Half life 2.....convince me to buy Orange Box.

chubbyninja1319

CAGiversary!
Ok, so I've heard all these amazing things about Half Life 2. I played about an hour of it a few years back and thought it was okay but I didn't feel compelled to continue. Now it's only $10 on GoD and I'm thinking maybe the time is right to give it another shot. Thoughts, fellow CAGs?

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Ok, so I've heard all these amazing things about Half Life 2. I played about an hour of it a few years back and thought it was okay but I didn't feel compelled to continue. Now it's only $10 on GoD and I'm thinking maybe the time is right to give it another shot. Thoughts, fellow CAGs?[/QUOTE]

The Orange Box is 3 terrific games and 2 great add-ons. For $10, you'd be mentally retarded NOT to buy it!

Mentally retarded? Well, my Mom always said I was special.......I guess this could go either way. :/

As for reviews, A) they are all old now and B) I don't always trust reviews. I'd prefer to get the opinion of like minded gamers.

I have and enjoy the heck out of Portal so Orange Box, for me, is all about Half Life 2. Yes, $10 is a decent price, all things considered from a true CAG. But, my backlog is growing and with Tomb Raider and the ME3 DLC coming out next week and Infinite later this month....I don't expect to get to HL2 any time soon. BUT, if everyone who chimes in says "OMG, its' the best thing ever because XYZ" then I'll probably pick it up.

I guess, I want to know what, exactly, is so good about it without the story being spoiled all to hell. Can anyone help me out in that way? Thanks in advance!

When the Orange Box came out it was considered one of the best values in console gaming history, and that's when it was $60.

Half Life 2 was very very good... for it's time. It doesn't hold up that well now, and playing the game without the nostalgia goggles might not be that great an experience.

If you played HL2 for an hour, you've only seen one aspect of the game. It changes up at least 4 times throughout the game, with each new area feeling very different yet still keeping you invested in the story.

There are times when I think about HL2 and realize that other fond gaming memories are ALSO of HL2, but had forgotten since it felt like a completely different game in my mind. I could say more but it would get into spoiler territory.

I consider it an absolute must play, it was widely considered the game of the decade and deservedly so. Episode 1 and Episode 2 are pretty much full sequels as well, so there's a lot of gameplay to be had.

Ravenholm, nuff said. But seriously it's a great game that feels really different from your average shooter. The gravity gun lets you do a lot of crazy stuff with the environment, and there are some cool First person vehicle levels. It's been awhile since I've played it, so I can't remember everything, but for $10 it's a freaking steal!

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Ravenholm, nuff said. But seriously it's a great game that feels really different from your average shooter. The gravity gun lets you do a lot of crazy stuff with the environment, and there are some cool First person vehicle levels. It's been awhile since I've played it, so I can't remember everything, but for $10 it's a freaking steal![/QUOTE]

From one Ninja to another, eh? ;)

That's a lot of praise coming in. I'm a sucker for a great story and it sounds like this has it.

Do you have a decent PC? If so, I'd get it there. The Xbox 360 one rarely got any updates, with TF2 being a completely broken mess.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']From one Ninja to another, eh? ;)

That's a lot of praise coming in. I'm a sucker for a great story and it sounds like this has it.[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's less the story and more the characters that are really good. This and Bioshock are pretty much the pinnacle for me in terms of story telling in a first person shooter. I probably have a biased memory, as it's been so long, but I expect it still holds up fairly well. I'd say it's a safe bet if you like games like Bioshock, Metroid Prime, and Portal, you'll have at least a good time with HL2. I've heard the EPs are also really good, though I've yet to play them. If your at all interested you should pick it up, as this is the cheapest I've ever seen it (outside of Steam sales):)

[quote name='Kevlar281']If you are an Achievement Completionist you will have a lot of fun working on all 99.[/QUOTE]
Apparently it has the most of any 360 game (number of achievements, not points). Not many games have 0 point achievements lol

[quote name='Dar_k']Portal @ $1.66 a letter. CAG is an understatement for you my friend.[/QUOTE]

He's already said he's played Portal to death. He wanted to know about Half Life 2 specifically (hence the thread name)

[quote name='62t']only downside is nothing on episode 3[/QUOTE]

It seems to be the running joke that Valve can only count to 2. So far this proves accurate:(

It took me a long time to finish Half Life 2 in the Orange Box. It was a fun game but it definitely showed its age. By the time I got to Episode 1 I was kind of just burnt out.

[quote name='slickkill77']It took me a long time to finish Half Life 2 in the Orange Box. It was a fun game but it definitely showed its age. By the time I got to Episode 1 I was kind of just burnt out.[/QUOTE]

I think it's one of those games best played over weeks or months. There isn't anything really forcing you forward, so a level here a level there makes it a good stop gap game IMO. Kinda like what I do with Skyrim

bread's done
Back