Has anybody reported any widespread PS3 glitches, issues or concerns.

evil_twin

CAGiversary!
I remember on day one some people were having issues with there Xbox 360s.
Has there been any widespread glitches reported?

Here's what I've encountered

HDMI refreshing doesn't work when you convert to DVI
Ipod is not compatible
my motorola Bluetooth headset is not pairing.

Hopefully they'll deal with these in updates

i had a customer that had a busted drive. everything booted up fine, menus worked, etc etc, but no matter what kind of disc he put it, it just would not load it.

I've heard 2 reports from people saying their PS3 broke...

One said they played one night and turned the machine off. The next day when they turned it on, the machine would only boot up about 1/2 way and just hang.

The other person said their machine just stopped working and wouldn't power on at all.

I think back to when the XBOX 360 was out and reports of problems were coming out. MS was claiming it was nothing more than normal/expected. Later (after it was pretty obvious the problems were not just normal/expected numbers), MS came out and offered free repairs (or rebates to those that paid for repairs) for systems built by a certain date (Jan 2006 if I remember correctly). At least they owned up and stood by their customers in that way.

The way I see it, consoles are so high tech nowadays that there really should be more work put into testing these things before releasing them. I've worked in computer manufacturing before and lemme tell ya, when the bosses push for numbers out the door, quality DOES suffer.

Another thing this reminds me of is the number of old school game consoles I've heard people talk about purchasing that worked compared to new ones. For example, I would be less concerned about purchasing an older used console (SNES/etc.) and having it work than I would some of the newer ones (XBOX/PS2/etc.). The more high tech "stuff" there is in the machines, the more opportunities there is for something to go wrong...lol.

[quote name='STATIC3D']
The way I see it, consoles are so high tech nowadays that there really should be more work put into testing these things before releasing them. I've worked in computer manufacturing before and lemme tell ya, when the bosses push for numbers out the door, quality DOES suffer.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. We aren't just dealing with Nintendo 64 cartridge technology anymore. Sure, static hardware and a standard OS means it would take less testing than most PC titles (that need to be tested for a variety of hardware components, drivers and OSs) but all 3 of the companies really should be more proactive in their QA. Microsoft's history with Windows means they should know better. Sony wants to classify these things as computers, so they should test them like they are. And Nintendo for the first time is dealing with online updating and internal, writable storage.

Like was said above, I think most of these problems are more of a symptom of rushing the consoles out as opposed to poor design.

On the plus side the majority of the issues for the PS3 seem to be those that can be fixed via updates and not the system itself breaking. Still to early to tell though.

If there were widespread glitches or bugs, you would have heard of them by now. The problems described in the above posts are isolated incidents

As a long time gamer, I prefer my console gaming to be a closed environment. By that, I mean, when I purchase a console game, I want it to be complete out of the box without ANY need for online connections/patches/etc. See, here's the deal. I was a console gamer way back and migrated to the PC back when the PC was able to do things consoles were not. And, during that time (not unlike now) PC gaming requried a lot of messing with stuff to get games to run just right (Load High anyone?).

Anywho, with the increase of online connections for PCs, I noticed more and more PC games started being pushed to store shelves in less than finsihed (or at least fully tested) states. It was the "ship now, patch later" mentality. That was one of the things that hurt PC gaming when consoles were starting to catch up in game quality/complexity/etc. Consoles didn't have that problem. The games were tested, and in most cases worked, better in a "out of the box" way. So, a lot of people turned away from PCs and towards consoles.

Some examples of buggy console games on consoles did make it out, but, were often hampered by bad sales (and rightfully so). One version of Gran Tarismo came out that had the 98% complete issue (as in that's as far as the game could be completed) which Sony offered to replace the disc with a corrected version. However, in most cases, what you purchased is what you got...good or bad.

It wasn't until the ability of consoles to connect online (i.e. XBOX Live) that a game could as easily be patched if there was an issue that made it out of testing. Now, with these "next gen" consoles (360/PS3/wii), their reliance on online connections could likely lead down the very same road that was seen with PC gaming. Publishers may have less of an issue shipping a game with known issues by using the online connection as a fallback plan for patching these things later.

This all sounds great until you realize how many of us CAG'ers have older consoles that would no longer have their online connections still active (Dreamcast anyone?) to download those types of patches. So, whether it's the console itself, or the games produced for them, they should be as rock solid as possible "out of the box" before we purchase them.

I'm not saying console gaming will go to hell in a handbasket. But, it's just too easy for a publisher to squeek something by and rely on the online connection as a "fix it later" method. Perhaps I'm just strange, but I like things I purchase to be ready for me to use without any need for "fixing" first...lol.

[quote name='Puffa469']Hard to tell if there are any widespread problems when 80% of the consoles purchased on launch day are being sold on Ebay.[/quote]

I don't think it is that many, but I see what you're saying. I still think we would have heard of problems by now though. Maybe Dec 25th will be the true date

Lol yeah its funny that with all the hate sony got more of my friends are having problem with their wii's then with their PS3's.

[quote name='STATIC3D']As a long time gamer, I prefer my console gaming to be a closed environment. By that, I mean, when I purchase a console game, I want it to be complete out of the box without ANY need for online connections/patches/etc. See, here's the deal. I was a console gamer way back and migrated to the PC back when the PC was able to do things consoles were not. And, during that time (not unlike now) PC gaming requried a lot of messing with stuff to get games to run just right (Load High anyone?).

Anywho, with the increase of online connections for PCs, I noticed more and more PC games started being pushed to store shelves in less than finsihed (or at least fully tested) states. It was the "ship now, patch later" mentality. That was one of the things that hurt PC gaming when consoles were starting to catch up in game quality/complexity/etc. Consoles didn't have that problem. The games were tested, and in most cases worked, better in a "out of the box" way. So, a lot of people turned away from PCs and towards consoles.

Some examples of buggy console games on consoles did make it out, but, were often hampered by bad sales (and rightfully so). One version of Gran Tarismo came out that had the 98% complete issue (as in that's as far as the game could be completed) which Sony offered to replace the disc with a corrected version. However, in most cases, what you purchased is what you got...good or bad.

It wasn't until the ability of consoles to connect online (i.e. XBOX Live) that a game could as easily be patched if there was an issue that made it out of testing. Now, with these "next gen" consoles (360/PS3/wii), their reliance on online connections could likely lead down the very same road that was seen with PC gaming. Publishers may have less of an issue shipping a game with known issues by using the online connection as a fallback plan for patching these things later.

This all sounds great until you realize how many of us CAG'ers have older consoles that would no longer have their online connections still active (Dreamcast anyone?) to download those types of patches. So, whether it's the console itself, or the games produced for them, they should be as rock solid as possible "out of the box" before we purchase them.

I'm not saying console gaming will go to hell in a handbasket. But, it's just too easy for a publisher to squeek something by and rely on the online connection as a "fix it later" method. Perhaps I'm just strange, but I like things I purchase to be ready for me to use without any need for "fixing" first...lol.[/QUOTE]

Sacred would not even work until all sorts of shit was done(patches and stuff). Kinda stupid to buy a game for 40 or 50 bucks and then have to screw with it for 3 hours before I can play it.

I'd tend to agree that the buggy games is a universally growing problem and not just limited to any 1 system. Unfortunately though from a business standpoint it makes more sense to push out a mostly working game then spend months more debugging it. Especially since the people who buy the game act as game debuggers.

This is why I'll wait for the price drops, not only will it cost a lot less, but there will be games I want to play, and the system will be more likely to last a long time. I didn't get my PS2 for a good while and have had no problems with mine. I also have tons of PS2 games I still need to play before getting a next gen system. I mean honestly, FFXII, Disgaea 2, and VP all just came out. However much some people hate sony, they win in my book for supporting PS2 through to the end (why there are still more PS2s getting sold than 360s last I looked)

I agree from a business perspective about releasing buggy games (not that I "like" it...lol). My main problem (as a gamer/consumer) with stuff like this is that without finished/complete content in our hands "out of the box", it will become that much harder to go back and play old game (by the time games from now become old).

For example, say I purcahse a used original XBOX at a garage sale and I want to play a game on the system (or perhaps via System Link) that had some downloadable content on Live back in the day. As some content can only be directly downloaded to the harddrive, I wouldn't be able to transfer it from one XBOX to another (either directly or via memory card). And, since it's in the future, Live access for an original XBOX will most likely not be around. Oh well, so much for being able to play the game's additional content. That's just for added content, not patches that fix problems/etc.

bread's done
Back