Has a casual Wii gamer ever visited this board?

lustyhitter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm new here. I'm a refugee from 1up.

I have owned all of Nintendo's consoles, including two Nintendo Wiis. I find that the Wii has games that I want to buy in bunches, then long periods of releases that don't do anything for me. Ever since SSBB, I haven't seen one Wii game that screams "MUST BUY". However, it looks like the first few months of 2009 will offer up some good games and I will probably buy my 3rd Wii in the Spring.

This being a site that might see some casual gamers coming in looking for deal on software, has one of them ever come here looking for advice?

Here's a list of good to awesome games that came out in 2008. If you can't find anything on here that interests you, then I dunno what to tell you.

Blast Works
Boom Blox
Bully: SE
de Blob
Dokapon Kingdom
HotD 2&3
Lego Batman
Lego Indy
Lost Winds
Mario Kart Wii
No More Heroes
Okami
Sam & Max Season One
Tales of Symphonia: DotNW
Tetris Party
World of Goo

Yes, the Wii doesn't have lots of "omg must buy everyone rated this a 9.5!!!" games. It has plenty of "this got a 7 but a zillion actual gamers said it's tons of fun" games.

No More Heroes was the only Wii game that I bought last year. Madworld and maybe Muramusa look to be the only two that I'll buy this year. Honestly, once I beat some of my VC games I'll probably sell the Wii. I'm not hardcore and not really casual, but its still pretty bad when I don't touch the system for months at a time

As for your question, not many "casual" people come into the forums asking for advice. We get some users that have friends/family that they need advice to buy for...thats about it.

Many CAGs seem to not like the Wii, but there are others who like it a lot. I'm one of the latter. I don't have a 360 or PS3, and perhaps that's the reason, but I doubt it. I've always liked Nintendo's games and I think they continue to put out great stuff.

I'm neither specifically casual nor a core gamer. That Nintendo is putting out casual and non-game stuff doesn't bother me at all. In fact I'm enjoying some of that stuff. I really like WiiSports and I'm going to give WiiFit a try in spite of all the negative comments about it here.

I think one key difference is how much time people have to spend on games...

I'm really satisfied with my Wii, but I don't have a ton of time to spend on games in general, and a lot of the time I do have is spent on portables for the convenience factor. There's more than enough great games on Wii for someone like me. Way more than enough. I've barely scratched the surface of No More Heroes and Okami, only have half of the stars in Super Mario Galaxy, and I still have a bunch of Wii games still sealed that I haven't touched at all yet.

But for the kind of person who buys a new game, spends every waking hour playing it, and beats it before the week is out, yeah, I can see how the Wii library would look pretty bare.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think one key difference is how much time people have to spend on games...

I'm really satisfied with my Wii, but I don't have a ton of time to spend on games in general, and a lot of the time I do have is spent on portables for the convenience factor. There's more than enough great games on Wii for someone like me. Way more than enough. I've barely scratched the surface of No More Heroes and Okami, only have half of the stars in Super Mario Galaxy, and I still have a bunch of Wii games still sealed that I haven't touched at all yet.

But for the kind of person who buys a new game, spends every waking hour playing it, and beats it before the week is out, yeah, I can see how the Wii library would look pretty bare.[/quote]

That is pretty much were I am. I get an hour maybe two to play a day and I find myself very satisfied with the library. I just don't have the time to spend blowing through every new release in less than a week and then spending the rest of my time bitching about how the Wii has no games.

Ryuukishi - I think you're right on that. I'm (we're) the same. So, yeah, if you finish a game in a week and need a new one, then repeat, the Wii probably doesn't fit the bill, at least not alone. It's not getting game releases of that sort fast enough for you in that case. I guess then you need a 360 or PS3. For us, we have Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, that Ocean game (the title of which is escaping me at the moment), Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing City Folk and Bomberman Blast (WiiWare) and we're set for quite some time. Some of those games don't really end anyway.

I just started playing the Wii that i got for my girl and my sister. truthfully i see the Wii the same way that i see my PSP, I'm only going to use it to play imports. I only bought 1 US game last year for the PSP and it was Crisis Core, i bought around 7 or 8 imports. For the Wii i already bought 2 imports last week (Tatsunoko vs. Capcom & Gundam MS Sensen 0079) after I'm done with those 2 i'll just wait for more exclusive imports, i have browsed best buy for Wii games and see nothing in the slightest that interests me. The 360 and PS3 can keep me busy for months.

Might casually play Wii play and sports once in a while with my girl.

[quote name='crunchewy']Many CAGs seem to not like the Wii, but there are others who like it a lot. I'm one of the latter. I don't have a 360 or PS3, and perhaps that's the reason, but I doubt it. I've always liked Nintendo's games and I think they continue to put out great stuff.
.[/QUOTE]

I am a huge Nintendo fan and I've always loved their stuff...but...I do think the Wii is rather disappointing overall.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I'm new here. I'm a refugee from 1up.

I have owned all of Nintendo's consoles, including two Nintendo Wiis. I find that the Wii has games that I want to buy in bunches, then long periods of releases that don't do anything for me. Ever since SSBB, I haven't seen one Wii game that screams "MUST BUY". However, it looks like the first few months of 2009 will offer up some good games and I will probably buy my 3rd Wii in the Spring.

This being a site that might see some casual gamers coming in looking for deal on software, has one of them ever come here looking for advice?[/QUOTE]

I'm confused, you have two Wii's and will buy a third. Or you have owned a Wii and two separate times, currently don't have one, and will buy one for the third time?

Either way the scenario is kinda bizarre sounding.

I have a Wii, and I consider myself a casual gamer. I only found this site because my bf at the time told me about it. He teases me how I play a game and never finish it, which is true. I've been playing Okami forever now. :p

I agree the Wii comes out with a few good games at a time then goes for long periods without anything that really cathces my eye. I think Okami was the last Wii game I bought. Now there are a few that I want to buy now. However, I decided to get an XBOX 360 because there are a few games that I really want to play that aren't available for the Wii. We'll see if I go from causual to hardcore, I doubt it though. ;)

If I buy one game a month, I consider that pretty fast-paced given my schedule. ;) I'm just glad to see Nintendo succeed in making gaming even more mainstream than ever.

As for game recommendations, I still don't know why Shaun White Snowboarding: Road Trip doesn't get more love. It's the first in-house Ubisoft Wii game that actually makes me believe they want to do quality stuff on the system...

--R.J.

[quote name='MP77']I'm confused, you have two Wii's and will buy a third. Or you have owned a Wii and two separate times, currently don't have one, and will buy one for the third time?

Either way the scenario is kinda bizarre sounding.[/quote]

Sorry.

I owned my first Wii from April to July 2007. The second was from November 2007 to April 2008. The first was traded in for a PS3. I sold the second one on EBay. I just want to clarify that.

[quote name='vherub']op- I don't understand, are you asking on behalf of yourself or some vague stereotype?[/quote]

I'm asking if anybody here has encountered "the vague stereotype" asking for advice about buying a game on this forum. Where I've been, you won't find anyone. Somebody who would buy Calvin Tucker's Redneck Jamboree without one thought, for example.

Hmmm.

There's a game recommendation thread up there in the stickied section of this board. Pretty sure you can ask any question up there, running a full spectrum of available games. I think the general consensus runs fairly maintained across the board, meaning we tend to agree more than not. So if you are wondering about a Wiiware title or a retail release, you'll get a fairly honest answer out of the group. Additionally, we have suggestions on the majority of genres, so there's no worries there either.

As for casual vs non, there's a mix of both. I'm not going to speculate on which there is more of, nor is it worth caring about.

Beyond that, not sure what you're really looking for in terms of an "answer" here, but feel free to let us know if we didn't give a satisfying one.

I'm like a lot of people here, the Wii has more than enough quality games out to keep me satisfied. I've bought 16 games since I bought my Wii back in March of last year, plus 4 WiiWare games and 6 VC games. For less than a year, that's more than enough for me and I still have a lot of gaming to do to get through those games, so it'll be months before I buy anything new.

But for people with a lot of spare time, whose main hobby is gaming, I could see how the lineup for the Wii is a little lacking. But if you're that serious of a gamer, it's pretty much a given that you'd own a second system.

[quote name='Strell']
There's a game recommendation thread up there in the stickied section of this board. Pretty sure you can ask any question up there, running a full spectrum of available games.[/quote]Especially if you want to know about fishing games. What the hell, guys? Is there that big a market for fishing games?

You've answered my question. None. Still, it would be interesting if a Soccer Mom came here looking for advice. That would be a smart move. I guess they still pick the fishing game that has the coolest box cover or cheapest price. Quality? What's quality to them?

I'd like to think our horrifying nature of sexy avatars scares off soccer moms. Mine especially so. Crotch's too if the person is of certain vocations and creeds.

If we have to pull out the big guns - Lilboo - then out the big guns come. A ho ho ho. Our defenses are crustily fortified indeed.

A soccer mom probably picks whatever is the cheapest, unless their kid asked for something specific. Which probably is already the cheapest, since they played it at a friend's house, whose mom is also a soccer mom, and bought the cheapest game to begin with.

My sister asked me about games to get for my kids and her kids. My sister-in-law asked me about games to get for my kids and her kids. My aunt-in-law asked me about games to get for my kids and her partner. My mother-in-law asked me about games to get my kids. I felt a bit overwhelmed this past xmas. I wish they'd all come here instead.

Like others here, the Wii has given me more than enough games to play and I am still catching up from previous games released. That's just retail too, with the VC/WW on top of the fact and I have plenty of games to honestly play. I typically buy about two, maybe three games a month and I have yet to become bored with the system.

With the DS as my second platform, and with the fact I don't have a lot of time nowadays, and I'm pretty content.

[quote name='Strell']I'd like to think our horrifying nature of sexy avatars scares off soccer moms. Mine especially so. Crotch's too if the person is of certain vocations and creeds.[/QUOTE]

You're trying to get me to turn avatars back on, aren't you? Well, you finally add me to your FC list in Animal Crossing and I'll see what I can do. In the mean time I'll continue to read a more compact, convenient and less obnoxious CAG. Oh, and if you've got anything saucy in your sig, I can't see that now either.

there have been posts on this board asking for recommendations of what to get for their kids, and sometimes good games for parents to play with their kids that aren't excessively violent.
This site isn't exactly the go to place for wii game recommendations for any type of gamer. I mean, there is a trickle of stuff, but it's not like the thread on vanillaware's latest awesome looking game is getting as many hits as random garbage clearance games.

[quote name='crunchewy']For us, we have Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, that Ocean game (the title of which is escaping me at the moment), [/quote]
Oh, you must mean
ENDLESS OCEAN, my favorite Wii game. You know, the one that kicks ass, is casual and fun, has *.mp3 support, and has a MSRP of $30? The one with the sequel being developed, like, right now?

Yeah, I love Endless Ocean too. :drool:
[/advertisement]

bread's done
Back