Has anyone besides me ever read any of the Halo books?

XboxMaster

CAGiversary!
I was wondering, 'cause I think they're a good, quick read. Currently, there are three of them. Their names in order of how you're supposed to read them are: Fall of Reach, The Flood, and The First Strike. The Fall of Reach is pretty much the prequel of the actual game. It describes how the Master Chief was placed in the Spartan training, describes the training, and goes through all the events that lead up to them going to Halo. The Flood is pretty much just a book version of the game, although it's still cool to read 'cause they have a lot of extra story elements that weren't in the game. And since I haven't finished The Flood yet, I don't know what the First Stirke is about. I'm sure it's a prequel to Halo 2. Anyway, it's really cool to learn more about the Halo universe in these novels and it also really amplifies the story for the games and makes you feel for the characters more while playing the game. I suggest reading these sometime if you have some extra time to do so. It should only take you a month or so to read all three and you'll feel like you know everything about Halo. :D

I read the Fall of Reach and The Flood. They're not too bad and give some good background on the Halo Universe.

I have all three books, and they are very good. I would recommend them to anyone wanting more story out of the Halo universe.

i have one of them that I got for free back then for pre-ordering halo for pc. I haven't even touched it, but I plan on reading it sometime in the future.

I have all three of them, and they're all pretty good. The Flood was a little less interesting IMO because you basically knew what was going to happen, and it was less realistic in combat than in The Fall of Reach. What I mean is, when MC first encounters an Elite in Fall of Reach, there's an epic two page battle. In The Flood, MC is taking them out with one or two shots each. Bad ass, but a dramatic difference. The good part about The Flood is the other storylines -- you follow Captain Keyes and other marines, even an Elite and a Grunt.

Also I think Eric Nylund (who wrote Fall of Reach and First Strike) is just a better author.

First Strike is, as was mentioned, a prequel to Halo 2. It follows immediately after the events of the game/The Flood and has a lot of surprises along the way. Very good read.

They're all awesome and if you're into Halo, they're good reads. You can buy them in a trilogy box set now for pretty cheap, too.

[quote name='the_gloaming']I have all three of them, and they're all pretty good. The Flood was a little less interesting IMO because you basically knew what was going to happen, and it was less realistic in combat than in The Fall of Reach. What I mean is, when MC first encounters an Elite in Fall of Reach, there's an epic two page battle. In The Flood, MC is taking them out with one or two shots each. Bad ass, but a dramatic difference. The good part about The Flood is the other storylines -- you follow Captain Keyes and other marines, even an Elite and a Grunt.

Also I think Eric Nylund (who wrote Fall of Reach and First Strike) is just a better author.

First Strike is, as was mentioned, a prequel to Halo 2. It follows immediately after the events of the game/The Flood and has a lot of surprises along the way. Very good read.

They're all awesome and if you're into Halo, they're good reads. You can buy them in a trilogy box set now for pretty cheap, too.[/quote]

Yeah, it kinda messed up the balance when they switched the author.

I read Fall of Reach but haven't bothered with the other two. I'll have to add them to my reading list.

I picked up the boxed set of all three today, coincedentally. I plan to finish them over the course of this week.

On a related note, I finally beat Halo for the first time Friday, playing co-op with a friend.

bread's done
Back