Has anyone tried the MadCatz Xbox 360 ARCADE GameSTICK?

Bump, does anyone know if the spinner control will work with Tempest on Atari Anthology? I am thinking of buying this stick at Best Buy with the coupon.

I saw this at gamecrazy the other day...it looked cool, but I ain't paying $60 for it. Someone else can be the "guinea pig". :)

I suppose I'm the guinea pig.
Although it's nice to have a real d-pad for puzzle games and such (instead of the standard disc-pad) , on the whole this thing is awkward and not too useful. I found the stick to be too long and loose (zing!) making the button on top harder to use. And I haven't really found a good use for the "spinner" yet. They should have referred to it as a "dial" because it doesn't actually spin with any momentum, you just turn it like a somewhat stiff volume knob.
My advice: by a cheap controller with a cross style d-pad, that's the only real benefit of the madcatz stick IMO.

[quote name='Narbotic']I suppose I'm the guinea pig.
Although it's nice to have a real d-pad for puzzle games and such (instead of the standard disc-pad) , on the whole this thing is awkward and not too useful. I found the stick to be too long and loose (zing!) making the button on top harder to use. And I haven't really found a good use for the "spinner" yet. They should have referred to it as a "dial" because it doesn't actually spin with any momentum, you just turn it like a somewhat stiff volume knob.
My advice: by a cheap controller with a cross style d-pad, that's the only real benefit of the madcatz stick IMO.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, you just saved me $45.

man if only Microsoft would authorize an X-Arcade adaptor already!!!!

I'd be hooked up with 2 joysticks for just twenty bucks total.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You should be able to take it back to the store and return it because your dissatisfied with the product.[/quote]

He may have already used the 3 game codes (I suppose he could still do it but he would be doing something immoral)

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']He may have already used the 3 game codes (I suppose he could still do it but he would be doing something immoral)[/QUOTE]
Yep, I punched them in the day of acquisition, but thanks for your concern.
Doesn't bother me much tho - what with all the crazy deals I've gleaned from these forums. :cool:
Thanks to all, btw.

[quote name='Narbotic']I suppose I'm the guinea pig.
My advice: by a cheap controller with a cross style d-pad, that's the only real benefit of the madcatz stick IMO.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the impressions...I'm off the fence now (on the "don't buy it" side).

4758mo8.gif

what the hell? how does it fit in your hand to use the d-pad?

i like the looks of the d-pad but what the hell were they thinking with this design?

Mad Catz products are completely worthless by default. I can't imagine this being any different. And for that price? No fucking way.

Bumping this old thread because I found this controller at Target for $20 today. I bought it just because it was on clearance figuring I could check out reviews when I got home. I suppose the stick is still not worth the money?

I bought one today at Target , it might be good to teach my daughter [3] how to play XBLA games .

It does have an 'A' button on the top of the stick though .
I wish it was oriented like an Atari joystick [the buttons are on the wrong side] with an 'a'button in the upper left corner .

The stick has too large of a throw to it to use as an old school stick .
A fighting stick has good short throws on it for games like Pac-Man .

It's $20 at Target I'll wait til the next drop, then I can get all 3 arcade games cheaper this way and have a free crappy joystick.

[quote name='Shin Mikhal']Does this controller have the L and R triggers/bumpers?[/QUOTE]
Yes , all buttons are present , the triggers are not analog though .

It also has a spinner on it for games like Tempest .

[quote name='Richlough']The stick has too large of a throw to it to use as an old school stick .
A fighting stick has good short throws on it for games like Pac-Man .[/QUOTE]
I think this is its biggest fault. I could put up with the design if the stick worked well but it's just too loose to be precise enough for most arcade games.

my target just dropped it from $27 to $20. I don't play live arcade enough for it to matter. plus I just really like the official MS controller.

[quote name='Shin Mikhal']Does this controller have the L and R triggers/bumpers?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the L side is completely unusable when you're using the actual stick, and if you're just using the pad, are too far away to be comfortable.

Still, $20 for $20 in XBLA games and a free controller isn't bad..

The D-pad is alright. It makes Pac-Man CE a bit easier to control. The stick is pretty worthless except for 2-D flying games that require quick, broad movements. It actually works pretty well in Ageis Wing. Probably Time Pilot as well. For other games, it's ridiculously inaccurate. The "spinner" is a complete joke -- it's impossible to control with any degree of precision. It made Zuma and Luxor impossible to play, so tell me what game would it be good for?

It might be worth the $20 I paid for it if you wanted those games anyway, but otherwise, it's pretty awkward and generally kinda crap.

bread's done
Back