Hands on test of the Nintendo DS: ME!!

mousin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
today my local game crazy had the DS on display, i thought it was just some plastic thing till i went and picked it up, and started the metroid prime demo. you know how amazing it is for that hand held? very amazing. the screen is so perfectly lit, and the controls are awesome. took 1 min to figure out the whole thing. bad thing about it is the pen for the touch screen doesnt have a storage compartment, so you must put it in a pocket, besides that, the Nintendo DS is a must for anyone looking for a portable. best portable since gameboy came out. now the DS? amazing. all i can say is i got it preordered and fulled fully. =] any other questions? only thing i want them to change about it is to have a storage compartment for the pen, so it doesnt get lost or anything.

edit: my bad, the koisk at the GC wasnt the actual pen, scroll down for a pic of it!!! woot!!

Yeah, some people saw it at BB a few weeks ago.. I played around with it yesterday.. kinda cool, but the 3D on a handheld kinda made me sick.

Yep. I played the demo. I like how the stylus can be used to move aim while your right hand controls your steps... (for us lefties!) I thought there was a place on the DS to put the stylus?

nope, i checked, and i asked the workers at GC. they also said it doesnt have one, so i said so i have to put it in my pocket? they said or you can leave it at home. =[

It does have a spot for the Stylus. Its right on top of the system. That huge pen strapped to the demo kiosks is not the actual stylus.

I played it at as well, and it confirmed exactly what I feared. This this is impossible to play as a handheld. You'd have to set the thing on a table or something in order to get the full range you need in order to play metroid, and the controls that dont use the stylus suck. I'll see how other games shape up before I drop my money on one of these, or at least until there are cooler colors and games that can't be resisted.

well we have them in the back room at gamestop now. we cant sell them until sunday though.

Isn't the storage for the stylus on the back (the bottom next to where the games go in?)

I wasn't able to check for sure because of the way BB has the DS locked down but it should be there.

i can check tomorrow about that. i am going up to work to see about bringing a paper mario display home.

Heres a pic of the slot so no ones wondering whether there is one or not.
51e4d4a3.jpg

[quote name='xzafixz']I played it at as well, and it confirmed exactly what I feared. This this is impossible to play as a handheld. You'd have to set the thing on a table or something in order to get the full range you need in order to play metroid, and the controls that dont use the stylus suck. I'll see how other games shape up before I drop my money on one of these, or at least until there are cooler colors and games that can't be resisted.[/quote]

Using my thumb instead of the stylus worked just fine, and that little nub on the strap would make it 100 times better than that. I had no problems, and quite like it.

[quote name='CouRageouS']It does have a spot for the Stylus. Its right on top of the system. That huge pen strapped to the demo kiosks is not the actual stylus.[/quote]

Thanks god someone knows what they are talking about. it is not that ugly ass black pen youplayed with it matches the system and is stored on teh top of the back side.

Correct the uninformed EB workers will ya.

I certainly hope, by now, that Nintendo fixed the problems of scratching on the lower screen (I think that was a major complaint at E3 this year).

I wouldn't mind some confirmation of that, for those who have seen/played w/ demo units (or have it by now).

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin']I certainly hope, by now, that Nintendo fixed the problems of scratching on the lower screen (I think that was a major complaint at E3 this year).

I wouldn't mind some confirmation of that, for those who have seen/played w/ demo units (or have it by now).

myke.[/quote]

Definitely saw no problem with scratching at either of the demo units. Maybe a bit dirty, but not scratched.

[quote name='mykevermin']I certainly hope, by now, that Nintendo fixed the problems of scratching on the lower screen (I think that was a major complaint at E3 this year).

myke.[/quote]

The little bastards who invade my store on a daily basis have already roughed up the touch-screen quite a bit. But it was a result literal abuse. I never saw any change when using it normally and not with barbaric force.

Do you mind providing some details on how they roughed it up?

Were they wearing t-shirts that said "PSP ROOLZ! DS IS FOR TEH SUXXORS!"?

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you mind providing some details on how they roughed it up?

Were they wearing t-shirts that said "PSP ROOLZ! DS IS FOR TEH SUXXORS!"?[/quote]

No, they were wearing shirts promoting whatever silly pseudo-punk the kids are into these days. Basically, they act as though they have never handled delicate electronics in their short and ill-spent time on this earth. They try to remove the system from the display, mash the buttons vehemently, jab the stylus pen into the touch screen as though it were a Roman spear into Christ's ribcage. I can see these kids having a career in Quality Assurance testing, because they sure as shit put that poor DS unit to the test. As long as you aren't a creatively-stifled angsty little brat, you shouldn't have anything to worry about in terms of damaging the screen.

I think I may have strayed a bit from your original question. For that I apologize. :wink:

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='mykevermin']Do you mind providing some details on how they roughed it up?

Were they wearing t-shirts that said "PSP ROOLZ! DS IS FOR TEH SUXXORS!"?[/quote]

No, they were wearing shirts promoting whatever silly pseudo-punk the kids are into these days. Basically, they act as though they have never handled delicate electronics in their short and ill-spent time on this earth. They try to remove the system from the display, mash the buttons vehemently, jab the stylus pen into the touch screen as though it were a Roman spear into Christ's ribcage. I can see these kids having a career in Quality Assurance testing, because they sure as shit put that poor DS unit to the test. As long as you aren't a creatively-stifled angsty little brat, you shouldn't have anything to worry about in terms of damaging the screen.

I think I may have strayed a bit from your original question. For that I apologize. :wink:[/quote]

Excellent description. In my pseudo-punk youth, we didn't do things like that for fun. We stole lawn ornaments, mostly.

jab the stylus pen into the touch screen as though it were a Roman spear into Christ's ribcage

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

myke.

No matter what, I am going to wait until they come out with more games, new colors (you know they will!) and a sp version of the system (ok maybe not that long a wait)

Well, I think with any touch screen you're always going to run the risk of markings or getting messed up if you push too hard.

It's not like this is a new thing. The screen is soft, so you can't push hard on it. There's no need to.

[quote name='mkelehan']The screen has an extra plastic cover on it, that can be removed and replaced.[/quote]

brilliant! got a source for that?

myke.[/quote]

I had no such complaints. All of the units I played on were just fine.

[quote name='Ledhed']...jab the stylus pen into the touch screen as though it were a Roman spear into Christ's ribcage. [/quote]

That was a great analogy

[quote name='zewone']I played one today at Walmart. Its a "neat" toy, but is not designed well to be used as a conventional handheld system. You would have to have something hold the DS besides your hands to use the stylus. But you all know that. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

You are aware of the highly received thumb "nub" or "shoe" as some call it that is included and built into the wrist strap?

Then you have the system in both hands and use your thumb on teh analog type games...

[quote name='roguejedi5']No matter what, I am going to wait until they come out with more games, new colors (you know they will!) and a sp version of the system (ok maybe not that long a wait)[/quote]

Same here, Mario 64 DS isn't very convincing for me to buy a DS. I'll probably wait until the summer to get one. I have an SP and NGPC to keep me busy until then.

[quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='mkelehan']The screen has an extra plastic cover on it, that can be removed and replaced.[/quote]

brilliant! got a source for that?[/quote]
People keep asking for proof when people state facts on the DS. I guess all those retail employees that don't know what their talking about misguided some people.

You can read everything at ds.ign.com and go to the news section for older news. If you really wanna know everything start with the "Ds in Our Hands" article then read all the "Feature a day" articles. You'll get all the details and see pictures from many angles. You'll know almost everything you'll need then if you want more you can also download the DS manual as someone stated before.

Na. I ask for proof with everything, but you'll have to trust me there.

I have tried to read as much as I could about the DS, and I hadn't seen anything about the touch screen's durability since many E3 articles. Thus, I wanted to read more about it.

Forgive me, will ya?

myke.

[quote name='mousin']nope, i checked, and i asked the workers at GC. they also said it doesnt have one, so i said so i have to put it in my pocket? they said or you can leave it at home. =[[/quote]

Well, they are a bunch of idiots. They have had the final design for a couple of months and people have played them and showed pictures. there is a slot for the stylus.

[quote name='xzafixz']I played it at as well, and it confirmed exactly what I feared. This this is impossible to play as a handheld. You'd have to set the thing on a table or something in order to get the full range you need in order to play metroid, and the controls that dont use the stylus suck. I'll see how other games shape up before I drop my money on one of these, or at least until there are cooler colors and games that can't be resisted.[/quote]

With any time on the machine, you will quickly learn that you can use your pinky to hold the system steady as you play. Just give it a chance. Your complaint is about as rushed to as if someone had thought the way to play the VirtualBoy was to strap the thing to your forehead.

Anyone else disappointed with the games for the DS? GameSpot released some reviews. I'm mainly disappointed because most games (except for Feel the Magic and very few others) make real innovative use of the dual screens/processor and touch screen functionality.

Nintendo made a huge deal about all that can be done with these capabilities, which is fine, but it looks like all they could come up with were more rehases with a convenient map on the opposite screen.

The hardware has potential, and I think DS will get its killer app, but so far I am not impressed.

IGN linked to a pdf of the manual for the console.

I did not know that the DS will only play DS games abd GBA games.

No Black & White Game Boy or Game Boy Color games work on it. Not that I play them much, but there are the Zelda titles and a few others I still have.

Interesting. I still didn't read anything about a replacable touch screen yet.

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin']I still didn't read anything about a replacable touch screen yet.

myke.[/quote]
Its not a replacable, I believe Nintendo already stated somewhere if the touch screen was damaged you'd have to get it fixed by them. You're probably thinking about the protective sheet over the screen. Much like on any PDA touch screen. The cover lasts very long from what I've seen. More than likely either Nintendo or a third party will make replacable ones or you can just buy ones made for PDAs and trim them I suppose.

[quote name='guyver2077']is the ds capable of fmv????[/quote]

That's what I thought at first, but the metroid demo has some in it. I was very impressed by the graphics and the level size. Also up to 16 per chat room in picochat.

I guess there's non need for the DS to emmulate old GB games if the SP already does. screen protectors are readily availble to protect the screens from scratches but there will need to be custom sizes made for it unless you are brave enough to cut your own.

Also, With enough storage ANY system is capable of FMV.

[quote name='CouRageouS'][quote name='mykevermin']I still didn't read anything about a replacable touch screen yet.

myke.[/quote]
Its not a replacable, I believe Nintendo already stated somewhere if the touch screen was damaged you'd have to get it fixed by them. You're probably thinking about the protective sheet over the screen. Much like on any PDA touch screen. The cover lasts very long from what I've seen. More than likely either Nintendo or a third party will make replacable ones or you can just buy ones made for PDAs and trim them I suppose.[/quote]

My mistake. That is still cool though, and more reassuring.

I must say, however, that Jingle all the Way is freakin' me out.

myke.

bread's done
Back