Hardcopies or HD copies of games?

oper00

CAGiversary!
Yeah, I've been on this site for a long time. I'm never vocal but I lurk around here and there now and then. But I've been having this problem that I've been thinking about for years now. Now, remember I just want to know what you guys think so that I know my decision isn't something I'll regret later on in my life.

I have a decent collection of games from PSONE, GBA, etc, and what not. Some commons, uncommons, and rares. I'd say 90% of them are in mint and complete condition. I like to take care of my things. Some of the rares were a pain to get, especially near-mint and complete. And paying for that amount kind of sucked but glad I was able to get it. Anyways, the point is that more and more down the road, these games are being re-released and in HD.

The problem I'm having is that with all these games that I own, they are being re-released in crisp and updated graphics, is it worth keeping the actual original hard copies?

It saves me A LOT of space and I wouldn't have to worry about theft or natural disaster since they're always readily available on the marketplace online. Not only that, but now it's to the point where my backlog isn't even realistic to finish in my lifetime anymore. And it keeps growing more (not as much or as fast). So I'm not sure about anything anymore.

So what do you guys think?

I'd keep them, collections like that are cool. You probably weren't in it for the money anyways right?

I remember when ICO was considered rare, and that was valued at a mere $50-60 (much less now). Maybe a mint Valkyrie Profile will fetch $90? I don't know much about the collecting hobby, but for gaming it never seemed very profitable unless you got some super rare cartridge. The HD remakes can definitely devalue the older games, but as for your situation, just get rid of the junk. Hold on to your favorite tiles as mementos, and keep the games you feel are special or may become so.

I'm not a fan of collectors who hang on to every piece of shovelware just because. The games should mean something to you, and if you can make a smaller collection, it'd be easier to explain and show off to people.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'd keep them, collections like that are cool. You probably weren't in it for the money anyways right?

I remember when ICO was considered rare, and that was valued at a mere $50-60 (much less now). Maybe a mint Valkyrie Profile will fetch $90? I don't know much about the collecting hobby, but for gaming it never seemed very profitable unless you got some super rare cartridge. The HD remakes can definitely devalue the older games, but as for your situation, just get rid of the junk. Hold on to your favorite tiles as mementos, and keep the games you feel are special or may become so.

I'm not a fan of collectors who hang on to every piece of shovelware just because. The games should mean something to you, and if you can make a smaller collection, it'd be easier to explain and show off to people.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this guy. My advice? Go whole hog, run down to Home Depot or Lowe's this weekend, build yourself a KILLER display case for your collection and curate it.

Depending on the size of your collection I imagine it would take between 3-6 hours to complete this job...and when you're done you'll be super happy you did.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Tony

I've been liquidating my backlog for years and now buy 90% of my games on steam or PSN. I'm to the point I get pissed if I have to buy a physical copy of something. I sat around on my rares for a while, but then I realized there was no real point. Most of them plummet in value once they are rereleased and I decided I was sitting on stuff only to lose money. And to be honest, IMO a digital collection is safer than a physical one. There is VERY little chance of valve going anywhere any time soon. Same goes for sony and MS. The only question is whether anything will transfer from the PS3/360 to PS4/nextbox, but that is a question that no one knows the answer to yet, very likely not even sony/ms. If I had to guess, I would say: MS-not a damn thing; sony-at least some things. This is not fanboyism, it's history. NOTHING transferred from xbox (original) live to the 360. Sony already has games that work on multiple systems (PSP/PS3).

I would make a collection of either a genre of games or just rare/popular ones in general. This way you can show it off to people, and save space.

For example if you have a lot of RPG games, keep them (actually I would keep just about all the RPG games because RPG's are one of the few genre's that are still fun to play games 25+ years old), and like stuff like Nintendo published ones, keep them. Get a theme, an idea on ones you want to keep.

I prefer buying hard copies of games just so I have something I can trade/sell after beating it. I seldom replay games, and don't give a crap about collecting games for collecting's sake, so that's a big plus for me.

A digital game either has to be cheap, or be something I'll log a ton of hours on and thus feel I've got my money's worth even if I can't trade or sell it after I'm done playing it.

I don't collect either, but I still prefer hard copies.

I just don't like DD games because most companies don't give you unlimited copies of the game you purchase if it's DD. Like Sony only allows it on up to 5 consoles, and some developers only games on a certain amount of computers.

Not only that but, what if (and it's a BIG IF) their servers get taken down, much like Sony did, and you can't re-download the game for awhile?

Why can't game companies give me unlimited copies like iTunes or Amazon does for their music? (Which is why I buy music now)

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I don't collect either, but I still prefer hard copies.

I just don't like DD games because most companies don't give you unlimited copies of the game you purchase if it's DD. Like Sony only allows it on up to 5 consoles, and some developers only games on a certain amount of computers.

Not only that but, what if (and it's a BIG IF) their servers get taken down, much like Sony did, and you can't re-download the game for awhile?

Why can't game companies give me unlimited copies like iTunes or Amazon does for their music? (Which is why I buy music now)[/QUOTE]

Not trying to plug here but Amazon DD does exactly what you're talking about, and not just for music :)

From our FAQ on Digital Video Games:

For video games: Each game manufacturer has a different policy on how many installations are allowed with each product key. If you run out of installations for the product key you originally purchased from Amazon, please contact Customer Service and we will happily provide you with another key at no additional charge. You can install an unlimited number of times for personal use, however additional copies of the game for friends or family must be purchased separately.

How many times can I download my games or software?

You can download an unlimited number of times for personal use. To re-download, go to Your Games and Software Library through the "Your Digital Items" link at the top of the screen and click the download button.

Cheers,
Tony

I prefer physical copies of games. Just something about holding the game, having the case and artwork, instruction manuals, etc.

That being said, I've recently started to radically trim down my collection. Over the past 30 years, I've owned every system except a NeoGeo and Jaguar. Within the last year, I've sold just about all my older systems/games.

I understand the industry is moving towards digital downloads, but I still love to look at my remaining games sitting on the shelves.

I'd say prune your collection down to the choice titles and keep those. I like to keep my collection down to a one-foot long shelf but I realize this may be seen as extreme to some.

Maybe it's just nostalgia but there's something about letting your fingers dance across the tops of game cases until you find the right one that you can't get with an online collection.

I prefer physical. Yeah, the HD re-releases are cool, but there is just something about playing a game on the system it was created for in the original format. I've tried the classic controller, I've tried a SNES to PC adapter. And point blank I just like playing some games on my SNES better than recreations. That's why I keep a 32" CRT around.

Another point, is if all old software was guaranteed a re-release (original bond? old licensed software, etc.) and guaranteed to have availability (does steam guarantee downloads will work with Windows 10, PSN/360 guarantee availability on next platforms) then there would be little point to holding onto old games. But it's highly unlikely that steam will redo all the old games to work on updated systems (actually it's the developers but still not enough money in recoding an old game) and PS2/xbox compatibility died for PS3/360 so best case scenario some of the content you purchased will move forward.

That said, maybe I'm a nerd, but I think it's kinda cool to have a collection of games. Plus, it can be a big pain to play a game at a friends house. You either have to link their account with your account, or say lug your PS3 over to their house to get some gaming action on.

bread's done
Back