Half Price Books Labor Day Sale - 20% off Everything in the Store

4tygames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Once again, Half Price Books is having their labor day sale with 20% off everything in the store! Starts this Thursday, September 3 through Sunday, September 7. Four days to score some great deals! Good luck!

eadbiaack.jpg

Store Locator:
http://www.halfpricebooks.com/find_a_store.html

[quote name='hungryheepo']now i can pick up all the twilight books! *ahem* for my girlfriend that is.[/QUOTE]

Get the bitch something good to read. Bone One Volume Edition for the win.

Are prices the same everywhere? I saw these:

Resistance Fall of Man PS3 - $9.99
Heroes Season 1 DVD set - $10
Motorstorm PS3 - $9.99
Street Fighter IV 360 - $20

(These quotes are for games, not guides)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, but this is somewhat lukewarm in states with high sales tax (and the 40% off Borders coupons). I used to buy hundreds of dollars of books from this store each month until Amazon started knocking 33% off most titles.

Many of their locations have gone out of business. The last time I was in one, I found Scientology and intelligent design books in their meager science section (one shelf of a single bookcase)!

The HPB in Berkeley, CA is excellent. It's the only one remotely nearby, so I can't comment on the others.

Picked up a hardcover set of Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire for $25 thanks to a 50% off coupon. Also got Medieval Total War II Gold for like $8.

The Berkeley HPB has a nice PC game section. Never paid more than $15 for a game there.

Sometimes they'll sell used console games in the clearance section. I've also seen some strategy guides around.

Picked up Guild Wars Prophecies and Factions for $10 each there not too long ago. I'll have to go back Thursday when the sale starts to see if they have Nightfall.

A new store opened near work so I went over there and bought a vinyl frame for my Tony Moore art print and some old X-Men comics. The total was around twenty dollars and after discount a little over sixteen bucks.

They were receiving a ton of trades so I'll be back this weekend to check to see if they pulled any games. As of this afternoon they only had a couple but nothing worth getting excited about.

I have bought some good strategy guides there throughout the years and a PC game here and there. I have also found some real bargains on designer board games a few times. For books the wife and I raid the dollar clearance books and normally walk out with a couple every time we go.

The bad part is our local store is always insanely busy and unbearably busy during sales. Thanks for the heads up OP but I will probably skip this sale after swearing off these sales events because I keep on getting frustrated with the crowds at my local store.

Half Price Books: The only place you can dump excess penny guides and magazines for cash/credit. I get about 50 free magazines subscriptions thanks to the Interweb. I pop in Half Price Books once or twice a month after I read them and dump them for around 25 cents each. Then I browser their clearance racks and get strategy guides, graphic novels, books, etc. for $1 a pop. Occasionally I find a decent game or movie on clearance too. I got a sealed copy of A Christmas Story in the metal tin with the Leg Lamp string of lights for $12 on Blu-Ray a couple months back using a 50% off coupon. That's why I love Half Price Books...never know what you'll find.

They pay 10-25 cents each for crap books...so if I see a box of books at a garage sale, I'll offer them a couple bucks for the whole box and then take it to Half Price and trade it in for $10 cash/credit.

Yeah I didn't think this started till tomorrow but I went today to see if they had any games. Nothing really stellar but I did pick up Batman : The Long halloween, an old copy of Myth the Fallen Lords (big box $4bucks sweet), and Tiger Woods 08 for $3.

I'll try to get in there this weekend and see what they have. Last time I stopped in a couple weeks ago i got Prince of Persia PC for $7. They have some decent liquidation type deals every so often.

My Fiance picked up Twilight Princess on Wii for $25 earlier this week here. We'll probably take it back tomorrow and get the price reduction.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']They sell games?[/QUOTE]

Yea they sell games but current gen console games will only be %50 off regardless of age. So the prices there are not that good. Also the selection is very limited so don't expect to walk in and see Batman AA in there.

PC games however they usually have a lot of and at decent prices. So 20% off that is pretty good. Plus they have strat guides with are all %50 off so an additional 20% is also a good deal.

My best find was the strategy guide for Nocturne. I hadn't been on CAG for a while so for some reason I thought it was a reprint because of its condition. $9.98 and I was happy. Sometimes you can tell which guides were pennied out by going to HPB, too. I saw a crapload of those Wii & You and Mario Party 8.

Also found Indigo Prophecy (PC) for $1. Box was squished at the top, but the documentation and discs looked untouched.

Thanks for the bump, 4tygames. While I'm there I'll probably dump off some unwanted guides. And, get some free coffee! Last time, they had a hazelnut vanilla, some organic blend, and a dark roast.

bread's done
Back