Halo Reach beanie hat giveaway

When I was around 12 years old, I found a wallet laying on the ground. I opened it up and was surprised to discover three $100 bills inside along with a driver's license. I showed my dad and he asked me what I wanted to do with it. I told him that I wanted to give it to the owner since he might need the money to buy food or pay rent. My dad drove me to the address on the license and I walked to the door and rang the bell. The man who answered the door gruffly said that he had lost his wallet and snatched it from my hand. He flipped through it to verify that I hadn't taken anything, said "Thanks," and slammed the door in my face with no reward at all.

I would *love* one of those Halo Beanies for my wife and would gladly pay for the shipping cost! Thanks!

Not this last winter, but the one before Milwaukee just got hit with this crazy snow storm, I mean up to the knees over night. A buddy of mine had been forced to crash at my place due to the storm so when we got up we knew we were going to have to dig our cars out (the snow was up the freaking window on my car which sat kind of low!). So we went out and dug our cars out. We then decided to do the sidewalk and front porch of my house even though it was actually the upstairs neighbors job (it was a family and usually the kids did it but we couldn't imagine them moving all this snow).

We then saw a neighbor trying to dig her car out with a broom (she didn't have a shovel) so we helped her. Figuring why not, we then went and dug out a couple of apartment buildings bottom driveways that had been made completely impassible due to the snow plows and then started going down the block digging cars out. Before we knew it the two of us had dug out almost half the cars on the block. (at least 2 dozen) In the process we also helped get 4 cars trying to drive around unstuck. Literally spent the entire morning and afternoon moving snow (easily 6 hours). But most of my block was families and college age girls with no shovels to move the snow so if we hadn't done it most of these people would of been stuck. The really cool part though was after a while other people in the neighborhood saw us hard at work and decided to help out. Just cool to think how me and my friend helping a few people out turned into a block full of people who mostly hadn't met each other (it being a college area most people didn't stay in one spot for much more than a year at a time) all pitching in and helping each other out.

I honestly don't know how many cars we dug out that day, or how many pounds of snow we moved, but between that and the fact my job actually closed down for the day due to the snow, we drank heavily that night and felt pretty good about it too.

Just want to add after reading the thread that whoever the winners end up being, this was one of the better contest ideas I've seen on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the other day at the halo launch event at my local gamestop. They quized us about halo and i answered a question correct. So I won a promo poster(One of those huge ones). Since I already bought one (the ones walmart sells) I handed it to a kid who was there with his mom.

Dude, I would love to have one of those. I would take good care of it and probably not even wear it but put it on a little dummy head and display it. I really like to collect things like this. Good luck guys and gals.

Edit: Forgot the story.

I actually did this a few weeks ago. I live in KY and the weather here gets warm but mostly humid so if you don't have anything to cool you down it can make life a pain. Anyway, one of my friends had to decide between paying his electric bill or buying is daughter food. To make a long story short I paid his bill for two months to give him a break and catch up on his bills. Pay it forward and stuff.

I am a Police Officer and as much of a bad rap as we get from time to time, I really enjoy helping people. Just last year myself and a Deputy Sheriff jumped into a fast running river to rescue a female that was drowning. She was a drug user and wanted to kill herself when a passer by heard her calling for help under a bridge. As we arrived she got swept away by the current. We had to run along the river to keep up with her because she was about 30 feet from the bank. Thank God that the current brought her in close enough to a sandbar that the Deputy and myself were able to drag her from the water. If she would have gotten past that pointed sandbar we would not have been able to save her. This was something we did with no thought for our own safety or hoping to be rewarded for. We did however receive a Lifesaver Award from the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association. There has been numerous times in my 20 year career of helping people or running into burning houses to get people out but this river rescue will be one I never forget.

When i was back in my hometown not too long ago . . by myself for the weekend. The family was back at home 300 miles away . . in town for some legal matters. Anyways at the local gas station , when a guy comes up to me & asked for some money . . I always ask whats it for?? He replied a bus ticket for me & my wife . . wheres your wife at?? Pointed over next to the pay phone , looked over & she was preggers. This had me intrigued so I asked what the situation is . . said he was stranded & trying to get to Dallas to his in-laws (which couldnt come get them due to Dallas , TX being over 500 miles away). Anyways I replied . . ' tell you what i'm kinda going that way ( not really . . my legal issues in town were over & going to Dallas then back to my where I lived would cost me my whole weekend . . . YIKES!!) asked him how would you like a ride from me?? Looked at me kinda weird . . he said I'll talk to my wife & see if shes alrite with it. I replied . . no prob!! 10 min. later we were on the road to Dallas . . yea it was a long trip. But I helped them out . . hell a bus ticket wouldve cost them quite a bit & I never carry any cash on me. Anyways hey I enjoy helping people out sometimes . .

I regularly help people carry bulky packages into the post office. Some people don't realize how heavy those things are until they've finished packing them.

I'm a computer engineering major and one day in the computer lab while working on a program someone was getting really frustrated with something and I decided to go help them out with it, it turned out to be a simple misspelling of a command, it really made their day that I helped them out

Dressed up as Santa and gave toys away for Toys For Tots.

I've donated some DLC codes here...more giveaway than anything. Though I did ask for something. The request for them had to be a PM so lurkers didn't get it.

Oh oh oh! I joined the military to serve my country before 9-11 and reenlisted after...best 11 years of my life so far.

When I worked as a store clerk for a summer HS job, a woman dropped her car keys when trying to pick up a watermelon and it slid all the way to the bottom of the giant box. There was no way to reach them without taking almost all of the watermelons out, which is what I did. I also put them back in after we got the keys.

I was at the mall, with my family. I'm sitting on the benches as my mom and sister go into Forever 21 :roll:

Well, anyway I was sitting next to some chick. She picked up her cell, got up real quick with her two bags and and went walking somewhere. I turned to my left as I took out my PSP from my pocket and noticed that she dropped a $20. I call out to her, and she doesn't turn around (although I look like a damn moron yelling out; everyone heard me except for her :p).

So I run up to her with the $20, ask if it's hers, and she thanks me. It didn't go further than that (unfortunately; she was smoking hot ), but still, it made my day and I felt good about it. Even if it was only $20.

I live in an appartment building with at least 50% elderly people. This past winter we had several snowstorms with 2+ feet of snow.

One time I got called off work for the day and spent the entire morning digging anyone out that I came upon that needed help.

My friends and I worked together to build a computer. We were going to sell it for a profit, but instead we saw a charity that someone was advertising in the our school for children with a very rare illness. We decided to donate all of our profits to them because we felt it was the right thing to do.

I was walking from the parking lot in Meijer one time and an old lady asked me if I could help her load her watermelon and other items into her car. So I did and I thought nothing of it but still felt pretty good that I did something for someone

Was during the winter many years ago when I was shoveling snow at night for my neighbors. When I first stepped out of the house I saw a lone kid standing under a building with a outcropping roof, shielding himself from the snow.

He had one of those party bags with him and was like 10 or so, so I thought he was just waiting for his parents to pick him up from the party. So as I was shoveling snow for roughly 2 hours. Finished one side and started working up the other way that the kid stood, when I got halfway near the kid I looked at my watch and saw it's been 2 hours, so I went up to the kid and asked him if we was okay. he was shy at first and didn't answer so I started asking him if he was waiting for somebody.

He told me yes his mother, but she was late. I then ran back to my house nearby and made him and I some hot chocolate, walked back out and offered him some and lent him my cell phone so he could call his parents. I sat with him for roughly 15 minutes or so before his parents finally came.

They both thanked me and promptly left happily though they were both almost in tears.

Well, I'll be honest with you I haven't done much of these lately, the only time I can remember is when I was working at a pizza place and the lady didn't have enough to purchase the pizza so I gave her some money I had in my wallet. Thats about it.

I was leaving a restaurant and an old man was sitting on the curb and he looked up at me and said, "spare some change." All I had to last me the rest of the week was ten dollars, but I decided that I would be fine, and gave him all of the money that I had.

Picked up a wallet with $164 in US dollars and a bunch of Chinese money or something like that. Took it to the police department.
That's not really doing something for someone directly, but it did help whoever picked it up at the police department. :D

At work a few years back, we had a Secret Santa party, and everyone was complaining about who's name they got, and they kept saying "who wants a $10 gift anyway?" (they were all rich bitches). So I said a ton of people would be grateful for a $10 gift, and I suggested we buy gifts for Toys for Tots instead of each other. 90% of my co-workers did not want to do it, but myself and a few others did. It felt so good to convince at least a few people to donate.

My wife and I have also donated money to an Autism foundation and the ASPCA.

Thanks for the contest opportunity!

[quote name='Jodou']This story taken from Shawshank Redemption? Was his name Andy lol?[/QUOTE]

I've got both letters from the little girl and the inmate in my car if you'd like me to scan them. Dickweed.

I was leaving the local taco bell when I saw an older shabby looking guy casually wandering about in front of the entrance, I work up the nerve to ask if he wanted one of my extra tacos I had bought. He didn't speak english so he just pointed to the building shaking his head. Turned out his family was inside ordering food and he decided to wait outside. So embarassing.

[quote name='tglaz18']I am a Police Officer and as much of a bad rap as we get from time to time, I really enjoy helping people. .[/QUOTE]

This guy should get one. The VERY LEAST a cop deserves is a free beanie.

While in college, I had a number of friends who were less fortunate than myself. They were in my Anime Club at school, and I knew they did not have much money to go to conventions and buy related items.

When I graduated and got a job, I decided to give back a bit to them all. I sent one of them a few posters and a wallscroll. I bought some DVDs and game them each one from various anime series. When we all went to convention that summer after graduation, I offered to drive and did not ask for gas money. I even paid for the room and discounted their shares by taking out the occupancy and taxes (8% and 5% of the total prices respectively). It felt good being able to give my friends things they enjoyed and ensure they were able to go on fun trips.

I gave one of my co-workers my kidney. He had advanced diabetes (He was way down on the transplant list because of this) and was in renal failure with 10% kidney function left, so I went and got checked. We matched 3 out of 6 markers so I donated. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

Alright everyone I do believe I have enough replies.

Thanks so much for all of your stories, I will now take the time to carefully review all of them and will Pm 3 users I have decided to give each hat to and ask for their shipping address. I will decide this by picking the ten top stories and put those user's names on scraps of paper and draw them from a hat- A Halo Reach hat.

Now I will say I want these hats to be Worn and not just thrown in the closet or on something to collect dust in the house, these hats were made for winter wear and that's what I hope they will be used for.

Also in answer to another's post, yes I did get these hats from Wal-Mart at the Halo Reach release party and they have no issue with me giving the hats away on here.

Thank you once again for all your posts and best of luck to you all. :)

Alright I have read all of the entries and I must say they are alot of interesting stories, I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume all stories are true.

I will now start deciding on the best stories, draw the winners, and Pm them.

[quote name='Spyder187']My thoughts exactly.[/QUOTE]

thankyou.jpg

That's the one from the little girl, I don't have the time nor energy to scan the prisoners letter. Regardless I hope this makes you feel like an jerk.

[quote name='Izod517']

That's the one from the little girl, I don't have the time nor energy to scan the prisoners letter. Regardless I hope this makes you feel like an jerk.[/QUOTE]

I don't think people were doubting you, just pointing our the humor of how much it sounded like a certain Stephen King novel.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']
Now I will say I want these hats to be Worn and not just thrown in the closet or on something to collect dust in the house, these hats were made for winter wear and that's what I hope they will be used for.

[/QUOTE]

Did I mention that I live in Minneapolis now, where it is very cold. :lol:

There were a lot of good entries, easy to pick ten. Good luck everyone!

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']

[/QUOTE]

Did I mention that I live in Minneapolis now, where it is very cold. :lol:

There were a lot of good entries, easy to pick ten. Good luck everyone!

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']That's right, so good in fact I had to make a top 15!

Sorry for the delay I got alittle busy.

I will be doing the drawing now...[/QUOTE]

Someone do a drum roll! (Might be a long drum roll XD)

[quote name='Torazo']Someone do a drum roll! (Might be a long drum roll XD)[/QUOTE]

baaddaddadadadadadadadadadadadadadaddadadadadadadadadadadadaddadadadaaum

tsh

Here are the top 15 in aplhabetical order:

5 of 9
Budzmcgee
C-loey
Feroca
Izod517
Jerajdai
Ninjalunchbox79
Pacific Karma
Rhu
Rossemaszczak
Skram
Tglaz18
Tmstar
Will530
XXII death IIXX

If your Username is not here please do not think that I didn't find that what you did was not important, it was very hard for me to choose, and I wish I had more prizes to give.
Now to put the names in a Halo Reach and and draw 3...

Special mentions:

EnronLackey- I really want to know if your boss does remember you from the time you helped him

IronsideGrunt- You're pretty awesome there and even more so because I would have included you in the drawing too but you said you didn't want a hat.

The Keyboard Wizard- what you did was awesome too and you would have been in the drawing too but you live in Texas where it's nice and hot and probably won't need a winter hat, I live next door to TX by the way in NM.

TheHapaone- I wanted to know which branch of the military are you in?

Alright that's it, I will mail the packages out once I get all three addresses so I can do them all at once.

Thank you all I had fun reading all of your stories and I want to wish you all the best.

Thank you for playing!

I recall a time when I was around 14 and visiting a family member in orlando by myself, I lent this sketchy looking gentleman my cellphone so he could call someone in order to "get paid" as he put it.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']Special mentions:

EnronLackey- I really want to know if your boss does remember you from the time you helped him[/QUOTE]

Actually .. it took him a moment then he let out a big smile, then he told my boss that he made the right choice .. he eventually told everyone that I help him with his LCD .. I was there till I had to move back to Houston, TX .. great boss / family man .. but man, does he love to party with the crew .. it pretty cool to see the bossman having a great time and his face go all red when he is pretty smashed .. and his family still touchyfeely .. .. .. going to call him soon to check up on him ^_^

bread's done
Back