Hard Drive Recognition

chargeup45

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Thanks again to everyone who helped get me on track with PC building. Everything has worked fine... except for the hard drive. Its a Seagate ATA150 160 GB. I'm able to turn the computer on and load the BIOS, but it doesn't recognize the HD. I cant hear the HD above fan noise, but I touched it and it was definitely spinning. So power probably isnt the issue.... I have it connected to a SATA RAID port on the mobo (ASUS A8V Deluxe). I also tried connecting it to the regular SATA port. Where am I going wrong? BIOS?

I didnt see an option for that, but I ended up finding a solution. I disabled RAID mode, connected the HD back to a regular SATA node, and it recognizes the HD. So now I have an accessible HD, what's the next step?

You'll have to partition it by going to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. Then click the 'Disk Management section. From there you should be able to see your hard drives. You should see one in grey that says (unpartitioned) or something similar. Just right click that one and choose 'Create Partition'. During the Wizard that comes up, be sure to do a 'Quick Format'. Otherwise you'll be there for days formating the fucking thing :D

[quote name='CappyCobra']You'll have to partition it by going to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. Then click the 'Disk Management section. From there you should be able to see your hard drives. You should see one in grey that says (unpartitioned) or something similar. Just right click that one and choose 'Create Partition'. During the Wizard that comes up, be sure to do a 'Quick Format'. Otherwise you'll be there for days formating the fucking thing :D[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should clarify... this is a brand new PC... no windows or anything. Nonetheless, I managed to get it to sort of recognize the HD, but Im still having trouble formatting it with their software. Seagate's website isnt very helpful either, when it comes to brand new PCs. I'll call them tomorrow and hopefully fix it up quickly. Thanks again.

at the command prompt just type in fdisk
select create new dos partition (usually option 1)
after this it will say you need to restart your computer
next time the command prompt comes up type format and you should be set

[quote name='CappyCobra']If you're installing windows from scratch, you will most likely need drivers for your IDE controller (when it asks you to press 'F6'). From what I could find, the chipset you have is from VIA (VT8237 SouthBridge).

Driver you'll need to load on a floppy are here:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2&Type=1[/QUOTE]

I got something similar from Asus' site. I did exactly what you mentioned (after calling Asus, just to double check), and now I'm getting an error about oemdisk on d drive. I assume this means theres a problem with the disc, which would be even worse news. Would it just be easier to transfer my old Dell HD over to this new computer somehow?

So I managed to create a RAID array for the HD, looks like its recognized. Next step, according to the manual, is to run FDISK and format and partition the HD. Of course, when I create a boot disk in Windows XP for use on the new computer, the boot disk doesn't come with FDISK. I tried to download boot disks from other sites, but they didn't work. What did I do wrong this time?

[quote name='chargeup45']So I managed to create a RAID array for the HD, looks like its recognized. Next step, according to the manual, is to run FDISK and format and partition the HD. Of course, when I create a boot disk in Windows XP for use on the new computer, the boot disk doesn't come with FDISK. I tried to download boot disks from other sites, but they didn't work. What did I do wrong this time?[/QUOTE]
You shouldn't have to use Fdisk. Windows XP setup has a built-in formating and partitioning during the install. Just be sure to load the drivers for the RAID or IDE controller at the begining when it asks you to press 'F6' for additional drivers.

I'm assuming that for the install, you are in fact booting off the CD 1st & have the CD set as the 1st boot device.

[quote name='chargeup45']So I managed to create a RAID array for the HD, looks like its recognized. Next step, according to the manual, is to run FDISK and format and partition the HD. Of course, when I create a boot disk in Windows XP for use on the new computer, the boot disk doesn't come with FDISK. I tried to download boot disks from other sites, but they didn't work. What did I do wrong this time?[/QUOTE]

Or if you've gone to all this trouble anyway, uninstall it and reinstall it in the comp that already has winxp (if it's got the right connections) and just do a straight format there using the computer management screen. You might as well, so you save yourself the headache of creating a boot disk and then finding out it doesn't work and searching for fdisk...

bread's done
Back