Half Price Books is AWESOME

secretvampire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
141 (100%)
I've know that for a long time, but today I had a sweet score at a HPB. I'm not even into guides, but this will pay for a few other games I am wanting:

Disgaea guide - $3
Dragon Warrior III guide - $3
Skies of Arcadia guide - $3
Final Fantasy Tactics guide - $3
Legend of Dragoon guide - $3
Zelda: Links Awakening DX guide - $3
Zelda: Ocarina of Time guide - $3

By FAR the most good guides I've ever found in one location!

[quote name='secretvampire']I've know that for a long time, but today I had a sweet score at a HPB. I'm not even into guides, but this will pay for a few other games I am wanting:

Disgaea guide - $3

By FAR the most good guides I've ever found in one location![/QUOTE]
:joystick:

which one did you go to? I have one near me that i havn't visited in quite some time. The last time i picked up Diablo (PS1), MGS(PS1), and Zelda: Alink to the Past(SNES) for $2 each.

nice score. not sure if you know, but they're having their semi-annual 20% off sale this thursday until sunday(september 15-18).

nice score. not sure if you know, but they're having their semi-annual 20% off sale this thursday until sunday(september 15-18).

Yeah, I found out while I was checking out. It's alright, it wouldn't have saved me that much on this trip and the store I was at was WAY outside of where I usually am.

is that the original disgaea guide? if it is its gonna sell around 50

Yep, it sure it. From what I can tell, SOAL also sells for about $30 and DW3 for about $50.

I love HPB. In the past month I grabbed:

Chrono Trigger Players Guide
Dragon Warrior 7 Guide
Final Fantasy III Guide
Threads of Fate Guide
Valkrie Profile Guide
Lunar SS Guide

All for less then $40. There are 4 within 15 miles of me, so I make the rounds almost every weekend.

[quote name='kimsh0t']is that the original disgaea guide? if it is its gonna sell around 50[/QUOTE]

You can buy them direct from Duoblejump for $39 new. So it may not hit $50 unless there is some difference in the print runs?

Last time I was there I bought about a dozen PC games for $1-2 each. Also Castlevania II for $2 was a nice find there.

I love HPB as well. Went in there to sell a bunch of books, and saw that someone just traded in a mint Marvel vs Capcom 2 for xbox. It was only 14.98, I also picked up a near mint complete non greatest hits xenogears for 6. I only ended up paying like $4 cuz they gave me $18 for all those old books.

yeah, great store. i got tons of great guides. like chrono trigger, lunar silver star with the stickers and final fantasy 3 plus tons of others for a buck each.

[quote name='secretvampire']I've know that for a long time, but today I had a sweet score at a HPB. I'm not even into guides, but this will pay for a few other games I am wanting:

Disgaea guide - $3

*speechless*

Disgaea guide - $3

Thats a great deal on guides for their store chain. I've been to 3 HPB stores around here and they price guides at $7.95-$9.95 each until it doesn't sell for 6 months, then it hits the sale rack for $3. Most never make it to the sale rack and are sold sooner.

Well, I went to the Half Price Books to see if they had any cheap guides and I ended up getting 5 things:

Final Fantasy X Guide $1 ( a little beat up)
Manhunt Guide $1 (near mint)
Ehrgeiz Guide $1 (is this rare?)
and then a couple guide simply for nostalgia's sake...
The Official Nintendo Player's Guide $1
Mario Mania $1

These were all from the clearance section. They had about 40 other ps2 and Xbox guides, but they were all priced $7-8.

And to top it off HPB is having a 20% off everything sale this weekend, so I got them all for $0.80 a piece.

Did I do all right?

[quote name='Kaijufan']It looks like Half Price Books just opened a store Cedar Rapids. I'll have to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't think that store opens until October. I was mildly disappointed when I saw the new sign, swung into the parking lot and then saw the "opening in 6 weeks" sign a while back. I'm certainly looking forward to it though; it's right on my way home from work! :)

Guides smide, should've hit up their DVd selection during this 20% off sale. I got Hellsing Complete collection, Once upon a time in China Boxset, Record of Lodoss War: Chornicles of a Heroic Knight set, Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and a copy of the Robocop Criterion Collection yesterday.

Edit: Actually I forgot I got Curb your Enthusiasm season 3 instead of Once upon a time in China set.

[quote name='secretvampire']Yeah, I found out while I was checking out. It's alright, it wouldn't have saved me that much on this trip and the store I was at was WAY outside of where I usually am.

Yep, it sure it. From what I can tell, SOAL also sells for about $30 and DW3 for about $50.[/QUOTE]

I sold my SOAL guide last year for 80 bucks. It was to some person in Australia, and it was in practically new condition, but you never know.

I went to another local HPB today and got a pretty decent score.

I found all complete and mint:

Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Herzog Zwei
Revenge of Shinobi

all for $2.40 a piece

also I still would like to know if the Ehrgeiz guide is rare?

Not really, judging from recent ebay listings... you may come out with $10-ish.

I'm very interested in the Zelda DX guide... check my list PLEASE (it'll probably cost too much :( ).

Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Herzog Zwei
Revenge of Shinobi

That's a very nice score, Herzog Zwei alone is $40-50 for a mint copy.

The Erhgeiz guide is not very rare, only goes for $5-6. I found one recently too and was disappointed.

Checked out a few more stores today during the 20% sale and scored:

SNES - Starfox (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Wing Commander (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Wing Commander Secret Missions (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - TMNT Tournament Fighters (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Super Star Wars (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Ren and Stimpy: Veediots! (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Super R-Type (complete, mint) - $2)
GENESIS - Golden Axe (complete, excellent) - $2
Dark Cloud Strategy Guide - $2.50
Lord of the Rings PC CD-ROM (complete, NOT the newer games, this one is from 1990) - $5

Not bad at all, I'm pretty happy with the SNES stuff.

[quote name='secretvampire']That's a very nice score, Herzog Zwei alone is $40-50 for a mint copy.

The Erhgeiz guide is not very rare, only goes for $5-6. I found one recently too and was disappointed.

Checked out a few more stores today during the 20% sale and scored:

SNES - Starfox (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Wing Commander (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Wing Commander Secret Missions (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - TMNT Tournament Fighters (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Super Star Wars (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Ren and Stimpy: Veediots! (complete, mint) - $2
SNES - Super R-Type (complete, mint) - $2)
GENESIS - Golden Axe (complete, excellent) - $2
Dark Cloud Strategy Guide - $2.50
Lord of the Rings PC CD-ROM (complete, NOT the newer games, this one is from 1990) - $5

Not bad at all, I'm pretty happy with the SNES stuff.[/QUOTE]

You don't happen to live in Austin, do you?

Because that list looks too much like the games I left at HPB today. That's pretty funny if you do.

You don't happen to live in Austin, do you?

Because that list looks too much like the games I left at HPB today. That's pretty funny if you do.

OMG you are KIDDING me! :D I do live in Austin...you dumped off some really great games, but MAN you took great care of them. They look like the shrinkwrap just came off. I left a few others I didn't want, and it also looked like somebody had bought maybe two of the games and I was curious what they had gotten.

What else did you dump there? And WHY? I guess I'm kind of a loser collector so this stuff is great for me, but for somebody else it might just be clutter. :)

Anyone know if there is any Half Price Books around Houston area?

Yep, I used to live in Houston. There's one in Clear Lake, one in Sugarland, one up on FM 1960, TWO near Rice (one on Montrose, one in the Rice Village) and maybe another one or two.

I find things at Half Price Books pretty often but I never get really good scores.

Today I saw the original Pikmin players guide (one I kinda want) . . . only $7.48 . . . fuck I didn't get it.

All the other guides I had any interest in were over $5 . . .

[quote name='secretvampire']Yep, I used to live in Houston. There's one in Clear Lake, one in Sugarland, one up on FM 1960, TWO near Rice (one on Montrose, one in the Rice Village) and maybe another one or two.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I was able to find address location of all the stores from their web site at www.halfpricebooks.com.

If I did that math in my head right, before the discount, you paid 10000% more than you should have for that Manhunt guide.

bread's done
Back