Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Is there a glitch with the Mongoose Mowdown achievement? I know I have run over people with it before, but I just noticed I don't have the achievement.[/quote]

It has to be in Lone Wolves, and the player you mow down must die from impact.

I wanna give a big shoutout to my boys down at Bungie for taking away the Legendary DLC playlist on the eve of all these new achievements, and making the task of finding the correct gametype/map combo very tedious for some lame reason. Big ups to you $$$$$$s!

:cool:

Dumb question but is there a certain gametype that I should be playing to increase my chances of playing a legendary map? I haven't played this game in forever.

I think I am going to make it to tonights match. Playing random people sucks, no one wants to cooperate with the rest of the team.

Me and X got all the achievements besides the vidmaster ones today. Like ridin' a bike.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i hope you guys enjoy waiting for:
and Blackout FFA oddball in DLC FFA[/quote]

This statement is 100% true. Oddball is a sonuvabitch to find. We ended up getting Ghost Town oddball in FFA.

dammit, got my first 3 red rings tonight. gotta send my baby away for a couple of weeks, I'm blaming this Halo update since i never had a problem, DL'd the update and then shut down, turn back on later and BAM, red light all in my face. Thanks Bungie!

[quote name='NegativeZero']dammit, got my first 3 red rings tonight. gotta send my baby away for a couple of weeks, I'm blaming this Halo update since i never had a problem, DL'd the update and then shut down, turn back on later and BAM, red light all in my face. Thanks Bungie![/quote]
I would imagine the chances of a game patch giving you the RRoD are pretty nonexistent. ;)

[quote name='SynGamer']Eh, i quickly lost interest in playing earlier tonight.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I should have quit sooner than I did. I literally wasted 2 hours on it. Forgot what a bitch it is when they reset things. Won two matches in that two hours. I'm a mid-20s player and was getting matched up with 40s. Ugh. Ended up in a Shotty-Sniper match with a level 48 guy who was sniping people from the back of a mongoose. Crazy shit.

Boundless (Snowbound sans blast shields) was a blast though, win or lose. Makes the underground cavern total chaos. Starting with the Magnum sucks ass though.

[quote name='Corvin']Yeah... I should have quit sooner than I did. I literally wasted 2 hours on it. Forgot what a bitch it is when they reset things. Won two matches in that two hours. I'm a mid-20s player and was getting matched up with 40s. Ugh. Ended up in a Shotty-Sniper match with a level 48 guy who was sniping people from the back of a mongoose. Crazy shit.[/quote]

It would probably be better for a lot of people to let the good players play for a few days to get their rank up high so you have less of a chance to get matched up with them. That would be no fun at all having someone sniping me from the back of a mongoose.

I was very lucky to get matched up with people with similar skill levels to mine when I played.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I would imagine the chances of a game patch giving you the RRoD are pretty nonexistent. ;)[/quote]

You didn't read Dean Takashsi's article then about red rings. It's commonly known that a system patch was put into Dead Rising to get systems up to date that weren't on Live and that crashed a lot of systems. There have also been known problems with NBA 2K6, Forza 2, and Halo 3 (when it launched.)

[quote name='Trakan']Me and X got all the achievements besides the vidmaster ones today. Like ridin' a bike.[/quote]Truth. If we had gotten the Oddball match sooner, we would have gotten the 250 in...like 20 minutes. It's nice to know that we can come back on this game after a long hiatus and still kick ass all over the place and pick up points in the process - and it'll be even better once we hit Lieutenant today :cool:

[quote name='Zowsky']are any of these new achievements available without having to buy any map packs?[/quote]

Very few, like 3/30. The whole point of the new achievements was to award those who did drop a few bucks on the Halo 3 expansion maps.

~HotShotX

Looks like I won't be buying them then, lol. Used to be maps would go free after a certain amount of time..

They dropped the price on them. That's decent enough since they are overpriced at $10.

[quote name='Pure Apathy'] That would be no fun at all having someone sniping me from the back of a mongoose.

.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. I think it only happened to me once, but he got around 10 kills that way on my whole team. That's also ignoring the non-head shots where he got the shot in to drain your shield to make you vulnerable to his teammates. Ridiculous. I'm going to have to remember to watch the video from his perspective later. Crazy, crazy shit. Also very embarrassing.

[quote name='jer7583']Looks like I won't be buying them then, lol. Used to be maps would go free after a certain amount of time..[/quote]

Not used to be...., it was once, unless the map and specifically dedicated as a free map (i.e. Cold Storage).

For those keeping score, let's recap:

Heroic Map Pack (Standoff, Rat's Nest, Foundry) - Released at 800 MSP, Free after LMP release.
Legendary Map Pack (Blackout, Avalanche, Ghost Town) - Released at 800 MSP, 600 MSP after Summer.
Cold Storage - Free at release.

It's hardly enough to discern a pattern, but if I had to guess, I'd wager the following, taking into account Bungie's statement that "The Legendary Map Pack would not become free":

Legendary Map Pack - Stays at 600 MSP (No reason to drop the price AND give LMP-specific achievements).
Mythic Map Pack (Assembly, Citadel, Heretic, Longshore, Orbital, Sandbox) - 1200 MSP (30 Achievements, 6 Maps, a new ranking system, and several new playlists...that's a LOT to throw into a single update. With everything coming out and a large dashboard overhaul, I imagine there's going to be so many new features, that 360 owners will be dropping their pants and 1200 MSP rather easily).

A more conservative estimate would be MMP at 800 MSP, but I believe Bungie could easily get away with 1200.

~HotShotX

[quote name='drtony828']OK guys, I hope this is the best forum for my question. Basically, I got a 20gb HDMI 360 in December 2007 which came with a Halo 3 theme. I accidentally deleted it, and I haven't been able to find it on XBL or anyplace else since. Does anyone know if it has been available in the past and/or will be available in the future? It was one of my favorite themes, and I'd really like to get it back if at all possible.[/quote]

Never mind, I think I answered my own question.

Step 1: Buy a used memory card at Gamestop.
Step 2: Copy the Halo theme from another XBox 360 to memory card
Step 3: Transfer Halo theme back to my hard drive
Step 4: Return memory card to Gamestop with receipt within 7 days, get full refund.
Step 5: _________.
Step 6: Profit.

[quote name='drtony828']Never mind, I think I answered my own question.

Step 1: Buy a used memory card at Gamestop.
Step 2: Copy the Halo theme from another XBox 360 to memory card
Step 3: Transfer Halo theme back to my hard drive
Step 4: Return memory card to Gamestop with receipt within 7 days, get full refund.
Step 5: _________.
Step 6: Profit.[/QUOTE]

i found that a lot of gamerpics and themes, even the hexic hd that came with the HDD will not copy over using a Memory Unit, maybe I did something wrong, but when i tried moved everything from my 20gb to my 120gb it didnt copy some of the content that came with the original 20gb HDD. And yes i copied about 10gb of crap with a 256 memory card :whistle2:(

The Legendary Map pack won't become free. Period.

I don't believe there's a game out that has free content which grants you the extra 250 (or, in this case, 750) gamerpoints.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The Legendary Map pack won't become free. Period.

I don't believe there's a game out that has free content which grants you the extra 250 (or, in this case, 750) gamerpoints.[/quote]

I think BioShock currently holds the record, with +100 points of free content via the "Brass Balls" achievement, hard-mode, and 4 additional powers.

EDIT: Actually, the Gears of War maps are now free (they weren't at first), making it a 1250 game on free content.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']I think BioShock currently holds the record, with +100 points of free content via the "Brass Balls" achievement, hard-mode, and 4 additional powers.

EDIT: Actually, the Gears of War maps are now free (they weren't at first), making it a 1250 game on free content.

~HotShotX[/quote]

I think Project Gotham Racing 4 had more achievements via the Free Challenge Pack also.

[quote name='SynGamer']800 for MMP, maybe. But 1200 for MMP, hell no.[/quote]

Maybe we should wait until the map packs contents are revealed before making such rash judgments?

I wonder if they'll ever release a remake of Beaver/Battle Creek... it's the first map I was looking for when I first bought Halo 3 a year ago.

[quote name='help1']Maybe we should wait until the map packs contents are revealed before making such rash judgments?[/quote]
No thanks. I paid for both map packs so far. I bought the game at launch. And it's sold millions. We deserve this new content for free. If not to please the fans, than to at least renew our interest in the game.

[quote name='SynGamer']No thanks. I paid for both map packs so far. I bought the game at launch. And it's sold millions. We deserve this new content for free. If not to please the fans, than to at least renew our interest in the game.[/quote]Even if Bungie wanted it to be free, Microsoft would still probably make them charge money. There's no way a new map pack and 500 extra achievement points will be free (at least initially - though I still highly doubt that the Legendary Pack and the Mythic Pack will ever be free).

Wow.

Don't you just love all the achievement whores coming out with this update? Every freaking DLC map people were more more concerned about the fucking achievements than winning. I even had some fool betray me just so he could get the flag I picked up to get an achievement.

[quote name='dastly75']The E3 SI style home page redirection is up again. Timer ends at 7:07:07 Pacific time tommorow morning.[/quote]
I really hope it's nothing disappointing, like the Superintendent is some sort of Vaultboy for Halo Wars.

If you're not interested in going for the achievements, don't play in the DLC playlists. If you have to play the DLC playlists, live with the boosters.

[quote name='Trakan']If you're not interested in going for the achievements, don't play in the DLC playlists. If you have to play the DLC playlists, live with the boosters.[/quote]
No.

I think you guys are being optimistic on pricing for 6 new maps. If there is any pattern thus far it is that 3 maps = $10. MMP has 6 maps, i.e. $20 or 1600pts.

Maybe we'll know in the morning.

Oh goddamnit. First time I see CTF Avalanche in like 3 hours of play. I get 1 kill on the flag carrier and killed a guy with the flag literally RIGHT as the game ended. fuck THIS.

[quote name='HotShotX']I'm really getting fucking tired of the achievement boosters.

~HotShotX[/quote]

Agreed 100%

[quote name='Trakan']If you're not interested in going for the achievements, don't play in the DLC playlists. If you have to play the DLC playlists, live with the boosters.[/quote]

[quote name='Trakan']Then quit bitching.[/quote]

So we shouldn't bitch, but you are going to bitch about bitching? Sorry, but HotShot, Syn and I have valid complaints.

I'm interested in getting the achievements, but I want to earn them legit, not boost with a bunch of 10 year olds. At this point, I'm going to keep playing in the DLC, but kill/teamkill anyone I see boosting.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']I'm interested in getting the achievements, but I want to earn them legit, not boost with a bunch of 10 year olds. At this point, I'm going to keep playing in the DLC, but kill/teamkill anyone I see boosting.

~HotShotX[/quote]

You should recruit Syn for that. He's pretty fond of team killing people. :p

[quote name='Draekon']You should recruit Syn for that. He's pretty fond of team killing people. :p[/quote]
Give me a hammer, and make sure we're killing the ball carrier and i'm golden :D

You should come back to halo Draekon, we misses you.

bread's done
Back