinely do (like play most games :D) they have to boot into Windows. Seems to me you could remove and step there and just use Windows. I've yet to see any software that's Mac only that gives me any real reason to want to use it.

EDIT: Also, for the record, I'd like to state I have nothing against Macs and Mac users. It's your choice. I just see no reason to use a Mac. Steve Jobs on the other hand, I'd love to see him go dunk his head in a vat of acid, the pretentious jerkoff.[/QUOTE]
I have a hackintosh, too. It's the best of both worlds. I can play games on Windows and do real work in OS X. I have my reasons for not wanting to use Windows but the most prominent among them is the fact that I *never* have to worry about viruses when using OS X. I know how to be safe using Windows but I'd prefer not to have to think about it.

I also greatly prefer the way OS X handles windows and the uniformity of the UI throughout my most used applications. The way text is handled, for example, is much better. Mouse acceleration, also much better. Expose is a boon to modern windowing. The list of niceties in OS X goes on and on. I'm much more productive using OS X. Anyway, I don't want to get into a flamewar about this. Hackintoshes are awesome, not least for the sheer sense of accomplishment.

For the record, I'm running a Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2 ghz, Radeon HD 4890, 6 gigs of RAM and 3-1 TB hard drives. It's the best Mac I've ever owned. :)

I'm an Art Director for an advertising agency... sorry but Final Cut does not run on windows...
CS5 and Cinama 4D run much better in OSX.

:roll:

For doing actual work Mac > PC

I have a second HD on the way for Windows 7 (Goofing off on steam)

ive never been able to get OSX to run properly on my system. i can install it and boot into it, but it doesnt like some of my hardware. havent tried in about 6 months though, so maybe its possible now. when i built this PC i bought an 80gb hdd for the sole purpose of running other operating systems off it. i had ubuntu on there for a bit, but i never really used it. i wouldnt use osx much either, but id probably boot into it every now and then for fun.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ive never been able to get OSX to run properly on my system. i can install it and boot into it, but it doesnt like some of my hardware. havent tried in about 6 months though, so maybe its possible now. when i built this PC i bought an 80gb hdd for the sole purpose of running other operating systems off it. i had ubuntu on there for a bit, but i never really used it. i wouldnt use osx much either, but id probably boot into it every now and then for fun.[/QUOTE]

I bought 100% compatible hardware.

Most Gigabyte P55 motherboards (i5 / i7) work great.

Nividia cards work better than ATI cards.

Install is almost as easy as on a real mac, you just need a boot CD to load the installer CD and Bam, Instant OSX.

Wow look, a computer, that's raelly intrestnig hurrrr.

[quote name='Kenrik']CS5 and Cinama 4D run much better in OSX.[/quote]
Uh huh. You got some benchmarks for that, son? You see there is this thing called "hardware" (I understand you are apparently a Mac OS user, and as such, are likely conditioned to believe that computers like Macs run on pure magic or something, and less familiar with this kind of technical stuff) that actually can have a lot more of an effect on software performance than the OS.

For doing actual work Mac > PC
BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, Photoshop, that's the realest real work in the world right there.

BRB, crunching astronomical datasets on a massively distributed parallel Linux network.

I also like doing such "work" on a system that by default is built for more than one mouse button, but hey, that's just me.

LOL @ actual work Mac > PC. What in the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Screw OSX though, I'll take Linux over it for the sheer awesomeness of open source software. Guess what, no viruses either lolz.

[quote name='Kenrik']it's the trooff!! u sux at the interweb.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that you can pick up viruses on OSX and even linux right? The only thing that stops it is that there aren't any in the wild.

I'm not trying to dis the OP in any way either, infact I welcome anyone breaking the closed nature of OSX.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. One of the biggest reasons OSX runs so well is that it's only installed on a narrow range of hardware. Steve Jobs would go catatonic if people expected to run OSX on some of the crappy hardware I've seen Windows XP run on.

Also, do OSX and Linux users run anti-virus programs? If not, then actually those OS's could catch a virus easier than Windows (if people created viruses for them).

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']You do realize that you can pick up viruses on OSX and even linux right? The only thing that stops it is that there aren't any in the wild.

I'm not trying to dis the OP in any way either, infact I welcome anyone breaking the closed nature of OSX.[/QUOTE]
So wait, you're saying that theoretically, I could get a virus? I guess thats true. But the fact of the matter is, there is no way for me to get one right now.

Why are you guys pissing on this guy's parade? He built a hackintosh and he likes using OS X. What's it to you? For his work, OS X is the only way to go. And for some people, it's the preferred way to go.

[quote name='torifile']So wait, you're saying that theoretically, I could get a virus? I guess thats true. But the fact of the matter is, there is no way for me to get one right now.

Why are you guys pissing on this guy's parade? He built a hackintosh and he likes using OS X. What's it to you? For his work, OS X is the only way to go. And for some people, it's the preferred way to go.[/QUOTE]

He's not conforming to the status quo...therefore they shall pour internet hate upon his brow...I guess it's just the CAG way...

[quote name='torifile']Why are you guys pissing on this guy's parade? He built a hackintosh and he likes using OS X. What's it to you? For his work, OS X is the only way to go. And for some people, it's the preferred way to go.[/QUOTE]

Probably because his title states that macs are better than PC's.

Just a hunch though.

[quote name='mogamer']I've said it before and I'll say it again. One of the biggest reasons OSX runs so well is that it's only installed on a narrow range of hardware. Steve Jobs would go catatonic if people expected to run OSX on some of the crappy hardware I've seen Windows XP run on.

Also, do OSX and Linux users run anti-virus programs? If not, then actually those OS's could catch a virus easier than Windows (if people created viruses for them).[/QUOTE]

an i5 is an i5 PERIOD.. in manufactured by intel so Mac or PC it's the same.

DDR3 is DDR3... most Mac users install aftermarket ram anyway.

This Gigabyte board uses the same Intel chipset as the Mac (P55), same audio chip, same ethernet chip, same everything. Actually the Motherboard in manufactured by FOXCONN in the same factory that they make the Apple motherboards...

A hardrive is a harddrive... Apple uses samsung or seagate.

PSU.. well that's standardized as well.

Videocard... eVGA. best in the business.

You see... the only thing that is different from a Mac > PC (Now) is the PRICE.

Back in the G5 days it was a different story.

[quote name='Kenrik']an i5 is an i5 PERIOD.. in manufactured by intel so Mac or PC it's the same.

DDR3 is DDR3... most Mac users install aftermarket ram anyway.

This Gigabyte board uses the same Intel chipset as the Mac (P55), same audio chip, same ethernet chip, same everything. Actually the Motherboard in manufactured by FOXCONN in the same factory that they make the Apple motherboards...

A hardrive is a harddrive... Apple uses samsung or seagate.

PSU.. well that's standardized as well.

Videocard... eVGA. best in the business.

You see... the only thing that is different from a Mac > PC (Now) is the PRICE.

Back in the G5 days it was a different story.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but OSX doesn't have the drivers available to run hardware that Apple doesn't use. Windows is expected to run on practically everything. Apple doesn't use AMD cpu's or the mobos for those cpus. So I would imagine that there will be conflicts using that hardware. Making an os more flexible means that you need to compromise on things, thus making the os a little less stable.

I've seen windows run on some the crappiest PII and PIII hardware. OSX doesn't even have drivers for that stuff.

EDIT: When I said Windows on PII and PIII, I meant Windows XP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job. You have a lot more patience than I do. I checked in on the hackintosh scene about 2 years ago but it looked like way too much of a hassle to attempt it. So I just ended up getting a real mac, an iMac to be precise. Honestly, I love OS X but I absolutely hate the machine itself.

Fortunately, I'll be getting rid of it by selling it to my brother who is into graphic art work.

[quote name='mogamer']Yes, but OSX doesn't have the drivers available to run hardware that Apple doesn't use. Windows is expected to run on practically everything. Apple doesn't use AMD cpu's or the mobos for those cpus. So I would imagine that there will be conflicts using that hardware. Making an os more flexible means that you need to compromise on things, thus making the os a little less stable.

I've seen windows run on some the crappiest PII and PIII hardware. OSX doesn't even have drivers for that stuff.[/QUOTE]

True.. you have to buy specific hardware to run a hackintosh... basically anything that Apple already has drivers for in the system.

otherwise you have to edit Ktexts (Apple version of drivers) and it gets messy.

It's simple though.. next PC you build just buy hardware that's OSX compatible (most new chipsets are) and you can run a dual boot system.

As long as you make sure that you've got compatible hardware it's pretty easy to do. I figured I was going to build my own rig anyway, might as well make it a Mac at the same time. It's hard as hell if you're trying to turn a pre built machine into one.

bread's done
Back