Has anybody tried the Trigger Grips for the Vita for extra comfort?

Anthony1

CAGiversary!
PS-Vita-Grip.jpg

buypsvitaassistgrip%25255B6%25255D.jpg

Just wondering if anybody has tried these. I've watched some YouTube videos on them, and the people using them seem to think they are pretty much a must have accessory for anybody interested in a bit more ergonomics and comfort.

My only issue with getting one, is the fact that all the Vita cases are designed to hold only the Vita, not some trigger grips as well. I still don't have a case yet, but I'm thinking that if I really love these trigger grips, then I would need to get some kind of pouch that would accommodate the Vita with the Trigger grips already on the Vita. Maybe a Kindle Fire pouch or something like that.....

I was considering various grips, but I already have the Hori Face Cover for my Vita, and I know that any grips will be incompatible with the cover (which I really love!):

5cx8go.jpg

2qio6fr.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the trigger grips from Amazon for $15. When they get here, I'll be sure to post what I think about them. There is actually a mod already for them, where you open them up, adjust a spring, and make the hole that the spring goes into a little bigger, and then supposedly, after that the triggers are absolutely perfect. So, I will most likely do that mod.

Also, it's advised to glue a small amount of soft fabric to the plastic things on the trigger grips that touch the shoulder buttons on the Vita. That way, you don't have hard plastic, hitting against the shoulder buttons all the time.

If you check the youtube videos on the trigger grips, this one dude basically explained how he glued a tiny bit of soft material onto that part, so that there wouldn't be any long term damage to the physical shoulder buttons of the Vita.

It's kinda lame that you need to do two mods to the grips to make them truly functional, but apparently, after you do those two mods, you're pretty much set, and the comfort level is supposedly vastly improved, so it sounds good to me.

I just wanted to update the fact that I've been using this for several days now, and I've ultimately decided that I don't like it. I have two major gripes with it, and a few minor gripes. The first major gripe is that the plastic material that you are supposed to hold onto, is very slippery. My hands naturally want to slide off the grip. I thought the whole idea of having a grip is that it would be easy for your hands to hold it, but it just seems too damn slippery to me.

My other gripe is the fact that I think the bottom part of the grips (the handle part of the controller), aren't long enough. I'm sure they did it the way they did it, so that it wouldn't look so silly, but unfortunately, the grips are just too short imo. Maybe I have large hands compared to the average guy, but the grips don't extend far enough.

I'm sending this thing back, and I'm going to try some other grips.

I have he first one there in the picture made by PDP and licensed by Sony. They work well, but are not good for fighters. They clip on with a small ridge, so if you play fighters like I do (I cant stand still) you will constantly pop the Vita out of the case by putting to much pressure on the num of the grip. They added trigger extensions though are top notch!

[quote name='DonDonRaiden']I have he first one there in the picture made by PDP and licensed by Sony. They work well, but are not good for fighters. They clip on with a small ridge, so if you play fighters like I do (I cant stand still) you will constantly pop the Vita out of the case by putting to much pressure on the num of the grip. They added trigger extensions though are top notch![/QUOTE]

But don't you find the material it's made out of, or at least the coating they put on it to be slippery? I couldn't believe how slippery it was. At first, I loved the thing, but the more time I spent with it, the more time I realized that I was constantly adjusting my grip on it, because it's so slippery.

[quote name='ral1121']You guys should try this one out. I will probably get them around when Resistance launches.

This do have an extra amount of grip at the bottom and these don't slide out of your hands since it is not made out of plastic.

I don't have these yet but people that found problems with the grip that you used have found this to be superior:

http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Digital-V...SZ58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333100964&sr=8-2[/QUOTE]

I found the same ones on Ebay for $8.69 shipped. I ordered one of them to try out. Unfortunately, I think it's coming from Hong Kong, so it will take a few weeks to get to my house. The Amazon one will come much quicker, but cost like 3 or 4 bucks more.

[quote name='ral1121']You guys should try this one out. I will probably get them around when Resistance launches.

This do have an extra amount of grip at the bottom and these don't slide out of your hands since it is not made out of plastic.

I don't have these yet but people that found problems with the grip that you used have found this to be superior:

http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Digital-V...SZ58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333100964&sr=8-2[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Anthony1']But don't you find the material it's made out of, or at least the coating they put on it to be slippery? I couldn't believe how slippery it was. At first, I loved the thing, but the more time I spent with it, the more time I realized that I was constantly adjusting my grip on it, because it's so slippery.

I found the same ones on Ebay for $8.69 shipped. I ordered one of them to try out. Unfortunately, I think it's coming from Hong Kong, so it will take a few weeks to get to my house. The Amazon one will come much quicker, but cost like 3 or 4 bucks more.[/QUOTE]

Mine should be here tomorrw from Amazon. One of the reviewers on there said he has all 3 & this one's the best for bigger hands. Also, it has some type of rubber texture coating on the grips. I love the Vita...but after 20-30 mins of gaming, it gets annoying holding it. I'll post my impressions of it by tomorrow night or Sunday at the latest. And damn it, I should've looked on eBay 1st!

[quote name='Nucking Futs!'] And damn it, I should've looked on eBay 1st![/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the problem with buying from Hong Kong is the wait time. It could be another two full weeks before I see that thing. Maybe even 3 weeks.

I've been using it for the last few days & previously, my hands would get sore after 20-30 mins but now with this, I can honestly say it feels VERY comfy in my hands even after 1.5 - 2 hours of usage! Rubberized coating helps out tremendously especially if you sweat often. Doesn't scratch the Vita & mounting takes 2-seconds with the on/off switch/bracket. Although, I wish it was collapseable/foldable so I can store it easier since it's kinda bulky (TWSS!) but it's not a big deal. Also, it blocks off the game slot & charging port when in use. Overall, it's a good price for something like this & I'd recommend it.

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']Also, it blocks off the game slot & charging port when in use. Overall, it's a good price for something like this & I'd recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but this would be a deal-killer for me. Big hassle to have to take off the grip just to charge the system, or change the game card.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Sorry, but this would be a deal-killer for me. Big hassle to have to take off the grip just to charge the system, or change the game card.[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize since I didn't make these grips! :mrgreen: FWIW, it literally takes 2-seconds to mount/dismount. Besides, I don't know of any Vita cases that's designed to allow you to fit in that specific case with any type of grip mounted.

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']No need to apologize since I didn't make these grips! :mrgreen: FWIW, it literally takes 2-seconds to mount/dismount. Besides, I don't know of any Vita cases that's designed to allow you to fit in that specific case with any type of grip mounted.[/QUOTE]

If "easy & unencumbered access to game slot" was a pre-requisite, I don't think the Vita was a wise choice, anyway. This door sucks.

edit:

Having owned the Vita for only a few days, I can certain attest to the unwieldy nature of the factory form-factor (holy alliteration, Batman!). I have relatively small hands, and I find that my left thumb cramps badly at the bottom joint from the need to constantly "reach" for either the D-Pad or the Analog Stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the Triggger Grip for about 3 weeks now and love it. It has a good non-slip feel to the grip, and I love the the placement of the triggers. I have pretty average size hands, and the grip is a perfect fit and feels comfortable for long gaming sessions. I don't think I could go back to playing the Vita without it. My only gripes are that it pushes my screen protector up in one corner and I wish I had another case that it could fit in. Overall though, I'd definitely recommend it.....

I got the new Grip in the mail today. This is the one with the longer handles, and the thing that blocks the charging connector and the game insert.

1. Uses the exact same slippery plastic coating that the Trigger Grips use :(

2. Other than that, they feel great, and are much better than the Trigger Grips, (imo) :)

What really sucks, is I need to ship those trigger grips back to Amazon, and take a loss on that whole thing. I was trying to sell them locally via Craigslist, just to break even or just loose 1 buck, but I couldn't sell the things.

Well, I can say that I have had the Trigger Grips (small handles) for a week, now, and I love them. If anyone here is thinking of buying them, I encourage you to get them from Anthony1 :D

bread's done
Back