Halo 4 without Bungie. What does it all mean!!

5of9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
First off, i'm a halo fan-boy so i don't care how much it sux,how much better COD is,blah,blah,blah.

I'm just curious how the "behind the scenes" stuff will all wash out with Bungie apparently not being involved in Halo4.

Bungie is currently celebrating their 20th year in business and 10 yrs with the halo franchise, with this being their last year.

the Halo 2 servers are shut down but when H4 comes out i'm sure Reach and H3(maybe not) will still be popular on-line games. will there be any copyright infringement kinda stuff with 2 companies basically running the same franchise?
any corporate in-fighting,intrigue?

Or should i not worry about it and fret about the economy instead?

I think Microsoft owns the Halo IP, so there can't possibly be an infringements.

Similar to infinity Ward and Treyarch working on the COD games, Activision owns the IP and pays developers to make the games. It's pretty simple.

I really didn't care much for the story in Halo 2 and 3, but liked the direction Bungie took the ODST and Reach games for single players. I hope 343 adds more to the multi gameplay. Bungie's efforts with Reach felt incomplete. There were only a couple armor locks and small, but significant changes to the core shooting system.

I am looking forward to Bungie's next game, whatever that may be.

i have to think itll be like that shot for shot remake of psycho vince vaughn did years ago. same game but it will look diff maybe add in whatever new "innovations" theyve made to the series since the last game.

Microsoft owns the halo franchise, not bungie.

And I think its pretty evident what is going on with halo 4, nothing. Microsoft announced HD remake of halo so that more or less means that no originality or ability to make one thats worth a shit.

You wont find out about halo 4 till whatever the next xbox system is, MS will shit one out so they can cash in on the games name for when they launch their next system. At best they will try and get one out for next holidays in 2012 and it will be mediocre at best like the other halos.

[quote name='gargus']Microsoft owns the halo franchise, not bungie.

And I think its pretty evident what is going on with halo 4, nothing. Microsoft announced HD remake of halo so that more or less means that no originality or ability to make one thats worth a shit.

You wont find out about halo 4 till whatever the next xbox system is, MS will shit one out so they can cash in on the games name for when they launch their next system. At best they will try and get one out for next holidays in 2012 and it will be mediocre at best like the other halos.[/QUOTE]

Halo 4 was officially announced at E3.

http://i.joystiq.com/2011/06/06/halo-4/

All the Halo FPS games have been generally identical, but I feel like this is finally going to be the real change for the franchise. Now that they have so much experience and money off of such an overrated line of software, I think perhaps we may finally see something special, and that's why we're being brought the next "trilogy."

So this is the first Halo in a while that has me interested. Although Killzone developers didn't learn much, beyond getting funded enough to make their work look prettier. Halo is much better than KZ though.

I think it means that it won't be as good. Everything I saw in Reach just screamed passion. Bungie knew it was their last hurrah with the franchise and they pulled out everything to make it great. I don't know if Microsoft will have that sort of attitude.

Plus I was kind of okay with Master Chief being gone. I had more than enough fun with ODST and Reach filling in gaps around his story.

I realize it's on two different levels but it'd be like if they came out with a Star Wars movie starring Luke Skywalker after the rebellion. I don't need it. His story is complete. Make a Star Wars movie about, I dunno, Vader's campaigns against the remaining Jedi Knights leading up to the theft of the Death Star plans or something.

[quote name='Digital Phoenix']It means that they've found another developer that wants to milk the franchise, seeing as Bungie doesn't want to anymore.[/QUOTE]

They didn't found one. They created one for Halo stuff.

What does it mean?

We'll get an overhyped product that reviewers will say "surpasses all expectations" but when gamers play it they will say in unison "it's horrendous."

[quote name='Digital Phoenix']It means that they've found another developer that wants to milk the franchise, seeing as Bungie doesn't want to anymore.[/QUOTE]

Compared to other game franchises out there, Halo is kind of far from being "milked". Halo series had 4 main games in 10 years. If you count Halo Wars (which was not even a FPS) and Halo 3: ODST (which was not a full retail game), that will be only 6 Halo games total since 2001. You have to keep your fans happy and interested and you have to make some kind of money. Noticed how every time a new Halo game comes out it breaks some first day sales record? That's because gamers have been waiting for quite some time.

Now, on the other hand, popular series like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell, and God of War all first came out YEARS AFTER Halo 1, but their series all already have MORE games than the Halo series. Not to mention sport franchises that release a new game every year when a simple update to the roster every other year would suffice.

Not a bad point at all. Assassin's Creed was released...what...November 2007? You've got 3 main games already (AC, AC2, Brotherhood). You have Revelations already scheduled for a release at the end of the year. Plus, you have all of the side games on the handhelds. Won't even bother listing all of the Call of Duty games. Point is, if a game franchise is insanely popular and sells a lot of games, publishers and developers are going to want to keep pumping out titles in those franchises. It's called good business. If no one wants them, no one will buy them, and then the minds behind them will move onto something else.

Churning out sequels is a short-sighted business move. Look at Guitar Hero. The first one came out on PS2 in (off the top of my head) 2005, some four years after the first Halo game and a year after Halo 2. Fast forward to 2011 and we're 3 Halo games further onward with more to come while Guitar Hero has filled up clearance bins across the country with spinoffs that no one wants.

Someday we might get a relaunch of GH but if they hadn't churned out like 4 titles a year and instead worried about improving each installment in significant ways, they could be releasing Guitar Hero 4 this year and everyone would be excited about it.

[quote name='UnrivaledSHOGUN']Compared to other game franchises out there, Halo is kind of far from being "milked". Halo series had 4 main games in 10 years. If you count Halo Wars (which was not even a FPS) and Halo 3: ODST (which was not a full retail game), that will be only 6 Halo games total since 2001. You have to keep your fans happy and interested and you have to make some kind of money. Noticed how every time a new Halo game comes out it breaks some first day sales record? That's because gamers have been waiting for quite some time.

Now, on the other hand, popular series like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell, and God of War all first came out YEARS AFTER Halo 1, but their series all already have MORE games than the Halo series. Not to mention sport franchises that release a new game every year when a simple update to the roster every other year would suffice.[/QUOTE]
If Halo CE Anniversary and Halo 4 come out on time, that's four years in a row with a Halo game and that's very much unlike the way releases were spaced for the first three games. Halo 5 & 6 will probably be out in 2013 and 2014, so it looks like Halo is a yearly franchise for Microsoft now.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of a Halo 4. I'm willing to give a pass re: Halo 1 because of the 10 year anniversary but there's a reason that Sony and Nintendo don't crap out annual Uncharteds, Zeldas, Marios, God of Wars, etc. They're supposed to be something you look forward to for a very long time.

i knew of doom, i knew of wolfenstein, i knew of rise of the triad, i knew of blood

but never even heard of the game marathon, until people were like bungie made this awesome game before halo. talk

[quote name='Halo05']Sony and Nintendo don't crap out annual Uncharteds, Zeldas, Marios, God of Wars, etc. They're supposed to be something you look forward to for a very long time.[/QUOTE]

they still do it too, just on a smaller scale. they change things up, reach and odst were both shooters, only thing halo thats not halo is halo wars.

i would prefer it if they made halo karts

[quote name='timesplitt']i knew of doom, i knew of wolfenstein, i knew of rise of the triad, i knew of blood

but never even heard of the game marathon, until people were like bungie made this awesome game before halo. talk

they still do it too, just on a smaller scale. they change things up, reach and odst were both shooters, only thing halo thats not halo is halo wars.

i would prefer it if they made halo karts[/QUOTE]

ROFL! I second Halo Kart! We need a good Halo racing game for sure. LOL

Suck it Mario!

[quote name='KingBroly']What does it mean?

We'll get an overhyped product that reviewers will say "surpasses all expectations" but when gamers play it they will say in unison "it's horrendous."[/QUOTE]

Or maybe it'll actually be good this time. Aside from Reach I thought all the Halo games had very forgettable and pretty boring campaigns.

bread's done
Back