Hard drive transfer help please!!

TLFerrill

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
So my girlfriend bought me a 120g hard drive for my premium 360 and Im having issues. First off it came with instructions saying not to use the disk that comes with the transfer cable and instead put on the new drive, update live, turn off the console, plug in the cable connected to the old drive and power on. It then says my xbox will say it detects a transfer cable, would i like to transfer data? and il be all set. it also says if i just configure it through the memory tab it will be read as a usb external drive and will only store 16g(the maximun for a usb drive).

pretty sure this is some sort of generic drive going on the above info, but it was a gift and dont want to ask her for the guys contact info so i can ask him what the hell is up if it can be avoided. can anyone help on this?

The Xbox Slim has the software already on-board to do hard drive transfers. A non-slim won't do it automatically and requires the transfer kit.

You need to use the disc that comes with the transfer kit for a non-slim system. Connect the drives as shown in the diagram and everything should work.

My guess is that your GF probably bought a hacked/flashed drive and it's not an official MS drive. If you hook it up as shown in the diagram and everything works, then it may be an official drive or a hacked/flashed drive. If she bought it from a retail store, then it shouldn't be an issue and it's an official drive. If it's from "some guy", then it's likely a hacked/flashed drive.

If you just hook it up via USB, it'll only work like a USB drive, no matter what kind of drive it is.

I tried to help a buddy by loaning him my transfer cable to move his data and he couldn't get it to work. So I took my other cable over to try it out and it worked like a charm. Upon closer inspection, the first cable I gave him was not Microsoft branded, and the second was...must of got the first when when I also bought a generic 120 GB off of Ebay for my wife's 360. You might check that, just in case?

bread's done
Back