Halloween Sale 40-70% Off Select Blurays at Amazon

Saw the original mimic a LONG time ago when it originally came out on VHS, any comments on the director's cut by someone who has seen it?

98% of 28 Days Later is shot on a camcorder right? Seems like it'd be better to pick it up for uber cheap on DVD as there isn't much of any benefit to a high definition transfer.

Don't buy 28 days later on Blu, the video quality is crap because of how it was shot. Only the last scene will look great since that's in HD.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Don't buy 28 days later on Blu, the video quality is crap because of how it was shot. Only the last scene will look great since that's in HD.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The picture is still at least marginally better than the DVD (less compression artifacts if nothing else), and you get lossless audio. Also, the DVD is currently 50 cents more than the blu-ray on Amazon, so if you're buying it one way or the other, it's cheaper to go blu. ;)

I don't know that I'd bother to upgrade if you have the DVD already, but if you don't, there's absolutely no reason not to go with the blu-ray.

Just don't expect it to be amazing looking. But it's still a great movie.

[quote name='arcane93']I disagree. The picture is still at least marginally better than the DVD (less compression artifacts if nothing else), and you get lossless audio. Also, the DVD is currently 50 cents more than the blu-ray on Amazon, so if you're buying it one way or the other, it's cheaper to go blu. ;)

I don't know that I'd bother to upgrade if you have the DVD already, but if you don't, there's absolutely no reason not to go with the blu-ray.

Just don't expect it to be amazing looking. But it's still a great movie.[/QUOTE]

I suppose you have a point with regards to audio. 28 days later is one of my favorite movies so if you don't own the DVD then yeah it's worth getting the blu

I didn't check out other movies listed, but if you want to take a chance with DD, they have a $5 off coupon code: HAPPY5, and I don't think there's a minimum.

28 days later on Blu would be $5.36 shipped: http://deepdiscount.com/bluray/28-Days-Later_024543468172

The DVD version is $3.81 shipped: http://deepdiscount.com/product/28-days-later-ws/

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I need to stop looking through these now because every time I do I find another movie to buy. Slowly eliminating my DVD collection, $10 at a time. . .

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']fuck, I just bought Trick r Treat on DVD for five bucks and now I see it here on blu for like two or three dollars more.[/QUOTE]
Ya and the DVD version is inferior special features wise to the blu-ray.

[quote name='Jodou']OK, I need to stop looking through these now because every time I do I find another movie to buy.[/QUOTE]

This is kind of my problem with CAG as a whole. :lol:

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']fuck, I just bought Trick r Treat on DVD for five bucks and now I see it here on blu for like two or three dollars more.[/QUOTE]

Is this movie good? I honestly had kind of just written it off without even really looking at it, but someone else recommended it to me recently.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I suppose you have a point with regards to audio. 28 days later is one of my favorite movies so if you don't own the DVD then yeah it's worth getting the blu

I didn't check out other movies listed, but if you want to take a chance with DD, they have a $5 off coupon code: HAPPY5, and I don't think there's a minimum.

28 days later on Blu would be $5.36 shipped: http://deepdiscount.com/bluray/28-Days-Later_024543468172

The DVD version is $3.81 shipped: http://deepdiscount.com/product/28-days-later-ws/[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Not to hijack a thread but I just got the blu of An American Werewolf in London with the coupon for 5.99 shipped.

Yeah, definitely price compare on bluray.com guys. Stuff like Let Me In is $10 at BB vs Amazon. When trying to find a good list of all the price drops, the best I could come up with was what you see now since there's literally hundreds of movies but not all are great deals. Typically, if it's over $12 it might have been cheaper before or elsewhere. Just do your homework first if you're in doubt.

[quote name='arcane93']This is kind of my problem with CAG as a whole. :lol:

Is this movie good? I honestly had kind of just written it off without even really looking at it, but someone else recommended it to me recently.[/QUOTE]

Its a great original movie. Just watched my old blu ray copy a few days ago again and forgot how much I liked it, its definitly entertaining.

[quote name='arcane93']This is kind of my problem with CAG as a whole. :lol:

Is this movie good? I honestly had kind of just written it off without even really looking at it, but someone else recommended it to me recently.[/QUOTE]

Trick 'R Treat is definitely worth the $8. Its an interesting, quirky little film and therefore might not be for everyone but I've seen you in the Criterion threads so maybe that's right up your alley...

[quote name='Tronny']Trick 'R Treat is definitely worth the $8. Its an interesting, quirky little film and therefore might not be for everyone but I've seen you in the Criterion threads so maybe that's right up your alley...[/QUOTE]

Hm... Have to check it out then. I think it was their injudicious use of the letter "r" which turned me off to it initially.

[quote name='arcane93']Hm... Have to check it out then. I think it was their injudicious use of the letter "r" which turned me off to it initially.[/QUOTE]
May have possibly had to do that due to a copyright issue as there are several movies with the title "Trick or Treat." Or it could be because most kids don't say "Trick or Treat" they say "Trick'er Treat" to get candy as quick as possible.

[quote name='guardian_owl']May have possibly had to do that due to a copyright issue as there are several movies with the title "Trick or Treat." Or it could be because most kids don't say "Trick or Treat" they say "Trick'er Treat" to get candy as quick as possible.[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, that's probably what they meant, but to my mind it looked too much like txtspk. ;)

I'm wondering if they'll drop the prices more in a week or two. Last year for Halloween they had horror movie triple packs for super cheap. I wanna pick up a few of these but I'm not sure if I should wait a little bit.

I was tempted to buy 28 days later, but I think I'll hold off for a while now. I'm reading the comments on here about the picture quality and you guys are probably right. If it was like $5.99, or $4.99 it would be a different story though.

It would be pretty badass if they had a 28 days later and a 28 weeks later bundle that was reasonably priced.

Anyone know how the Criterion Blu release of Fear & Loathing stacks up to the original Universal Blu-Ray release? I have the universal one and am not sure if its a worthwhile upgrade.

[quote name='tranceFusion']Anyone know how the Criterion Blu release of Fear & Loathing stacks up to the original Universal Blu-Ray release? I have the universal one and am not sure if its a worthwhile upgrade.[/QUOTE]
Several reviews of Older version:
http://hddb.net/reviews/fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-230990-blu-ray

Several reviews of Criterion version:
http://hddb.net/reviews/fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-criterion-907360-blu-ray

Skimming it looks like difference is slightly improved video and much better special feature package.

[quote name='redfusion']Also you can get both House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects together for $12.99 http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Reject...1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1318364392&sr=1-1[/QUOTE]
Lol, wow. Didn't even see that. Personally, I didn't like the 'sequel' and I hate double-packs so even for a $1 I'd pass. House is worth the price of admission alone, though.[quote name='tcrash247']I'm wondering if they'll drop the prices more in a week or two. Last year for Halloween they had horror movie triple packs for super cheap. I wanna pick up a few of these but I'm not sure if I should wait a little bit.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm really hoping Halloween (Zombie) drops low again, because I refuse to pay over $10 unless it's an absolute must have.[quote name='tranceFusion']Anyone know how the Criterion Blu release of Fear & Loathing stacks up to the original Universal Blu-Ray release? I have the universal one and am not sure if its a worthwhile upgrade.[/QUOTE]It's Criterion so this drop was a no-brainer for me.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I was tempted to buy 28 days later, but I think I'll hold off for a while now. I'm reading the comments on here about the picture quality and you guys are probably right. If it was like $5.99, or $4.99 it would be a different story though.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that this is the absolute best it's ever going to get. Other than the last five minutes (which were shot on film), it was shot using Canon XL-1 Mini DV cams which had a maximum resolution of 720x576i (i.e. standard definition PAL). It's not that the blu-ray is badly done -- it's the limitations of the source. Don't bother holding out for a better version, because there's not going to be one.

That being said, it's a great movie, and well worth the $9 regardless.

bought Planet Terror, 28 Weeks Later (had days), and the Sci-Fi collection box (I love watching terrible movies with friends drunk, and this looks like the master collection ;)).

Dawn of the dead is tempting as hell. I love that movie but I've seen it many times. I think I'll still get it though..

I loved trick r treat but I think it doesn't do well on multiple viewings. The blu ray is pretty nice. It's got this little animated story thing which was kinda creepy.

Although this isn't a deal I jumped on it anyways since halloween is round the corner. The mist 2 disc collectors for 13.xx http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AR0D4A. I love this and can't wait till halloween to turn it on.

edit..shit, the mist just dropped to 10.xx. Gonna email CS and try to get an adjustment.

Which is the better original "Halloween" DVD? The 25th anniversary one or the less expensive one that I think came out later (the pumpkin may have glittery eyes and nose)

Short answer is 2-disc 25th Anniversary edition (for best picture and most extras)

Long answer is different releases have different color timing.
Earlier transfers were supervised by the movie's cinematographer and have more of a blue tint in night time scenes. That would be this edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Don...1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1318526333&sr=1-6
and I think that this is a re-issue of that older edition as it has the same 30 minute special feature (the only meaty special feature on the disc).

The later 25th anniversary edition has a sharper picture and a different color timing which resulted in the stripping out much of the blue tint. Since it's been several decades since the movie was in theaters there is debate which is closer to the original theatrical presentation as opposed to which most closely follows the coloring of the previous releases on VHS. The 25th also has an audio commentary and a 2nd disc of special features.

Supposedly the blu-ray of Halloween bumps up the image quality considerably and has color timing closer to the older edition.

There is a also an extended DVD edition with extra footage filmed for television but it is OOP.

Lots of different editions, but it's not nearly as bad as Evil Dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Keep in mind that this is the absolute best it's ever going to get. Other than the last five minutes (which were shot on film), it was shot using Canon XL-1 Mini DV cams which had a maximum resolution of 720x576i (i.e. standard definition PAL). It's not that the blu-ray is badly done -- it's the limitations of the source. Don't bother holding out for a better version, because there's not going to be one.

That being said, it's a great movie, and well worth the $9 regardless.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I'm not waiting for a better release. I'm waiting to find a better deal. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Trick R' Treat is pretty good. I bought it around this price last year on CAG recommendations. It's not very long but has a bunch of special features on the disc and seems to have developed a pretty big cult following.

Just viewed it last night as part of my movie marathon. Really wish they'd hurry up and ship my From Hell. Been far too long since I saw that one.

Trick R Treat is a great little horror anthology film. It's one of my favorite horror films of the last few years. I bought it for $20 when it first came out and am extremely happy with it. For $8 I'd say it's a no-brainer.

bread's done
Back