Handheld review site focused on commuters

nathansu

Banned
Hi all,

I've been around CAG for quite some time now, mostly trading here and there. A buddy of mine noticed a ton of people who commute to work (on the train, subway, bus, etc) tend to play a DS/PSP on the way to work/their destination. After noting this, we also noted that the both of us play hand held games _differently_ on the go than we would if we were at home. Thus, we decided to start a website that specifically caters to reviews _for_people_who_game_while_commuting_.

The site follows a fairly standard blog format, with 1-2 reviews planned per week. Here and there I post hand held news I feel is interesting in general in addition to the reviews, as well as some color commentary from time to time.

The site just launched this week so things are still being tweaked a bit. Reviews will start to pile in this week, and _hopefully_ I'll have some videos of me reviewing on the train up on Youtube in a few weeks.

Anyhow - just wanted to alert everyone to this, because I think it's an interesting slant on reviewing handheld games. If you have any questions or want to discuss the idea, please feel free to post on the forums or reply in the comments section of the site! We'd love some feedback on any aspect of the site setup, review format (once they come out), or anything else you can think of to comment on.

www.commuting-gamer.com

[quote name='Chacrana']$...?[/quote]

Well - it's difficult to understand the difference between gaming at home on a DS/PSP or gaming on the way to work (or just randomly heading somewhere and gaming). I didn't really notice a difference in how I reacted to features in a game while going to work vs. playing at home until fairly recently.

A great example is this - I love the Zelda title on the DS, but can't stand playing it on the go. I tried playing it on the way to work, and it was one of the most irritating exercises I've ever attempted, mostly because of the control system. I'm swaying around with the train, and it's as difficult as hell to keep good control _distinctly_ with the stylus in game, which makes me want to throw my DS out the window. If I were at home sitting on the couch, I wouldn't have such a problem.

Either way I think it's an interesting slant on how you view the quality of handheld titles. It's even more interesting to discuss _why_ you like or dislike playing certain games on the road vs. at home simply because of the weird exceptions like the one I mentioned above in the Zelda DS title. While these types of discussions may not be relevant if you don't really game much on the go, they are certainly relevant if you spend the majority of your handheld gaming time on the go (like I do).

We're hoping the site can be a medium for this type of discussion.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']pictures, you need pictures.

and a theme that doesn't look like an MSword layout.[/quote]

Yeah the theme needs a lot of work, it's the most simplistic and not overly artsy Wordpress theme I could find thus far. I'll probably end up tweaking another theme I like a lot at some point in time, but I'd like to get some actual content on the site first.

We really appreciate the input, pics shall be flowing aplenty in the future!

[quote name='adamsappel']Interesting idea. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks, we think the view we're taking on this is fairly unique and should make for fun discussions :).

Some reviews will be popping up this weekend!

[quote name='saahil']I like the Idea but gaming sites need pictures![/quote]

Note taken :). I just put up a post about Bangai-O for the DS and included pics :).

bread's done
Back