Halo 2 maps, dated! APRIL 25TH!!!

mcwilliams132

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
from bungie.net (I also posted this in the Official Halo 2 thread, but thought it get too burried)...

http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=maptacularmonday&p=3055316

The first batch of new, downloadable Halo 2 multiplayer maps will be available on Monday April 25th for download on Xbox Live. Woot! The maps passed through Microsoft's certification process successfully today, which was all we were waiting for! We said we'd tell you as soon as we could, and we found out about an hour ago that they'd passed with flying colors.

The Bonus Pack - comprised of Containment and Warlock, is free. Log into Xbox Live, go to the download content menu item and get 'em. The Killtacular Pack, comprised of Turf and Sanctuary, is $5.99 US (local prices will vary by country) but for the patient, it too will be available for free on June 28 th .

The maps will be available in custom games immediately, and in Matchmaking some time soon after. We'll bring you news on the Matchmaking playlists update shortly.
---------------

Yeah! :applause:

i have the same thing gong for pariah, ive been praising every screen, movie, and detail of it, and i am still awaiting a demo disc, and from the sound of it, ill be just as disapointed as you are

Yeah, I'll bite. I'll be finishing up classes next week and will have all summer to rock on the new maps. ...there's no way i can wait until June 28th..

[quote name='Matt Young']Shit... another week. Oh well. I'll be having a lot to do on Halo whenever I can pry myself away from WrestleMania 21![/QUOTE]

I hope WrestleMania 21 will be that good, but I don't have my hopes up.

I guess it's time for me to get XBL again. I was kind of tired of it but this has my interest enough to drop another 35-40 bucks on a 1 year card on ebay or whatever. I can wait until June so I don't have to pay for them though, I'm not that anxious. I'm more excited about the bug/exploit fixes.

[quote name='RawisJericho']I hope WrestleMania 21 will be that good, but I don't have my hopes up.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. The fact that there are no reviews up still with the game being out tomorrow in many places throws up a LOT of red flags for me. If the game was good they'd probably want reviews up in time for release.

For the people that can't get to Bungie for some reason, a copy and paste of the info:

Maptacular Monday!

The first batch of new, downloadable Halo 2 multiplayer maps will be available on Monday April 25th for download on Xbox Live. Woot! The maps passed through Microsoft's certification process successfully today, which was all we were waiting for! We said we'd tell you as soon as we could, and we found out about an hour ago that they'd passed with flying colors.

The Bonus Pack - comprised of Containment and Warlock, is free. Log into Xbox Live, go to the download content menu item and get 'em. The Killtacular Pack, comprised of Turf and Sanctuary, is $5.99 US (local prices will vary by country) but for the patient, it too will be available for free on June 28 th .

The maps will be available in custom games immediately, and in Matchmaking some time soon after. We'll bring you news on the Matchmaking playlists update shortly.

BONUS PACK! (Free!)

CONTAINMENT

containment.gif

A massive, mostly outdoor, and somewhat symmetrical environment set in the frozen tundra near Sentinel Wall, on Delta Halo. The icy terrain is a walled valley floor, scarred by a massive trench, running between two enormous Forerunner compounds. Each of these structures acts as a base, and each base is itself large enough to drive a vehicle around in.

The bases contain a heavily fortified flag capture point which presents a tough challenge for an unorganized offense. To even the odds, it's possible to open vehicle access to these bases by activating a switch - exposed to sniper fire in the center of the map. Above this switch is the teleport exit for each base.

The rapid access enabled using teleporters and vehicles means that while this is by far one of the largest Halo maps ever, it's also one with a large number of transit options, on foot or in vehicles.

Caves, ridges and tunnels provide stealthy entrance to enemy bases, while the jagged central trench is a great spot to take cover. Above, the exposed, icy fields are littered with the most explosive cores in the game. Default vehicles include Hogs, Scorpion tanks and Banshees. Containment was built from the ground up, with large scale objective games in mind, especially CTF. If you like Coagulation, and were a fan of Sidewinder, you'll love Containment! You can see a cool 3D screenshot of Containment HERE!

WARLOCK

warlock.gif

Set in the rain-soaked ruins of an ancient Forerunner structure, nobody knows if Warlock is a temple, a castle or even a dwelling. What we do know is that the architecture predates the Halo itself, and that it must have been moved here, brick by brick, with obvious reverence by the Forerunners themselves.

A small to medium sized map, Warlock is ideal for close-quarters fights, Slayer matches and thanks to its four way symmetry, multi-team Territories battles. Warlock's mix of obstacles and open areas makes it a perfect spot for more chaotic matches like Rockets. Sharp-eyed players may note its resemblance to the map Wizard, although it has been rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of Halo 2's new graphics and gameplay features.

Warlock is filled with nooks, crannies and other hiding places, and while the ground is a warren of obstacles, it's possible to reach any other point in the map by taking the high road - a series of platforms and ramps that stretch across the map, with a temple-like center structure dominating the arena.

Teleporters dot the walls allowing you to evade pursuing enemies, or take instant shortcuts across the map. You can see a cool 3D screenshot of Warlock HERE!

KILLTACULAR PACK! ($5.99 US)

TURF

turf.gif

The surrounding streets and evacuated buildings of Old Mombasa make it a dangerous warren, with potential assassins lurking in every shadow and around every corner. Dusty storefronts hide mazelike interiors, and narrow walkways above street level make this shadowy part of town a sniper's haven.

Although it was designed primarily with Territories and CTF in mind, Turf's wildly varying situations - open streets, large buildings, narrow passageways - mean that it's surprisingly flexible. In spite of its size and complexity, the level even works well as a cat and mouse one-on-one map.

Although the tight alleys and streets are initially confusing, there are plenty of vital landmarks - a downed Covenant Scarab, a makeshift Human military base and a massive warehouse, complete with huge swinging doors. Players can knock down catwalks to control ledges above the streets, and a well-parked Warthog can lay down covering fire for the team quick enough to grab it.

SANCTUARY

sanctuary.gif

A walled grotto defines the center point of this Forerunner habitat, from which aqueducts span out, like the hands of a clock. It perfectly obscures a clear line of sight between two more robust temple buildings primarily used as Flag capture bases.

The map was designed to be perfectly symmetrical and used for smaller, team based objective games, like CTF and Assault, but its size and layout also make it a perfect spot for Slayer matches and slightly more frenetic types like Territories and Oddball. The tunnels at the sides and the open areas in front of the bases make for frantic firefights and nerve-wracking chases.

Stop for a moment to admire the scenery and you'll see a complicated system of waterfalls, canals and pools. Splashing water and the chirp of birds help define the sound scheme of this otherwise peaceful environment.

Larger versions of these images have been added to the Halo 2 Screenshot gallery.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I guess it's time for me to get XBL again. I was kind of tired of it but this has my interest enough to drop another 35-40 bucks on a 1 year card on ebay or whatever. I can wait until June so I don't have to pay for them though, I'm not that anxious. I'm more excited about the bug/exploit fixes.

Ditto. The fact that there are no reviews up still with the game being out tomorrow in many places throws up a LOT of red flags for me. If the game was good they'd probably want reviews up in time for release.[/QUOTE]

No reviews are up because IGN gets first review of the game. It's some kind of deal they have. So, all other websites were told to hold off for IGN first. IGN's review is supposed to be later tonight, or tommorrow at the latest.

Just a bump....should be available today! I think I may spend my $6. Does anyone know when the MAPS will be available for MATCH-MAKING???? I heard they are only good for Custom Games at first

[quote name='doubledown']Just a bump....should be available today! I think I may spend my $6. Does anyone know when the MAPS will be available for MATCH-MAKING???? I heard they are only good for Custom Games at first[/QUOTE]

There's going to be an interim matchmaking gametype that incorporates the "premium" maps. Bungie said there'd even be prizes for the top-ranked people in the new gametype.

They've been available since I woke up, around 2 AM Pacific. They were probably released at midnight. I've got the bonus map pack and am downloading the Killtacular pack now.

Glad there is a "interim" matchmaking.....I thought these would just be good for custom, which would've been lame. Looks like I may have to play the deuce when I get home today

I was burnt out on Halo 2 for a while but the update last week got me back into it. I was always a grenade whore in the original so I'm glad they un-nerfed them.

And now we've got new maps. Yay! Although I may wait until they are free since I don't usually play a lot of the larger team maps.

When they put out the retail copy of maps, does anyone know if you'll be able to use it on multiple Xboxes? My friends and I would go in on one but none of us want to drop $20 on it.

[quote name='MrBadExample']When they put out the retail copy of maps, does anyone know if you'll be able to use it on multiple Xboxes? My friends and I would go in on one but none of us want to drop $20 on it.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost certain you'll be able to.

Also, are these first 4 maps LARGE team battles or normal Team Slayer maps? If they are only playable in big-ass clan match, that sucks.....I usually play 4vs4

[quote name='doubledown']Also, are these first 4 maps LARGE team battles or normal Team Slayer maps? If they are only playable in big-ass clan match, that sucks.....I usually play 4vs4[/QUOTE]

Only one of the four (Containment) is considerably large. The other three are perfectly sized for 4v4.

[quote name='Ledhed']Only one of the four (Containment) is considerably large. The other three are perfectly sized for 4v4.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...I wish they would make ALL maps available for 4vs4. I would like to try Water Works or that other map in a deathmatch setting.

I just ran through Warlock, it seems badass. It seems kind of big for 2v2 (me and my friends usually play Rockets splitscreen), but overall better than that other map that was supposed to be the replacement for Wizard.

Does anyone know if the Killtacular Pack can be transferred to multiple Xboxes via a memory card or system link? That way my friends and I can split the $5.99 four ways and get the maps without waiting for June 28th.

[quote name='jaso']Does anyone know if the Killtacular Pack can be transferred to multiple Xboxes via a memory card or system link? That way my friends and I can split the $5.99 four ways and get the maps without waiting for June 28th.[/QUOTE]

I heard it can be done thru mem cards, and it can be done thru system link (but you need to mod ur XBOX)

[quote name='magilacudy']I just ran through Warlock, it seems badass. It seems kind of big for 2v2 (me and my friends usually play Rockets splitscreen), but overall better than that other map that was supposed to be the replacement for Wizard.[/QUOTE]

Foundation was never meant to be a Wizard replacement; it's an update of an old Marathon map.

[quote name='CheapyD']I totally forgot about this...can't wait to get the hell out of work so I can download these mofos.[/QUOTE]

I too can not wait to get out of work and try them out...

Holy Cow....these are taking FOREVER to download.....Just got home and logged in. I started the D/L....took a poo....came back, looks like only a quarter of it's downloaded....oh well....I'll wait.

[quote name='doubledown']Holy Cow....these are taking FOREVER to download.....Just got home and logged in. I started the D/L....took a poo....came back, looks like only a quarter of it's downloaded....oh well....I'll wait.[/QUOTE]

I started downloading them at 6:30 AM didn't finish 'til 7AM. Other people in my clan told me it took them 3 minutes. :(

Well, i finally d/l the first pack, currently working on the Killtacular. I had to D/L the first one twice....it said it couldn't LOAD the content....I guess I got them at PEAK hours

[quote name='help1']I heard it can be done thru mem cards, and it can be done thru system link (but you need to mod ur XBOX)[/QUOTE]

How do you get them using the memory card way? I have a memory card, and don't really want to drop the $5.99...

I wonder why it took you guys so long to download. I didn't buy the Killtacular pack, but the first pack took < 1 minute!

Well, I bet it took me over 2 hours to download both MAP packs. I kept getting errors installing the content....pissed me off. The maps are pretty good...still getting used to them.

[quote name='Rig']How do you get them using the memory card way? I have a memory card, and don't really want to drop the $5.99...[/QUOTE]
I think the idea here is that the maps are tied to the account on which they were purchased. So you buy the maps on your account and download them to Xbox A. Then you transfer that account to Xbox B and download the maps there. I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet, but I don't see why it couldn't work.

bread's done
Back