Halo Wars...Sucess or failure

aznpersuasion

CAGiversary!
For those who haven't heard...bungie release their license to ensemble (the makers of age of empire) to make a real-time strategy game...like lord of the rings battle for middle earth for those to don't know what rts is.
The trailer is out on halowars.com and on xbox live marketplace under bring it home. check out the trailer it looks awesome and it is suppose to take place before halo 1...but the question is are they goin to be too limited since rts games are all about the different varieties in vehicles, buildings, and troops...i doubt bungie will let ensemble introduce anything new before bungie puts it in there game first....

Well Cagers what do u think about this so call halo wars

It could be good, but we haven't really seen enough of it yet. There's also the undeniable possibility that it could end up being a quick cash-in...

[quote name='spoo']Makers of Age of Empire + Halo + RTS made for a console from the ground up = Success[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.. Age of Empires 2 was the best shit ever. I trust them with it.

I think its a smart move on Microsoft - expanding the Halo universe beyond the FPS games. Age of Empires is no slouch on the RTS market either.

[quote name='aznpersuasion']For those who haven't heard...bungie release their license to ensemble (the makers of age of empire) to make a real-time strategy game...like lord of the rings battle for middle earth for those to don't know what rts is.
The trailer is out on halowars.com and on xbox live marketplace under bring it home. check out the trailer it looks awesome and it is suppose to take place before halo 1...but the question is are they goin to be too limited since rts games are all about the different varieties in vehicles, buildings, and troops...i doubt bungie will let ensemble introduce anything new before bungie puts it in there game first....

Well Cagers what do u think about this so call halo wars[/QUOTE]

It's also pretty obvious that there will be some as-of-yet unseen stuff in there: there are pretty clearly human aircraft and troop transports in the trailer that haven't been in the games yet.

Halo Wars is the type of thing that makes people who don't play strategy games, play a strategy game.

It's what Halo started out as anyway and Bungie has a good track record with strategy games as well, so I'm sure they passed many of their ideas onto Ensemble. I've got really high hopes for this (and I don't normally play strategy games). :)

I haven't seen a whole lot of information on this so maybe it hasn't even been announced yet but when is the release date? I think that will play into its success or failure. If it launches before Halo 3 people will buy it just because of the lack of Halo.

total failure. hasn't even sold a single copy yet. even Mary Kate and Ashley's Horse Adventure has sold more.

I love RTS games, but I hope they get the controls down. Its going to be hard to better mouse/keyboard.

The Halo universe is ripe for some RTS play, but we haven't seen a single screenshot. I hate when companies announce a game with zero actual gameplay.

MY PREDICTION:

The game has a very bendable, modable system, similar to most RTS' on computers. Anyone will be able to mod Halo Wars using Game Studio Express, and Microsoft will capitalize by offering official mods, new units, and other downloads both for creating and playing mods... for some microsoft points.

Yet again, Microsoft is using Halo as a pioneer for their latest experiments.

This game is an instant success; last time I checked, it had "Halo" in the title. That means millions of people will buy it without caring for its content.

face it folks, that game wont sell....period, who was expecting HALO RTS, its a joke right, microsoft?

oops. sorry it will sell, to pc rts fans, but will pc fans get into halo rts, pc fans, doesnt necesarily play pc games, so.....

I think it will sell very well, and probably be very good. But I see a lot of people buying this not knowing what a rts game is and being dissapointed.

[quote name='Number83']Has Ensemble Studios ever made a bad game? RTS's are what they do. Success.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts too. If they had been foolish enough to hand off to someone else I'd have some bigger concerns, but Ensemble has proven that can pretty much do RTS games better than anyone else. They went to the best there is IMO, therefore it's certainly leaning much closer to success in my book.

[quote name='Z-Saber']If I give you $5, will you make that even harder to read?[/QUOTE]

If thats toward me, what im saying if you like rts then this will probably be a good one. People who don't know what an rts is will buy it because its halo. These people will then be dissapointed because they might not like the genre.

[quote name='robzilla']If thats toward me, what im saying if you like rts then this will probably be a good one. People who don't know what an rts is will buy it because its halo. These people will then be dissapointed because they might not like the genre.[/quote]I wasn't talking to you. I was actually referring to the post above yours. You and I posted in the same minute.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I wasn't talking to you. I was actually referring to the post above yours. You and I posted in the same minute.[/QUOTE]

My apologies then.

[quote name='red flare graf']Pretty much.. Age of Empires 2 was the best shit ever. I trust them with it.[/quote]

Agreed...game sucked 4 years of my life away...

It really depends. Halo Wars will cater to a completely different crowd of gamers. Halo fans are FPS fans. They play Halo for running and gunning. Your average Halo player will probably not give two shits about Halo Wars. However, Halo players who are legitimately interested in the Halo Universe and Halo storyline will jump all over this (myself included). I also figure that because it is an RTS (a huge market of gamers, and it is indeed do-able on a console, ala Battle for Middle Earth II) and it is Halo. Halo and RTS. C'mon. It doesn't get much better than that. Halo and anything. Well almost anything. I'd be hard-pressed to like a Halo Racing game....well maybe.

Commercially this'll be a success. Halo Horse Adventures would sell millions of copies.

As for the game itself, I think it has a chance to be excellent. Ensemble is very good at what they do, and they've demonstrated their ability to work within the constraints of a fairly narrowly defined license (Star Wars), and still make a quality product.

Smart move by Microsoft, Ensemble is one of the better studios they own, and they haven't made a single game for Xbox or 360.

I'd say I was pretty impressed with the concept trailer they showed. Now if they said that Halo 3 and Halo Wars would be a one-two punch for next Christmas, they'd have me sold.

I've been wanting to see a Halo RTS for a long time now, and I'm sure it will be a great game, since Ensemble is one of two studios I wanted to see make it (Big Huge Games being the other).

I will say failure. I still don't even know what the heck is a HALO???WTN? and the only Halo game I ever played was that fan made game that is decent enough for a gba port but is just shows me that HALO is run and shoot. If it was bomberman then I could understand but this HALO character is just army man run off that makes me laugh.

I mean come on. Aliens that speaks backwards and thinks man is this evil being oh wow ans then there is that game where the magical creatures thinks man is this being that can weild tools so they nuke the entire planet. Give me a break.

Yes Go HALO Sega necopolis.

[quote name='cyrix`']Any word on keyboard+mouse support thru usb? I'd love that.[/quote]

lets first get some ingame pics or videos.

bread's done
Back