Halo 3 Still Breaking Records

Str8Nasty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Well, Halo 3 has been out for a week now, and it is still breaking records. Everyone should already know by now that it had the biggest launch day in US entertainment history. Well, now it has become the fastest selling video game ever made, grossing in over $300 million in the first week of sales worldwide. :eek:

Interactive entertainment will never be the same, with the launch of one title that has changed the way the world thinks about video games. “Halo® 3” has captured the attention of consumers worldwide and has made history as one of the biggest entertainment launches of all time.

Microsoft Corp. today announced that “Halo 3” has officially become a global phenomenon, garnering more than $300 million in sales in the first week alone. The critically acclaimed Xbox 360® exclusive, which was released worldwide on Tuesday, Sept. 25, is the fastest-selling video game ever and already one of the most successful entertainment properties in history.

Initial reports from retailers worldwide show console sales have more than doubled compared with the weekly average before the launch of “Halo 3.” With games such as “Halo 3,” “Madden 08” (EA Sports), “Mass Effect” (Microsoft Game Studios) and “Rock Band” (Harmonix), Xbox 360 has the greatest lineup in the history of video games and is the only console where consumers can play all the year’s biggest blockbusters.

“‘Halo’ is truly a cultural phenomenon, and the launch of ‘Halo 3’ is an important milestone for Xbox 360 and for video games as entertainment and as an art form,” said Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft. “‘Halo 3’ embodies our vision for the future of entertainment, where some of the world’s greatest creative minds will deliver a new generation of interactive storytelling.”

“Halo 3” is quickly staking its place as the most popular Xbox LIVE® game in history with members gathering in record numbers to play on the world’s largest online gaming and entertainment network on TV. More than 2.7 million gamers have played “Halo 3” on Xbox LIVE in the first week, representing nearly one-third of the 7 million Xbox LIVE members worldwide. Within the first day of its launch, “Halo 3” players worldwide racked up more than 3.6 million hours of online gameplay, which increased more than elevenfold to 40 million hours by the end of the first week, representing more than 4,500 years of continuous gameplay. Since “Halo 3 launched,” gamers have unlocked nearly 30 million achievements. In its first week alone, “Halo 3” drove a record number of Xbox LIVE Gold Memberships as hundreds of thousands of new members gathered online with friends, family members and other gamers around the world to collectively compete and complete the game.

“Halo 3” is the conclusion to the epic trilogy and picks up where “Halo 2” left off, answering questions about the fates of the beloved protagonist Master Chief™ and his artificial intelligence sidekick Cortana as they struggle to save humankind from destruction at the hands of the alien coalition known as the Covenant. In addition to the rich storyline, “Halo 3” continues the franchise’s grand tradition of delivering innovative online multiplayer experiences via Xbox LIVE. The game’s online multiplayer and innovative four-player cooperative gameplay for Xbox LIVE Gold users, the much-talked-about Saved Films feature that enables players to capture and save their favorite moments on their hard drives, and Forge, an innovative map editor that enables myriad customization options, are just some of the new features gamers are experiencing.

Developed by Bungie Studios and published by Microsoft Game Studios, the “Halo” franchise is exclusive to the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system and optimized for the Xbox LIVE online entertainment network. “Halo 3” was released in 37 countries and 17 languages. To date, more than 20 million copies of the games in the “Halo” trilogy have been sold worldwide.

Record week-one sales come on the heels of the previously announced $170 million in sales in the U.S. within the first 24 hours of the game’s release, which marked not just the biggest video game launch, but the biggest entertainment launch in history. The Xbox 360 title beat previous U.S. sales records set by blockbuster openings for entertainment events such as the release of “Spider-Man 3” and “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” In addition, more than 1.7 million copies of “Halo 3” were pre-ordered in the United States, making it the fastest pre-selling game in history, surpassing the previous record-setting pre-sales of “Halo 2.”

Source. CLICK ME!

[quote name='Str8Nasty']Why do you say that?[/quote]

Because Microsoft Skews the numbers to make it look really good.

Oh come on.

Hype = the sales? That's not giving it any credit at all. Whether or not you like the game is a different story, but you can't really deny the fact that it sells in the millions within a few days.

Halo 3 is huge. There's really no way around it.

With games such as “Halo 3,” “Madden 08” (EA Sports), “Mass Effect” (Microsoft Game Studios) and “Rock Band” (Harmonix), Xbox 360 has the greatest lineup in the history of video games

He . . . huh . . . muh . . muahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's rich!

*generic statement of hate towards halo for being popular*

Good sales of a game are never bad for the gaming industry, folks. Why you would wish something would be less popular is beyond me. But I guess you're just one of those "misunderstood counter-culture" types, you rabble rouser, you.

Increased publicity and legitimacy of the industry, along with increased funding for future game development of both popular and risky projects are what follows from good sales.

THIS HURTS NO ONE. Take your anti-establishment flag elsewhere, because this is positive news.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']With games such as “Halo 3,” “Madden 08” (EA Sports), “Mass Effect” (Microsoft Game Studios) and “Rock Band” (Harmonix), Xbox 360 has the greatest lineup in the history of video games

He . . . huh . . . muh . . muahahahahahahahahahahaha

That's rich![/QUOTE]

Well, it's PR, what do you expect. Sony claimed to have the best launch in history for the PS3 as well, didn't they? It's their job to blow things out of proportion.

[quote name='InuFaye']Because Microsoft Skews the numbers to make it look really good.[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows other companies skew their numbers to make themselves look bad.. ;) Sony did plenty of number stretching in those first few bad months of PS3 sales. Grouping the "playstation brand", using total sales dollars on a $200 more expensive console, etc. etc. Everybody does it.. why even complain?

I should play a Halo game sometime just to see how super-ultra-amazingly perfect it really is.

I know its Huge but its kinda weird when they try to compare to stuff like movies. It might make more money then that but, it doesent have more people then the other media forms.

[quote name='InuFaye']I know its Huge but its kinda weird when they try to compare to stuff like movies. It might make more money then that but, it doesent have more people then the other media forms.[/quote]

it also probably doesn't cost the same to make as a high end movie...yes the marketing was huge for it...but i keep reading comments about how msft paid moutain dew for that promotion...why would msft pay to get that add, as mountain dew is the one reaping the benefits, wouldn't mountain dew need to pay a licensing for it...

Looks like it's game over for Sony and Nintendo, you heard it directly from the mouths of Microsoft PR

With games such as “Halo 3,” “Madden 08” (EA Sports), “Mass Effect” (Microsoft Game Studios) and “Rock Band” (Harmonix), Xbox 360 has the greatest lineup in the history of video games and is the only console where consumers can play all the year’s biggest blockbusters.

Thats it, this gen is won :roll:

Interesting out of the 4 games picked only 2 are exclusive to the 360, you would have thought they could have done a bit better than that.

Still, making ridiculous grandiose statements never did a company any harm, did it Sony??:)

as far as I am concerned, halo 3 is the fastest gossing game of all time. I saw nothing in there to back up the statement that it is the fastest selling game of all time. all it said number wise was the HALO TRILOGY sold 20 million units worldwide. that means ALL 3 halo games where counted in that.

the last time I checked, pokemon diamond and pearl where the fastest selling games of all time, with 1.6 million copies sold in japan in the first week, with almost double that sold in the first 5 days in america.

[quote name='benjamouth']Looks like it's game over for Sony and Nintendo, you heard it directly from the mouths of Microsoft PR

Thats it, this gen is won :roll:

Interesting out of the 4 games picked only 2 are exclusive to the 360, you would have thought they could have done a bit better than that.

Still, making ridiculous grandiose statements never did a company any harm, did it Sony??:)[/quote]

And out of the 4 games picked only 1 is an exclusive thats actually OUT.

I'd like to know a few major facts on the game though.

1. How much did they spend making it?
  2. How much did they spend advertising it?
  3. How much are the replacements for all the scratched discs they had due to lame faulty packaging costing them?
A statement saying the game has grossed $300 million means nothing. They arent saying what their profit on it is. I'd love to know what they spent on development of that game compared to Gears of War or Bioshock for instance.

[quote name='Brian9824']
  1. How much did they spend making it?
  2. How much did they spend advertising it?
  3. How much are the replacements for all the scratched discs they had due to lame faulty packaging costing them?
A statement saying the game has grossed $300 million means nothing. They arent saying what their profit on it is. I'd love to know what they spent on development of that game compared to Gears of War or Bioshock for instance.[/QUOTE]

1. Not disclosed, but a businessweek article or somesuch put the dev costs at around $60 million.
2. The number being tossed around is $10 million, mostly because Doritos and Mt. Dew and these other places actually pay MS dollars to be associated with the Halo brand. It's similar to how movies work.
3. No idea, but I can't imagine that very many people will send in their disks if they work fine. Call it $1 million, but even that is probably high.

The statement that the game grossed $300 million does say something. It's a helluva lot of cash for a game in one week. It's a helluva lot of cash for anything in one week. They're definitely making some nice profits, if that's what you're worried about. Are profits higher than Gears or Bioshock? Probably but I have no idea. But then again I don't really care.

Those XBL stats are interesting. Congrats to Bungie for putting out something that won't be topped in sales for quite some time, unless it's by Halo 4.

and these tears I've been drinking are delicious!

[quote name='zewone']lawlz @ the halo hate.

go watch some anime.[/QUOTE]
I think I will watch some anime. Rather watch some hardcore yaoi than play another second of Halo 3.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I think I will watch some anime. Rather watch some hardcore yaoi than play another second of Halo 3.[/QUOTE]
That's some foul stuff right there.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I think I will watch some anime. Rather watch some hardcore yaoi than play another second of Halo 3.[/quote]Just out of curiosity, how long did you play Halo 3 and what didn't you like about it?

[quote name='daroga']Just out of curiosity, how long did you play Halo 3 and what didn't you like about it?[/QUOTE]

Clearly, not enough cel shaded effeminate boys kissing each other in provocative costumes.

Pink armor just doesn't cut it.

Wow, someone says they didn't like Halo 3 and the wolf pack desends.

Internetz is serious business.

EDIT - Sorry, teh Haloz is serious business.

DMK where you at?

Halo 3 tops Japanese sales charts.

h3japanta3.jpg

[quote name='SL4IN']as far as I am concerned, halo 3 is the fastest gossing game of all time. I saw nothing in there to back up the statement that it is the fastest selling game of all time. all it said number wise was the HALO TRILOGY sold 20 million units worldwide. that means ALL 3 halo games where counted in that.

the last time I checked, pokemon diamond and pearl where the fastest selling games of all time, with 1.6 million copies sold in japan in the first week, with almost double that sold in the first 5 days in america.[/QUOTE]
You know, Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl are two games, not one. Plus, the numbers I'm reading don't put their combined US sales at 3+ mil in the first week. I also can't find 2 sites that agree on what their first week sales were in the US, I can go further in depth on this if you can find what their actual sales were.

Seriously, who gives a crap? Are you lives, in any way, affected by this? No. So move on and find something else completely meaningless to argue about.

LOL, anime. I don't get it. AT ALL.

Its like getting all of the cliched story, characters, and other boring rubbish from games, except without the fun game parts! WOW!

The halo hate is just so knee jerk and reactionary. I don't understand how you can hate a game that provides such a complete single player, multiplayer, customizable, community based package. Other than the Orange Box, nothing this year provides as much value in one box. Even if you dont personally like it you've got to respect that.

Odd how these haters probably have no problem that MGS4 is selling its multiplayer seperately on an incredibly higher capacity media. Why do you suppose that is? ;)

[quote name='daroga']Just out of curiosity, how long did you play Halo 3 and what didn't you like about it?[/QUOTE]
4-6 hours. I pretty much didn't like any of it except the Forge.
[quote name='Strell']Clearly, not enough cel shaded effeminate boys kissing each other in provocative costumes.

Pink armor just doesn't cut it.[/quote]
No one with blue hair either. That's what pretty much ruined the whole game.
LOL, anime. I don't get it. AT ALL.

Its like getting all of the cliched story, characters, and other boring rubbish from games, except without the fun game parts! WOW!

The halo hate is just so knee jerk and reactionary. I don't understand how you can hate a game that provides such a complete single player, multiplayer, customizable, community based package. Other than the Orange Box, nothing this year provides as much value in one box. Even if you dont personally like it you've got to respect that.

Odd how these haters probably have no problem that MGS4 is selling its multiplayer seperately on an incredibly higher capacity media. Why do you suppose that is?
If I don't like the core game they can pile on as many toppings as they like, I still won't like it. Nothing to do with it being popular or I wouldn't like RE4 or Bioshock. I just don't like the damn game.

As for MGS4, I highly doubt I'll be buying the multiplayer unless it's a very reasonable price. Wasn't a huge fan of MGO with Subsistance.

Orange Box is going to kick ass. Half-Life 2 is actually a good shooter.

[quote name='zewone']DMK where you at?

Halo 3 tops Japanese sales charts.

h3japanta3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Three cheers for selling 3% of the world's copies of Halo! You love the 360, Japan, don'tcha?

(I estimated the percentage of 60K sales relative to 2 million worldwide sales, which is, IMO, rather conservative).

I wonder if any of the Japanese bought the Legendary edition.

I bet there's at least a dozen of them who have apartments big enough to house that helmet.

They'd have to get rid of their cat. Probably unlikely.

The cheap and easy joke is that every Japanese 360 title is a limited edition, I suppose.

ok, definitely did not see those Japanese numbers coming... :lol: Not that it'll be up there next week, but that's still a milestone for MS in Japan.

And Oblivion PS3 at #9?!

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Seriously, who gives a crap? Are you lives, in any way, affected by this? No. So move on and find something else completely meaningless to argue about.[/QUOTE]
The irony is ironic.

ugh, since you've bothered to summon me here, I'll humor you

Stuff gets into the top 10 or very top their first week all the time. Especially when theres nothing big on the plate.

Heres a record for you that you wont find anywhere else, because I flipped through a bunch of back catalogue Media-Create charts myself, just now:

59k is the 3rd lowest #1 in the charts in all of 2007. Here are your winners:

Week ending May 27: Kekkaishi: Tale of the Raven Forest (DS)(Bandai) 42k.
Week ending Feb 11: VF5 (PS3) - 51k

Not a single #1 slot in the entirety of 2006 was as low as Halo 3.

So basically, they picked a really good week to launch Halo 3. The odds of it being beat by damn near ANYTHING were very high.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
Heres a record for you that you wont find anywhere else, because I flipped through a bunch of back catalogue Media-Create charts myself, just now:

[/quote]Congratulations, you're wasting your life.

To me Halo 3 feels like a revolutionary step forward for the console industry with the replay features, Forge mode, stat tracking, file sharing, 4 player co-op meta-game, etc. It will be years before most games catch up to the features in Halo 3.

Fanboys are trying to write off the success of Halo as nothing more than hype, but this game legitimately deserves it's success. Every game developer in the industry better be playing Halo 3 and taking notes.

I've played through the campaign twice already and now I want to go back and play through the past Halo games again. It's just such a great experience (well except for that crappy Flood level).

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']It took all of like 10 minutes, hardly a waste compared to say, you breathing.[/quote]Ooooh, burn. Only 10 minutes huh? You must do a good job seperating all your Media-Create charts from your hentai graphic novels and Cho Aniki fan fiction, so you can find everything you need as quickly as possible!

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Ooooh, burn. Only 10 minutes huh? You must do a good job seperating all your Media-Create charts from your hentai graphic novels and Cho Aniki fan fiction, so you can find everything you need as quickly as possible![/QUOTE]
Ignoring a valid point and just making a broad generalization about the person. Nice.

[quote name='mykevermin']Three cheers for selling 3% of the world's copies of Halo! You love the 360, Japan, don'tcha?

(I estimated the percentage of 60K sales relative to 2 million worldwide sales, which is, IMO, rather conservative).[/quote]

There's only one PS3 game in that chart, seems they don't love the PS3 too much either.

I suppose people only buy them in Japan to play Blu-Ray movies.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Ignoring a valid point and just making a broad generalization about the person. Nice.[/quote]Ignoring previous insults which called for such generalizations. Nice. Why don't you and Chart Boy go get a room?

bread's done
Back