Harry Potter & The Order of The Phoenix Trailer

This will be a late birthday present for me next year. Although I'm actually more looking forward to seeing HBP...it's a toss up between that and GOF for my favorite book in the series thus far.

Since Helen McCrory discovered she would be noticably pregnant during the filming.

[quote name='jmcc']Helena Bonham Carter is playing Bellatrix Lestrange? When did this happen?[/quote]

I'm sure to see this, but my problem with these films is that they seem to be more of 'visual supplementals' to the books than filmic adaptations of them. This was particularly true with Goblet of Fire, and as any Potter fan knows, the books don't exactly see a return to brevity after that one.

On the flip side, would someone only exposed to the films really enjoy them? I try to imagine that, and while they're quality works (as in, a solid "7", collectively speaking), they really don't feel like 'classics', as the acting is uneven (the kids on the whole got better, admittedly) and the character development and level of immersion that the books create are barely represented in the movies.

I really wonder how Warner Bros. will handle Book Seven, especially if Harry dies (which my entire pile of chips is on). The news is bound to break into the mainstream 'watercooler discussion' within hours of the book's release, and the ultimate payoff will be long-spoiled for just about everyone who would ever consider seeing the film. Happy ending or bittersweet one, will they change it significantly enough to actually surprise fans? Will they pull some cheesy-ass Path of Neo bulls***?

Does anyone think that provided Half-Blood Prince hits theaters by Christmas '08, Rowling may actually hold the book back to be released concurrently with the last film, which could conceivably be out by Christmas '09 under these conditions? As ridiculous as that sounds, I get the distinct impression that unless we hear something definitive by this Christmas, Book Seven won't make a 2007 release. Hey, it was three years between Goblet and Order of the Phoenix.

Oh, yeah, and the trailer looked sweet, except for the last shot which I reflexively associated with the old Richard Donner Superman films.

I've only seen the films and I think they were fantastic.

I disagree about the level of immersion, I've seen the first two movies and I was deeply immersed the whole time. Some of my favorite movies... I really need to watch the last two.

Roufuss, 3 and 4 kick the ass out of 2. 1 is still good in a introductory sense, but 3 and 4 are driven.

Can't wait for this movie. I was sure after the third one that they'd start to slack, but 4 was a great adaptation and I was really surprised that they didn't think of this as a mere cash grab.

[quote name='Strell']Roufuss, 3 and 4 kick the ass out of 2. 1 is still good in a introductory sense, but 3 and 4 are driven.

Can't wait for this movie. I was sure after the third one that they'd start to slack, but 4 was a great adaptation and I was really surprised that they didn't think of this as a mere cash grab.[/QUOTE]

I own them, I just never got around to, ya know, actually opening them and watching them ;)

Maybe soon on my school break. I've seen parts of 3, and yea, it was really good. I always like the mystery in these movies, and there is always some twist at the end I never saw coming.

I've only seen the films and I think they were fantastic.

Read the books and I can almost guarantee you'll think differently. That's true of almost any book-to-film adaptation, but the way the books really color in the characters and all corners of Hogwarts are what makes them great, I think.

I disagree about the level of immersion, I've seen the first two movies and I was deeply immersed the whole time.

See, that's just it. The first two books were the shortest and, quite honestly, were the least well-written (which by no means made them poor efforts, mind you). She was just finding her voice then. There wasn't much for Chris Columbus to omit in those films. I knew it would never happen, but I really wish the once-rumored two-film Goblet of Fire would've been made. The movie just felt like watching Cliff Notes.

Oh well, maybe we can look to the movies as indicators of what characters and story threads pay off in the final book, as those things omitted or severely downplayed are probably ultimately irrelevant. Seriously, do yourself a favor and read the books. You'll most likely read them twice.

Hmm, I'll be looking forward to this movie because, if I remember correctly, I liked the ending for OoP because it gave a lot of action.

[quote name='Over easy']Hmm, I'll be looking forward to this movie because, if I remember correctly, I liked the ending for OoP because it gave a lot of action.[/QUOTE]

yes, there was

but yeah I was real disappointed with Goblet, I just felt it made a horrible translation from book to film. There was just too much in the book for one movie, which will be the same for the rest of the movies.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']but yeah I was real disappointed with Goblet, I just felt it made a horrible translation from book to film. There was just too much in the book for one movie, which will be the same for the rest of the movies.[/quote]I completely agree. While they got most of Goblet into the movie, there were very few scenes that I didn't feel were rushed through/shortened to a ridiculous degree.

[quote name='jollydwarf']I'm sure to see this, but my problem with these films is that they seem to be more of 'visual supplementals' to the books than filmic adaptations of them. This was particularly true with Goblet of Fire, and as any Potter fan knows, the books don't exactly see a return to brevity after that one.

On the flip side, would someone only exposed to the films really enjoy them? I try to imagine that, and while they're quality works (as in, a solid "7", collectively speaking), they really don't feel like 'classics', as the acting is uneven (the kids on the whole got better, admittedly) and the character development and level of immersion that the books create are barely represented in the movies.

I really wonder how Warner Bros. will handle Book Seven, especially if Harry dies (which my entire pile of chips is on). The news is bound to break into the mainstream 'watercooler discussion' within hours of the book's release, and the ultimate payoff will be long-spoiled for just about everyone who would ever consider seeing the film. Happy ending or bittersweet one, will they change it significantly enough to actually surprise fans? Will they pull some cheesy-ass Path of Neo bulls***?

Does anyone think that provided Half-Blood Prince hits theaters by Christmas '08, Rowling may actually hold the book back to be released concurrently with the last film, which could conceivably be out by Christmas '09 under these conditions? As ridiculous as that sounds, I get the distinct impression that unless we hear something definitive by this Christmas, Book Seven won't make a 2007 release. Hey, it was three years between Goblet and Order of the Phoenix.

Oh, yeah, and the trailer looked sweet, except for the last shot which I reflexively associated with the old Richard Donner Superman films.[/QUOTE]

I regret to think you're right about book 7. They better get a move on that mug, because Mr. Radcliffe is looking like anything but the boy who is supposed to be 4 years older than he was in "Sorceror's Stone."

It looks good, and I think the darkening progress of the movies mimics the progress in the books quite well.

I can't seem to think of what was relevant that was omitted from Goblet of Fire? That whole Elf liberation bit didn't need to be included, and poor, poor Peeves the poltergeist has yet to make his film debut. What on earth else was left out (I know there was a good deal)?

[quote name='mykevermin']I regret to think you're right about book 7. They better get a move on that mug, because Mr. Radcliffe is looking like anything but the boy who is supposed to be 4 years older than he was in "Sorceror's Stone."

It looks good, and I think the darkening progress of the movies mimics the progress in the books quite well.

I can't seem to think of what was relevant that was omitted from Goblet of Fire? That whole Elf liberation bit didn't need to be included, and poor, poor Peeves the poltergeist has yet to make his film debut. What on earth else was left out (I know there was a good deal)?[/QUOTE]

Wasn't Peeves in the first one?

Maybe I should watch it again.

I'm glad my Book Seven speculation doesn't come across as too catastrophizing. I tend to have a strong 'Spooky Mulder' streak running through my cognitize process.

Again, if they got to principal photography on Half-Blood Prince early this Summer and got it out by Christmas '08, is having the film for Book Seven out by Christmas '09 that implausible? Could Rowling actually agree to let the production go ahead and for the last one actually release the book a week or month after the movie, working with the director and screenwriter the whole time?

I hope it doesn't come to that, as casting news could spoil certain elements and no matter how insanely guarded they made the production, key plot elements would leak, 'red herring' scenes and endings filmed or not. It would also mean, of course, a long ass wait for the series' resolution. In regard to experiencing something almost totally unspoiled, books are the new movies.

[quote name='mykevermin']I regret to think you're right about book 7. They better get a move on that mug, because Mr. Radcliffe is looking like anything but the boy who is supposed to be 4 years older than he was in "Sorceror's Stone."

I can't seem to think of what was relevant that was omitted from Goblet of Fire? That whole Elf liberation bit didn't need to be included, and poor, poor Peeves the poltergeist has yet to make his film debut. What on earth else was left out (I know there was a good deal)?[/QUOTE]

well my biggest complaint was they took out Mrs Weasley's importance, she really turns into Harry's mother, plus no Percy, which changes things in the up coming movies.

They turned Cedric into an asshole, which pissed me off

I didnt like how they showed Crouch Jr throughout the whole movie instead of keeping you in the dark at the end.

these are a few of my problems, there are a decent amount more missing, but these stand out

The first two movies are slavishly devoted to bringing everything in from the books and suffer for it. But they are passible. Prisoner of Azkaban is my least favorite of the books, but far and away the best movie. The director, Alfonso Cuaron, cut the chaff and kept the story moving while giving Hogwarts a real sense of being a real place where magic happens. You'll also note he cut most of Ron (Rupert Grint) being in the movie, which is for the best cause that guy couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

Goblet of Fire was like a cliff notes of the book. It ramrodded through important bits, dwelt on the budding adolescence of the characters too much and generally seemed sewn together in a Frankensteinian nightmare. The Quidditch World Cup was absurd and disjointed and probably should have been cut completely to focus on the Goblet of Fire competition more. I mean one animated dragon and that's it? Sad really.

I was bummed because GOF is my favorite of the books. I'm concerned with how much the new movies are going to jammed together to make everything fit.

You'll also note he cut most of Ron (Rupert Grint) being in the movie, which is for the best cause that guy couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

"Oy! No spell for that, hunh?"

And is it me or is Tom Felton actually getting worse as Malfoy? He, along with some other secondary child actors, seemed pretty disinterested in Goblet. Maybe some of the kids are effectively 'pouting' because they're hoping their roles will be bigger than they end up being? Maybe they're tired of the series and feel they've outgrown it, but they and the films are essentially stuck with each other for at least another three years?

While I do feel confident that this film will be at least incrementally superior to Goblet of Fire based on cast alone, I too worry that the last three films will be disjointed as hell, particularly for those of us reading their very long novel counterparts (guessing on Seven, of course). I wish I could remember the specifics, but after watching the last film, I couldn't help but think a lot of key plot points were not properly explained to those who had not read the book. It was like they were banking on that part of the audience not asking too many questions and the books' fans mentally filling in the blanks.

And they'd better not diminsh what an incredible bitch Dolores Umbridge is. The films have already mostly declawed Snape.

Really looking into this, eh? :) Although I have to say that your concerns are plausible.

[quote name='jollydwarf']I'm sure to see this, but my problem with these films is that they seem to be more of 'visual supplementals' to the books than filmic adaptations of them. This was particularly true with Goblet of Fire, and as any Potter fan knows, the books don't exactly see a return to brevity after that one.

Oh, yeah, and the trailer looked sweet, except for the last shot which I reflexively associated with the old Richard Donner Superman films.[/QUOTE]

And is it just me, or was Harry not looking really... hairy in that trailer? I don't remember him getting a haircut in that book.

[quote name='mykevermin']I can't seem to think of what was relevant that was omitted from Goblet of Fire? That whole Elf liberation bit didn't need to be included, and poor, poor Peeves the poltergeist has yet to make his film debut. What on earth else was left out (I know there was a good deal)?[/QUOTE]

Peeves will almost for sure make an appearence in OotP. He's kinda a pivital part of Fred and George's grand plan. But of course they have found ways to redo things in the past movies...

[quote name='Rihan']Peeves will almost for sure make an appearence in OotP. He's kinda a pivital part of Fred and George's grand plan. But of course they have found ways to redo things in the past movies...[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt count on it, they never had anything about Fred and George betting on the Quid Cup, or the money from Harry after the Tri-Wizard Tourney.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I wouldnt count on it, they never had anything about Fred and George betting on the Quid Cup, or the money from Harry after the Tri-Wizard Tourney.[/QUOTE]

I can't see them changing their departure from Hogwarts, that was the turning point of the book when they took off. The money with Harry and the Quidditch Cup betting were just tiny details in the book, and something that they can easily explain when (and if) they come across the new shop in the movie. Their scheme to leave the school on the other hand was a major plot that evolved into the downfall of Umbridge

Well, they could meld some things like they did in GofF. Remember in #4, it was actually Dobby who came back with the gillyweed, but they made it Nigel in the movie for brevity's sake. I'd forgotten about the money thing. You're right, that is pivotal for Fred and George.

bread's done
Back