Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='KingBroly']The rules are supposed to be: 50 achievements/1000 points per disc, 250 extra from an update. We've already seen Microsoft bend these rules a couple of times.[/quote]

Unless its going to be an additional disc and there's more achievements that haven't been revealed/leaked yet.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Unless its going to be an additional disc and there's more achievements that haven't been revealed/leaked yet.[/QUOTE]

I could go for that, kinda like the Halo 2 map pack. I'll take 10 more maps on a disc for $20.

Well, there was that Halo Blue listing. Anyway, the pics are real:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=25727649&postRepeater1-p=4#25730295

As a cautionary note, I do not work for Bungie, I am just a community member like the rest of you. But I was at PAX. I saw the "achievements" incident go down, and I saw what it took to reach them. It was no accident; at the end of the day, as Bungie and PAX were shutting down for the day, a PAX visitor sat down at a monitor and deliberately started clicking through to reach achievements, taking advantage of the distractions. Bungie employees were cleaning up for the day and had their backs turned, which is the only reason that the achievements were up for as long as they were. As soon as they noticed, they came over and turned off the television. The same PAX visitor who clicked through to view the achievements had also taken some photographs, and asked a Bungie employee if he could post them. The Bungie employee asked this person not to post them, and the person who originally looked at the achievements has, so far, held true to their promise and neither posted nor discussed the achievements.

The damage, however, was done. Other people had also taken pictures in that short timespan using both cell phone cameras and regular digital cameras. These are the pictures that you see posted all over the internet now.

I am just a fan, like everyone else, and I do not have any inside track to Bungie's secrets, but I think that ANY person who was there can tell you that Bungie did not want these pictures taken, and the only reason that people were able to view the achievements at all is because an ambitious PAX visitor took advantage of Bungie being distracted at the end of the day.

This was not a case of Bungie "purposely displaying" its achievements.

I understand that it is not only the right, but also the responsibility of the press and the media to be open about news and information that they are able to dig up. But this was not the press or media -- these are people who call themselves Bungie fans. People who presumably understand Bungie's desire and need for secrecy in new projects. And people who should respect it.

Discussing the pictures? Well hell, once the horse has left the barn, you may as well ride it. But going through the somewhat devious process of reaching the new achievements, and then taking pictures, and then proceeding to POST the pictures despite the fact that Sketch made it obvious that they were not supposed to be seen (and I know all the people who took pictures and they were there when Sketch turned the TV off)? That's something that I hope a true Bungie fan (who presumably wants to see the company succeed) would refrain from.

As a fan, this is a disappointment for me in the Bungie Community -- a small one, considering all of the awesomeness I saw from the Bungie Community in general at PAX and over the last few days, to be sure. But a disappointment nonetheless.

Like many other community members, I have and will continue to refuse to discuss anything regarding these photographs except to echo Recon Number 54's sentiments in my usual concise style.
Was it sleezy and underhanded? Yes.
Should Bungie have locked those settings? Yes.

I just don't know what to think.

You know what. I dont feel sorry for Bungie right now. I have a lot of complaints. They claim that Trueskill isn't broken, but if I win 9 straight games on a certain level, I won't rank up because I have palyed too many games? Wtf? And I have been waiting for my damn legendary maps to become free so that they come up in Team Slayer more often. Still no release date. And then they treat the weekly updates like crap, always saying "some thing new is brewing! Some thing HUGE!" and then what do we get? Jack shit. Bungie has pretty much trained its fans to looks for clues in every single place, and that is what these photographers did.

Some will say im arrogant, that not everything is in bungie's hands. Okay then? I have been a loyal fan since Halo 1, readign the weekly updates, and tehy always hype shit up like its the next best thing. Anyone remember the X button fiasco? Sure, it was sorta important, but really, c'mon!

I will say this: if Bungie is releasing an expansion or something to Halo, that is cool, because for once that would be big news. But Bungie shouldn't be mad at all for people searchign throguh the consoles at PAX. They told one guy not to post it, and he didn't, the other guys jsut scurried away. If it was me, I would have taken pics and posted them too. There are fans out there who are tired of waiting, through the ups and downs just for a bit of this supposedly "huge news." The game is nearly a year old, and all we havereally gotten is a couple of wack ass multiplayer maps, half of which suck, and most of which don't show up in matchmaking becasue everyone needs to buy the maps.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corvin']I could go for that, kinda like the Halo 2 map pack. I'll take 10 more maps on a disc for $20.[/quote]

Heh, I think back then it was only 5 maps for 20 bucks. Nowadays 3 maps = $10, too.

I think Halo 3: Mythic should be like this: (But it probably won't happen)

With the full install option of the 360, with Halo 3, you can install the game to the hard drive, and play multiplayer without the disc. Campaign would still require the disc. This way, they would have many more frequent, mini title updates.

[quote name='KingBroly']The rules are supposed to be: 50 achievements/1000 points per disc, 250 extra from an update. We've already seen Microsoft bend these rules a couple of times.[/quote]

Yea, since they make the rule they can subsequently break the rules if needed (like the XBLA game size limit has changed 2 or 3 times) so I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something like this. It actually makes alot of sense to keep people playing games and buying DLC. Not everyone is a score-whore, but adding some new achievements with some DLC seems like a no brainer seeing as implementing some new achievements is not that difficult to do. I actually think that new achievements will sell DLC that many would never consider buying, just because some score whores I know buy every piece of DLC that ties to gamerscore.

I could always see bungie releasing a new map pack and then Microsoft saying that since there have been 3 map packs for Halo 3, they are adding 250gs for each pack. So 750 new gs for us to get! :applause:

Why is it such a big deal that someone found out new achievements? It's not hard to get to the achievement menu so I don't see the big deal. If it was really that hard and supposed to be secret, Bungie would have locked down the system so it couldn't happen.

Ok the superintendent is back...I just saw him flash on the bungie.net logo on their main page. the logo flickers after about a minute

[quote name='life.exe']Or they will have more 0 pointers.[/quote]

If you look at the link posted a couple pages back, they're worth more than 0 points.

Well my friend moved to seatle and met a guy who works for bungie and he introduced me to him. We gamed a lot and then he hooked me up with the Recon armor subscription code and the bungie emplyee flaming chest piece that makes your head have fire on it. I've seen recon and i dont want it. Also, i got an extra copy of the flaming head peice code. If you want either of them i'll sell them to you for a 1600 microsoft point code. If you want both it'll cost you either a 4000 microsoft piont code or two 1600 microsoft point codes. (i put both cause sum times its cheaper to get one or the other in certain places.) Who ever gives me the code first get it or them so act fast. lol

[quote name='sphinterberg']Well my friend moved to seatle and met a guy who works for bungie and he introduced me to him. We gamed a lot and then he hooked me up with the Recon armor subscription code and the bungie emplyee flaming chest piece that makes your head have fire on it. I've seen recon and i dont want it. Also, i got an extra copy of the flaming head peice code. If you want either of them i'll sell them to you for a 1600 microsoft point code. If you want both it'll cost you either a 4000 microsoft piont code or two 1600 microsoft point codes. (i put both cause sum times its cheaper to get one or the other in certain places.) Who ever gives me the code first get it or them so act fast. lol[/quote]
Get the fuck out, newb. :D

[quote name='Bretters']I only have 875(G) atm... I wonder if I can unlock the 1k armor with the new achievements? :whistle2:k[/quote]

Interesting theory. I always wanted that armor, but never wanted to try getting enough points in those campaign levels.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Sigh.. the new achievements are lame -_-V[/quote]

You do realize that those aren't all the achievements right? Bungie said they couldn't show all the achievements because they were ready to explain somethings yet.

When I First read about that Alas, poor yorick achievement, I thought it was going to be the last person that's not a zombie.

I love the reference to Y the Last Man's last issue, "Alas"

Very good comicbook series about the last man on Earth.

My only problem with the veto system is that it loads the game THEN asks to veto... having to sit through 2 loadings ftl

So you want to veto a game before you know what it is?

I know what you mean, it just seems like a minor complaint.

[quote name='Corvin']It still begs the question, why? What's wrong with the veto system? I think it works fine.[/quote]

Well for one thing, once the timer hits zero you shouldn't be able to hit veto. Too many times people wait until zero to veto.

I think 10 seconds is too much time. You should know if you want to veto or not in half the time.

80% of the time I play people veto the first map so all we end up doing is waiting even longer to get into the next map. It's mildly irritating.

[quote name='Corvin']So you want to veto a game before you know what it is?

I know what you mean, it just seems like a minor complaint.[/QUOTE]
No

I would prefer it to do what I said. Not that big of a deal anyways as the vast majority of games aren't vetoed.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']X to Veto Map
Y to Veto Gametype

simple solution right there Bungie![/quote]

That's a good idea. Lord knows no one likes objective game in Big Team. Slayer is where it is at.

veto doesn't really bug me, ya you have to wait an extra 15 seconds if the map is vetoed, but I'm happy either way with what I got to play. There's always a next time.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
I think 10 seconds is too much time. You should know if you want to veto or not in half the time.

80% of the time I play people veto the first map so all we end up doing is waiting even longer to get into the next map. It's mildly irritating.[/QUOTE]

Really? The only time I see vetoes is Sniper matches and when Rat's Nest pops up. As for the time, I find it is very common to still be looking at the previous game's stats while the next game loads. Ten seconds comes in handy.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Well for one thing, once the timer hits zero you shouldn't be able to hit veto. Too many times people wait until zero to veto.

80% of the time I play people veto the first map so all we end up doing is waiting even longer to get into the next map. It's mildly irritating.[/quote]

You can't be fucking serious.

10 seconds is the perfect amount of time. Gives enough time to talk it over with your teammates. And if you think 10 seconds is too long for when no one vetoes, then you should do what I do: use the extra time to talk strategy for the game. Omgu8myrice and I have this down to a science, as the first minute of a match can really make or break you and some coordination will help the team get a majority of the weapons.

Now what they should do it load the maps after the result of the veto. Right now it loads the map, then vetoes, then loads another map. Instead, it should just see if it has to veto or not before loading, to prevent 2 maps beign loaded.

[quote name='help1']

Now what they should do it load the maps after the result of the veto. Right now it loads the map, then vetoes, then loads another map. Instead, it should just see if it has to veto or not before loading, to prevent 2 maps beign loaded.[/quote]

this.

[quote name='help1']You can't be fucking serious.

10 seconds is the perfect amount of time. Gives enough time to talk it over with your teammates. And if you think 10 seconds is too long for when no one vetoes, then you should do what I do: use the extra time to talk strategy for the game. Omgu8myrice and I have this down to a science, as the first minute of a match can really make or break you and some coordination will help the team get a majority of the weapons.

Now what they should do it load the maps after the result of the veto. Right now it loads the map, then vetoes, then loads another map. Instead, it should just see if it has to veto or not before loading, to prevent 2 maps beign loaded.[/quote]

X2

bread's done
Back