Hard drive upgrade

Bradley129

CAGiversary!
Hello I just got a ps3 superslim and $100 to spend with it. I really want to buy PS move/plus and some games. I was wondering if a new hard drive would really improve performance and help? I would be replacing stock with a 7200rpm.

I just got a super slim also, but its only 250g. Looking at getting a 1tb , since I also got psn+. What's the easiest & cheapest way to transfer the stuff over from old to new hhd? And after I drop in the new hdd. Is there anything I need to download to the new hdd for it to work? Or will the ps3 do it for me? Thanks cags

www.pricewatch.com to find a deal on a HDD.

Transferring is easy if you have an external usb HDD larger than the one you have in the ps3 with the PS3 backup utility in the sytem menu.

It's a long process to do it though and the external has to be in FAT32 format.

just ordered a 1tb for my new slim, from newegg,it should be here this week. im keeping my self from playing on it, cuz i dont have a way to transfer over anything i download, and since its a new ps3, all i have is what i did when i set it up. so i guess that stuff i can easy just redo.:0) im ok, my vita is holding me off. in till the new drive gets here and i can play the last of us. ive been dying to finally play it. pls the batman game that also came with the system. 0)

Just popped in the new 1tb hdd :) now my luck psn+ is down. Guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to down load some of them games. But I'm finally will be able to play the last of us. Going to do that now!! Love'n my new ps3!! I did have an issue, installing the firmware from my thumb drive, but after googleing, all I had to do was format the TD to fat32, it worked like a charm!

I'm also in the market for either a 500gb or 1tb hard drive for my ps3. I'd like to stick with brand name though. Should I go to newegg or something. Recommendations would be appreciated. Don't want to spend and arm and a leg.

I'm also in the market for either a 500gb or 1tb hard drive for my ps3. I'd like to stick with brand name though. Should I go to newegg or something. Recommendations would be appreciated. Don't want to spend and arm and a leg.
Oh, Mr. Rockefeller here wants a name brand. 3rd party aren't good enough for him - warranty included or not. Here ya go fancypants

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500GB-Toshiba-Laptop-Notebook-2-5-Hard-Drive-for-MacBook-Pro-Sony-PS3-/400327473145?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item5d356077f9 - $52.50 Toshiba

I"m not sure. It's saying it's 2.75, not 2.5. I would imagine since it's a laptop HDD it would work, but I don't know 100%

[quote name="ORGAN1ZAT10N_13" post="11452124" timestamp="1389979967"]I"m not sure. It's saying it's 2.75, not 2.5. I would imagine since it's a laptop HDD it would work, but I don't know 100%[/quote]nope it must be 2.5 and under 9.25mm height.

Honestly, the Move isn't really that worth it. I say sell that and with the money you make, buy a hard drive.
There are only a handful of games available on PS3/PSN that utilize the Move to its full potential, so it's worth it if you play/like any of the following:

PS3: Sports Champions 1 and 2, House of the Dead: Extended Cut, Time Crisis, M.A.G. and Killzone 3 (to a lesser extent)

PSN: House of the Dead (series), The Swan, Tumble (<--- most enjoyable Move exclusive for me)

Those are just the ones I've tried and enjoyed with Move. There are probably a few others that are good but haven't tried yet.

edit: Totally forgot about Dead Space: Extraction, which is a port to PS3/PSN from the Wii. Works very well with the Move. Available with Limited Edition copies of DS2 (unlocked on-disc but disc required to play) or as a separate download on PSN (think it's $15).

Last edited by a moderator:
2.5" must the the platter size.  I just measured a WD1200BEVS laptop drive and it's 2.7" in width and that is a normal drive.  The height is important you need to make sure the laptop drive is not too tall as they come in different heights.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back