Half-Life 2 PC Collector's Edition - $6.49 @ CC (YMMV?)

TimTucker

CAGiversary!
Putting a YMMV on this since it may be almost nearly impossible to find.

I stopped by Circuit City today just to see if I might find a copy of Half-Life 2 for $11.96 (clearance on circuitcity.com and B&M that got posed a while back).

Didn't find the regular release, but I did come across the bigger collector's edition box (comes with guide & t-shirt). Had it scanned to see what it rang up at an it came up as $6.49.

(as a note, the UPC comes up with a generic description, so if they do a look-up by title to check stock it won't come up)

Also a heads-up: to anyone in the Detroit area, I left 2 copies at the Lakeside CC.

[quote name='TimTucker']Putting a YMMV on this since it may be almost nearly impossible to find.

I stopped by Circuit City today just to see if I might find a copy of Half-Life 2 for $11.96 (clearance on circuitcity.com and B&M that got posed a while back).

Didn't find the regular release, but I did come across the bigger collector's edition box (comes with guide & t-shirt). Had it scanned to see what it rang up at an it came up as $6.49.

(as a note, the UPC comes up with a generic description, so if they do a look-up by title to check stock it won't come up)

Also a heads-up: to anyone in the Detroit area, I left 2 copies at the Lakeside CC.[/quote]

thnx man ill head up to my local one tommorow to see whats up.

CONFIRMED.

But I didn't buy it. The box, while not crushed or flattened, was dinged on the corners and fairly scuffed on all edges, and even the least observant person could tell it had at one point been opened, either by the store or perhaps someone who returned it, but I do not believe publishers ship games with unevenly cut packaging tape. That said, the box was heavy and likely had everything intact.

So the question is...if anyone wants to risk it for me to go get it, trade it for something, and then find out that it really had been opened by a customer and its user key registered, then that's up to you guys. I have only my CAG rating and my word that if anyone asks me to go get it, and they open it to find that I WAS right about the shady looking box, that I was not the one to do it.

Anyways, confirmed at 6.49. I just wish they had a pristine copy that I could have to compliment my steam-purchased version. Also, the box still said 69.99.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']CONFIRMED.

But I didn't buy it. The box, while not crushed or flattened, was dinged on the corners and fairly scuffed on all edges, and even the least observant person could tell it had at one point been opened, either by the store or perhaps someone who returned it, but I do not believe publishers ship games with unevenly cut packaging tape. That said, the box was heavy and likely had everything intact.

So the question is...if anyone wants to risk it for me to go get it, trade it for something, and then find out that it really had been opened by a customer and its user key registered, then that's up to you guys. I have only my CAG rating and my word that if anyone asks me to go get it, and they open it to find that I WAS right about the shady looking box, that I was not the one to do it.

Anyways, confirmed at 6.49. I just wish they had a pristine copy that I could have to compliment my steam-purchased version. Also, the box still said 69.99.[/QUOTE]

Only thing in it is a copy of HL2/CS:S/HL:S on DVD (in a cd case), a t-shirt and a tiny guide.

[quote name='Sporadic']Only thing in it is a copy of HL2/CS:S/HL:S on DVD (in a cd case), a t-shirt and a tiny guide.[/QUOTE]

Which is why I personally got the Silver package off steam :)

HL2 T-Shirt for $6.49 is nice and the Counter-Strike: Source makes it a steal. I bought this awhile ago when it was $19.99. Even if you buy all of these on Steam you will not get this deal if you don't have the games already.

could any cag please pick this up for me? ill happily pay cost+shipping.

Ive been wanting to get into hl2 for a while and try source (im still playing 1.6)

A HL2 shirt? I have the game already but what's the shirt like? A tshirt I'm guessing, and I don't really wear those, but if it's good enough I might pick it up for frumping around the house.

[quote name='guinaevere']A HL2 shirt? I have the game already but what's the shirt like? A tshirt I'm guessing, and I don't really wear those, but if it's good enough I might pick it up for frumping around the house.[/QUOTE]

Just a XL black t-shirt with the Half Life 2 symbol on the front. Pretty nice for a freebie and not too geeky where it can't be worn out in public.

post11100716824uc4.jpg

[quote name='Sporadic']Just a XL black t-shirt with the Half Life 2 symbol on the front. Pretty nice for a freebie and not too geeky where it can't be worn out in public.

post11100716824uc4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I've worn mine once or twice in public last year... the cashier at Office Depot asked me where I got it and I said I got it from the HL2:CE Set :p

The neck area is a little too tight though.

Well for those who really want it, as I've said, the one I saw was in average condition and may have been opened, but I can still get it for a trade if you so desire. I just want to be very clear that I didn't even buy it for myself because I wasn't sure about it.

[quote name='Richlough']I've been wanting Half-Life Source , this is awesome I hope I can hook up .[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother. Unless you want to spend the whole game looking at the water, just wait for Black Mesa Source.

It's true, w00t.

I picked up a copy for me and one for my cousin. If he doesn't want it, I might ship it to someone, but be prepared, he'll probably want it.

The worst part about the boxed versions of HL2, and I know this doesn't apply to Sin Episodes and maybe not even to Episode 1 of HL2, but there is combo CD copy protection/Steam verification. In other words, you can't simply plug your CD key into Steam and get the full fledged software, that is, unless they changed that through an available update.

Its a bastardized version of the game, really. But still a steal at that price.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']The worst part about the boxed versions of HL2, and I know this doesn't apply to Sin Episodes and maybe not even to Episode 1 of HL2, but there is combo CD copy protection/Steam verification. In other words, you can't simply plug your CD key into Steam and get the full fledged software, that is, unless they changed that through an available update.

Its a bastardized version of the game, really. But still a steal at that price.[/QUOTE]
I bought the orignal Half Life 2 when it first came out... Once I installed it, I don't need the CD anymore. Just start up Steam and I'm good to go.

I picked up the last two copies today from my CC, one for me and one for my friend who said he wanted it. One of the boxes was in fairly good condition, while the other was kinda beat up around the edges.

Thanks for the deal OP. The clerk was thoroughly shocked when the $79.99 game rang up for $6.49.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']The worst part about the boxed versions of HL2, and I know this doesn't apply to Sin Episodes and maybe not even to Episode 1 of HL2, but there is combo CD copy protection/Steam verification. In other words, you can't simply plug your CD key into Steam and get the full fledged software, that is, unless they changed that through an available update.

Its a bastardized version of the game, really. But still a steal at that price.[/QUOTE]

They fixed that many moons ago...about 2 months after HL2 first came out. Hell, I had the whole game already pre-loaded off Steam so when I bought it I didn't even need the disc.

yeah I picked up HL2C from circit city and waiting for all the stream stuff wa such a pain but after waiting a half an hour for all the crap to install and we I have a new dual core so great game/price crappy stream service

[quote name='TimTucker']Also a heads-up: to anyone in the Detroit area, I left 2 copies at the Lakeside CC.[/QUOTE]

Ah man, that would be nice at that price jsut for the extras and having another Steam account. Too bad Lakeside's too far out of the way just for this, I'm too broke and have no other reason to go over there. :(

[quote name='asian_701129']How do you get it at that price? When I asked them to search for it they said that it was $30.[/QUOTE]

Same here.. it actually went UP in price. I picked it up at $20 at the same location over a year ago, posted that price in many HL2 request threads.. and it's really weird that some now have it at $6, while others have it at $30. I thought the inventory system was universal, and there was only one UPC for it. Talk about confusion.

I just picked the last one up at the Athens, GA CC. It was labeled $79.99 (lol!) but it rang up $6.94. Great deal!

For those getting $30, its probably because you called and they just looked at the box.

[quote name='JC Monkeyballs']I just picked the last one up at the Athens, GA CC. It was labeled $79.99 (lol!) but it rang up $6.94. Great deal!

For those getting $30, its probably because you called and they just looked at the box.[/quote]I also went to CC to see if it was really 6.94 but I'm pretty sure that one wasn't the one since HL 2 was just CS and HL2 and there was no shirt....

Want to list some confirmed stores people? Kinda difficult to go hunting for a cheap ass game without singling out the raided places first. Thanks!

None at the Denver (colorado blvd) CC. I was told by two different people that they sent back all of their surplus software...they really didn't have anything in the way of software their anyways.

Unfortunately, or maybe it's fortunately, I didn't see any at the Roseville or Madison Heights stores. I didn't check the Harper Woods one yet since I was ready to just go home but it's like half a mile away so I'll check there tommarow.

At the Circuit City in Westbury, NY on Long Island at the Source Mall there were 2 copies. I quickly snatched one and waited to have it price checked, the sticker said 29.99. I was pretty confident it would be 6 and change when I asked him to price check it. Unfortunately he said the words "29.99". I was mad because I really want to try it out. BTW it was definitely the GOTY too.

Can you download Steam on your computer? And can you buy games from them? If so how much is Half Life 2?

edit: just realized it was for the collector's edition, damn I should have looked at that. it isn't that big of a deal though because I was mostly there looking at a TV and surround sound

bread's done
Back