Has anyone ever heard of something like this....?

karsh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My computer seems to be going as crazy as Tom Cruise is anymore. It seems like whenever I use my mouse-wheel in Internet Explorer (I quit using IE because of this), my computer restarts. This had been going on since I got my computer, so I switched over to Firefox and things are fine. However, now when I play Guild Wars or other computer games, my computer has a tendency to eventually restart. At first I thought it was something going on inside my computer, but I'm pretty sure everything is fine in there. That's when I realized that I'm pretty sure most of the time it does restart, it's when I'm using my mouse-wheel to change camera angles or something like that. Does that make any sense at all? How could a mouse-wheel cause my computer to restart?

Never heard of this problem. If you haven't already, maybe you can go to your mouse's manufacturer's website and download the latest driver for it and re-install the driver?

I agree with bradr. It sounds like some sort of driver issue. The problem is trying to find wich driver is causing the problem. My guess is that is either the mouse drivers or your graphics card drivers.

I definitely updated the drivers for both of those yesterday, and it's still happening. I'm convinced it has something to do with the scroll wheel though, cause I definitely played Guild Wars for a good amount of time yesterday, forcing myself to not use the wheel, and it never restarted.

Is it a ps2 mouse or usb?? If its ps2, your mouse port might be taking a crap. Try a usb mouse and see if it still happens.

It's a USB mouse.

And the reason I just don't buy a new one is I want it to still be an optical mouse, but without a scroll wheel. Apparently those don't exist, and I'm not going back to a trackball mouse.

[quote name='karsh']It's a USB mouse.

And the reason I just don't buy a new one is I want it to still be an optical mouse, but without a scroll wheel. Apparently those don't exist, and I'm not going back to a trackball mouse.[/QUOTE]

Sure they do. My girlfriends stock Dell mouse that shipped with her system is optical with no scroll wheel. I bet you could find one on eBay, or maybe even Dell's site, for pretty damn cheap.

bread's done
Back