Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix Movie

moiety

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
For those of you who are Harry Potter fans, have you seen OotP yet? What'd you think?

I saw it Sunday in IMAX. I had to order my tickets 3 days ahead because the whole weekend was nearly sold out already.

Personally, I enjoyed it. I thought overall it was well-paced, and they hit the key plot points. They obviously cut things from the book, but it wasn't choppy and rushed like GoF ended up being. Prof. Umbridge was great, and I enjoyed the Dumbledore's Army scenes quite a bit. The ending battle was in 3D, which for some parts was really cool, others unnecessary.

Anyway, if anyone saw it, feel free to post your thoughts! :)

Saw it and liked it....too bad we haven't gotten it at Imax yet (Spider-man 3 is playing still) so I didn't get the 3D effect in the regular theatre.

Thoughts on the movie itself: (yes I have read the books)

I thought Luna was great and is an excellent addition to the cast, Rupert is the best actor out of the three and Emma is the worst. Nigel is easily my favorite character not from the books and is ten times better than the Creevey's. Gambron as Dumbledore is horrid and they should replace him and reshoot his parts from the past 3 movies and resell these films with a better actor.

Favorite scene was the paper bird flying in the class before Umbridge comes in and burns it, it just captures that school feel which was necessary with the darker tone of the film heading away from school things. Thought the battle was good and Bellatrix was awesome. Kreacher was the deal!!!

Overall I liked the film and plan on seeing it again.

[quote name='ronnydobbs']Gambron as Dumbledore is horrid and they should replace him and reshoot his parts from the past 3 movies and resell these films with a better actor.
[/quote]
I miss Richard Harris. He was perfect as Dumbledore. I've been hoping that Gambon would improve, but he just seems more gruff and serious than Dumbledore should be.

enjoyable as a movie

not enjoyable compared to the book, horrible pacing, horrible character development and i felt it really cut out some important parts and changed others, and ohh why even bother having ron in it, luna had more lines than him.

Saw it at midnight. Luna was great, and I still miss the old Dumbledore.

Not included the heavy box at the Black's house is disappointing.

Good movie overall.

It was very well cast and altogether enjoyable to watch but not memorable in any real sense. Even with the cuts they made from the book, there remained far too many characters to maneuver around in a single film. I suppose that's why the majority of the cast has such limited screen time. Still, it works as the adolescent romp it is.

I really didn't like it at all. Nothing special about it, and I felt like they rushed the ending. I think it should have been another 10+ minutes, but thats just me.
I will agree that Luna was fantastic though.

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']I really didn't like it at all. Nothing special about it, and I felt like they rushed the ending. I think it should have been another 10+ minutes, but thats just me.
I will agree that Luna was fantastic though.[/quote]
I was surprised to find out that OotP was the shortest movie so far at 138 mins. For comparison, I think CoS was the longest at ~160 mins.

And I also agree that Luna was awesome. :)

To me, it seemed like they filmed the entire book, then just went to town with a lawnmower. It was just cut so jarringly, there was no flow.

Overall, a disappointment, but not terrible.

I was very dissapointed. The childhood magic that flowed endlessly in the first 4 movies was almost completely absent . Also, I was upset by the fact that there was not one second of Quidditch in the whole movie. It was also plauged by horribly, cringe-worthy, Laugh-out-loud bad lines:

Hermoine:"So, how was it?"
Harry: "Wet"
Awkward silence

They, the movie producers, didn't develope Ms Umbridge's character enough; by this, I mean that when I was reading the book, my hatred for her was
so great that I wanted to kill her, but the movie depicted her as an annoying bitch, and not someone who the whole croud wants to fatalitize. Also, the plot between Harry and Ms. Cheng vanished after the scene where Harry 's class is discovered and Harry blows her off when she tried to explain to him why she revealed his secret class to Umbridge.
I loved Luna though. The fortune teller teacher and Professor McGonagall were good as well.

It was ok, much of the book was cut out though. Not that I really cared because my sis dragged me to to see it/I kinda skimmed the book. Final battle ok, just magic and wands not really my thing. Whoever played that tonks character though...:hot:

Is the book around 900 pages long? There's no way you can translate a book of that length into a movie without having to cut a substantial amount of material.

[quote name='Jkmetal']It was ok, much of the book was cut out though. Not that I really cared because my sis dragged me to to see it/I kinda skimmed the book. Final battle ok, just magic and wands not really my thing. Whoever played that tonks character though...:hot:[/quote]

I agree, Tonks was hot.

We saw it last night...some observations:

Good:

Luna
DA scenes were excellent
Anything with the Weasley twins
Luna

Bad:

Tons of material cut...some of it that I thought was very important. It was totally expected from a 900 page book.

Choppy, and I thought a little hard to follow. If you haven't read the books or seen the other movies, you would be pretty screwed.

All of the other movies you got the feeling that they were in school and I didn't get that so much with this one. It was in the book, just cut here.

And one thing that didn't occur to me until today, this was the first time that I felt Hogwarts was "small". It just for some reason seemed cramped to me.

All in all, I thought it was average. In my opinion, it was the worst of the five movies so far. For the longest book, I also thought it was strange to be the shortest movie.

As I wasn't a huge fan of this one, I am a little concerned that the same director is returning for the sixth movie.

TBW

PS I can't wait for the book this week! I guess at 32, I shouldn't be so excited about a kids book that hasn't been one since the first half of the first book, but oh well.

Just got back, I thought it was very good. I haven't read the book though, so I don't really know what to compare it to.

The final two fight scenes were pretty cool for a Harry Potter movie. There was one part at the end that I nearly died laughing at, although it's impossible to explain in text...

bread's done
Back